2009 football/soccer summer transfer rumors

Originally Posted by Two3 Jumpman

Off topic, had the privilege and pleasure to meet Messi and get a couple of jerseys autographed
smile.gif

i'm pretty sure you have the ability to walk on water if you wear that jersey

BTW, can you share the story of your encounters with Messi? Looks like you stayed at the same hotel as him.

Actually I didnt stay at the hotel, I found out he was in town on Saturday so it took me a while to track him down but when I finally did I confirmed where hewas staying I just hung around there till he showed up, I met his family too lol everybody was there dad,brothers,sister,girlfriend pretty big entourage. verysurprisingly everybody was very cool maybe because nobody really knows who he is here in the states or in LA for that matter, was able to get 3 jerseysautographed and took picture with him. Now im just hoping to meet the Barcelona team when they come later this month even though Im a Manchester Unitedsupporter
devil.gif

Two3 -

Awesome man, Id love to meet Messi - its great that hes a humble guy, he will be the next Balon d'Or.

127 BST: Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing and striker Tuncay Sanli are being targeted by Aston Villa. Full story: MiddlesbroughEvening Gazette
1112 BST: Real Madrid director general Jorge Valdano says the club will not pay the 40m euros Inter Milan want for Brazil right-back Maicon. (RadioMarca)

1006 BST: Hull have lined up a move for Fulham striker Bobby Zamora after missing out on Marc-Antoine Fortune, who opted for a switch toCeltic. Full story: Yorkshire Post

0930 BST: Arsenal target Felipe Melo has dealt the Gunners a blow by signing for Juventus from Fiorentina. Full story: The Sun

0908 BST: Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler has denied he is set to leave North Queensland Fury for a move to Tranmere. Full story:Daily Telegraph

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Real Madrid director general Jorge Valdano says the £35m figure they have been quoted for Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso means they are close topulling out of any deal to sign him.
Full story: Independent

The Spanish club have spent about £170m this summer but the £69m asking price for Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery is one step too far and could open thedoor for Chelsea to sign the French international.
Full story: Guardian

But Real Madrid have agreed a deal with Ribery and he will become a 'galactico' next summer.

Manchester City are preparing a third bid for Chelsea skipper John Terry. When left-back Wayne Bridge arrived at Eastlands from Stamford Bridge in January,he gave City reason to believe centre-back Terry could be tempted away from the Blues. Full story: Independent

Terry is upset Chelsea have not been in contact with him since City's recent £30m bid for him and wants talks with Blues owner RomanAbramovich.
Full story:The Sun

Arsenal's desire to sign combative midfielder Felipe Melo from Fiorentina could result in them trading Emmanuel Eboue and Philippe Senderos as part ofany deal. (Daily Express)

Everton have tabled a £13m bid for Standard Liege midfielder Steven Defour after having an initial £9m offer rejected by the Belgiumoutfit.

Tottenham will fight it out with Sunderland to sign Republic of Ireland central defender Richard Dunne from Manchester City.
Full story: TheSun

Spurs also want Stoke defender Ryan Shawcross and are prepared to offer £2m plus midfielder Didier Zokora into the deal.
Full story: The Sun

Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler's stint in Australia could be a short one as Tranmere boss John Barnes wants to make a move for his formerAnfield team-mate. (The Sun)

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has told Egyptian striker Amr Zaki to forget any thoughts about a return to the club, blaming the player's lack ofdiscipline.
Full story:The Sun

Latics boss Roberto Martinez will try to sign striker Jason Scotland from former club Swansea.
Full story: Daily Star

West Brom have put a £4m price tag on midfielder Jonathan Greening, who is courting the interest of Fulham.
Full story: Daily Express

Newcastle winger Jonas Gutierrez is set for a move to Roma but, while the Italian club want him on loan, the Magpies want to get back the £5.2m they paidfor the Argentine.
Full story: Daily Mirror

Nancy midfielder Landry N'Guemo is keen to move to Celtic on a season-long loan. (Various)

Hamilton defender Brian Easton says he is ready for the Premier League after Burnley made an enquiry. (Daily Record)

Preston have matched Blackpool's £500,000 bid for Charlie Adam and hope to beat their Championship rivals to the Rangers midfielder'ssignature. (Daily Express)

Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo admits he has been interested in Falkirk defender Darren Barr for six months. (Daily Record)

Falkirk manager Eddie May has told Hearts he is prepared to let Darren Barr leave for nothing next summer rather than sell him for a small fee. (TheHerald)

Rangers will allow Andy Webster to leave the club, but the out-of-favour Scotland defender will have to accept a massive pay cut to join Falkirk or DundeeUnited. (Daily Mail)

OTHER GOSSIP

Bordeaux boss and ex-Manchester United defender Laurent Blanc says midfielder Gabriel Obertan, who the French club are set to sell to the OldTrafford outfit, has a lot to learn.
Full story: Daily Star

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba says his behaviour after the Champions League defeat by Barcelona was "not right" and still bothers him.

The uncertainty surrounding Newcastle's ownership could spark a player revolt at the Tyneside club.
Full story: Daily Telegraph

Chairmen and chief executives of the 12 Scottish Premier League clubs have reluctantly given the green light to a new £65m television deal with Sky Sportsand ESPN. (Daily Mail)

The Sky-ESPN contract offer to the SPL is £84m less than the broadcasting deal with Setanta that was due to start in 2010. (DailyRecord)

The SPL will accept the Sky-ESPN offer but is lobbying for a get-out clause after three years as it considers launching its own channel. (The Herald)

The SPL's only alternative strategy to the Sky-ESPN deal is to put the broadcasting rights out to open tender. (Daily Record)

Celtic defender John Kennedy's career is under threat after being told he is facing a seventh operation on his injured knee. (The Sun)

Celtic manager Tony Mowbray has persuaded coach Neil Lennon to reject an approach to become Stockport boss. (Daily Record)

AND FINALLY

Real Madrid's club shop sold nearly 3,000 merchandised Cristiano Ronaldo shirts in the first two hours of business on Tuesday and they wereall-but sold out by closing time. In comparison, only 600 replica Kaka shirts were sold on the first day after the Brazilian's unveiling.

Arsenal fans have launched their own Michael Owen-style brochure in a send-up trying to sell striker Emmanuel Adebayor to any interested club.

Actually I didnt stay at the hotel, I found out he was in town on Saturday so it took me a while to track him down but when I finally did I confirmed where he was staying I just hung around there till he showed up, I met his family too lol everybody was there dad,brothers,sister,girlfriend pretty big entourage. very surprisingly everybody was very cool maybe because nobody really knows who he is here in the states or in LA for that matter, was able to get 3 jerseys autographed and took picture with him. Now im just hoping to meet the Barcelona team when they come later this month even though Im a Manchester United supporter
devil.gif

Awesome... and I just noticed that in your pics, you met him on 2 separate occasions (different outfits)...
laugh.gif
Nice.
I think the best part is getting to meet superstars in peace... no pack-of-wild fans chasing him around (only you)... that woulda never happened in Europe orother parts of the world.

Nah, who cares if you're a ManU fan (not a Barca fan)... you a fan of football
wink.gif

Originally Posted by AirJordanSeattle23

think gooch will be a starter? nesta is def a starter imo. wonder of the gooch shirt will be easy to find.
i think going into the season, gooch will be 3rd or even 4th in the depth chart behind silva, nesta, and bonera. however, nesta is injury prone, and bonera hasn't exactly played well and stayed healthy either.
Nesta is the only player i think guaranteed to be in the lineup when healthy but like you said he has had injury troubles..so has Kaladze, hebarely played last year...Bonera too didnt play all that much last year either and hes not a natural centre back...if Onyewu continues good form i dont see areason why he wouldnt be in the starting lineup...im not sure about Silva though, i havent seen him play just yet

Originally Posted by zizou

lol at your sig...

happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Actually I didnt stay at the hotel, I found out he was in town on Saturday so it took me a while to track him down but when I finally did I confirmed where he was staying I just hung around there till he showed up, I met his family too lol everybody was there dad,brothers,sister,girlfriend pretty big entourage. very surprisingly everybody was very cool maybe because nobody really knows who he is here in the states or in LA for that matter, was able to get 3 jerseys autographed and took picture with him. Now im just hoping to meet the Barcelona team when they come later this month even though Im a Manchester United supporter
devil.gif
you couldn't have let him autograph on some Argentina jerseys?
laugh.gif

i know it probably won't matter to some people...but i can never own club jerseys other than the team i'm supporting...
real talk though,much props on meeting Messi...
pimp.gif

Real Madrid's club shop sold nearly 3,000 merchandised Cristiano Ronaldo shirts in the first two hours of business on Tuesday and they were all-but sold out by closing time. In comparison, only 600 replica Kaka shirts were sold on the first day after the Brazilian's unveiling.
now read this(taken from soccernet.com):

No one wants an Owen shirt

It's lucky for Michael Owen that Sir Alex Ferguson rates him,because Manchester United supporters certainly do not.Since he signed on Friday,the club shop has yet to receive a single request for an Owen shirt.

This evidences just how widely the dissatisfaction with his purchase is felt;very few supporters feel that he is good enough to play for the team,and just as many are resentful of having an ex-Liverpool player in the squad.

An employee at United's megastore commented that:

"We haven't got his number yet,which might have had an effect,[but] we are not expecting a big demand even when that is known.
As far as I know,no one has asked for [it]".

damn,that's just sad...

is it really sad?

he doesn't even have a number assigned yet. so who would request an owen jersey without a number?

and his signing is a pretty polarizing deal. either you love it or hate it.

owen not getting a single jersey request. wow. & how does ronaldo get 5 times the amount of jerseys sold as kaka? he's not even that much better thanhim.. smh @ dude getting hype from his looks.

Originally Posted by bossjulio

owen not getting a single jersey request. wow. & how does ronaldo get 5 times the amount of jerseys sold as kaka? he's not even that much better than him.. smh @ dude getting hype from his looks.

same logic as how Beckham was/is able to sell jerseys. dude has never been the best in his era but his popularity sure is.

owen not getting a single jersey request. wow. & how does ronaldo get 5 times the amount of jerseys sold as kaka? he's not even that much better than him.. smh @ dude getting hype from his looks.
why do people keep saying dude is getting hype because of his looks. beckham got criticised because he was getting hype for that reason andbesides good free kicks and accurate crosses and passing had no crazy marketable skills. ronaldo on the other hand is fast, is one of the best dribblers on theplanet and is one of the most feared scorers/free kick takers. come on fellas.

He is really good but they just don't want to sell. They're very comfortable financially. Sporting wise, they need Ribery. After the way they crashedout in UCL competition and failing to win Bundesliga, they're gearing up. We learned with Owen Hargreaves that they won't sell if they don't wantto. When they do, he'll go for the price they demand. Ribery backtracked a bit in the past couple days, I think its the right move. His image was beginningto suffer because he is being considered ungrateful and a mercenary.

From my prospective. I'm glad. Real Madrid don't need Ribery yet. Like Valdano said, we can wait and perhaps next year, it'll be different.Assuming he wants to go, he probably won't sign the extension. If that is the case, it'll be easier to negotiate for him next season.

Also, If Juventus pick up Felipe Melo. Awesome move. I like what they have done this window. Arsenal are slacking, this was a no brainer for them. A defensivemid who is used to playing touch footy with his National team.

News/Rumors

Karim Benzema Presentation today.

Sport reports that Brazilian LB, Andre Santos is the alternative should Felipe Luis not come to Barcelona.

Klaas Jan Huntelaar is expected to make a decision whether or not to join Stuttgart. Real Madrid and Stuttgart are believed to have reached a total agreement.

The latest: After Liverpool's exaggurated Xabi price quote (they don't want to sell.) Real Madrid turned to the alternative, Daniele De Rossi. However,Roma have turned down the possibility of negotiating the sale of their "Heir to Totti." Now, the target may be Cesc Fabregas.

Santi Cazorla is being touted as the fail safe should D.Silva and Ribery not be available.

Ribery and Ronaldo on thw wings with Kaka CAM and Benzema striker has a winning tone to it, without Ribery it just doesn't sound as fluid. First thing Realhave to do is release THE DUTCH from the team, they are vastly over rated.

damn mad we cant get huntelaar. or so it seems.

