14 day cleanse before becoming a Vegan *UPDATE PG 5: PICS and MyPyramid.gov calorie calculator*

Sorry Meth ...I see, when I was referring to the state.
laugh.gif
But it really is that bad here.

How long you been a vegan?

I've always wanted to do this...
too bad I'm in college & therefore too broke to afford good quality juices/foods. Oh, and I'm on a meal plan

I've always wanted to do this...
too bad I'm in college & therefore too broke to afford good quality juices/foods. Oh, and I'm on a meal plan

Originally Posted by Method Man

dont do it...women will think ur a wimp
Do you work for a meatpacking plant or something? I've seen you make silly comments like this in a number of similar threads.

Look, if your life's worth hinges on what the Jessica Simpsons of the world think of you, that's your problem. Most women, however, would prefer ahealthy partner to an unhealthy one, a caring partner to an unfeeling one. Who wouldn't prefer, all things being equal, a partner with a lower risk ofcancer, heart disease, or stroke?

Veganism says something positive about you. It represents a deep commitment to one's health and/or ideals. It requires a good deal of self-discipline andis often motivated by empathy and compassion. For many, it's also something arrived at through independence, introspection, and critical thought. Youhave to be strong and self-assured enough to go against convention, to be different and reassess thing most people never question.

Ultimately, though, don't you want someone who loves you for YOU? If someone doesn't appreciate what you're about - so what? Move on and findsomeone more compatible. Should it really bother you if, in the worst case scenario, the "average" person will consider you less attractive? Howmany people are looking for someone average as opposed to someone unique? If anything, this can help you filter out people so immature and superficial as todismiss a health and/or ethical commitment as a sign of weakness. If that's who you're after - keep 'em.

More likely, making that change in lifestyle will help you find someone else who shares your ideals and respect for life.
Im sure you have a lot of insecurities.

dont we all?
Some of us more than others.

ayo
86c25fd6d4a5bb03f492626a6ce86156aca0b3d.gif

where do vegetarians get their protein from?
Protein isn't an issue. People buy into the protein deficiency myth because it's easier to dismiss veg*anism offhand than to seriously challenge their longstanding behavioralpatterns and assumptions. A lot of it just extends from a lack of understanding. There are plenty of great, healthy protein sources perfect for awell-planned vegan diet, including seitan, lentils, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, chick peas, nuts, beans, and spinach: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm For athletes, vegan hemp seed and pea protein supplements can helpsupply you with a quick post-workout protein source. It's just different, not difficult.

If you are against animal cruelty then go hunting and kill your own meat.
I've gotta say that doesn't make much sense, but if everyone who wished to eat meat had to kill in order to do so rather than simply turna blind eye to cruelty and pretend cooked meat was something other than bloody flesh I'm sure we'd have a lot more veg*ans in this world.
Telling ya'll Pesco-lacto-ovo Vegetarian is the easiest form of being vegetarian.

I run and lift more than anybody I know and I'm NEVER tired or weak. On the contrary, I'm a beast when it comes to working out.
Any reduction in animal consumption is welcome, but I've always found that concept a bit odd. I'm waiting to meet someone who callsthemselves a bovo-pesco-gallus-vegetarian, which would assume the title of "easiest form of vegetarian" - at least until someone invents a form thatallows for the consumption of lamb, too.

Trust that you can engage in intense training and athletics and experience performance gains while on a well-planned vegan diet.
The main reason that I tried vegan was because of animal cruelty, but that can be avoided easily. I've recently switched to 'real' milk, non-homogenized, organic, grass-fed, lightly pasteurized, local milk, and it's much different than traditional milk. Sure, it's expensive, but it insures I'm getting the highest quality product. Goat milk is a great alternative. I used to disagree with dairy, but now I feel like I was somewhat brainwashed by veganism. Only make your own decisions, don't just listen to what other people think is true.
That's become a popular view on dairy: "mend it; don't end it." Really, it'd intended to address human health issuesassociated with factory farming, genetic modification, and hormone/antibiotics use more so than the associated ethical issues.

