2010 Denver Nuggets Off-Season thread - Masai Ujiri named Executive VP of Basketball Operations

[h1]^
[/h1][h1][/h1]
[h1]Agent: Coby Karl Could Re-Sign with Nuggets[/h1]
    • Chris Tomasson
    • Senior NBA Writer
coby-karl-update-999.jpg
NEW YORK -- It's possible guard Coby Karl could return to the Denver Nuggets despite being waived by the team Friday.

Dan Fegan, the agent for the son of Nuggets coach George Karl, said in an interview with FanHouse on Sunday that Coby Karl will clear waivers on Tuesday. His options then will be further assessed.

"Coby has proven that he can contribute at the NBA level,'' Fegan said of the two-year NBA veteran. "He's gotten better every year. And we're still in discussions with Denver regarding his situation. Just because he's gotten waived doesn't mean that he won't be part of the Nuggets.''

FanHouse reported on Saturday that the Nuggets waived both Coby Karl and center Brian Butch on Friday, the last business day before their minimum contracts would become fully guaranteed for next season. The Nuggets did not publicly announce the moves until Sunday night, more than 48 hour after waivers had been requested to the NBA.

Indications are that one option could be for Coby Karl, who had been in line to have his $854,389 salary fully guaranteed for next season, to re-sign with Denver on a contract that is partially guaranteed for next season. He also could draw interest from another NBA team and playing in Europe next season is another option.

A source close the situation said a Western Conference team expressed interested in trading for Coby Karl last week. However, the Nuggets ended up not wanting to take on extra salary at the time.

Waiving Coby Karl and Butch got the Nuggets down to 12 players, one shy of the NBA roster minimum. Because they're over the luxury-tax line, they'll have to play a dollar-for-dollar tax on any additional players they sign.

"Coby's a good player, man,'' Nuggets guard Chauncey Billups told FanHouse on Sunday, after he helped Team USA beat France 86-55 in an exhibition game at Madison Square Garden. About the possibility of Coby Karl re-signing with Denver, Billups said, "He knows our system, obviously. I wouldn't mind. He's a good player. ... He's absolutely an NBA player.''

Coby Karl, who finished last season with the Nuggets when his father was out due to cancer treatment and who didn't get in a game, had been in line to become the first man ever to play in an NBA game for a team coached by his father. He still might be in line for that.

I wonder who wanted him and who they wanted send

[h1]Dempsey: Signals suggest Melo's departure[/h1]
By Chris Dempsey
The Denver Post

Posted: 08/16/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Carmelo Anthony (Denver Post file photo)

A methodical connecting of dots is slowly leading to a grim conclusion for the Nuggets, who want to re-sign Carmelo Anthony to face-of-the-franchise status beyond the upcoming season.

These are some of the dots: He's selling his Littleton estate; the constant reports of Anthony telling friends that he wants to play for the New York Knicks; his New York wedding; his East Coast upbringing; summer trade talk that has cropped up twice in his time in Denver, which hasn't always made him feel wanted; oh, and not signing a contract that averages around $21.6 million per year for the next three years, a sizable amount of money that he may not be able to earn with a new collective bargaining agreement.

Anthony has connected some dots of his own. Even if he was completely happy with the Nuggets now, in three years he may look around at a team that is a shell of the one that reached the Western Conference finals in 2009. It could be young and inexperienced. It could be filled with mediocre talent. His NBA biological clock would be ticking loudly because he would be in his 10th season. There's no way he wants to start over 10 seasons into his career.

For the record, Anthony calls the New York speculation "rumors."

"I've been hearing that for five years," Anthony said. "I'm a Denver Nugget. I'm here, I'm with the Nuggets. I don't become a free agent until next year, if I decide not to take that extension."

If Anthony wanted to pair with Chris Paul in New York, it likely would be a two-year process.

Paul has two years left on his current contract before he can opt out. Anthony could pick up the $18.5 option on his current contract for 2011-12, play that season here (or not, if there's a lockout), and the two — who have the same agent — could become unrestricted free agents in the summer of 2012. At that time, they could join the Knicks if they desired, and if the Knicks had the cap space.

Anthony watched Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh orchestrate a free-agent summer that at the very least resulted in the Miami Heat being the team best equipped to beat the L.A. Lakers in an NBA Finals. There is a part of him that really likes that and is curious to do something similar. 

