Floyd Mayweather Jr.
String knows wassup
pimp.gif

ESPNs Updated P4P Rankings

[table][tr][td]1[/td] [td]
box_ap_pacquiao_65.jpg

Manny Pacquiao

Junior welterweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: By knocking out Ricky Hatton in the second round in spectacular fashion in the year's biggest fight so far, Pacquiao stamped himself as boxing's biggest star in the post-Oscar De La Hoya era. When he fights, you must watch. In addition to the sensational one-punch victory, Pacquiao claimed a world title in his sixth division, tying De La Hoya's record. More important, Pacquiao became the first fighter in boxing history to win four lineal championships (flyweight, featherweight, junior lightweight and junior welterweight). That's the résumé of an all-time great. Misses: The Pacman fights everyone, he beats everyone and he makes it exciting. No complaints. Move along.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]2[/td] [td]
box_marquez_65.jpg

Juan Manuel Marquez

Lightweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: Twice he fought Pacquiao, and the results were a draw and a split-decision loss in fights that many thought Marquez won. After Pacquiao's destruction of Hatton, those performances from Marquez become all the more impressive. But with a third fight against Pacquiao not in the cards right now (although maybe down the road), Marquez is taking on a massive challenge by moving up to welterweight to face unretiring Floyd Mayweather Jr., who yielded his No. 1 pound-for-pound spot when he retired last year. Marquez faces a very difficult fight, but give him credit for taking the risk. (Of course, the almost $4 million guaranteed payday made the decision much easier.) Misses: He'll be a significant underdog against Mayweather, and if the fight plays out like many believe it will, Marquez is in for a tough night.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]3[/td] [td]
box_g_hokins3_65.jpg

Bernard Hopkins

Light heavyweight
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: Even at 44, Hopkins still is feisty and interested in fighting. The good news for him is that there are interesting opponents to be fought -- from super middleweight titlist Carl Froch to cruiserweight champ Tomasz Adamek to light heavyweight titleholder Chad Dawson. Misses: Although Hopkins still talks as if he wants to fight, he has through-the-roof purse desires, which make any of those bouts unlikely unless he makes a serious adjustment to the market we're living in.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]4[/td] [td]
box_a_mosley_65.jpg

Shane Mosley

Welterweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: It might be only an outside shot, but at least Pacquiao and his team talk about Mosley as a possible opponent for the pound-for-pound king in the fall. That would be a really interesting and exciting fight, not to mention one that could generate big pay-per-view numbers. Misses: If Mosley can't land Pacquiao, there's always Mayweather (assuming he beats Marquez). The problem is that Mayweather never has seemed really interested in a Mosley bout, perhaps because he knows it's probably the toughest match out there for him among the potential big fights.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]5[/td] [td]
box_f_williams_65.jpg

Paul Williams

Interim junior middleweight titlist
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: How good is Williams? He pitched a near shutout in April against well-respected former undisputed junior middleweight champion Winky Wright, who in his four previous losses was highly competitive. Even though Wright was coming off a long layoff, he still fought well. It's just that Williams was that much better than him. Williams is a nightmare for anyone from 147 to 160 pounds, and maybe even at 168. Misses: Without a big fan following or an outsized personality, it's always going to be tough for him to line up the major fights.[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]6[/td] [td]
box_calderon_65.jpg

Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon

Junior flyweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: After sitting out since August because of a serious cut he suffered in a technical-decision victory against Hugo Cazares in their rematch, Calderon finally is coming back. He'll face tough Filipino puncher Rodel Mayol on June 13 at Madison Square Garden, his first opportunity to fight at the hallowed arena, which figures to be filled with his Puerto Rican fans on the eve of New York's annual Puerto Rican Day parade. Misses: Although Calderon is 16-0 in world-title fights, it just doesn't look like there's a truly big fight out there for boxing's best technician.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]7[/td] [td]
box_cotto_weighin_65.jpg

Miguel Cotto

Welterweight titlist
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: Unlike some fighters (specifically, Mayweather), Cotto has never dodged a challenge. Instead, he has sought out all the toughest fights -- especially at welterweight -- such as battles with Mosley, Antonio Margarito, Zab Judah and Carlos Quintana. And nothing has changed, which is why Cotto is poised to take on another rough opponent June 13: Joshua Clottey, a dangerous foe nobody else wants to fight. Misses: You have to at least wonder how Cotto is going to perform in his first tough assignment since Margarito knocked him out last summer and in his first fight without longtime trainer Evangelista Cotto, the uncle with whom he had a terrible falling out.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]8[/td] [td]
box_g_ndonaire1_65.jpg

Nonito Donaire

Flyweight titlist
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: Pacquiao is the best fighter from the Philippines, but Donaire is the next-best -- and a force to be reckoned with in the smaller weight divisions. He is an excellent boxer with good power and is coming off April's dominant fourth-round knockout of Raul Martinez, a strong contender who was undefeated before faltering under Donaire's pressure. Donaire's string of five consecutive knockouts includes a memorable one-punch shot against Vic Darchinyan. Misses: The only thing that can hold Donaire back is trouble making the flyweight limit of 112 pounds, which is why he probably will move up to the 115-pound junior bantamweight division at some point.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]9[/td] [td]
box_g_pavlik_65.jpg

