2013 NBA Trade Deadline Thread: February 21

Its the same argument that I made with Bogut and the Warriors. Now, obviously, I am not comparing LeBron James to Andrew Bogut....but the point remains. An undersized backcourt could work fine, assuming that the other 3 positions can make up for this deficiency in size.

Problem is, most of the time that we have seen an undersized backcourt in the NBA, it hasnt been paired up with other players that could make it a non-issue. Thats why everyone has the opinion that an undersized backcourt would never work. It absolutely could work. You just need the correct pieces around it.
I actually like Eric Gordon. I think he will be a promising talent in this league if he stays healthy.  I'm not trying to straight up disagree with you or shut you down either, I just feel like the circumstances surrounding the trade are all completely wrong.  Warriors just lost 6 straight so they're in a bit of a panic mode. Eric Gordon has just as bad an injury history as Stephen Curry, I really have a bad feeling about that back court, not only because it's "undersized", but more along the lines that it is injury prone.

I agree with you that we need a slasher and someone that can get in the paint, Curry is ok but he lacks the strength to get to the hole (and I don't think he'll ever be strong enough, like Jason Kidd or Chris Paul), Klay Thompson will probably never be that player.  But I feel like we have that piece in development in Harrison Barnes (Kid can DUNK can't he?!).  He's showing he has the athleticism and the ball handling skills to slash into the paint then finish, or dump out to the shooters.  Klay Thompson is still young, he seems like he has the work ethic to become great and work on his game.  He still has time to develop his defense.  

I think Curry is really still trying to improve his mindset while he's on the court, which is why he's less effective on the defensive end.  When you're on the floor thinking about your right ankle and the defender in front of you you're gonna get beat every single time.  They just need to let it pan out, if the playoffs don't happen this season it shouldn't be a big deal.  The surprise start they gave us was nice, but who really expected anything more than a 7-8 seed out of them this season?  This same team got off to that hot start at the beginning of the season, losing 6 straight shouldn't justify panic mode right now.

Kidd and Deshawn Stevenson started most of the games that season. That Stevenson and Barea (he started a whopping two games in the regular season) switch didn't occur until the Finals when Carlise realized Mike Bibby couldn't guard Barea and to bring more size off the bench with Stevenson.
I never said J.J. and Kidd were the starting backcourt all season. Carlisle played them together in the Playoffs when games mattered the most -- and it worked for a Championship.

Dallas made it work during their Championship season. Carlisle played Kidd and that runt J.J. together. Kidd was checking Kobe at the end of games in that thrashing they gave LA.
Kidd and Deshawn Stevenson started most of the games that season. That Stevenson and Barea (he started a whopping two games in the regular season) switch didn't occur until the Finals when Carlise realized Mike Bibby couldn't guard Barea and to bring more size off the bench with Stevenson.

Stop it.

Jason Kidd was on the court with either JJ or JET for a vast majority of the championship run.

Hell there was plenty of times JJ, JET and Kidd where on the court together.

You can do things like that when a good defensive anchor.

Read this and you'll understand why it's difficult to build around Monta.

I agree with most of it. But he's not as much of a liability on D as they made him out to be. In certain situations he could be which is i guess the point of the article. but he's actually been pretty good this year. It's not that hard to fit him in on a team where he can play D. And it's what Dland said.

An undersized backcourt could work fine, assuming that the other 3 positions can make up for this deficiency in size. Problem is, most of the time that we have seen an undersized backcourt in the NBA, it hasnt been paired up with other players that could make it a non-issue. Thats why everyone has the opinion that an undersized backcourt would never work. It absolutely could work. You just need the correct pieces around it.

Jennings and Monta have been harassing offenses all year with how quick they are. They force alot of turnovers. And I think it's because they're allowed to gamble so much. The bucks have so much length downlow. They just run around causing havoc and if they get beat you gotta go through a lot of height and length. I think this is a reason Sanders gets all the blocks he does and leads the league.

It's simple though. He's really not worth a damn if he can't make a shot.

Last edited:

I never said J.J. and Kidd were the starting backcourt all season. Carlisle played them together in the Playoffs when games mattered the most -- and it worked for a Championship.
Fair point.
Dallas made it work during their Championship season. Carlisle played Kidd and that runt J.J. together. Kidd was checking Kobe at the end of games in that thrashing they gave LA.

Stop it.

Jason Kidd was on the court with either JJ or JET for a vast majority of the championship run.

Well yeah, that point was made in my post about the Grizzlies' backcourt.

Last edited:
dont know why some are reluctant to trade Lamb. hes done nothing so far, even in the d-league.

sure he might be a decent player but its not gonna happen on the Thunder.

Gortat>>>>>>Perkins and Lamb
actually lamb has been pretty good in the d league so far:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/jeremy_lamb/game_by_game_stats.html
why? gortat improves your chances of winning a title now.
i get that.. but i also think better coaching does that as well

i want gortat.. but i would rather trade any combination of the following before lamb and the toronto 1st (assuming they take perkins):

maynor

PJ3

bobcats 2nd round pick

reggie jackson

our 1st

mavs 1st (top 20 protected in 2013, top 20 protected in 2014, top 20 protected in 2015, top 20 protected in 2016, top 20 protected in 2017 and unprotected in the 2018 Draft)

Last edited:
Perk Gortat swap is not even true lol...Otherwise, OKC would definitely take the WC, Perk might never ever smile again 
laugh.gif

Fair point.