"People want to win," Anthony said. "I think that's the ultimate factor."

Since Melo/Nene have a player options for 2011/2012 there will only be 6 players on contract. (including them)

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DEN Payroll = $36,027,575

[/font]
The possibilities
ohwell.gif

But I know they can't/wont pull it off so w/e

[h1]^
[/h1][h1][/h1]
[h1]Agent: Coby Karl Could Re-Sign with Nuggets[/h1]
    • Chris Tomasson
    • Senior NBA Writer
coby-karl-update-999.jpg
NEW YORK -- It's possible guard Coby Karl could return to the Denver Nuggets despite being waived by the team Friday.

Dan Fegan, the agent for the son of Nuggets coach George Karl, said in an interview with FanHouse on Sunday that Coby Karl will clear waivers on Tuesday. His options then will be further assessed.

"Coby has proven that he can contribute at the NBA level,'' Fegan said of the two-year NBA veteran. "He's gotten better every year. And we're still in discussions with Denver regarding his situation. Just because he's gotten waived doesn't mean that he won't be part of the Nuggets.''

FanHouse reported on Saturday that the Nuggets waived both Coby Karl and center Brian Butch on Friday, the last business day before their minimum contracts would become fully guaranteed for next season. The Nuggets did not publicly announce the moves until Sunday night, more than 48 hour after waivers had been requested to the NBA.

Indications are that one option could be for Coby Karl, who had been in line to have his $854,389 salary fully guaranteed for next season, to re-sign with Denver on a contract that is partially guaranteed for next season. He also could draw interest from another NBA team and playing in Europe next season is another option.

A source close the situation said a Western Conference team expressed interested in trading for Coby Karl last week. However, the Nuggets ended up not wanting to take on extra salary at the time.

Waiving Coby Karl and Butch got the Nuggets down to 12 players, one shy of the NBA roster minimum. Because they're over the luxury-tax line, they'll have to play a dollar-for-dollar tax on any additional players they sign.

"Coby's a good player, man,'' Nuggets guard Chauncey Billups told FanHouse on Sunday, after he helped Team USA beat France 86-55 in an exhibition game at Madison Square Garden. About the possibility of Coby Karl re-signing with Denver, Billups said, "He knows our system, obviously. I wouldn't mind. He's a good player. ... He's absolutely an NBA player.''

Coby Karl, who finished last season with the Nuggets when his father was out due to cancer treatment and who didn't get in a game, had been in line to become the first man ever to play in an NBA game for a team coached by his father. He still might be in line for that.

I wonder who wanted him and who they wanted send

[h1]Dempsey: Signals suggest Melo's departure[/h1]
By Chris Dempsey
The Denver Post

Posted: 08/16/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Carmelo Anthony (Denver Post file photo)

A methodical connecting of dots is slowly leading to a grim conclusion for the Nuggets, who want to re-sign Carmelo Anthony to face-of-the-franchise status beyond the upcoming season.

These are some of the dots: He's selling his Littleton estate; the constant reports of Anthony telling friends that he wants to play for the New York Knicks; his New York wedding; his East Coast upbringing; summer trade talk that has cropped up twice in his time in Denver, which hasn't always made him feel wanted; oh, and not signing a contract that averages around $21.6 million per year for the next three years, a sizable amount of money that he may not be able to earn with a new collective bargaining agreement.

Anthony has connected some dots of his own. Even if he was completely happy with the Nuggets now, in three years he may look around at a team that is a shell of the one that reached the Western Conference finals in 2009. It could be young and inexperienced. It could be filled with mediocre talent. His NBA biological clock would be ticking loudly because he would be in his 10th season. There's no way he wants to start over 10 seasons into his career.

For the record, Anthony calls the New York speculation "rumors."

"I've been hearing that for five years," Anthony said. "I'm a Denver Nugget. I'm here, I'm with the Nuggets. I don't become a free agent until next year, if I decide not to take that extension."

If Anthony wanted to pair with Chris Paul in New York, it likely would be a two-year process.

Paul has two years left on his current contract before he can opt out. Anthony could pick up the $18.5 option on his current contract for 2011-12, play that season here (or not, if there's a lockout), and the two — who have the same agent — could become unrestricted free agents in the summer of 2012. At that time, they could join the Knicks if they desired, and if the Knicks had the cap space.

