2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

Why UCLA tops USC right now
Metrics show that Bruins are a better team than the Trojans at the moment
Originally Published: November 12, 2012
By KC Joyner | ESPN Insider

It's been said that a rivalry isn't a rivalry unless both teams are winning some of the contests between the clubs.

If that is the case, no matter how heated the Battle of Los Angeles can be at times, it really can't qualify as a rivalry since the USC Trojans have beaten the UCLA Bruins 12 of the past 13 times these teams have squared off and posted a 50-0 victory last season that qualified as their largest margin of victory in this series in more than 80 years.

When that type of winning streak is combined with the volume of top-flight talent on the Trojans' roster (including four players ranked in the Scouts Inc. top 100 prospects in the 2013 NFL draft), it would seem that USC is very likely to make it 13 wins in 14 years.

However, when one takes a closer look at this matchup, it becomes clear that the Bruins are the best team in Los Angeles right now.

This statement isn't made under the same auspices of the rankings that have UCLA rated ahead of USC mostly by virtue of the Bruins having only two losses versus the Trojans' three, but rather because UCLA has equal or better talent across the board.

It starts at quarterback. This position would seem to be an easy win for USC since its passer, senior Matt Barkley, ranks as one of the highest rated quarterbacks in the upcoming NFL draft and Brett Hundley, UCLA's field general, is a redshirt freshman with only 10 starts under his belt.

Before giving Barkley that victory, however, let's look at how his basic numbers compare with Hundley's this year.

Comparing Matt Barkley and Brett Hundley's 2012 seasons
Quarterback Comp Att Comp % Yards YPA TD Int Rating
Barkley 349 226 64.8% 2,972 8.5 33 13 160.0
Hundley 329 227 69.0% 2,739 8.3 24 9 157.5
Those statistics are nearly even, so let's dive in a bit deeper.

According to cfbstats.com, when the numbers are culled out to include only those games versus foes from BCS-caliber conferences, Hundley takes the lead in YPA (8.6 to 8.4) and passer rating (161.9 to 157.9).

That Hundley's numbers are that close to Barkley's is impressive on its face, and yet it doesn't even take into account the supposed lead USC has in the area of pass-receiving talent.

The Trojans definitely have the top wideout between the two teams in Marqise Lee. Lee leads the nation in receptions (98) and receiving yards (1,447) and by virtue of those numbers is probably the leading contender for the Biletnikoff Award that honors the best wide receiver in college football.

Lee also has an impressive 10.4 yards per attempt (YPA) mark against BCS-caliber competition that compares quite favorably with the YPA marks posted by the top wide receiver prospects in last year's NFL draft.

The problem Lee presents for Barkley's case is that if his numbers are taken out of the equation, Barkley's YPA drops to a mediocre 7.1 mark.

Now let's do the same thing for Hundley and his No. 1 wide receiver, Shaquelle Evans. It might come as a surprise to find that Evans has a slightly higher YPA than Lee (10.6), but his total is based on only 48 targets, so Hundley's YPA is reduced to 8.1, or a full yard higher than Barkley.

That number shows two things. First, even though the UCLA offense doesn't have a singular talent of Lee's caliber, it has done a better job this season of developing quality receiving targets across the board.

Second, it also illustrates just how bad of a campaign Robert Woods is having. Woods was named to the first-team All-Pac 12 team last year in large part due to his voluminous numbers (111 receptions, 1,292 receiving yards), yet his follow-up performance this season has fallen well short of reaching last season's bar both on a volume basis (61 receptions, 653 yards) and a YPA basis (8.0 in 2011, 6.9 in 2012).

The USC offense also came into this year with the makings of a powerful rushing attack, as the combination of four returning starters on the offensive line and the explosive skills of running back Curtis McNeal were reason enough to give this squad the top spot in my offseason preview of the nation's best rushing attacks -- and that was before the addition of former All-Big Ten running back Silas Redd.

So what kind of statistical edge has this superior collection of talent given the Trojans? None to speak of, as UCLA is gaining nearly as many yards on a per-carry basis (5.5 versus 5.6) and is posting significantly more rush yards per game (228.7 to 168.4) if sacks are removed from the rushing yards total.

Or, to put it another way, look at how UCLA running back Johnathan Franklin's numbers compare to Redd and McNeal's combined numbers:

Comparing Johnathan Franklin and USC RBs' 2012 seasons
Running back Attempts Yards YPC TD
Franklin 199 1270 6.4 8
Redd/McNeal 218 1229 5.6 11
Franklin has equaled that duo's performance all by himself.

