2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

[h1]Syracuse football recruit Lamar Dawson fighting life-threatening disease; enrollment likely delayed[/h1]
Print
By Nate Mink | [email protected]
Follow on Twitter
on February 08, 2014 at 10:00 AM, updated February 08, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Chicago — The story of Lamar Dawson's signing day saga begins on Thanksgiving weekend when he woke up from an afternoon nap, his pillow stained with blood.

"What is that?" his father asked.

"I don't know," Lamar answered.

His father inspected his bloodied throat, and the next morning they drove to an immediate care center, where Lamar was told he had strep throat.

Seeing no improvement in his condition over the next couple of days, Lamar, a three-star cornerback prospect in Syracuse's 2014 recruiting class, met with his family doctor and blood samples were taken. The results were so alarming he checked into the emergency room at the nearby University of Chicago Medical Center. Lamar's platelet count was around 20,000, at least 10 times less than an average person, leading doctors to believe he was suffering from Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, a bleeding disorder in which the immune system destroys platelets.

Over the next week his white blood cell and red blood cell counts dropped as well, forcing Lamar back into a hospital bed where, four days before Christmas, he sent out a tweet asking for prayers while being tested for leukemia.

"That," he said, "was the scariest moment ever."

The wait lasted 30 minutes after doctors, still searching for a correct diagnosis, performed a bone marrow biopsy, numbing him up before drilling two large needles into his back. Tests for cancer came back negative. So did a test for HIV. Almost a month after waking up hours before a Turkey Bowl football game with friends with a bloody pillow, Lamar finally heard the words.

He had aplastic anemia, a non-contagious but life-threatening disease in which bone marrow fails to produce red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets.

Lamar feared the worst.

"It's your life on the line," he said, sitting on his couch wearing a quarter-zip and Miami Heat knit hat. "I wasn't worried about football that much."

Lamar said he has been in school three days since Thanksgiving break, including a brief time Wednesday morning when he signed his national letter intent to Syracuse. He is taking immunosuppressive therapy to treat the disease after a bone marrow match test with his 25-year-old brother, Theo, came back negative. Lamar orally takes more than 15 tablets a day — 10 when he wakes up in the morning — including two pills of cyclosporine every 12 hours. The medicine has left Lamar's leg muscles achy, causing pain when he walks. He stretches out his arm in front of his chest and extends his fingers, which shake uncontrollably while holding his iPhone. He has his homework emailed to him. He has not run or worked out in months, and he probably won't be able to until the end of March at the earliest, three months after he started the medication and three months before the therapy runs its course. He lost more than 10 pounds and is now down to 169. This is the alternative to death.

Choosing to wait until shortly after the diagnosis to inform the coaching staff of his health issues, Lamar and the staff will meet in May to make a final decision on whether to defer enrollment until January.

"The plan is January just because I'll have a chance to get healthy and not worry about trying to hurry up and work out and get back," said Lamar, who could enroll at a local college here as a part-time student and take prerequisite courses to get a jumpstart academically before joining Syracuse.

"That makes sense to me. It seems like the most logical thing to do. I don't feel like I'm going to be ready, just how slow this is going. I feel like January I can just take my time and be ready."

14239616-large.jpg
Syracuse football recruit Lamar Dawson was recently diagnosed with aplastic anemia, which could delay his enrollment until January.Bridget Allen | St. Rita HS  

Lamar lives in the Hyde Park section on the South Side of the city. His father, Theo, beams when sharing with a guest that President Barack Obama still has a house about a block away, black Secret Service vehicles constantly stationed outside ensuring motorists do not stop when passing by. Cruise through at the right speed, he says, turn your head to the left and you can catch a glimpse of the Obamas' backyard. Lamar and his family moved into the city from suburban Lockport before his junior year of high school. He enrolled at St. Rita of Cascia High School, an all-male Catholic school, and within a couple of practices was quickly identified by the coaching staff as a Division I talent.

Hip flexion, ball skills, footwork, Lamar was smooth on the field, eventually leading him to play a few snaps on offense and returns kicks. On defense, he would always match up against the opponent's best receiver. Earlier this season, his high school coach Todd Kuska said, Lamar contributed to shutting down Notre Dame-bound tight end Nic Weishar. Lamar drew interest from Big Ten schools such as Michigan State, Indiana and Minnesota as well as several Mid-American Conference schools. He settled on Syracuse primarily because of the opportunity to play early, given the number of departures in the secondary from last season.

Though they initially feared death, Lamar and his father had other concerns once it became clear the immunosuppressive therapy would be a viable treatment option. Would Syracuse honor Lamar's verbal commitment, or would the staff pull back the offer rather than take a risk on a sick kid who, though very unlikely, could relapse?

14240442-large.jpg
View full sizeSt. Rita's Lamar Dawson leaps over Loyola quarterback Peter Pujals. Reid Compton | For the Chicago Tribune  

These doubts quickly dissipated over a series of visits with members of the Syracuse coaching staff. Kuska, a longtime coach at the school, had known Shafer dating back to his time coaching at Northern Illinois. Rescinding the offer would betray everything he knew about him.

"And in all reality, it would be devastating to them in the Chicagoland area if they were to do something like that," Kuska said. "And I think most coaches understand that. You don't want to leave a black mark on your program and do that because that just doesn't win for anybody."

It's still unclear how Lamar developed aplastic anemia. Doctors gave up, saying it was far more important to spend time diagnosing the disease than searching for its cause. They believe it simply stemmed from a virus he caught.

Back inside his home on South Ellis Avenue, a thermometer rests on the bathroom sink. Lamar must take his temperature anytime he feels like he has a fever, because if the thermometer beeps, he must check back into the hospital. The TV is turned onto "SportsCenter." His father shares stories about Lamar's athletic prowess, how he excelled at all sports, including volleyball and soccer. He's noticed improvement in Lamar's cell levels since starting the medication.

"You don't want to start celebrating," Theo said, "because anything can happen."

Lamar excuses himself from the living room, grabs some money and slips out the front door, off to get a haircut and shave his beard.

The next morning he arrived in Kuska's office by 8:45 wearing a blue St. Rita shirt and red tie with dark blue stripes. He put on a blue Syracuse hat and signed his letter of intent.

He may not step foot on campus until January, but on this day, that is an outlook still worth smiling over, a time still worth celebrating.

Knew Jersey boy, Darius Slade, was coming to Columbus.

Malik, you're next. Only school mom and pops agree on.

Gibson ain't worried about Kaaya beating outanyone on the current roster for the job

Vols in play here :pimp:

same with Deberry except probably the favorite for Debery and Jaason Lewis.

Last edited:
Pops is on board w/ every school @ this point.

Mom is on board w/ any school not named MSU. She wasnt on FSU from jump, FSU got in relatively late compared to the other schools. She had issues w/ OSU @ 1st but that got smoothed over

Last edited:
Pops is on board w/ every school @ this point.

Mom is on board w/ any school not named MSU. She wasnt on FSU from jump, FSU got in relatively late compared to the other schools. She had issues w/ OSU @ 1st but that got smoothed over
I stand corrected. Good looks.

Back
Top Bottom