2009 NBA Hall of Fame Ceremony post.

No mention of Chuck or even that co-owner of the Bobcats that just died was a little weird but great speech nonetheless
pimp.gif

Just watched D-Robs speech.

It was very moving and I wish he had more time to talk didn't even get to thank pop or sean.

You will never get Duncan to wear a proper suit

LOL at Dean constantly having to line into the isle so he could see because he was sitting behind my dude Chuck.

Honestly, I didn't like Mike's speech all that much. He started out so humble, then it just turned in to a bash fest, but it's all good he willalways be my favorite and the GOAT.

Originally Posted by Ferrari0788

Honestly, I didn't like Mike's speech all that much. He started out so humble, then it just turned in to a bash fest, but it's all good he will always be my favorite and the GOAT.
Whaaaat? That's what made it awesome.
laugh.gif

Never saw Jordan speak with such openness before. I really enjoyed his speech and John Stockton's speech. Both were funny. MJ had me remembering my youngerdays when he got up there and started tearing up. All those times he brought a smile to my face (during the 2nd 3-peat; too young for the 1st one) and howyoung I was when I saw him play. Really great ceremony. I'm glad he didn't just go up there and say Thank You like he told his friends. Bravo!

Originally Posted by Ferrari0788

Honestly, I didn't like Mike's speech all that much. He started out so humble, then it just turned in to a bash fest, but it's all good he will always be my favorite and the GOAT.
I didn't like it either. He just came off like an arrogant jerk, which is how people would view him if he played today. I understand the toneof his speech, but it was out of line for the stage he was on.

I used to hate John Stockton back in the day. But since he has been gone and they have been showing his highlights, i really respect and appreciate his game.He never lost a step out there and always battling point guards bigger than him

I arrived at the Basketball Hall of Fame here in Springfield tonight expecting to see some interesting stuff at the pre-induction dinner.

This is, after all, admittance weekend for Michael Jordan. For John Stockton. For David Robinson, Jerry Sloan and C. Vivian Stringer. As everyone who has covered this stuff knows, Hall weekends-in all sports-are riveting Who's Whos of the athletic world. There's Charles Barkley talking to Bob Lanier! There was Ann Myers and Dolph Schayes! There's … you get the idea.

Tonight, however, all the prestige … all the glamor … all the stars … all the food (pan seared Chilean Sea Bass with tropical fruit salsa) were surpassed by one breathtaking moment: The worst Hall of Fame speech of all time.

Without question.

The man of the hour was Peter Vecsey, the longtime New York Post basketball columnist who, I must believe, somebody out there likes. Throughout his 32-year career covering hoops, Vecsey boasts an unparalleled record of alienation. This is just a guess, but I'd say 90-95 percent of players dislike him. I'd say 97-99 percent of coaches and owners dislike him. And, among his peers in the media
peter_vecsey.png
uh, well … yeah. Not a good track record. The problem, to be blunt, is this: Vecsey has never come off as a particularly nice person. His writing is snide and dismissive; his tone that of a know-it-all third grader. He's extremely combative, and (this is a guess, admittedly) would rather try and throw punches than engage in an actual intellectual discourse. That Vecsey writes for the Post is appropriate: He and the newspaper deserve one another.

Anyhow, the night was going very well. Speeches were moderately short, the MC-an excellent Ernie Johnson-kept things rolling, Jordan and his gang made their waves. At approximately 8:20 pm, Doug Collins, also inducted as a media member, offered up an absolutely wonderful speech, crying as he asked his wife and children to stand.

And then, Vecsey took the stage.

He seemed to have no notes. No thoughts. No … nothing. He began not by expressing his appreciation, but by rattling off all the shunned players he believed belonged in the Hall. From there, he just … babbled. About this. About that. He seemed to be drunk, but I don't think he was. The man was just, well, lost. He used language one doesn't use in a Hall speech. He called out people's names ("Calvin Murphy! Tiny Archibald!"), and you could literally see the men squirming in their seats. I was sitting about 10 feet from David Stern, who-throughout the ceaseless banter-dismissively shook his head while checking his Blackberry. Jordan, the star of the weekend, walked out. Just left, and never returned.

The best part came, oh, 30 minutes in, when Vecsey took a breather between points. As if on cue, the entire room started to applaud-a very clear, very audible get-the-f^%$-off-the-stage command. Suddenly, music piped in from above-yet another get-the-f^%$-off-the-stage command. Oddly, Vecsey really paid it no mind. It was as if he had a booger dangling from his nose, and everyone in the room was acutely aware of its existence-save for Peter Vecsey. He kept talking until, I believe, his mic was turned off (either that, or he got the clue).

Man, it was sooooooooooo bad. I almost felt sorry for Peter Vecsey.

Almost.

Link

Whoa...wish there was a video of this
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TheGift23

And then, Vecsey took the stage.

He seemed to have no notes. No thoughts. No … nothing. He began not by expressing his appreciation, but by rattling off all the shunned players he believed belonged in the Hall. From there, he just … babbled. About this. About that. He seemed to be drunk, but I don't think he was. The man was just, well, lost. He used language one doesn't use in a Hall speech. He called out people's names ("Calvin Murphy! Tiny Archibald!"), and you could literally see the men squirming in their seats. I was sitting about 10 feet from David Stern, who-throughout the ceaseless banter-dismissively shook his head while checking his Blackberry. Jordan, the star of the weekend, walked out. Just left, and never returned.

The best part came, oh, 30 minutes in, when Vecsey took a breather between points. As if on cue, the entire room started to applaud-a very clear, very audible get-the-f^%$-off-the-stage command. Suddenly, music piped in from above-yet another get-the-f^%$-off-the-stage command. Oddly, Vecsey really paid it no mind. It was as if he had a booger dangling from his nose, and everyone in the room was acutely aware of its existence-save for Peter Vecsey. He kept talking until, I believe, his mic was turned off (either that, or he got the clue).

Man, it was sooooooooooo bad. I almost felt sorry for Peter Vecsey.

Almost.

Link

Whoa...wish there was a video of this
laugh.gif

peter vecsey making it easier for people to hate peter vecsey.

I just watched some of the speeches on NBA.com and it really hit me...Jordan still lives on in highlights and shoes that get retroed but he's now a hall offamer and I saw his career from the start to the end and 5 years later he's in the HOF. Makes me feel real old. And to have the Admiral up there when I canrecall buying his Rookie Hoops card and me wearing a Robinson ROY tee shirt... and now these guys are retired and Hall of famers. Its just so weird to me. WhenMalone, Ewing, Pippen and Hakeem get in the HOF its like all the superstars I grew up watching are certified as legends.

and I loved Jordan's speech. He was being real and showed what made him great. His need to prove the critics wrong and his need to find fuel to keep hiscompetative fire burning is what he was all about and what made him great.

I liked the part of the speech that went something like this:

"Tex was always a perfectionist. There was one game when we were down by about 5 points in the 4th quarter. I took over and scored about 25 points and wewon the game. Afterwards Tex said to me 'Michael there's no I in team'. I turned to him and said 'But Tex, there is an I in win.'"

Back
Top Bottom