Comparing UCLA and USC defenses
Category UCLA USC
Points allowed per game 24.7 23.5
Total yards allowed per game 411.0 390.8
Passing YPA allowed 7.0 6.6
Rushing YPC allowed 3.9 3.9
Total yards per play allowed 5.5 5.3
Sacks 38 37
Turnovers 25 28
Tackles for loss 79 79
Plays of 10+ yards allowed 130 149
It's not as if USC has an edge on defense, either. For proof, see how these programs compare in a variety of important defensive categories (table on the right).

Those numbers are nearly mirror images of each other and indicate just how even these units are.

Beyond the statistics, there is also the alarming tendency that USC has had this year in trying to coast by on talent most of a game and then needing to hit the urgency button when it starts to get late and the opposing team is still close on the scoreboard.

This has happened numerous times this season (Syracuse, Cal, Utah) and the bad habit showed up again in USC's clash against the Arizona Wildcats when the Trojans turned around a 10-0 first-quarter deficit to lead 28-13 in the third quarter, but started coasting again and let the Wildcats run off 26 unanswered points on the way to a 39-36 upset.

Now it is certainly possible that Lane Kiffin's squad will break this habit by taking UCLA seriously from the opening kickoff to the final gun, but when a team has displayed this type of on-and-off effort level for basically an entire season, it is not something that normally corrects itself.

When that weakness is combined with the fact the Bruins are playing every bit as well, and in some ways even better than the Trojans, it means Jim Mora's troops are the ones who are most likely to come away as the winners of The Victory Bell in this year's Battle of Los Angeles.

They'll jump ND after they beat Gerogia, jumping KState or Oregon would be tougher if those 2 win out. I cant even begin to imagine the ****storm that would explode if Bama gets in over an undefeated KState or Oregon :lol:

I can only imagine, but it looks like Alabama will be in the Sugar Bowl.

quote of the year
"Amazing how A&M developed all that SEC speed just since last season."
- Stewart Mandel

:lol:, because the whole "SEC Speed" is all perception... smoke and mirrors. Always has been, I'll go into it later.

#2 :smh: #1 in all human polls but #2 in BCS...sigh. bring on Stanford. College Game Day will be there as well.

Reality is that Oregon and KState are both interchangeable at the top, however if Oregon wins out the Conference title game will give them a major push into the #1 or #2 slot, safe to say they will be in the NCG if they win out. Can't say the same for KState. I can see a 1-loss Bama leap frogging KState. Especially since Big XII teams have taken major hits in the polls lately (mainly WVU and Texas Tech).

What the SEC has done in the BCS era is nothing short of genius, and it's paid off. Has it been the best conference, no doubt, however people put it in this otherwordly realm. Their elite teams are truly elite, however their middle of the pack teams really get the benefit of this newfound perception.

At the turn of the century:

Georgia- The post Dooley era was just forgettable, Bulldogs were floundering in mediocrity.
Florida - One of the solid programs of the 90's under Steve Spurrier, great rivalry with the Fulmer/Manning/Martin led Volunteers.
South Carolina - Did South Carolina even have a program? Doormat, with Vandy, Miss State and Kentucky
Vanderbilt - The SEC's "Ivy League" school, beten on like a nerd.
Tennessee - Great run under Fulmer, couldn't win the big one with Manning, but got over the hump with Martin at QB.
Kentucky - Basketball School.
Alabama - Too many issues, sanctions, etc. An era of futility.
LSU- A middling program, non-factor in the national picture. Known as the school Shaq attended before landing in the NBA.
Missisippi State - Doormat
Ole Miss - Probation and mediocrity
Arkansas- Former power of the SWC, always a shell of it's former self in their new conference.
Auburn - Sanctions and probation, decent teams here and there.

The SEC gets an infusion of cash from the CBS deal, which leads to money being funneled directly into these programs. Some schools start going after solid coaches. Most of the schools at the top now, didn't miss with these hires. Raised the profile of the conference, from middling to dominant.

Georgia- Hired FSU Offensive Coordinator Mark Richt. Richt has managed to bring the Bulldogs back to prominence although he hasn't been able to get them over the hump. No longer toying with medocrity, however still dealing with dissapointment.
Florida- Steve Spurrier left, Ron Zook was hired, filled the cupboard and Urban Meyer was hired away from Utah.
South Carolina- Steve Spurrier was hired and made South Carolina into a respectable program.
Vandy - Decent season here and there, nothing to write home about.
Tennessee-- One of the programs that went downhill despite resources.
Kentucky - Some things never change.
Alabama - Shula was gone, sanctions and probation were gone... hired Nick Saban. Rest is history.
LSU- Saban brought some respectability and was building a dynasty. NFL came calling, Les Miles kept the good times going.
Miss State - Expectations higher than reality, still bowl eligible which used to be a rarity.
Ole Miss - Eli Manning era aside, not a top tier team.
Arkansas - Another mid tier program, always on the cusp of making a run, just never happens.
Auburn - If it wasn't for Cam, they'll have the same description as Arky.

