2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

A guy who, to this point, has arguably UT's most powerful booster on the Strong hire...
"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

He publicly lobbied last week for Texas to hire former NFL coach and ESPN analyst Jon Gruden.

"I think it is a kick in the face," McCombs said. "Beyond the fact of what actually happened. We have boosters that have a lot of knowledge about the game. When we decided to go get Mack -- from the time we decided to go get Mack to about 30 hours later to have a press conference here and it was done -- we had a lot of input before we went after him.

"So I don't know what the big rush was. I was kind of pleased that [Texas athletic director Steve] Patterson already said that he'd like to get it done in the middle of January. That seemed logical to me. I'm a team player, but I think they went about it wrong and made the selection wrong."
laugh.gif

Dude mad Steve Patterson cut him outta the hiring process.

[h1]  [/h1]
[h1]Red McCombs bashes Texas hire[/h1]

Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday.

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

McCombs, the former owner of the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets and Minnesota Vikings and co-founder of Clear Channel Communications, said on "The Blitz with Dat Nguyen and Jason Minnix" that he was stunned to learn Strong was the choice to replace Mack Brown.

He publicly lobbied last week for Texas to hire former NFL coach and ESPN analyst Jon Gruden.

"I think it is a kick in the face," McCombs said. "Beyond the fact of what actually happened. We have boosters that have a lot of knowledge about the game. When we decided to go get Mack -- from the time we decided to go get Mack to about 30 hours later to have a press conference here and it was done -- we had a lot of input before we went after him.

Texas coach Charlie Strong dishes on his departure from Louisville, his first priority with his new team, preparing for the media attention that accompanies the Longhorns' job, what makes Teddy Bridgewater special and more.

"So I don't know what the big rush was. I was kind of pleased that [Texas athletic director Steve] Patterson already said that he'd like to get it done in the middle of January. That seemed logical to me. I'm a team player, but I think they went about it wrong and made the selection wrong."

Texas named its McCombs School of Business after the benefactor, and he has a statue inside Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. McCombs has donated more than $100 million to UT and is a close friend to Brown.

McCombs said he was certain Patterson couldn't go wrong on the hire during an interview with the San Antonio Express-News last week.

"I don't see how they can miss," McCombs told the paper. "They can get anyone they want. They can close their eyes and go 'Eeny-meeny-miny-moe' and end up with someone good."

Starting that **** already?

"I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator."

The hell? :smh:

Starting that **** already?

"I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator."

The hell?
mean.gif
this was my favorite part:
"I don't see how they can miss," McCombs told the paper. "They can get anyone they want. They can close their eyes and go 'Eeny-meeny-miny-moe' and end up with someone good."

It makes me angry that he took that job.  And furious that such a good school in one of the more liberal cities in the south has such a ****** up backwards booster culture.

I wish Charlie hadn't gone there and instead took a job at say... Oklahoma if Stoops goes pro, just to stick it to them.  Though I wouldn't be surprised if Oklahoma boosters have the exact same thought process.

I can't reconcile my desire to want to see all those old jackasses sit through mediocre seasons til they die with my wanting to see Black head coaches succeed.

Charlie gets two years to win the conference or he's out 
mean.gif

Last edited:
I can't speak on Austin per se but just because the city itself is liberal doesn't mean the old guard and big money behind the university shares that same attitude. Unfortunately there's always gonna be someone with a certain type of POV and an agenda.

A good coordinator? Get outta here with that garbage. Charlie Strong is a darn good coach and an excellent recruiter. I'm not surprised by the comments though. These fools were a Mack Brown retirement away a few years back from having Will Muschamp as their coach. Part of me wishes that would've happened to shut people like that up.

Amazing Experience.... agree with you jay, Jimbo's one short-coming through these years has been his game-planning and play-calling..... Bobby told him from day one to always be yourself and at the heart of it he is a pass-first play-caller... always has been. I said a few years back we would never win the trophy with Jimbo calling plays. Little did i know he would build a team that had IRON WILL. Congrats to our players, fans and especially our defense. Holding them to 10 points in the second half was the difference. my only beef is that Timmy didn't get defensive MVP. After 10 heart-attacks , a brain anuerism , and a good-night sleep---- It's Great day to be a Nole 8)

Pics from seminoles.com

Last edited:
Read last night that was a drawn up play by Auburn. Would explain why that side of the field looked so wide open

Read last night that was a drawn up play by Auburn. Would explain why that side of the field looked so wide open

Of course that was a drawn up play. No chance a play could be set up like that by accident lol

I saw Rice's football team on local TV talk about ending practice everyday running a play similar to the one last night.

I know it's meaningless but just noticing now that Nike dropped the ball on the NC hat and shirt :x compared to the other BCS bowl game shirts and hats.

Back
Top Bottom