09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

That play was
eek.gif
, IMO.
smh.gif
@ the flag.

Except for the Ducks leaving the state of Idaho with dookie stains in their pants, the Pac 10 had a solid weekend. Even Washington is looking good.

I can't say this enough:

smh.gif
@ Oregon

I've never understood the Pryor>Locker argument.

Both QB's are overhyped. I think Locker is better than Pryor. TP's "mistakes" are less likely to happen in that conservative +$* offense that Ohio State runs.

yes, oregon bent over and spread their cheeks and basically had a train run through them.
look for them to bounce back though. they'll pull it together
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

That play was
eek.gif
, IMO.
smh.gif
@ the flag.

Except for the Ducks leaving the state of Idaho with dookie stains in their pants, the Pac 10 had a solid weekend. Even Washington is looking good.

I can't say this enough:

smh.gif
@ Oregon

Both QB's are overhyped. I think Locker is better than Pryor. TP's "mistakes" are less likely to happen in that conservative +$* offense that Ohio State runs.

yes, oregon bent over and spread their cheeks and basically had a train run through them.
smile.gif
That is what I said in the game thread.

Ya'll got mopped by Boise State, so when we go up to Autzen and beat you in a close one, or lose....It will lead to "You guys barely beat/lost toOregon....they looked terrible against Boise State on National TV."

This team is too good to be this bad. The offense took a dump on the smurf turf.

That play was
eek.gif
, IMO.
smh.gif
@ the flag.

I can't say this enough:

smh.gif
@ Oregon

smile.gif
That is what I said in the game thread.

Ya'll got mopped by Boise State, so when we go up to Autzen and beat you in a close one, or lose....It will lead to "You guys barely beat/lost to Oregon....they looked terrible against Boise State on National TV."

This team is too good to be this bad. The offense took a dump on the smurf turf.

Preaching to the choir my friend!
Oregon just needs to get their head out of the clouds. Play their game and they'll do alright. We've got talent/coaching to play really well and makegames vs the opponents on the sched.
I'm serious, LaMichael James is somebody to keep your eye on. The O-Line just needs to gel, get their act together, and play better. They don't evenhave to be stellar, just better than the last game
frown.gif
which isn't saying much, because they took it hard in the hole.

U-Dub hung tough...
It really is amazing what coaching can do to a team.

Oregon should take a lesson from the pups up north.

Overall great first weekend......liked seeing washington look competititive......syracuse almost pulled one out.....oklahoma upset....etc........
pimp.gif

[table][tr][td]11:48 p.m.[/td] [td]Mack has little to say on missing players

Mack Brown was asked about three players held out of Saturday's game for "unresolved academic issues" - Christian Scott, Brandon Collins and Deon Beasley - and provided little information.

"I couldn't talk about it if I did know anything," Brown said. "I found out when you all did, and I know about as much as you all do."

Most of the players also had little to say about the matter, but Jordan Shipley told me he thought Brandon Collins would be back "soon."

"I don't know what Brandon's status is as far as when he'll be back," Shipley said. "I think it will be soon. So I don't think we'll have to worry about the depth.

"But I do think we have several good receivers, and if he's playing we'll be even better, and if he's not playing, we'll get the guys to pick up the slack. I'm encouraged about where the receiving corps is at right now."[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11:14 p.m.[/td] [td]Eight true freshmen play in ULM game

Here are the eight true freshmen who played in Saturday night's game:

DE Alex Okafor - 4 tackles, including 2 TFLs for minus-8 yards.

Okafor showed up a lot. He shed a block and made a huge play in the third quarter, when ULM had the ball at UT's 1 after a pass interference penalty on Chykie Brown gave ULM a fresh set of downs. On second-and-goal from the 1, Okafor shed his block and stuffed RB Frank Goodin for a 6-yard loss.

"I think I did well with memorizing the plays and being where I needed to be on the field, just keeping composed and not losing my composure," Okafor said. "But I've got to work on my tackling and be more aggressive on the line and just get used to the pace of college football.

"I thought I did pretty good against the run today. A lot of people see me as a pass rusher, but I like to do both. For my first time, I thought I did pretty good.

"I can't make the plays I made at Pflugerville. It's a lot faster pace, and people are bigger and stronger, so I gotta get used to that. I just have to get bigger and stronger and work harder."

Okafor had a near miss on a sack, and he said that's the play that stood out to him most from the game.

DB Kenny Vaccaro - Tied for the team lead in tackles with Roddrick Muckelroy with six.