Anthony watched Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh orchestrate a free-agent summer that at the very least resulted in the Miami Heat being the team best equipped to beat the L.A. Lakers in an NBA Finals. There is a part of him that really likes that and is curious to do something similar. 

"People want to win," Anthony said. "I think that's the ultimate factor."

Since Melo/Nene have a player options for 2011/2012 there will only be 6 players on contract. (including them)

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DEN Payroll = $36,027,575

[/font]
The possibilities
ohwell.gif

But I know they can't/wont pull it off so w/e

Then Kroenke stood up to give a toast and the room was filled with an awkward silence, one wedding guest said. Kroenke tried to make light of the situation by suggesting Paul could come to Denver but that elicited no response.

roll.gif
laugh.gif

Then Kroenke stood up to give a toast and the room was filled with an awkward silence, one wedding guest said. Kroenke tried to make light of the situation by suggesting Paul could come to Denver but that elicited no response.

roll.gif
laugh.gif

tired.gif
If dude leaves but I can't blame him.  I'll still be a Nuggets fan though.

tired.gif
If dude leaves but I can't blame him.  I'll still be a Nuggets fan though.

Report: Nuggets are willing to trade Carmelo

Today - 10:20 AM ET

929.jpg

The Nuggets have been "quietly gauging trade interest" in Carmelo Anthony for weeks and are now "considering a strategy" to part ways with their star scorer, a league source tells the Denver Post.

The Nuggets don't want to lose their superstar for nothing like the Cavs and Raptors did with their respective franchise players this summer. Now that Anthony has reportedly made it very clear that he's going to walk after this season, the wheels are in motion. Look for the Nuggets to try to pull off a sign-and-trade, and the Knicks will likely be among the first teams to come calling.

Source: Denver Post

Report: Nuggets are willing to trade Carmelo

Today - 10:20 AM ET

929.jpg

The Nuggets have been "quietly gauging trade interest" in Carmelo Anthony for weeks and are now "considering a strategy" to part ways with their star scorer, a league source tells the Denver Post.

The Nuggets don't want to lose their superstar for nothing like the Cavs and Raptors did with their respective franchise players this summer. Now that Anthony has reportedly made it very clear that he's going to walk after this season, the wheels are in motion. Look for the Nuggets to try to pull off a sign-and-trade, and the Knicks will likely be among the first teams to come calling.

Source: Denver Post

Lol at melos twitter. I wouldn't blame him if he left. Denver's front office has been asking for it for a while now. They make whack signings and don't seem aggressive in shaking things up and making moves. This off season has proven it.
Sucks if I have to buy an new jersey though, I haven't bought a new york jersey since allen houston was playing.

Lol at melos twitter. I wouldn't blame him if he left. Denver's front office has been asking for it for a while now. They make whack signings and don't seem aggressive in shaking things up and making moves. This off season has proven it.
Sucks if I have to buy an new jersey though, I haven't bought a new york jersey since allen houston was playing.

Melo in my opinion would be keeping up with the Jones's if he goes to New York. This whole "Big 3" movement has completely wrecked the landscape of the NBA. I am born and raised in Denver and will always be a fan, but I think the front has really messed up this time. They make very questionable moves, that typically never pan out. Its sad to see Melo go because I like the guy and have met him a couple times, but the show must move on and Denver is going to have to rebuild if/when Melo goes. So Denver fans could be in for a long couple of seasons if J.R. Smith, Al Harrington, and Nene are our Big 3 

Melo in my opinion would be keeping up with the Jones's if he goes to New York. This whole "Big 3" movement has completely wrecked the landscape of the NBA. I am born and raised in Denver and will always be a fan, but I think the front has really messed up this time. They make very questionable moves, that typically never pan out. Its sad to see Melo go because I like the guy and have met him a couple times, but the show must move on and Denver is going to have to rebuild if/when Melo goes. So Denver fans could be in for a long couple of seasons if J.R. Smith, Al Harrington, and Nene are our Big 3 

I'm not sure Nene will stay if Melo leaves but he's a different type of guy so Idk

Unless JR has a consistent year I doubt he'll be resigned.

on a side note. Nuggets New "owner"

I'm not sure Nene will stay if Melo leaves but he's a different type of guy so Idk

Unless JR has a consistent year I doubt he'll be resigned.

on a side note. Nuggets New "owner"

Back
Top Bottom