09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Khan's speed, reach, youth and height should be too much for past his prime Barrera. Khan aint no Sammy Ventura, lol. Khan by UD.
Freddie said he would be more concerned about the fight if Roger Mayweather were training Hatton.
i agree with Freddie. While Floyd and Roger pretty much preach the same techniques, Roger seems more cool and confident as a cornerman with an"i don't give a f***" attitude. Plus he got your back! Not many trainers would attack a fast, in his prime boxer like Judah for low blowing hisown boxer
laugh.gif

^ Yah
laugh.gif

Bute hit Zaniga witha body shot that almost ko'ed him. But he got up and barraged and the ref stopped it.

And i don't really like the idea of Urango moving up to fight Berto. Urango has the chin to handle Berto's shots, i believe, but his shots are so damnwide, i'm not sure if he'd ever be able to hit him. Plus, i'm not sure how big a puncher he'd be at 147. His Power numbers are confusing. Hehas more than a few highlight reel KO's, but 16 KO's in 21 victories isn't a KO percentage that guarantees good power at a higher weight.

'FEARLESS' PENALOSA UNFAZED BY JUANMA

By Dr. Allan Recto
PhilBoxing.com
Sat, 14 Mar 2009

penalosa.11.150x150.jpg

Laredo, Texas (03/13/09) - Yesterday at the Braulio Castillo Theater in Bayamon, Puerto Rico, a press conference was held to announce the upcoming WBO Super bantamweight Championship fight between Filipino challenger Gerry "Fearless" Penalosa (54-6-2) 36 KO's against younger, undefeated KO artist Juan Manuel Lopez (24-0-0) 22 KO's.
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
According to Osman Perez Mendoza of El Nuevo Dia Newspaper of Puerto Rico, Lopez' Promoter Ivan Rivera was quoted saying," Penalosa has great experience and he's been trained by Freddie Roach, the same one that trains Manny Pacquiao; that's why I told 'JuanMa' he needs to be really prepared."

Juan Manuel Lopez stated at the press con, "He fought against Daniel Ponce de Leon and lost. I fought with him (Ponce de Leon) and I knocked him out in the first round. I don't need foreign trainers…we have the best of boxing here in Puerto Rico, the best trainers, including mine (Orlando Piñeiro), who I think is the best in the world."

'JuanMa' Lopez added, "He gets many punches. He said that he's going to fight me inside, but that's nothing new, because he always fights inside. He gets forward and open so it's easy to connect him with the straight punch or the hook, that are my best, hard punches," said Lopez, assuring that he has been training with left hander McJoe Arroyo and Jonathan Gonzalez.

"I'm going to give him (Penalosa) his first knock out of his career," Lopez added.

"This is a great test for Juan Manuel, who has shown great power as a champion, but who now will be facing an experienced fighter such as Gerry Peñalosa and for that he will have to work very hard to assure a victory in front of his people of Puerto Rico who will be standing behind him all the time," said Hall of Fame Promoter Bob Arum, from Top Rank, in a press release.

The challenger Penalosa, also a southpaw, revealed, "His style is going to make me look good. His hook (Lopez) is easy to read," said Penalosa calmly, who admitted the quality of his opponents were better. "He is the best in the division, and I want to fight the best," Penalosa added.

Today, this writer caught up with Gerry Penalosa who was on his way to an Open Public workout in Puerto Rico. Penalosa stated that he is unfazed by thepronouncement of the Juan Manuel Lopez. "This will be a great fight…It won't go the distance. Every round, each one will go for a knock out." Headded that Juan Manuel Lopez was very popular in Puerto Rico and that there were a few Filipinos present who showed their support to him (Penalosa). He said,"The weather here is like in the Philippines…the promoters are treating us very well…My brother Jonathan and my manager Billy Keane accompanied mehere." Penalosa said he passed by the Ruben Rodriguez Coliseum in Bayamon, Puerto Rico yesterday where the fight will held on Saturday, April 25 shownLIVE on HBO's Boxing After Dark." He (Penalosa) said he has not been inside the venue yet.

Just a reminder that if your going to stream Barrera-Khan it comes on at 4:00 PM ET.

I'd absolutely love to see one last great showing from Barrera and see him continue the trend of the old timers taking it to the younger fighters. I knowa lot of people feel he's past it, and it may be true, but I'm going to stay optimistic.

Busy day for the boxing powers that be

Saturday, March 14, 2009 | Print Entry

Even though it's raining here in Northern Virginia, it's still a great day. Earlier this afternoon, I watched with great pride as my alma mater, Binghamton University, handily defeated the University of Maryland Baltimore Country in the America East conference tournament final to advance to the NCAA tournament for the first time.

The Bearcats have come a long way since I was a student (and one of the few who regularly attended games between 1988 and 1993) and later the beat writer covering the team for the Press & Sun-Bulletin, the local newspaper (and that's when the Bearcats were the Colonials and in Division III).

I also have a friend coming over to watch this afternoon's Marco Antonio Barrera-Amir Khan card on pay-per-view. Now, that's what I call a quality Saturday.