Even so, you still have a very fundamental problem with milk: it's for baby cows. Humans, with few exceptions, are not small cows. A baby cow weighs about80 pounds. After six months, calves stop drinking milk and weigh about 500 pounds. Human mothers have long been discouraged from giving cows' milk to theirinfant children, as the proteins in cows' milk can be very difficult to digest - to the point where it can even cause intestinal bleeding. Cows' milkoften causes constipation in children as well. It's estimated that 65% of the world's human population does not drink cows' milk and much of theworld's population is lactose intolerant. Those who do drink cows' milk represent the only creatures that 1) drink milk beyond infancy and 2) drinkmilk from another species. Medical authorities including Dr. Benjamin Spock, Dr. Charles Attwood, and Dr. Neal Barnard have publicly advised against theconsumption of dairy products. Speaking of saturated fat, cows' milk contains over nine times the quantity of saturated fat included in soy milk, while soymilk offers more than 10 times more essential fatty acids. Soy milk also lowers, rather than raises, LDL cholestorol levels and are, of course, cholestorolfree. As for the purported benefits of milk: broccoli and collard greens contain far more calcium. While the dairy industry constantly promotes the claim thatmilk strengthens bones, have you ever noticed that this statement NEVER appears on actual milk containers? That's because the ads are regulated by the FTCwhile the cartons are regulated by the FDA - and the FDA actually requires that product claims be factually supported.

Walter Willett, Chairman of the Nutrition Department at the Harvard School of Public Health, co-authored a study of more than 75,000 American nurses, whichfound that women who consumed the most calcium from dairy products suffered from substantially more fractures than women who consumed less milk. Thiscorrelation is consistent with broader trends, as the countries with the highest rates of osteoporosis (The US, Finland, Sweden, and England) are also thecountries with the highest consumption of dairy products. Fracture rates are dramatically lower in parts of the world where dairy products generally aren'tconsumed, like rural China, where the fracture rate is just 1/5th that of the US. So much for the "milk does a body good" campaign. On the ethicalfront, even though hormones aren't used in the production of organic milk, in order to stimulate milk production dairy cows are forcibly impregnated. Thecalves are taken from their mothers within hours, which causes the mother cows to frantically search for them, bellowing in agony. Male calves are sold forveal. In several documented cases, their mothers have managed to escape and travel miles away overnight to locate their babies. Many ovo-lacto vegetariansdon't know that, by supporting dairy products, they also support meat products. Not only are dairy cows' male calves fated for slaughter, but so arethe dairy cows themselves. Dairy cows, weakened and exhausted from milk production, are killed and ground into hamburger years before they would reach the lifeexpectancy of a free cow.

We're all responsible for our own choices; I'm just explaining mine and it's hardly something I arrived at via "brainwashing."
Well I try to be humble about it but when I tell people I'm vegetarian they assume we're all weak or something.
Honestly, I feel that maintaining a healthy body is a component of activism. For everyone who buys into the myth that veganism is unhealthy, wecan be living proof of the contrary. It's an easy way to silence the doubters when you can outperform them, add lean mass, and maintain remarkably lowbody fat. When you add in the long term benefits and reduced risk of cancer and heart disease, the question "do you miss meat and dairy" answersitself. Ask any athlete not named Derrick Coleman: success tastes sweeter than steak.

Going from eating fast food on the regular to vegan is very extreme and you won't/can't stick to it.
It's difficult - but not impossible. I did it while in grad school and my schedule had me making the occasional stop at popeyes at the time. I did the research and when I felt comfortable from a health standpoint I made the transition from eating animal products at virtually every meal toeliminating them from every meal in less than 3 weeks. My case is atypical and people should go at a pace that promotes safe, healthy, and lasting change -but it's definitely not impossible to go "cold turkey" around Thanksgiving for the right individual.

