09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

and the Fighter of the year top 5....i agree with it.

I put Calzaghe at number 3. and major
pimp.gif
for puting PBF at numer 1. Ithought I was only person that has him there.

Can't put Joe C over Bernard.

Beat an undefeated Vanderpool for the IBF, beat an undefeated Holmes to unify belts, annihilated a prime and undefeated Trinidad, knocked out DLH, barely lost(most think he won) the first fight w/JT, punished Tarver (while jumping 2 weight classes), beat one of the best defensive fighters in Winky, he beat Joe C Idon't care what anyone says and then picked apart Pavlik.

I had it split 6-6 and one point for Bernard gives it to him. I don't see how the judges had it 116-111 and 115-112 for Joe C when he was dominated andmissing from 1-7. Even w/the loss, Cal-slappy still does not have a better resume in this decade than Hopkins.

Manny Pacquiao followed through with his promise to run for a congressional seat representing the Sarangani province in Southern Philippines. He filed his certificate of candidacy on Tuesday. Pacquiao will run against Roy Chiongbian, a top executive of Eastern Shipping Lines (ESL).

Top Rank's Bob Arum had been waiting on the word regarding Pacquiao's decision to run for office. Now that Pacquiao is running, with an opponent, a proposed May 1 date for a showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr. is likely out the window since Pacquiao will be on the campaign trail. Arum told BoxingScene.com on Monday that if Pacquiao runs for office, with an opponent, the Mayweather fight would have to take place on the date of March 13. Whether it's Mayweather or someone else, Arum said Pacquiao would fight in March.

Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach told BoxingScene that Mayweather is not willing to fight Pacquiao in March, at least for the moment, and the secondary plan was to move up in weight to 154-pounds to hunt for an eight world title against unbeaten WBA champion Yuri Foreman, who is also with Top Rank.

The next few weeks are going to be very interesting

Manny Pacquiao followed through with his promise to run for a congressional seat representing the Sarangani province in Southern Philippines. He filed his certificate of candidacy on Tuesday. Pacquiao will run against Roy Chiongbian, a top executive of Eastern Shipping Lines (ESL).

Top Rank's Bob Arum had been waiting on the word regarding Pacquiao's decision to run for office. Now that Pacquiao is running, with an opponent, a proposed May 1 date for a showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr. is likely out the window since Pacquiao will be on the campaign trail. Arum told BoxingScene.com on Monday that if Pacquiao runs for office, with an opponent, the Mayweather fight would have to take place on the date of March 13. Whether it's Mayweather or someone else, Arum said Pacquiao would fight in March.

Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach told BoxingScene that Mayweather is not willing to fight Pacquiao in March, at least for the moment, and the secondary plan was to move up in weight to 154-pounds to hunt for an eight world title against unbeaten WBA champion Yuri Foreman, who is also with Top Rank.

The next few weeks are going to be very interesting

Originally Posted by Proshares

I had it split 6-6 and one point for Bernard gives it to him. I don't see how the judges had it 116-111 and 115-112 for Joe C when he was dominated and missing from 1-7. Even w/the loss, Cal-slappy still does not have a better resume in this decade than Hopkins.

pimp.gif

smh.gif
@ what Roy has been reduced too
frown.gif

Worst part about this are all the dudes at work tomorrow (i live in australia) who's gonna talk like they know something about boxing
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Updated: December 2, 2009, 12:33 AM ET

[h2]Pacquiao-Mayweather bout closer[/h2]

Comment Email Print Share
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

The proposed super fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather is getting closer.

Mayweather agreed to terms for the welterweight title bout on Tuesday, multiple sources with knowledge of the negotiations told ESPN.com.

The proposed date is March 13, although there is a chance it could move to May 1, sources said. Mayweather, according to a source close to him, is OK witheither date.

Pacquiao and Mayweather have fought recent bouts at catch weights. However if they complete their deal, the bout would be contested at 147 pounds, themaximum for a welterweight fight, a source said.

Top Rank's Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs), was flying to the Philippines on Tuesday night to meet with Pacquiao and try to close hisside of the deal.

Arum spent much of Tuesday getting open issues resolved in his negotiations with Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, who represents Mayweather,sources said. Once Arum was able to do that, he left for the Philippines and is expected back on Monday.

If the HBO PPV fight happens on March 13, it would force the tentative HBO PPV fight between light heavyweights Roy Jones Jr. and Bernard Hopkins to move toanother date. Hopkins and Jones both fight Wednesday and must win for their fight to go through.

The site for Pacquiao-Mayweather remains up in the air. There is interest from Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to bring the fight to his new stadium. Thereis also interest from venues in Las Vegas, including the MGM Grand (which has hosted several Pacquiao and Mayweather fights), and the Superdome in New Orleansin hosting a fight many believe will break the all-time record for pay-per-view buys, which is the 2.44 million units sold for Mayweather's 2007 splitdecision victory against Oscar De La Hoya.

The fight moved front and center with heavy public demand for it following Pacquiao's dominant 12th-round knockout of Miguel Cotto to win a welterweighttitle on Nov. 14. The victory gave Pacquiao a title in a record-breaking seventh weight division and 1.25 million pay-per-view units.

Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs), who has won titles in five divisions, came out of a brief retirement in September to dominate Juan Manuel Marquez in a fight thatgenerated 1.05 million buys.

Just a few days after Pacquiao's win over Cotto, Arum and Schaefer began negotiations.

One wrench in the talks was the date. Arum, Schaefer and HBO wanted to slot the fight on May 1. However, Pacquiao announced his candidacy for acongressional seat in the Philippines on Tuesday. With the election scheduled for May 10, it rules out a May 1 fight unless Pacquiao runs unopposed. Pacquiaolost the election for a congressional seat in 2007.

If Pacquiao-Mayweather isn't finalized, Arum has talked about matching Pacquiao with junior middleweight titlist Yuri Foreman, which would give Pacquiaoan opportunity to win a title in an eighth division. Foreman defeated Daniel Santos to win a 154-pound belt on the Pacquiao-Cotto undercard.

Schaefer has talked about bringing Mayweather to England to match him with Matthew Hatton in the event Pacquiao-Mayweather isn't made. Hatton is thebrother of Ricky Hatton, the former junior welterweight and welterweight titlist whom Mayweather knocked out in 2007.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread...

Wonder where Hopkins would go if he wins...Chad would seem to be the only logical choice w/Adamek staying at heavyweight.

B-Hop wants to fight David Haye. I read an article the other day. When I get back home I'll post it, if u can't find it

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

B-Hop wants to fight David Haye. I read an article the other day. When I get back home I'll post it, if u can't find it

Yeah, Dan Rafael had an article up on ESPN about that. I mean I wouldnt mind that fight I suppose but I would rather see Haye start fighting some"legit" heavyweights.

So much for Roy's "The old Roy is back" talk after beating washed up Lacy...

That right to the head really seemed to catch him off guard, dude never regained his senses after that.

sick.gif
Can't believe it...he really should've hung em' up afterthe Calzaghe beating.

So...what are Hopkins options now? If he doesn't get beat...
laugh.gif
There's him moving up for Haye's "belt" or Chad.

Ugh...Hopkins/Dawson is gonna be one hell of a boring fight, should that ever come off.

That didn't even look real to me. Looked like he was playing in the ring and got paid a hefty sum for throwing the fight.

Back
Top Bottom