But besides all that, it was quite a busy Friday night and Saturday in boxing. Here's what I've heard since Friday's notebook was published:

• Things in boxing can change swiftly. Take for example the makeup of the May 2 Ricky Hatton-Manny Pacquiao HBO PPV undercard, for which Top Rank and Golden Boy are responsible. Steven Luevano will still defend his featherweight belt against Bernabe Concepcion in a Top Rank fight and red-hot junior middleweight James Kirkland (possibly against Michael Walker) will still be on in a Golden Boy fight. The fourth slot was supposed to pit a Top Rank fighter against a Golden Boy fighter. The plan had been to match undefeated junior welterweights Mike Alvarado (Top Rank) against Lucas Matthysse (Golden Boy). But that fight isn't going to happen, at least not on this PPV card. Top Rank wants to keep Alvarado on the televised part of the card, but won't get its way. Instead, Top Rank and Golden Boy will each put on a prospect in a four-rounder. At least that's what Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told me Saturday morning. Top Rank will go with middleweight Matvey Korobov (the 2008 Russian Olympian who I can't enough of). Schaefer said he'll likely put on junior middleweight Erislandy Lara, the exciting Cuban defector and 2005 world amateur champion. Golden Boy and Arena Box Promotions co-promote Lara.

But Schaefer could also use another of Golden Boy's prospects, perhaps lightweight Adrien Broner or heavyweight Deontay Wilder, both of whom fight Saturday night in Cincinnati. I feel bad for Alvarado, who is ready for the bright lights of a big PPV card. I know Top Rank wanted him on but it's out of TR's hands.

• Schaefer also told me about another card that has me really pumped. I reported Friday that Golden Boy and HBO were working on a June 27 "Boxing After Dark" card on which Kirkland and junior welterweight Victor Ortiz, the 2008 ESPN.com prospect of the year, could challenge for world titles -- Kirkland most likely against Sergei Dzindziruk and Ortiz likely against Andreas Kotelnik. Golden Boy has made offers for both fighters to German promoter Universum. As a doubleheader that is a great show. But Schaefer told me that the card likely will expand to a tripleheader and take place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The third fight on the show? A rematch between featherweight titlist Chris John and Rocky Juarez, who fought to a sensational draw Feb. 28 in Juarez's hometown of Houston. I thought John clearly won, but it was such a terrific fight a rematch makes all the sense in the world. "This is Rocky's last chance," Schaefer said. "If Chris John wins we have another hot fighter and the next logical fight would be unification with Luevano." If Schaefer can finalize all three of these fights, you're looking at perhaps the card of the year.

• Schaefer also said that Don King had called him from England, where he is with Barrera (whom Schaefer used to promote). According to Schaefer, King said if Barrera defeats Khan, he wants to talk about a rematch with lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez, who is with Golden Boy. Marquez outpointed Barrera in a competitive fight in 2007.

• Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez, who saw the Jorge Barrios-Carlos Hernandez bout set for the April 4 "Lightweight Lightning" pay-per-view undercard in Austin, Texas, fall apart when Barrios suffered a broken upper jaw during sparring, nailed down his replacement fight Friday night. Gomez told me he was able to secure Golden Boy prospect and 2004 U.S. Olympian Vicente Escobedo to step in to face Hernandez. That means Escobedo's scheduled April 30 bout against Kevin Kelley, which was going on an untelevised Don Chargin-promoted card in Sacramento, is off, although it could be rescheduled for later in the spring or summer, he said. It's a great move for Escobedo, who will get more exposure on the pay-per-view against a former titleholder than he would get facing another ex-titlist with no television.

• When Vitali Klitschko defends his slice of the heavyweight title against Juan Carlos Gomez next Saturday (ESPN's first-ever live heavyweight title bout, by the way), there will be a couple of familiar names on the undercard. I was sent the official bout sheet for the show in Stuttgart, Germany, and appearing on the card are a pair of heavyweights who lost title bouts to fellow heavyweight titleholder Wladimir Klitschko, Vitali's younger brother. They are former titleholder Chris Byrd and Tony Thompson. Byrd, whom Wladimir easily beat in 2000 and 2006, is fighting for the first time since May 2008, when he dropped down to light heavyweight and was smashed by Shaun George over nine lopsided rounds. Byrd is scheduled for an eight-round cruiserweight fight. Thompson, who was knocked out by Wladimir in the 11th round in July, was one of Vitali's sparring partners in his camp for the Gomez fight. Part of the deal to spar with him was a spot on the undercard, Dan Goossen, his promoter, told me

Spoiler Alert....but to update on what happened^...

In Rd 1, nasty cut on Barrera's forehead on a bad clash of heads...shouldve stopped the fight right there but Barrera wanted to keep going and the doctorseemed like he didnt care, and just let him keep going if he wanted to...

Khan methodically hits Barrera w/ alot of 1-2 combos while Barrera swings for the fence.....fight eventually stopped by TKO in rd 5 when the cut was just toomuch...