I'm considering being a vegetarian, I'll start off by just eating more veggies...I definitely need some recipes though..
There are TONS of cookbooks out there - Barnes and Noble has a whole section for them now. You can also find plenty for free online. Here aresome starter meal plans to check out:

[url=http://living-vegan.blogspot.com/2007/02/vegan-sample-meal-plans.html]http://living-vegan.blogs...n-sample-meal-plans.html[/url]

What do vegetarians want to say to the article that came out in Men's Health 2 issues ago about Soy. And how it's supposed to be very bad for the male body. I'm very curious, because they pointed out that soy is supposed to be very damaging to a male's body, even is mediocre doses.
We've already discussed those clains in some recent threads:
http://niketalk.yuku.com/reply/6533922/t/Food-Inc-the-most-important-movie-of-the-year-.html#reply-6533922
http://niketalk.yuku.com/reply/5254144#reply-5254144

It's always the testosterone-addled bodybuilding sources...
I have been a vegetarian since August 4th of this year (for nutrition and trying my best to reduce animal cruelty), and I haven't looked back. Shoutouts to Meth...if anything message him...the guy is really knowledgeable about this process and lifestyle...he helped me during the beggining.
I appreciate the shout and I'm pleased to hear you've been able to make such progress in reducing your consumption of animal products. I'm glad you considered my input helpful - I think it's vitally important for us to pass this on, just as with any other form of social justiceactivism. We have to be the change.
How hard was it go from a meat eating diet to none at all? Was it hard staying a vegetarian, or did you have periods where you went back to eating meat? I'd just like some information from Vegetarians themselves, so I'd appreciate any information.
I made the change in 3 weeks and never looked back. I felt like my energy levels were more consistent, it's very easy to maintain once youform new habits, and it's so rewarding physically and mentally that I have absolutely no desire to go back. I don't even dream about eating chicken;it's not even a suppressed desire. It's not an easy change to make, but if you're devoted you'll persevere and I consider it one of the bestdecisions I've made. I feel it simply allows me to live my ideals and better express, through my lifestyle, the person I've always been. I alwaysfelt eating meat was wrong, but never knew any vegetarians, let alone vegans, to make that choice feel real to me.

I tell people to try it for just one month. If they have the determination and self-control to pull it off, they can sustain it for life - and odds arethey'll want to.

Originally Posted by Method Man

dont do it...women will think ur a wimp
Do you work for a meatpacking plant or something? I've seen you make silly comments like this in a number of similar threads.

Look, if your life's worth hinges on what the Jessica Simpsons of the world think of you, that's your problem. Most women, however, would prefer ahealthy partner to an unhealthy one, a caring partner to an unfeeling one. Who wouldn't prefer, all things being equal, a partner with a lower risk ofcancer, heart disease, or stroke?

Veganism says something positive about you. It represents a deep commitment to one's health and/or ideals. It requires a good deal of self-discipline andis often motivated by empathy and compassion. For many, it's also something arrived at through independence, introspection, and critical thought. Youhave to be strong and self-assured enough to go against convention, to be different and reassess thing most people never question.

Ultimately, though, don't you want someone who loves you for YOU? If someone doesn't appreciate what you're about - so what? Move on and findsomeone more compatible. Should it really bother you if, in the worst case scenario, the "average" person will consider you less attractive? Howmany people are looking for someone average as opposed to someone unique? If anything, this can help you filter out people so immature and superficial as todismiss a health and/or ethical commitment as a sign of weakness. If that's who you're after - keep 'em.

More likely, making that change in lifestyle will help you find someone else who shares your ideals and respect for life.
Im sure you have a lot of insecurities.

dont we all?
Some of us more than others.

ayo
86c25fd6d4a5bb03f492626a6ce86156aca0b3d.gif

where do vegetarians get their protein from?
Protein isn't an issue. People buy into the protein deficiency myth because it's easier to dismiss veg*anism offhand than to seriously challenge their longstanding behavioralpatterns and assumptions. A lot of it just extends from a lack of understanding. There are plenty of great, healthy protein sources perfect for awell-planned vegan diet, including seitan, lentils, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, chick peas, nuts, beans, and spinach: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm For athletes, vegan hemp seed and pea protein supplements can helpsupply you with a quick post-workout protein source. It's just different, not difficult.

If you are against animal cruelty then go hunting and kill your own meat.
I've gotta say that doesn't make much sense, but if everyone who wished to eat meat had to kill in order to do so rather than simply turna blind eye to cruelty and pretend cooked meat was something other than bloody flesh I'm sure we'd have a lot more veg*ans in this world.
Telling ya'll Pesco-lacto-ovo Vegetarian is the easiest form of being vegetarian.