Vaccaro drew high praise from Mack Brown: "I thought Kenny was outstanding on special teams, and then looked comfortable when he got in the game on defense late."

QB Garrett Gilbert - 4 of 5 passing for 46 yards and one carry for a 12-yard touchdown run in which he knocked a tackler backward as he got near the goal line.

"As soon as I got clear, I was just thinking about getting into the end zone," Gilbert said. "That was a great drive because we had a lot of young guys like Mason Walters and Marquise Goodwin in and DeSean Hales, who's a redshirt freshman, got in there with me.

"That was awesome to get started with them because we're going to be playing together the next three or four years."

Gilbert said he relaxed after the first two plays. I asked him about his comfort level with the offense.

"I feel very comfortable with it," Gilbert said. "Obviously there's still plenty I have to learn. Both Colt (McCoy) and Sherrod (Harris) have done a great job of helping me. I'm so thankful for them being there and taking me under their wing and helping me so much.

"I feel like whatever Coach (Davis) calls I can handle it. But there's still a ways to go to where it's mastered and not just know it."

Mack Brown praised Gilbert while adding that he still has a ways to go.

"We feel like Garrett has a chance to be good, and when you see a great player like Sam Bradford have to come out of the game tonight, that's where we are," Brown said. "We've got to get Garrett ready to go in if Colt has to come out. And he's got to play at a high tempo."

OG Mason Walters - Got in with the second-team offense in the fourth quarter and helped clear the way on a 10-play, 73-yard drive that took 4:06 off the clock, capped by Gilbert's 12-yard TD run.

DT Calvin Howell - 1 assist on a tackle - A mixed night for the big fella. He had two personal fouls, one for grabbing a facemask, another for roughing the passer. The good news, he's certainly aggressive.

WR Marquise Goodwin - 3 catches for 39 yards, 1 kick return for 18 yards The speed he showed on his one kick return for 18 yards was obvious, but showed a fluid, natural ability to catch the ball with his hands on three catches for 39 yards. He almost broke a 29-yard WR screen for a touchdown, but a shoestring catch derailed him. He immediately goes on football scholarship after signing with Texas for track.

TE Barrett Matthews - Played on special teams and got a look on offense late.

CB Eryon Barnett - Got a look on defense late.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10:46 p.m.[/td] [td]Colt reaches 10K passing yards, but not happy

Colt McCoy became the first Texas quarterback ever to throw for 10,000 yards - finishing with 10,049 yards Saturday night after completing 21 of 29 passes for 317 yards and two touchdowns.

But McCoy was hardly in the mood to celebrate after UT's 59-20 victory of Louisiana-Monroe.

"We just were not playing as consistent as we should have been," McCoy said. "We have to watch the film, make some adjustments, figure out what we did wrong, clear up some mistakes and move on. You are always going to have things you can improve on after your first game. The second half as an offense, we played really well, and a win is a win."

McCoy missed some check downs, including a wide open Vondrell McGee on a pass he had intercepted with 7:42 left in the second quarter.

"Colt wasn't as pleased with himself in the first half," Mack Brown said. "That turnover really got to him. That was one of his goals - not to have a turnover. He lost the cornerback on the interception, and he was really mad at halftime. But he settled down in the third quarter. Colt's fine."

McCoy's roommate, Jordan Shipley, who had eight catches for 180 yards, including a 78-yard TD reception, said Colt's standards are really high.

"I don't think there's any reason for him to be disappointed. He got into a rhythm in the third quarter, and he played a great game for us," Shipley said. "He put the ball on the money for us."

MY TAKE: Colt ignored a few checkdowns to running backs, which wasn't like him. He'll look at the film and realize those drop downs to the backs are there. His TD throw to Shipley was his SportsCenter highlight.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7:00 p.m.[/td] [td]The suspended players face an uphill climb ...

As Jason and Ketch pointed out in the thread on the suspended players - Christian Scott, Brandon Collins and Deon Beasley - all three players face an uphill climb because their grades are in and they have been ruled academically ineligible.

Now they are trying to appeal those decisions, either because they have tried to improve their grades in certain classes or tried to convince professors to give them second chances.

This can create sticky situations between the faculty and football staff. At least one of the players faces a serious uphill climb. We will keep you posted.

It is amazing that this situation could get to the point it has without some more oversight. And we've heard there are some angry/stunned members of the football staff who can't believe they didn't have more warning these situations had become so dire.

