09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

theyre both the same links

[h2]Behind the Big Board: Big 12 QB drops[/h2] [h3]Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford both plummeted after Red River, so now what?[/h3]

Comment Email Print
By Mel Kiper Jr.
ESPN.Com
Archive

Behind the Big Board accompanies the release of every Mel Kiper Jr. Big Board leading up to the 2010 NFL draft, explaining why players moved up and downthe rankings. The Oct. 21, 2009 version showed great fluctuation among topquarterbacks, with significant drops for Oklahoma Sooners signal-caller Sam Bradford and Texas Longhorns senior ColtMcCoy.
[h3]On Sam Bradford[/h3]
Bradford is snakebit; there's no question. But you're talking about a guy who very likely could have been the first pick last year, or at leastwould have been in the mix had he come out. So the issue is the evaluation process. Surgery could very well be his best option to make sure the shoulder isright -- and that means he might not even be able to throw at the level he'd want to at the combine.

It's amazing to say, considering where he was last spring -- but he's almost in the position where he might be better off if he comes back for hissenior season. Someone making the calls for an NFL team has to be able to say "He can be what he was last season." We might not know that until thecombine, or after the combine. Last year he led the country in everything, but he had a pair of great receivers in Malcolm Kelly and Juaquin Iglesias. They are both gone this year, which was why evaluators were so intriguedto see this kid battle adversity. What was he going to do with a diminished offensive line? What was he going to do without the receivers?

1021Bradford.jpg

Getty ImagesHe's become a wild card, in the eyes of Kiper.

If he came back for another year, he might have the opportunity to prove more, because he'd be losing Jermaine Gresham -- who I still have as the premier tight end incollege football -- and Trent Williams, a left tackleI've had on the Big Board before.

I can't give Bradford advice on what to do. If he comes back next year, he's missing out on two full years of earning power. He'll definitelyget drafted. He's still high on my Big Board, but he's also turned into a total wild card.
[h3]On Colt McCoy[/h3]
McCoy has all the intangibles and can make plays with his feet and keep plays alive. But this year his interceptions are up, and it's just been allshort passes, lots of underneath throws. You never see him throw the ball down the field. It's just way too much dink and dunk.
[h3]On defensive stars[/h3]
One more big riser this week is Everson Griffen with USC. He's finally gotten the message from coaches that he has to bring it on every play and theresults now speak for themselves. From a raw physical standpoint, he'll wow people; he is a defensive end who can top 280 pounds and may go to the combineand run in the 4.5s. He's been all business this year which tells me he's coming out, or definitely considering making the leap.

This draft is loaded with defensive linemen: NdamukongSuh and Gerald McCoy up at the top, to Jason Pierre-Paul and now Griffen, then remember you have Brandon Graham from Michigan and Ricky Sapp at Clemson. Greg Hardy is still elite though he's been hurt. You also haveCarlos Dunlap, Terrence Cody, and then go back outside with a guy like Derrick Morgan of Virginia Tech. If you need to stock up on theD-line this year, you'll be in luck in the first round.

For you Mr Gunna Q:What team has surprised you the most in the Southeast this year on the recruiting trail?

A:Simmons: Two jump out to me and one is Georgia Tech and the other is Tennessee.

Lane Kiffin has just been full of surprises since he took over the job and he has one of the top staffs in the South when it comes to recruiting. They are veryaggressive, they do not stop, and they will push the limits. They really have not only recruits talking, but parents and high school coaches as well. Just theway they have hit the ground running, made big first impressions, and the way they are lining up to have a strong class has surprised me a little.

Georgia Tech staying in state for their 2010 class is surprising. They are known for going out of state to Texas, up North, into Florida, and more outside ofthe Georgia borders than just recruiting in-state kids. They have 12 commitments and all 12 are from the state of Georgia. Paul Johnson has made it known thatthey are going to recruit Georgia and go head to head against Georgia for prospects in the future.

Q:What player has moved up the most based on what you have seen to this point?

A:Corey Miller has really surprised me and he has looked more impressive this year than I expected. I have seen him so many times in recent years in games andcamps and he has just taken his game to another level in 2009. He has gotten bigger, stronger, better against the run, and is just flat out more explosive. Iwent into this season looking at Brandon Willis as the more dominant defensive lineman at Byrnes, but based off what I have seen to date Miller is the top guyin 2009.

Shun Coleman, Keenan Allen, and Corey Crawford are three others who either have or will make a positive move in the rankings.

Q:What team do you see poised to move up the most over the next four months with the types of names still left on the board?

A:I have to go with Florida because they have so many big recruits still out there that they have a legit shot at landing. Guys like Ronald Powell, Jeff Luc,Chris Dunkley, LaMarcus Joyner, and Chaz Green are six of the top 76 prospects in the country that they are seriously being considered by. All are five-starsother than Green as well. They are currently number eight in rankings, but you have to believe Florida will be in the top three, maybe number one when all issaid and done.