Stop it.

Well yeah, that point was made in my post about the Grizzlies' backcourt.

Well then I apologize :D

^ true.. my bad..

just saw on twitter that it was being discussed over all-star weekend and probably dead

I would love to see the Cavs make a push for Josh Smith. They have a bunch of expirings so that they could sign him, and still make a splash in free agency

BANK OF CUBAN must be bouncing checks because the Mavs been quiet as hell.

True. Besides OJ and Dirk though, the mavs don't possess anybody that any team would actually desire if we're being honest. Cuban has said himself that OJ is untouchable, so who would anyone want from the Mavs? DC? Kaman? Marion maybe. VC is 35.

Still shocking though considering all the expiring contracts that they have.

If you want to do one last run with KG and PP (though I think they are holding on to them too long a la Phoenix Suns with Nash), you trade Rondo for help. The argument is that you really only have this year and MAYBE (a stretch) next year with a productive KG and Truth (who has a $4M buyout for next year). Trade Rondo to Phoenix for Gortat, Telfair and Beasely or draft picks. Celtics get the front court help they need as they have been horrible rebounding . You get guard help with Telfar, who isn't the answer but help. Helps fortify the team for one last run. If you don't think the team has what it takes, you blow it up and trade KG and PP now. All this talk about retiring as a Celtic is meaningless crap and naive fans not knowing any better. Yes, it sounds nice, but as a fan you want a team that is going to be competitive for years. Jordan and Dominique played with other teams after their Bull and Hawk days, and people still consdier them a Bull and Hawk, respectively.  Fans get too emotonal about these players (who really just want to get paid) and don't think about the big picture.

Look at the Suns. They gave away Nash. Let Amare and Joe Johnson walk with nothing in return. I remember when the Celtics kept McHale and Parish, they got nothing in return and the team sucked for better part of a decade with bad picks and bad luck (Reggie Lewis death and not getting Duncan). Anyone remember Ron Mercer and the Celtics giving up on Joe Johnson and Chauncey Bullups?

If I am Phoenix, this season is lost.Phoenix shoudld be jockeying for a good lottery pick. You signed a bunch mid-level junk and you gave away Nash when you could have gotten something back the past 3 years. You keep him out of loyalty, and the franchise has nothing to show for it. You get Rondo who has a great contract, and then you can rebuild. You follow the OKC blueprint of piling up draft picks and get players through the draft. Rondo will be healthy and he'll be a great player to build around with the right players or he's a great trade piece.

Again, this is all assuming the Celtics want to make one last run. If I were them, I would blow it up now and get assets. But, then you have a Celtic fan base that will not see their beloved KG and PP retire a Celtic. The thought of such a thing (sarcasm).

Last edited:
True. Besides OJ and Dirk though, the mavs don't possess anybody that any team would actually desire if we're being honest. Cuban has said himself that OJ is untouchable, so who would anyone want from the Mavs? DC? Kaman? Marion maybe. VC is 35.

Still shocking though considering all the expiring contracts that they have.
Kaman would be $8M off someone's books, Marion is still playing at a decent level, J. Crowder shows signs of potential, and Roddy B. has his flashes. So being optimistic, I had hoped we'd be in a position to put a decent package together to acquire a big man.

Remember when Mavs fans thought Roddy B was Wade with a jump shot?

Marion is the only person on that roster a team would trade for and he makes $9,316,796. If you figure yourself to be a potential NBA finalist, he's nice to have to throw at LeBron and to match their small ball lineups but again that salary at his age. :x

I feel like Denver has too many wings, I want to steal one of them but all their contracts suck too other than Brewer.

Perkins is sitting out tonight with a bruised knee. The Thunder insist it isn't a smokescreen for the reported deal centering around him and Lamb for Gortat and PJ Tucker.

Last edited:
So even if it is just for half a year if Josh Smith says he's willing to come here I think we should take a shot at the opportunity while we're already holding on to a playoff spot. We don't have a whole lot to lose other than ticket sales.

I get that, because that's the conventional wisdom here in Minnesota too. Get the guys, and while they're being forced to play against their will for you... THEN try to convince them to stay and realize "it's not so bad here".

I just don't get what another playoff series is gonna do for the Bucks... an inevitable first round exit.. with NBATV getting exclusive rights to an unwatchable playoff series just like three years ago when y'all went a full 7 with the Hawks.

Rebuild, and while you're doing that, don't construct a team with more chuckers than there are skyscrapers in Milwaukee. No one wants to be a mix of the Warriors pre-Klay and the Hawks of the 2000s. That makes about as much sense as Mike D'Antoni being a die-hard Badgers fan of Bo Ryan's electrifying offense.

Admitted Bulls fan, but I think all would be happy.

LAKERS: get Carlos Boozer and Rip Hamilton
BULLS: get Pau Gasol

Lakers get a post player, Bulls get a real Center and move Jo to PF.

BULLS: get Tyreke Evans, T Robinson and Jimmer Fredette
KINGS: get Luol Deng

Bulls can resign 'Reke with some of the vacated Deng money and pair him with Rose.
Kings get an ALL-WORLD great guy/very decent player in Luol for the move to Seattle.

BULLS starting 5: Rose, 'Reke, Taj (can gamble with smaller/athletic 3's), Jo and Pau....the bench, not so sure....but the bench now isn't that great, so :rolleyes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom