[::2009 Champion LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD Vol. Boring Non-News Days Causing In-Thread Tension::]

the guy just isn't a very good sports agent.

1 for 1 with Drew Bynum in last year's marketplace. 1 for 2 after today with Ariza coming off a title run in this year's marketplace

there goes his agent mojo.

didn't seem like he had much on his roster anyways

3 current NBA players under his agency
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:GSNuJUBjq8AJ:www.eurobasket.com/agent.asp%3FAgentName%3DLee%2520David+"david+lee+services"&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Andrew, Ariza, and Othello Hunter

the sentiment is that the agent should be fired. i hope it happens.

Originally Posted by LALAKERFAN213

I prefer Ariza

I havent read through much of this thread after todays news, but I sincerely hope there arent a lot of you fans who agree with this opinion. It is COMPLETELYlaughable and absurd.

I only like Artest on this team if he doesn't demand the ball. We need to get Bynum more involved so that he can earn his paycheck and if Artest is puttingup the same amount of shots that he's used to doing, Bynum probably won't even crack double-digit scoring. It's tough not to want Artest on yourteam, but I think Ariza was a much better fit. I still don't understand why he turns down LA for the same amount of money in Houston...

We surely have enough money to sign Lamar. Apparently Lamar's market value is $10 million a year, and with signing Artest at about $6 million, this leavesroom for Lamar.

I don't think we can sign other players due to our cap situation even if we don't sign Lamar. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since we're over thecap, the only signing we can do for players that are not being re-signed is using the MLE, which we already did by signing Artest. Can we also use theveteran's minimum contract (or whatever that is)?

Trev wanted to stay but his agent wanted the lakers to pay him and the lakers weren't gna play into his hands cause they knew artest was knocking on theirdoor
s

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

I only like Artest on this team if he doesn't demand the ball. We need to get Bynum more involved so that he can earn his paycheck and if Artest is putting up the same amount of shots that he's used to doing, Bynum probably won't even crack double-digit scoring. It's tough not to want Artest on your team, but I think Ariza was a much better fit. I still don't understand why he turns down LA for the same amount of money in Houston...

We surely have enough money to sign Lamar. Apparently Lamar's market value is $10 million a year, and with signing Artest at about $6 million, this leaves room for Lamar.

I don't think we can sign other players due to our cap situation even if we don't sign Lamar. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since we're over the cap, the only signing we can do for players that are not being re-signed is using the MLE, which we already did by signing Artest. Can we also use the veteran's minimum contract (or whatever that is)?

I agree with pretty much all you said. I also think Lamar should start he pretty much earned it in the playoffs. I don't think they will let Lamar gobecause without Lamar we won't win at all.. No bench
frown.gif
.... WithArtest or Odom off the bench we are so much deeper. I also think we can scope Lamar for $8 or $9 mil. He seems to want to drop his contract price. Hopefullyafter Odom we can still get Shannon or Powell for $1mil

Originally Posted by Long Beach Vincey

Last step, re-up Chris Brown
I think you're forgetting someone much more important.

Trev wanted to stay but his agent wanted the lakers to pay him and the lakers weren't gna play into his hands cause they knew artest was knocking on their door
And they knew they got played by the same agent with Bynum. They weren't going to let it happen again.

I'll be honest and say that I'm nervous about Artest. He has those ugly qualities that Ariza didn't that make me squirm, but if he can stay chilland play the role we need him to play...

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Originally Posted by Long Beach Vincey

Last step, re-up Chris Brown
I think you're forgetting someone much more important.

Trev wanted to stay but his agent wanted the lakers to pay him and the lakers weren't gna play into his hands cause they knew artest was knocking on their door
And they knew they got played by the same agent with Bynum. They weren't going to let it happen again.

Man you already know your man is staying in town. They're like best friends

Interesting article on Ron/Kobe.
LOS ANGELES (CBS) ― After Kobe Bryant and Ron Artest got into that, "war of words" in March back in Houston, I asked Kobe what he really thought of Artest.

"We're friends," Kobe said, "I like him a lot--like his game--always have."
Then he told me a story that makes today's news--Artest is supposedly on his way to LA for three years, $18 million--very likely to happen.

Kobe said that after the Lakers lost game six of the '08 NBA Finals in Boston by 39 points, he was alone in the shower, just fuming. He heard somebody walk in and assumed it was one of his teammates, or maybe a staff member. Instead, he looked up, and it was Ron Artest (to this day, Kobe has no idea how Artest got into the locker room).

"I want to come help you," Artest said. "If I can, I'm going to find a way to come to LA and give you the help you need to win a title."

Kobe didn't think much of it, especially since Artest still had a year left on his deal with the Rockets, and that the Lakers were returning an entire team that had just won the Western Conference. Plus, players talk like that a lot, and it's just talk. But it struck Kobe as a nice gesture, especially since he had just been hammered by the Celtics and nobody was saying much of anything. Kobe told me that the perception a lot of people have of Artest is wrong.

"He competes....every night, every play," Kobe said. "I've known him since high school and he's always been like that."

Kobe found it strange that some people in the media were portraying he and Artest as enemies.

"He wants to win as much as I do...and I respect him--a lot."
When you consider that Artest and Lamar Odom grew up playing together in New York, this move makes a ton of sense. Artest gets to play with two good friends, for a coach that has always spoken highly of him.

Over the years, I've often asked Phil Jackson specifically about Artest's "colorful" nature. Phil never takes the bait, always shifting the conversation to something about how competitive Artest always is.

He speaks of Artest the same way he speaks of Dennis Rodman. You'll rarely hear Phil comment on how weird Rodman was, just that he adjusted to the team culture once he came to town. I imagine that if the Artest deal goes through, he'll treat Ron much the same way.

By the way, if the rumored deal was to go through, it leaves the Lakers with even more money to keep Odom.

Think about this: they would be getting Artest for less money than Charlie Villanueva just signed for in Detroit. Trust me, there isn't anybody who knows basketball who would rather have Villanueva than Artest.

The only downside to this deal is that the it leaves no room on the roster for Trevor Ariza, who was been fantastic in his time with the Lakers. But truth be told, Ariza and Artest play the same position, and Ariza didn't want to play for that money.

ESPN is already reporting that Ariza has agreed to sign in Houston to replace Artest.

Final note: none of this is done. League rules don't allow any players to sign free agent contracts until next week, and a lot can happen between now and then. But based on what I know about Artest and the way he feels about the Lakers, I'd say it's more likely to happen than not.

pimp.gif

http://cbs2.com/sports/ron.artest.lakers.2.1069858.html

Originally Posted by Grimey

LOS ANGELES (CBS) ― After Kobe Bryant and Ron Artest got into that, "war of words" in March back in Houston, I asked Kobe what he really thought of Artest.

Then he told me a story that makes today's news--Artest is supposedly on his way to LA for three years, $18 million--very likely to happen.

Kobe said that after the Lakers lost game six of the '08 NBA Finals in Boston by 39 points, he was alone in the shower, just fuming. He heard somebody walk in and assumed it was one of his teammates, or maybe a staff member. Instead, he looked up, and it was Ron Artest (to this day, Kobe has no idea how Artest got into the locker room).

"I want to come help you," Artest said. "If I can, I'm going to find a way to come to LA and give you the help you need to win a title."

Kobe didn't think much of it, especially since Artest still had a year left on his deal with the Rockets, and that the Lakers were returning an entire team that had just won the Western Conference. Plus, players talk like that a lot, and it's just talk. But it struck Kobe as a nice gesture, especially since he had just been hammered by the Celtics and nobody was saying much of anything. Kobe told me that the perception a lot of people have of Artest is wrong.

"He competes....every night, every play," Kobe said. "I've known him since high school and he's always been like that."

Kobe found it strange that some people in the media were portraying he and Artest as enemies.

When you consider that Artest and Lamar Odom grew up playing together in New York, this move makes a ton of sense. Artest gets to play with two good friends, for a coach that has always spoken highly of him.

Over the years, I've often asked Phil Jackson specifically about Artest's "colorful" nature. Phil never takes the bait, always shifting the conversation to something about how competitive Artest always is.

He speaks of Artest the same way he speaks of Dennis Rodman. You'll rarely hear Phil comment on how weird Rodman was, just that he adjusted to the team culture once he came to town. I imagine that if the Artest deal goes through, he'll treat Ron much the same way.

By the way, if the rumored deal was to go through, it leaves the Lakers with even more money to keep Odom.

Think about this: they would be getting Artest for less money than Charlie Villanueva just signed for in Detroit. Trust me, there isn't anybody who knows basketball who would rather have Villanueva than Artest.

The only downside to this deal is that the it leaves no room on the roster for Trevor Ariza, who was been fantastic in his time with the Lakers. But truth be told, Ariza and Artest play the same position, and Ariza didn't want to play for that money.

ESPN is already reporting that Ariza has agreed to sign in Houston to replace Artest.

Final note: none of this is done. League rules don't allow any players to sign free agent contracts until next week, and a lot can happen between now and then. But based on what I know about Artest and the way he feels about the Lakers, I'd say it's more likely to happen than not.

pimp.gif

roll.gif
Random as hell

Originally Posted by Grimey

pimp.gif

sick.gif

laugh.gif
I could just imagine what was going through their mind after theconversation was over

"Uhhh... okay this is awkward!"

Originally Posted by dyyhard

the guy just isn't a very good sports agent.

1 for 1 with Drew Bynum in last year's marketplace. 1 for 2 after today with Ariza coming off a title run in this year's marketplace

there goes his agent mojo.

didn't seem like he had much on his roster anyways

3 current NBA players under his agency
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:GSNuJUBjq8AJ:www.eurobasket.com/agent.asp%3FAgentName%3DLee%2520David+"david+lee+services"&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Andrew, Ariza, and Othello Hunter

the sentiment is that the agent should be fired. i hope it happens.

my boy othello got this d-bag as his agent
smh.gif

Originally Posted by LALAKERFAN213

I know that Ron is a better player than Ariza, but it hurts seeing him leave.
ohwell.gif

Gotta get used to Ron.

same hear. LO should play much better with Ron on the team

Now the Lakers have to address a concern that has plagued this team for years. SPEEDY PGs. Find a way to keep Brown.

If anyone cares just got a call from the homies who are at Vegas right now ... they said wassup to DJ "Congo Cash" Mbenga at Caesars Palace.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

If anyone cares just got a call from the homies who are at Vegas right now ... they said wassup to DJ "Congo Cash" Mbenga at Caesars Palace.

laugh.gif
must be a lot of nba players relaxing in vegas. i saw d-fish and udoka from the spurs at the encore pool last weekend. couldn't take any picsof d-fish though. bodyguard would come in and stop us.

Back
Top Bottom