I run and lift more than anybody I know and I'm NEVER tired or weak. On the contrary, I'm a beast when it comes to working out.
Any reduction in animal consumption is welcome, but I've always found that concept a bit odd. I'm waiting to meet someone who callsthemselves a bovo-pesco-gallus-vegetarian, which would assume the title of "easiest form of vegetarian" - at least until someone invents a form thatallows for the consumption of lamb, too.

Trust that you can engage in intense training and athletics and experience performance gains while on a well-planned vegan diet.
The main reason that I tried vegan was because of animal cruelty, but that can be avoided easily. I've recently switched to 'real' milk, non-homogenized, organic, grass-fed, lightly pasteurized, local milk, and it's much different than traditional milk. Sure, it's expensive, but it insures I'm getting the highest quality product. Goat milk is a great alternative. I used to disagree with dairy, but now I feel like I was somewhat brainwashed by veganism. Only make your own decisions, don't just listen to what other people think is true.
That's become a popular view on dairy: "mend it; don't end it." Really, it'd intended to address human health issuesassociated with factory farming, genetic modification, and hormone/antibiotics use more so than the associated ethical issues.

Even so, you still have a very fundamental problem with milk: it's for baby cows. Humans, with few exceptions, are not small cows. A baby cow weighs about80 pounds. After six months, calves stop drinking milk and weigh about 500 pounds. Human mothers have long been discouraged from giving cows' milk to theirinfant children, as the proteins in cows' milk can be very difficult to digest - to the point where it can even cause intestinal bleeding. Cows' milkoften causes constipation in children as well. It's estimated that 65% of the world's human population does not drink cows' milk and much of theworld's population is lactose intolerant. Those who do drink cows' milk represent the only creatures that 1) drink milk beyond infancy and 2) drinkmilk from another species. Medical authorities including Dr. Benjamin Spock, Dr. Charles Attwood, and Dr. Neal Barnard have publicly advised against theconsumption of dairy products. Speaking of saturated fat, cows' milk contains over nine times the quantity of saturated fat included in soy milk, while soymilk offers more than 10 times more essential fatty acids. Soy milk also lowers, rather than raises, LDL cholestorol levels and are, of course, cholestorolfree. As for the purported benefits of milk: broccoli and collard greens contain far more calcium. While the dairy industry constantly promotes the claim thatmilk strengthens bones, have you ever noticed that this statement NEVER appears on actual milk containers? That's because the ads are regulated by the FTCwhile the cartons are regulated by the FDA - and the FDA actually requires that product claims be factually supported.

Walter Willett, Chairman of the Nutrition Department at the Harvard School of Public Health, co-authored a study of more than 75,000 American nurses, whichfound that women who consumed the most calcium from dairy products suffered from substantially more fractures than women who consumed less milk. Thiscorrelation is consistent with broader trends, as the countries with the highest rates of osteoporosis (The US, Finland, Sweden, and England) are also thecountries with the highest consumption of dairy products. Fracture rates are dramatically lower in parts of the world where dairy products generally aren'tconsumed, like rural China, where the fracture rate is just 1/5th that of the US. So much for the "milk does a body good" campaign. On the ethicalfront, even though hormones aren't used in the production of organic milk, in order to stimulate milk production dairy cows are forcibly impregnated. Thecalves are taken from their mothers within hours, which causes the mother cows to frantically search for them, bellowing in agony. Male calves are sold forveal. In several documented cases, their mothers have managed to escape and travel miles away overnight to locate their babies. Many ovo-lacto vegetariansdon't know that, by supporting dairy products, they also support meat products. Not only are dairy cows' male calves fated for slaughter, but so arethe dairy cows themselves. Dairy cows, weakened and exhausted from milk production, are killed and ground into hamburger years before they would reach the lifeexpectancy of a free cow.