We can talk about opinions, let's just talk facts. SEC has half-heartedly entertained a 9 game conference schedule. There is really no benefit to it and it guarantees an additional conference loss. The Big Ten was going to roll with a 9-game conference schedule starting in 2017, they have since backed off...again, no benefit. The Pac 12 and the Big XII (Round Robin, no CCG) are the only two BCS conferences that have a 9 game conference schedule.

Let's look at this season:

These are just facts, the SEC has six teams in the Top 10. How did they get there? Frankly, play each other and play each other only. Of the six teams in the Top 10 combined, they have only played one team in the top 25 from another conference (Texas A&M/La. Tech). Of the six teams in the Top 10, all six combined have TWO opponents from another BCS conference (Bama/Michigan and LSU/UW). Otherwise, the six teams are full of Division 1AA (aka FCS) opponents an unbalanced and favorable schedule (7-8 home games, 4-5 road games).

Now, I still believe the elite teams are elite: Bama this year only. Everyone else, not so much.

Much credit to the SEC, they are working the system magnificently and all the honks on tv are eating it up. Like I said, sports journalism is in the toilet right now, so if you are looking for facts from the clowns on tv, wrong place. It's entertainment. So save the "so and so said".

What's the point of my long post, which most will ignore on this Monday afternoon (evening for you east coasters). Well, there will be a "playoff" soon, and frankly I'm shocked at how schedules have not been brought up. Otherwise, some conferences will have a major edge before even playing a down.

:lol:, because the whole "SEC Speed" is all perception... smoke and mirrors. Always has been, I'll go into it later.
Reality is that Oregon and KState are both interchangeable at the top, however if Oregon wins out the Conference title game will give them a major push into the #1 or #2 slot, safe to say they will be in the NCG if they win out. Can't say the same for KState. I can see a 1-loss Bama leap frogging KState. Especially since Big XII teams have taken major hits in the polls lately (mainly WVU and Texas Tech).
What the SEC has done in the BCS era is nothing short of genius, and it's paid off. Has it been the best conference, no doubt, however people put it in this otherwordly realm. Their elite teams are truly elite, however their middle of the pack teams really get the benefit of this newfound perception.
At the turn of the century:
Georgia- The post Dooley era was just forgettable, Bulldogs were floundering in mediocrity.
Florida - One of the solid programs of the 90's under Steve Spurrier, great rivalry with the Fulmer/Manning/Martin led Volunteers.
South Carolina - Did South Carolina even have a program? Doormat, with Vandy, Miss State and Kentucky
Vanderbilt - The SEC's "Ivy League" school, beten on like a nerd.
Tennessee - Great run under Fulmer, couldn't win the big one with Manning, but got over the hump with Martin at QB.
Kentucky - Basketball School.
Alabama - Too many issues, sanctions, etc. An era of futility.
LSU- A middling program, non-factor in the national picture. Known as the school Shaq attended before landing in the NBA.
Missisippi State - Doormat
Ole Miss - Probation and mediocrity
Arkansas- Former power of the SWC, always a shell of it's former self in their new conference.
Auburn - Sanctions and probation, decent teams here and there.
The SEC gets an infusion of cash from the CBS deal, which leads to money being funneled directly into these programs. Some schools start going after solid coaches. Most of the schools at the top now, didn't miss with these hires. Raised the profile of the conference, from middling to dominant.
Georgia- Hired FSU Offensive Coordinator Mark Richt. Richt has managed to bring the Bulldogs back to prominence although he hasn't been able to get them over the hump. No longer toying with medocrity, however still dealing with dissapointment.
Florida- Steve Spurrier left, Ron Zook was hired, filled the cupboard and Urban Meyer was hired away from Utah.
South Carolina- Steve Spurrier was hired and made South Carolina into a respectable program.
Vandy - Decent season here and there, nothing to write home about.
Tennessee-- One of the programs that went downhill despite resources.
Kentucky - Some things never change.
Alabama - Shula was gone, sanctions and probation were gone... hired Nick Saban. Rest is history.
LSU- Saban brought some respectability and was building a dynasty. NFL came calling, Les Miles kept the good times going.
Miss State - Expectations higher than reality, still bowl eligible which used to be a rarity.
Ole Miss - Eli Manning era aside, not a top tier team.
Arkansas - Another mid tier program, always on the cusp of making a run, just never happens.
Auburn - If it wasn't for Cam, they'll have the same description as Arky.
We can talk about opinions, let's just talk facts. SEC has half-heartedly entertained a 9 game conference schedule. There is really no benefit to it and it guarantees an additional conference loss. The Big Ten was going to roll with a 9-game conference schedule starting in 2017, they have since backed off...again, no benefit. The Pac 12 and the Big XII (Round Robin, no CCG) are the only two BCS conferences that have a 9 game conference schedule.
Let's look at this season:
These are just facts, the SEC has six teams in the Top 10. How did they get there? Frankly, play each other and play each other only. Of the six teams in the Top 10 combined, they have only played one team in the top 25 from another conference (Texas A&M/La. Tech). Of the six teams in the Top 10, all six combined have TWO opponents from another BCS conference (Bama/Michigan and LSU/UW). Otherwise, the six teams are full of Division 1AA (aka FCS) opponents an unbalanced and favorable schedule (7-8 home games, 4-5 road games).
Now, I still believe the elite teams are elite: Bama this year only. Everyone else, not so much.
Much credit to the SEC, they are working the system magnificently and all the honks on tv are eating it up. Like I said, sports journalism is in the toilet right now, so if you are looking for facts from the clowns on tv, wrong place. It's entertainment. So save the "so and so said".
What's the point of my long post, which most will ignore on this Monday afternoon (evening for you east coasters). Well, there will be a "playoff" soon, and frankly I'm shocked at how schedules have not been brought up. Otherwise, some conferences will have a major edge before even playing a down.