Khan looked too big and fast, and it was light work winning every rd bc of the cut...unfortunate that the accidental headbutt happened, Barrera didn'treally have much of a chance and I think it couldve still been an interesting fight if not for the cut....it shouldve been stopped in rd 2, no contest

MAB's cut was
sick.gif

Shoulda never taken that tune-up fight in Mexico
smh.gif

Spoiler [+]
2159292771d289169980d54121082eb6-getty-84488043rm036_amir_khan_v_m.jpg

Damnit...

Not that I think Barrera would have outscored Khan if the cut didn't happen but I think he would have been more game and had a puncher's chance.

Just watched the Abraham fight
sick.gif
I literary cringe when this guy throwshis wide, sloppy punches. It looks like the type of !@!@ you see at toughman contests.

I always felt that Margarito and Pavlik would eventually get exposed and Abraham is next on my list. Though sadly the middleweight division is garbage rightnow so I'm not sure when it might happen.

I keep reading on ESPN that him beating Barrera is getting him closer to a title shot...who is he beating at lightweight for a belt? I mean yea there are twovacant belts but I don't really see him beating that many people at lightweight...even some of the jr lightweights who are moving up to 135.

Khan isnt beating any of the current belt holders at 135 and one of those belts will be filled soon Edwin Valero is coming up from 130 to fight Antonio Pitaluafor the WBC strap

Originally Posted by mextra45

Khan isnt beating any of the current belt holders at 135 and one of those belts will be filled soon Edwin Valero is coming up from 130 to fight Antonio Pitalua for the WBC strap

laugh.gif
Don't jinx Edwin.

And I think Joan Guzman is fighting for the other vacant belt and I don't see Khan beating him either.

EDIT:

And just to add to the weekend (finally caught up with all the fights, was a busy weekend):

- Oscar Larios seriously needs to hang it up. Linares nearly kille dhim and I thought that'd be a wake up call for him but after seeing stuff from thisfight this weekend please hang it up kid.
- I had never watched this bantamweight Hasegawa fight before, but seeing some clips of this weekend he looks good (Rafael is considering putting him up in theP4P rankings). Sucks I hadn't heard about him sooner.
- Boxing needs more fighters like Lucian Bute (go scratch if you don't like him), he nearly got KOed by Andrade and is still willing to give him a rematchand he's one of the few fighters who is willing to fight the best (he's said he'd fight Pavlik or Taylor) and he's one of the few left whowants to unify (a fight with Kessler).
- What in the hell happened to Christian Mijares?

I read somewhere that they're talks of Abraham vs. Forrest.

Also, the final James Kirkland 'Ring Life' video is pretty good. The video is down on YouTube however. Paul Williams 'Ring Life' coming soon aswell.

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Angulo vs. Cintron in Talks For May 30 on HBO
Posted by: Rick Reeno on 03-17-2009.

[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
>>>Click Here For Tons of More Breaking Boxing News, Articles and Insider Information<<<

By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com was advised of ongoing talks to match junior middleweight prospect Alfredo Angulo and former welterweight champion Kermit Cintron. HBO is interested in the fight. If the two sides can put a deal together, the fight would take place in the co-feature slot to Andre Berto's return on May 30.

Speaking of Berto, negotiations continue to match him with IBF junior welterweight champion Juan Urango. From what I've heard, there may not be enough money involved to make this fight happen. For one reason or another, HBO would like to see Berto defend against former champion Zab Judah.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

God or his managers must not like Kermit Cintron they keep throwing him in for asswhuppins .
I havent seen the Larios-Hasagawa fight yet but i read Larios took a beating i hope he does hang it up ive been a fan of his for a long time always foughttough guys and did it on the road he defended like 3-4 times in a row in Japan , Fought Izzy Vazquez 3 times the 2nd fight was Classic truth be told IMOlooking at his Career and number of title defenses he is a borderline HOF'er

I like Bute he can fight has agood style and sticks to his game plan there are a lot of guys at 168 to fight so if could be interesting
Mijares fell off hard after Vic did him in , to make it worse he got beat at home by a guy from Venezuela .

I told you they wanted berto to fight a smaller guy trying to move up or they want to recycle Zab's tired **% again

always fought tough guys and did it on the road he defended like 3-4 times in a row in Japan
I'm not sure if he was medically cleared after the Valero fight to fight again in the U.S.

truth be told IMO looking at his Career and number of title defenses he is a borderline HOF'er
You could make a very solid case for Larios being in the HOF.

God or his managers must not like Kermit Cintron they keep throwing him in for asswhuppins .

I promised myself I wouldnt watch another Cintron fight but lord I Love seein him him get KO'd

I dont think I hate another Fighter the way I hate him.

I'm not sure I've really seen Angulo's chin tested. His defense isn't so great and Cintron's right hand can be dangerous. If his chin canhold up then in will probably be a long night (or short) night for Cintron.

Yea but Cintron doesnt set up his right, when was the last time he landed that punch
smh.gif

Ps Berto bout to get dropped outta my fav 5 (
sick.gif
) if he doesnt insist on fighting a worthy fighter. there's only so long u can blame ur competition levelon ur handlers

Back
Top Bottom