We're all responsible for our own choices; I'm just explaining mine and it's hardly something I arrived at via "brainwashing."
Well I try to be humble about it but when I tell people I'm vegetarian they assume we're all weak or something.
Honestly, I feel that maintaining a healthy body is a component of activism. For everyone who buys into the myth that veganism is unhealthy, wecan be living proof of the contrary. It's an easy way to silence the doubters when you can outperform them, add lean mass, and maintain remarkably lowbody fat. When you add in the long term benefits and reduced risk of cancer and heart disease, the question "do you miss meat and dairy" answersitself. Ask any athlete not named Derrick Coleman: success tastes sweeter than steak.

Going from eating fast food on the regular to vegan is very extreme and you won't/can't stick to it.
It's difficult - but not impossible. I did it while in grad school and my schedule had me making the occasional stop at popeyes at the time. I did the research and when I felt comfortable from a health standpoint I made the transition from eating animal products at virtually every meal toeliminating them from every meal in less than 3 weeks. My case is atypical and people should go at a pace that promotes safe, healthy, and lasting change -but it's definitely not impossible to go "cold turkey" around Thanksgiving for the right individual.

I'm considering being a vegetarian, I'll start off by just eating more veggies...I definitely need some recipes though..
There are TONS of cookbooks out there - Barnes and Noble has a whole section for them now. You can also find plenty for free online. Here aresome starter meal plans to check out:

[url=http://living-vegan.blogspot.com/2007/02/vegan-sample-meal-plans.html]http://living-vegan.blogs...n-sample-meal-plans.html[/url]

What do vegetarians want to say to the article that came out in Men's Health 2 issues ago about Soy. And how it's supposed to be very bad for the male body. I'm very curious, because they pointed out that soy is supposed to be very damaging to a male's body, even is mediocre doses.
We've already discussed those clains in some recent threads:
http://niketalk.yuku.com/reply/6533922/t/Food-Inc-the-most-important-movie-of-the-year-.html#reply-6533922
http://niketalk.yuku.com/reply/5254144#reply-5254144

It's always the testosterone-addled bodybuilding sources...
I have been a vegetarian since August 4th of this year (for nutrition and trying my best to reduce animal cruelty), and I haven't looked back. Shoutouts to Meth...if anything message him...the guy is really knowledgeable about this process and lifestyle...he helped me during the beggining.
I appreciate the shout and I'm pleased to hear you've been able to make such progress in reducing your consumption of animal products. I'm glad you considered my input helpful - I think it's vitally important for us to pass this on, just as with any other form of social justiceactivism. We have to be the change.
How hard was it go from a meat eating diet to none at all? Was it hard staying a vegetarian, or did you have periods where you went back to eating meat? I'd just like some information from Vegetarians themselves, so I'd appreciate any information.
I made the change in 3 weeks and never looked back. I felt like my energy levels were more consistent, it's very easy to maintain once youform new habits, and it's so rewarding physically and mentally that I have absolutely no desire to go back. I don't even dream about eating chicken;it's not even a suppressed desire. It's not an easy change to make, but if you're devoted you'll persevere and I consider it one of the bestdecisions I've made. I feel it simply allows me to live my ideals and better express, through my lifestyle, the person I've always been. I alwaysfelt eating meat was wrong, but never knew any vegetarians, let alone vegans, to make that choice feel real to me.

I tell people to try it for just one month. If they have the determination and self-control to pull it off, they can sustain it for life - and odds arethey'll want to.

^^
Good lordy loo.  I'm in tears
roll.gif

How can you have (for the most part) good points, with good research, and do it in such a condescending, pretentious way that it totally negates any point you were trying to get across.
This is the exact attitude that makes me dislike vegans (except for my gf).

^^
Good lordy loo.  I'm in tears
roll.gif

How can you have (for the most part) good points, with good research, and do it in such a condescending, pretentious way that it totally negates any point you were trying to get across.

Good looking out on the quote, DC.  You probably saved me some time. 
Why did MethodMan edit the initial post in this thread?

Profanity.  I replaced it with "."
laugh.gif

I understand the frustration.  I travel pretty frequently and some places are much tougher to find a good meal as a vegan than others.  I had to attend a friend's wedding in Kansas City two years back and probably lost 5 pounds in a weekend.  I always check out websites like www.happycow.net to find vegan restaurants in the cities I'll be visiting.  Perhaps you'll get lucky and find some spots near you.  
I've been a strict vegan for a couple of years now, and, since I extend that to non-food purchases, it effectively ended my Nike/Jordan patronage as well.  