1110 BST: Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing could be out until Christmas with a foot injury he picked up at the end of last season.
Full story:Middlesbrough Evening Gazette

1027 BST: Wigan remain favourites to sign Swansea striker Jason Scotland despite Premier League rivals Hull expressing an interest. (Press Association)

1023 BST: Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola admits the club are no nearer to resolving the future of Samuel Eto'o, who has yet to respond to anoffer of a two-year contract extension. Guadiola confirmed Barca have also made an offer for Valencia striker David Villa. (Reuters)

0930 BST: Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole is close to agreeing a new four-year deal with the Stamford Bridge club.
Full story: LondonEvening Standard

0922 BST: Birmingham boss Alex McLeish is refusing to comment on speculation linking him with a move for Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton. (PressAssociation)

0913 BST: Newcastle defender Sebastien Bassong claims he is being tracked by Arsenal and a number of clubs in the Premier League and abroad. (PressAssociation)

0839 BST: Malaysian businessman Ananda Krishnan denies reports he is interested in purchasing Newcastle. (Press Association)

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is weighing up a move for Inter Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Barcelona will sanction striker Samuel Eto'o's move to Manchester City to raise the £40m needed to try and lure midfielder Cesc Fabregas fromArsenal. (Daily Star)

Arsenal are closing in on the signing of St Etienne midfielder Blaise Matuidi. (Daily Mirror)

But Fiorentina midfielder Felipe Melo, the Gunners' top summer transfer target, is set to sign for Juventus.
Full story: DailyMail

Sebastien Bassong says Arsenal have made an approach to sign him, but the French defender blames Newcastle's uncertain future for blocking hisexit from St James' Park.
Full story: Daily Mail

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce could hijack Sunderland's bid to sign Tottenham striker Darren Bent. (The Sun)

Allardyce is also ready to swoop for Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones, provided Black Cats boss Steve Bruce lands his own big-moneytargets.

Portsmouth are considering their response to Sunderland's bid of about £11m for striker Peter Crouch.
Full story: The Times

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill wants to sign winger Stewart Downing and striker Tuncay from Middlesbrough in an £18m deal.
Full story: DailyMirror

Sunderland will bid £2.5m for Middlesbrough striker Mido.

England Under-21 winger Adam Johnson is expected to join the exodus from Boro after emerging as a surprise target for Chelsea.

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti is ready to let defender Michael Mancienne join newly-promoted Wolves on a 12-month loan deal. (Various)

The Blues have warned Inter Milan they will not get Ricardo Carvalho on the cheap as they look to fund a move for Porto defender Bruno Alves.Chelsea also hope to beat Real Madrid to the signing of Bayern Munich forward Franck Ribery. (Daily Express)

Everton manager David Moyes is hoping to recruit Espanyol full-back Sergio Sanchez but Sevilla and Valencia are also in the hunt. (Daily Mirror)

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson is battling with Hamburg for the signing of Swedish striker Marcus Berg.

Hodgson is also weighing up a £1m move for Leeds midfielder Neil Kilkenny. (Daily Mirror)

Hull have joined Fulham in the race to sign West Brom midfielder Jonathan Greening. (Daily Star)

Tottenham are plotting a £3m bid for 19-year-old Sheffield United defender Kyle Walker. (Various)

Bolton manager Gary Megson is chasing West Brom defender Paul Robinson and Swansea midfielder Ferrie Bodde.

Hamilton are in talks with Burnley which should see defender Brian Easton sign for the newly-promoted Premier League side. (Daily Record)

Bristol City manager Gary Johnson is confident he can lure Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink to Ashton Gate following his release from Celtic. (DailyStar)

Southampton goalkeeper Kelvin Davis has rejected a move to West Ham in favour of regular football at St Mary's. (The Sun)

OTHER GOSSIP

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has signed a contract extension which will keep him at Anfield until 2013, worth around £26m in total.

Gerrard returned for pre-season training and immediately put pen to paper on a deal worth about £110,000 per week. (Daily Express)

Arsenal have rejected a proposal by shareholder Alisher Usmanov for a proposed rights issue to generate new cash, warning that manager Arsene Wengerwill have to secure "talented young players" in an attempt to avoid falling into a footballing "graveyard".
Full story: DailyTelegraph

Liverpool left-back Fabio Aurelio could miss six months of the season after twisting a knee while playing football with his children on holiday.

Roberto Mancini has held talks to become Portsmouth manager, despite negotiations surrounding their £60m Middle-Eastern takeover stalling. (DailyStar)

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is hopeful he can sell the club by the end of this week, with Malaysian billionaire Ananda Krishnan favourite to seal a £100mdeal.

A Far East consortium bidding to buy Newcastle plan to put Alan Shearer and Gianluca Vialli together as the managerial team.
Full story: DailyMirror

Season-ticket sales at Newcastle are threatening to hit a 20-year low after the club's relegation from the Premier League. (Various)

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes wants to add former Blackburn midfielder Tugay to his coaching staff. (Daily Mirror)

The 2010 World Cup suffered a setback after thousands of builders went on indefinite strike. (The Sun)

Two major companies are keen to help save Stirling Albion by putting their name on the club and stadium. (Daily Record)

AND FINALLY

Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo insists Real Madrid have bought him for a snip at £80m. "Of course the club can pay £80m for me,"said Ronaldo. "Or more. I think I'm worth more."

The hysteria of Ronaldo's unveiling at Real has led the club to provide him with round-the-clock protection. They intend to hire three bodyguards toescort the 24-year-old. (Daily Mail)
Coronation Street is being moved permanently from its prime Wednesday night slot to make way for football.(Various)

again, the owen jersey thing comes down to several reasons:
1. he doesn't have a squad number yet. who in their right mind would buy an owen jersey without a confirmed squad number.
2. his signing has polarized united fans. you either love the deal or hate it.
3. the new united kits have polarized fans too. you either love the chevron or hate it.

take all 3 factors and it's not surprising that nobody's requested it.

and smh at "& how does ronaldo get 5 times the amount of jerseys sold as kaka? he's not even that much better than him.. smh @ dude getting hypefrom his looks."

ronaldo sells more jerseys because he's just a more popular player than kaka at the moment. he's also just coming off of 3 leaguetitles in a row, player of the year awards, and two successive champions league finals at manchester united. so he's arguably been on the most successfulclub team in the recent years, and he's been arguably the best player on the that team.

combine his goal scoring along with his flair and tricks, and you get an idea why he's so hyped. then being labled as the world's most expensive playeronly adds to it. his hype has more to do than his "looks."

The hysteria of Ronaldo's unveiling at Real has led the club to provide him with round-the-clock protection. They intend to hire three bodyguards to escort the 24-year-old. (Daily Mail)
it's gonna get even crazier for CR...
let's see if he can survive the media circus...

Stevie G staying at Anfield for life
pimp.gif

[h4][/h4]
[h4]LIVERPOOL NEWS[/h4] [h1]Skipper Gerrard to stay at Liverpool for life[/h1]
By Soccernet Staff

July 9, 2009

Liverpool are poised to announce that captain Steven Gerrard has signed a new four-year contract, which will keep the 29-year-old at Anfield for the rest of his career.

gerrard_cb275.jpg

CliveBrunskill/GettyImages

Gerrard and Liverpool: Love-in set to continue

The Reds' skipper put the finishing touches to a new four-year contract after his return to pre-season training on Wednesday.

The deal is worth a reported £140,000 a week and will commit Gerrard to his hometown club until he is 33.

Liverpool announced they had reached a deal in principal back in April, but an official announcement is expected on Thursday.

The 29-year-old delayed signing the contract in the midst of Liverpool's title challenge before the player then went straight to international duty with England.

But after the final details were completed Gerrard has now sealed his future. He came close to signing for Chelsea in the summer 2005 but now looks certain to remain a one-club man.

Gerrard still had two years left on his existing deal, and has previously said this contract will be his last.

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Stevie G staying at Anfield for life
pimp.gif

[h4][/h4]
LIVERPOOL NEWS
[h1]Skipper Gerrard to stay at Liverpool for life[/h1]

as much as i hate Liverpool,i have to give respect to Steven Gerrard...
he's right up there with Maldini and Giggs - a true one-club professional...

Back
Top Bottom