Q:What out-of-region team is making the biggest impact in the Southeast?

A:Stanford has to be mentioned first here because they are not only outside of the South, but they are all the way

Daunte Carr
across the country. They have come into this region and picked up commitments from offensive linemen Torrian Wilson (Florida), Jay McNamar (Florida), and DavidYankey (Georgia), defensive end Henry Anderson (Georgia), safety Daunte Carr (Georgia) and they just lost the commitment of Tai-ler Jones (Georgia) who is nowheaded for Notre Dame. They have a top state to recruit in like California, but they are looking at talent in the South as well.

The other one is West Virginia. They currently have 19 commitments and seven of them are out of the South region. They went into Tennessee to get talentedquarterback Barry Brunetti. He is still being courted by a number of schools, but he remains solid to the Mountaineers. They also went into South Florida toget safety Travis Bell, wide receiver Fred Pickett, athlete Darius Millines, and corner Robert Clark. They then dipped into Alabama for linebacker John Propstand Georgia for wide receiver Quantavious Leslie. They are stopping there, they are in it for Nickell Robey and some others as well.

Q:Who do you see as the #1 overall prospect from the Southeast for 2011 right now?

A:There are so many candidates up for the top spot in the South right now like Tim Jernigan from Florida, Jadeveon Clowney
2011 Top Prospect Highlights
Stephone Anthony LB #42 Watch Video
Mike Bellamy RB #5 Watch Video
Jadeveon Clowney DE #7 Watch Video
Isaiah Crowell RB #1 Watch Video
Tim Jernigan DT #9 Watch Video
Jermauria Rasco DE #1 Watch Video
Jay Rome TE #11 Watch Video
from South Carolina, Jay Rome from Georgia, Jermauria Rasco from Louisiana, Isaiah Crowell from Georgia, Stephone Antony from North Carolina, Mike Bellamy fromFlorida, and some others.

I named Jernigan as my top overall junior a short while ago and I have to stay with that for now. I have seen more film on Clowney and a few others to thispoint, but it is hard to find a true interior defensive lineman that can move the way Jernigan does. He is strong, he can play the run, and he can rush thepasser. He has a good first step, his hands are pretty active, and his upside is extremely high. The South will be loaded again in 2011 and I have stacks offilm on my desk still to watch on many top juniors, so the top spot could change ma

Cam Newton joins coach Mullen in Starksville...
Miss St. gonna be looking just like UF runnin that O...

do they have any weapons outside?
cus they gonna have another Anthony Dixon Clone (raijon neal)

I feel bad for TP now.......everyone knew he was an athlete not a polished QB.

Then Shaun King this summer calls him "The LeBron James" of football........stuff like that has to go to his head.

tOSU hasn't put him in a system that benefits him yet.

Any OSU fans........what is TP's work ethic like..........does he watch film.......is he coachable.........does he want to get better or is he contentplaying with his athleticism?? :
nerd.gif

Herbie said OSUs O-line is the most most underachieving line in the last 10 years of college football

said Pryor supposedly runs a 4.3.........then said it looks like he runs a 5.3........it was bad

Fowler asked if he was moving from Columbus....
laugh.gif

Man it's obvious TP didn't spend any time doing things to get better last spring and over the summer... Mechanics are still $!#$.. Footwork is $!#$...

Originally Posted by gatorb807

Herbie said OSUs O-line is the most most underachieving line in the last 10 years of college football

said Pryor supposedly runs a 4.3.........then said it looks like he runs a 5.3........it was bad

Fowler asked if he was moving from Columbus....
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Speaking of Shaun King...where is that clown? I'm pretty sure @ sometime this past summer that he said TP could be the greatest college player of all timeor something like that...

roll.gif
roll.gif
dude can't even play QB, move him to WR.

Herby was dead on with the oline and pretty much all his criticisms today. *Applauds

I have a bad feeling about today's game vs Miss St for some reason...3 defensive starters out and the man-child Anthony Dixon on the other side
smh.gif
I justhope our offense finally gets on track and somebody besides Hernandez learns how to catch the ball.

Is it Possible D. Thomas from Ga Tech could go late 1st RD ?

Dude has sick measurables.
Be on some Irvan Fryar %%%# and make 1st round as WR from an option offense

Thomas' measurable are 1st Round status. Easy...

I'd rather take a dude like him than some undersized, plodding WR who "produced" in a spread.

GT's ST is hitting...

Juice
laugh.gif

I'm not sure Demarious Is really any good. Can he run routes? Can he get seperation?

Seems to me like all his catches are just jump balls from Nesbitt. I don't really see any WR skills. But he doesn't play in a system that wouldshowcase them. All I see is him running downfield and catching punts from Nesbitt.

Back
Top Bottom