So tell me, since the argument isn't the problem, how exactly would you have made those same points?

Good looking out on the quote, DC.  You probably saved me some time. 
Why did MethodMan edit the initial post in this thread?

Profanity.  I replaced it with "."
laugh.gif

I understand the frustration.  I travel pretty frequently and some places are much tougher to find a good meal as a vegan than others.  I had to attend a friend's wedding in Kansas City two years back and probably lost 5 pounds in a weekend.  I always check out websites like www.happycow.net to find vegan restaurants in the cities I'll be visiting.  Perhaps you'll get lucky and find some spots near you.  
I've been a strict vegan for a couple of years now, and, since I extend that to non-food purchases, it effectively ended my Nike/Jordan patronage as well.  

So tell me, since the argument isn't the problem, how exactly would you have made those same points?

I've been what you called a strict vegetarian for 5 years (except for my depression episode last month)

So when you say non-food purchases meaning you grow you own food? I've always wanted to that

but time and location doesn't permit it. My neighbor who is Indian (Bali or Bangeldesh) has a little garden.

The manure
sick.gif
, it stinks up our whole building when it's wet or hot. But I never saw that man or his kids with a grocery bag
laugh.gif

So you're a lifestyle vegan? I'm sorry but Nike is all I own beside one pair of DC's and some Supra's...they're just too comfortable to give up.
laugh.gif

I've been what you called a strict vegetarian for 5 years (except for my depression episode last month)

So when you say non-food purchases meaning you grow you own food? I've always wanted to that

but time and location doesn't permit it. My neighbor who is Indian (Bali or Bangeldesh) has a little garden.

The manure
sick.gif
, it stinks up our whole building when it's wet or hot. But I never saw that man or his kids with a grocery bag
laugh.gif

So you're a lifestyle vegan? I'm sorry but Nike is all I own beside one pair of DC's and some Supra's...they're just too comfortable to give up.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by STOPIT5

would a protein shake violate a vegan diet ?
It would if it was made from milk, eggs, casein, and other products derived from animals.  There are many soy, hemp, and rice protein powders that do not "violate" a vegan diet, and which provide ample amounts of protein.  I know Mac Danzig (UFC fighter) recommends Sun Warrior rice protein.  I use Spirutein after working out, and it's awesome.

Originally Posted by STOPIT5

would a protein shake violate a vegan diet ?
It would if it was made from milk, eggs, casein, and other products derived from animals.  There are many soy, hemp, and rice protein powders that do not "violate" a vegan diet, and which provide ample amounts of protein.  I know Mac Danzig (UFC fighter) recommends Sun Warrior rice protein.  I use Spirutein after working out, and it's awesome.

Originally Posted by Stockholm Patriot

The manure
sick.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

True Vegans don't use ANY animal by products in their lives.  Or products tested on animals.  So leather products, bath products, cosmetics, certain glues and adhesives, jello, etc etc

The manure
sick.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

True Vegans don't use ANY animal by products in their lives.  Or products tested on animals.  So leather products, bath products, cosmetics, certain glues and adhesives, jello, etc etc

The manure
sick.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

What he means by non-food purchases are other non-food products derived from animals - leather, wool, fur, coats, shoes, belts, gloves, hats, etc.  I too have decided to swear off all products made from animals, and am in the process of selling and/or giving away all of my Jordans, Nikes, and leather and wool coats, etc.

For some of us, the vegan lifestyle is an ethical choice, in additional to a health decision.  It sounds like you are the latter, while we are the former (although we reap many health benefits as a consequence).

The manure
sick.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

What he means by non-food purchases are other non-food products derived from animals - leather, wool, fur, coats, shoes, belts, gloves, hats, etc.  I too have decided to swear off all products made from animals, and am in the process of selling and/or giving away all of my Jordans, Nikes, and leather and wool coats, etc.

For some of us, the vegan lifestyle is an ethical choice, in additional to a health decision.  It sounds like you are the latter, while we are the former (although we reap many health benefits as a consequence).

Back
Top Bottom