I agree with most all of this.

NCAA should step in and require conference schedules to be 9 games. If Pac-12 doesn't have 9 game sked, they could get 10-12 more wins in the conference per year. Agreed about the elite SEC teams being elite and the average teams just being average. It's amazing how conference strength has usurped the love for your own team. Frankly, I hate it. I don't want to have to cheer for Oregon State or Washington, or SC for that matter :wink: for Oregon to look better. I just want these conference obsessions to go away and just talk about individual teams.

BCS has produced a really weird view of CFB and the conferences in it

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely, had a huge bar argument with one of my buddies who's a USC fan/alum during the Oregon State/UCLA game. He was hoping UCLA would win, gave him the :stoneface: . His argument was that we don't have Oregon State on the schedule and it benefits us more if UCLA is ranked and "undefeated"... due to SOS.

Kept the :stoneface: : Just said "IDGAF about SOS, will always root for UCLA to go 0-12" :lol:

Definitely, had a huge bar argument with one of my buddies who's a USC fan/alum during the Oregon State/UCLA game. He was hoping UCLA would win, gave him the :stoneface: . His argument was that we don't have Oregon State on the schedule and it benefits us more if UCLA is ranked and "undefeated"... due to SOS.

Kept the :stoneface: : Just said "IDGAF about SOS, will always root for UCLA to go 0-12" :lol:

Yeah, I can't rock with the folks who are about their team AND their conference succeeding together. That's definitely the mindset of the people from smaller conferences, since they never get shine and they need someone from among them to do well.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't rock with the folks who are about their team AND their conference succeeding together. That's definitely the mindset of the people from smaller conferences, since they never get shine and they need someone from among them to do well.

Yeah, it sucks. I want to hate my rivals, but because of how media has twisted CFB into loving the conference, and the SEC being the main benefactor of that, I have to hope for my conference to do well and for the teams in it to win and to look better for my team to beat.

It's stupid.

Read that DAT might see time at corner this week against Stanford. Oregon's D gettin' THIN. Just need to pull out three wins and let the guys rest up. Patterson out with a torn ACL. Guys need to lighten up in practice :lol:

Galloway and Company (ESPN radio show here in Dallas) said the Longhorns told the Cotton Bowl committee that they would decline an invitation to the Cotton Bowl if they were matched up with TAMU :lol:

I'll withhold comment until something more concrete about the statements is out there.

Galloway and Company (ESPN radio show here in Dallas) said the Longhorns told the Cotton Bowl committee that they would decline an invitation to the Cotton Bowl if they were matched up with TAMU :lol:

I'll withhold comment until something more concrete about the statements is out there.

I mean, you kinda made a comment about it by posting that. Say it wit ya chest!

I mean, you kinda made a comment about it by posting that. Say it wit ya chest!

they're scared. they're ducking us at all costs. they want so dearly to cling to that last win. it's funny because among a lot of longhorns, they try and downplay A&M as a rival. in my experience, they've always said "you're not even our rival, we care about OU". and they hate that we're in the SEC now too so :rolleyes

I think that the ACC goes to 9 games next year (I know, I know, it's the ACC)

And as long as the same metrics for choosing top teams are applied to the playoff system, not much will change. The same teams and conference will still be involved and weild power. Unless you change that you're still gonna end up w/ the same, or similar results @ the end of the day IMO

I believe it.

If that is true, it's absolutely pathetic. not a good look if you're texas :smh:

8177841431_df9b01b548_o.gif

Just put it in a img /img bracket

Last edited:
saw this on facebook, not sure if true but :pimp:

Johnny Football needs 534 more yards in 3 games to break the SEC single season total yardage record. He will surpass the numbers set by Tim Tebow and Cam Newton in their Heisman seasons.

HeisManziel

Back
Top Bottom