UPDATE - The issue for two of the players is having enough qualified hours toward their degree, and the issue for third player is not having a high enough GPA for the number of semester hours at this stage of his college education.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2:21 p.m.[/td] [td]Three UT players out for ULM
wireless.gif

Orangebloods.com has learned that Christian Scott, Deon Beasley and Brandon Collins will not play today because of "unresolved academic issues."

Texas is still waiting on the academic appeals process.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9:34 a.m.[/td] [td]A thought about running it up ...

Had a great time talking to several OB members at County Line in Austin last night, and one topic that came up a lot was whether Texas would "run it up" or score with its second team late in game this season.

I think there is a myth about runnning it up as it pertains to Oklahoma last year. The reason they got "style points" was that they put it on quality opponents - like Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.

It won't matter if Texas puts it on Louisiana-Monroe. It will matter if Texas puts it on Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Baylor, Oklahoma State and Kansas - the likely bowl teams on UT's schedule.

OU got credit for pistol-whipping the good teams on their schedule, which happened to come late in the year.

It won't matter if Texas lets the second team score against the Lou-Monroes or Central Floridas on UT's schedule. Texas will need a whipping of its bowl-bound opponents for the whole notion of the "second team being allowed to score late in games" to be a factor.

Thoughts?[/td] [/tr][/table]

Good Lord the ACC sucks
laugh.gif

Virgnia loses to William and Mary
Maryland raped by Cal
VT goes down to Bama
Duke loses to RICHMOND
Clemson beats a directional school
NC beats the Citadel
NC state looks terrible against SCAR
Wake Forest loses to Baylor

Maybe Miami can win it
pimp.gif

so if BYU wins out, do they get a shot at the National Championship?
Wont happen. TCU is going to roll them up like they did last year.

Until the MWC middle of the pack teams become stronger, the conferences standing and reputation is still gonna be looked down upon. I dont understand whythats so hard to fathom.

Looks like Basketball season cant get here soon enough for the ACC
Va tech played tough as usual. the rest
smh.gif

Ingram ran this same way last yr *shrugs* dont know why dudes are surprised, now hes gettin feature back carries.

BYU
pimp.gif
guess they still got that shot at BCS bowl.

Sam Bradford
smh.gif
he really came back to school with No O Line, and no WRs and turned down top 5 $.
Lesson, never turn down 1st round $ let alone top 5 $.
sick.gif

LSU
smh.gif
John Chavis is back at it with his soft zones. I thought they brought him in to be aggressive. LSU's RBs are GARBAGE. no talent. no speed. novision. they needed Mr 407 to commit there BADLY.

Illinois.
sick.gif

AJ Green is in for a LONG season
smh.gif
Stafford was the type of QB to throw it to a spot when Green had half a step cus he knew AJ would go get it. Cox needs tosee space before he throws and he holds the ball.

any word on sturdivant? if he's out for the yr
smh.gif

I didnt see Texas A&M play, how Michael looked?

Props to the UT Alum for comin out and supportin the CLK era.
Peyton Manning came thru with a Million dollar check in his hand

capt.649f38a9e6614c0398a06e543b4c5479.w_kentucky_tennessee_football_tnwp118.jpg

pimp.gif

ACC looked pathetic.....except V Tech....can't judge UNC......hopefully miami and fsu put on a show monday

Originally Posted by after h0urs

Patrick Peterson beast last night. Best corner in the country
pimp.gif

Imma say it, and I dont think Im goin too far if it wasnt for him, LSU loses that game.
He was everywhere.
and why Mark Jones kept callin him Patrick Patterson, I was getting so annoyed
laugh.gif

I like Sydquan the best.
Trevaldo Lindlsey-Lohan for Kentucky is top 3

C. Michaels went ballin yesterday seems for the 2nd year a true fresh gonna be legit for A&M....

Ayy who gonna get that UH vs Okie state thread started lmao can't wait "shootout let me get em!" Upset alert

Wait DJ Monroe running the ball for UT too, they need a primary RB fo sho this 50 RB's aint gonna work and it ain't a good look esp. on the recruitingside.

DJ Monroe
pimp.gif
"When you that fast you can do anything for a college football team"

Originally Posted by DLo13

Sturdivant tore up his knee again?
frown.gif
damn. thas 2 years in a row. god damn thats gonna be hard to deal with mentally.

all that preparation he did to come back from the injury last year, just to get injured again in the 1st game of the season.

still hope he can come back strong next year.

Sidenote: UT Offense looked much improved compared to last year, i know it was Western Kentucky, but last year it would have been a much closer game.

Back
Top Bottom