2012 Summer Olympics Thread: London July 27 - August 12

i think people in here really don't appreciate how difficult the things phelps did and is doing really is/are..

as swimming is becoming more and more specialized per event, this dude was/is basically doing it all

he's the fastest american in the 100 free (a sprint), but he's still going out and swimming the swimming equivalent of the mile (400 IM).. lochte has focused on the middle distance stuff* and really can't touch phelps in the sprints (look at lochte's finishes in the 100 free and 100 fly.. or hell even the 100 back, which is why lochte is only on 1 of the relay teams)

* just look at what lochte is swimming: 200 & 400 IM, 200 back and 200 free (and only the 4 x 200 free relay)

phelps will still win 4 gold medals: 100 and 200 fly, 4 x100 medley and 4 x 200 free relay

200 IM is toss up between him or lochte.. and 4 x100 free is stacked

NBC is actually covering a lot of events live across their family of networks.  The women's volleyball and men's beach volleyball that just finished on NBC was live.  Same with cycling, women's hoops and some of the swimming heats from earlier today.  They're going to be tape delaying things like the swimming finals and gymnastics for prime time.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012-london-olympics-tv-schedule-on-nbc-nbcsn-msnbc-cnbc-and-bravo/
^Good schedule to keep up with what's live and when.

Guys this schedule is GOLD!!! If u have a dvr just tape what u want to see and stay away from Niketalk and ESPN for spoilers.

Just saw the 400m just now. I know they wanted to bump it to primetime but it's inexcusable that we can't watch that live on any channel on their list of networks.
The crazy thing about all this is that, yes, it may be streaming live. But it really ends there. There is no replay leading up to the the prime time tape delay... So if you missed the race by 30 minutes, you would have to wait almost half a day for anything to show up AT ALL...

Bottom line, watch it live. Or be at the mercy of NBC

I have all the apps and program guides and none of them showed the mens 400m IM event after it aired live. It's almost like it didn't exist. Then you realize that the replay isn't there and NBC prime time has it.

Last edited:
This is really quite incredible.  Here in HK, where our time-difference is even worse than it is for the US, we have 6-7 dedicated channels of live coverage. 

NBC are a joke. I heard they cut out the tribute for the 7/7 victims in the opening ceremony?

You guys just need to watch the BBC streams. We have 25 channels of dedicated coverage.

:smokin Misty May got a booty on her good lord.

watched the Beach Volleyball match and found myself staring.

she's pretty damn good too. all kinds of digs.

And just to touch on the opening ceremonies again, Paul McCartney was absolutely horrible. I mean seriously? They thought Paul McCartney closing the opening ceremonies with a love ballad was the right way to get everyone pumped up for the games? When he started saying "okay, now just the men!" it was unwatchable. The dude was a buzz kill.

And for ANOTHER complaint, I wish they would list the name of the swim event on the corner of the screen next to the time.

I'm convinced that if the US had a mens handball team, we'd medal in our first olympic try. 

Cycling is pretty fun to watch. It's awesome to see them go through the streets of London. The women's road race had a good finish today also. I always tune in when there's like 20-30 kilometers left. Don't know if I could watch a full five hours. The endurance the cyclists have is incredible.

Man I hope the majority of the track and field races aren't on tape delay like men's swimming was.

When does T&F kick off anyway?

Don't want to have to watch them live on the NBC Olympics streaming site, that's even if it works for people not in the US.

And why is the men's basketball tournament on NBC Sports Network? I have the channel, but it's not as readily available for some people. Why put one of the marquee events of the entire Olympics on a channel that a lot of people don't have?

^
NBC is a mess. The network hasn't ran well in years and they dropped the ball on the Olympics coverage. They need to fire whoever's in charge over there.

^
NBC is a mess. The network hasn't ran well in years and they dropped the ball on the Olympics coverage. They need to fire whoever's in charge over there.
Believe it or not, NBC is seeing record ratings so far.  The tape delayed opening ceremony that everybody complained about was the most watched ever for US viewers, even beating out Atlanta.  Prime time ratings for last night were up as well.  They're laughing all the way to the bank.
And why is the men's basketball tournament on NBC Sports Network? I have the channel, but it's not as readily available for some people. Why put one of the marquee events of the entire Olympics on a channel that a lot of people don't have?
Comcast/NBC is basically using the Olympics to sell the NBCSN brand.  They want that channel to eventually compete with ESPN.  They're airing more hours of Olympic coverage on NBCSN than any other NBC channel.

^

Believe it or not, NBC is seeing record ratings so far.  The tape delayed opening ceremony that everybody complained about was the most watched ever for US viewers, even beating out Atlanta.  Prime time ratings for last night were up as well.  They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Well, that was their intention for the tape delays. Show stuff in primetime to get big ratings. I'd still rather watch stuff live as it happens and not have to wait hours to finally see it. The website stream is an option but the picture quality is crap compared to hd broadcasts.

Back
Top Bottom