Kelly Pavlik

Middleweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: In an about-face, Pavlik, promoter Top Rank and co-managers Cameron Dunkin and Mike Pavlik recently had begun to talk seriously about a huge fall fight with German middleweight titlist Arthur Abraham, the one meaningful fight the world wants to see at 160 pounds. The idea was for Pavlik to beat Sergio Mora on June 27 and for Abraham to take care of his mandatory challenger, Giovanni Lorenzo, on the same date before they hooked up in November. Misses: Pavlik pulled out of the fight with Mora because, according to Top Rank, he has a staph infection on his hand. Top Rank says it will try to reschedule the Mora fight, which obviously is going to push back the Abraham fight, an unfortunate development.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]10[/td] [td]
box_g_vasquez_65.jpg

Israel Vazquez

Junior featherweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: Although Vazquez has been out of commission because of eye injuries suffered during his blazing trilogy with Rafael Marquez, there is talk he could finally be ready to return to action this summer. It will be great to see him back in action after a long layoff. Misses: As much as we all love Vazquez and admire his heart and ability, he hasn't fought for 14 months, meaning he is precariously close to being dropped from these rankings.[/td] [/tr][/table]

The next 10:
11. Chad Dawson
12. Vic Darchinyan
13. Rafael Marquez
14. Arthur Abraham
15. Nate Campbell
16. Chris John
17. Fernando Montiel
18. Celestino Caballero
19. Tomasz Adamek
20. Hozumi Hasegawa

Pun at 5
pimp.gif

hey finally decided to drop marquez out and Izzy down to 10.

eek.gif
Nate at 12, My son gettin some recognition
pimp.gif

the 5 and 2 are right next to eachother on the number pad. I hit the 2 by mistake. sorry I dont have a speak & Spell my 1st computer like BigMike

and just how the $$$# is the dude with the worst spelling/grammar on NikeTalk even work up the nerve to say someone else cant read.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

the 5 and 2 are right next to eachother on the number pad. I hit the 2 by mistake. sorry I dont have a speak & Spell my 1st computer like BigMike

and just how the $$$# is the dude with the worst spelling/grammar on NikeTalk even work up the nerve to say someone else cant read.

roll.gif

Dre, I was trying to find a pic of when Peter Griffin was using one of them during the SAT's
laugh.gif

Pacquiao-Hatton PPV numbers something to celebrate, even if Arum refuses

Thursday, May 14, 2009 | Print Entry

For the past two weeks I've been asked constantly about the pay-per-view numbers for the May 2 Manny Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton fight, boxing's biggest fight of the year so far.

The eagerly anticipated showdown was promoted wonderfully. There was great buzz all week in Las Vegas and an electric atmosphere inside the MGM Grand Garden Arena on fight night, not to mention a spectacular second-round knockout victory for Pacquiao.

However, the period at the end of the sentence -- the pay-per-view buys -- has been missing because Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, who co-promoted the event with Golden Boy Promotions, refuses to disclose the figures for reasons that are beyond me.

He sure gave me an earful about it this week while dropping several words that wouldn't be appropriate for an ESPN.com blog. In the one statement he made that I can quote, he said (loudly), "We did very well. Everyone involved in this event did a good job, but it's nobody's business what the numbers are but ours and the fighters. I'm not gonna release the figures."

For whatever reason, Arum doesn't want to give them out, nor will he allow his partners at Golden Boy or HBO PPV to disclose them. What does he have to hide, anyway?

However, being a resourceful kind of guy with pretty darn good sources in the boxing business and television industry, I got the number, Arum's secrecy be damned. From what my sources tell me, the fight sits at about 825,000 domestic pay-per-view buys with the likelihood that when they're all counted, the total will reach 850,000 or more.

That means the fight generated almost $50 million from the American pay-per-view, a huge number that doesn't even take into account the pay-per-view figures from Hatton's turf in the United Kingdom, where the fight easily could have done 1 million buys. Nor does it take into account the live gate of $8,832,950 or the closed-circuit ticket sales of $575,750 in Las Vegas alone. There's also a pile of cash from the rest of the closed-circuit and international television sales, a seven-figure license fee from HBO for the delayed broadcast rights, sponsorship money and merchandise revenue.

How big was Pacquiao-Hatton? If you take away heavyweight pay-per-views involving Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield as well as the Oscar De La Hoya fights, it's the second-best ever. Only Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s victory against Hatton in December 2007 did more business, generating 915,000 domestic buys.

The bottom line is that Pacquiao-Hatton was a massive success, something Arum should be proud of instead of trying to hide, especially because this was the first big fight of the post-De La Hoya era. I stopped trying to figure Arum out a long time ago, but his decision on this topic makes no sense.

At a time when many have questioned what would become of the boxing business in the wake of the retirement of De La Hoya, the all-time pay-per-view king, Pacquiao-Hatton answered the question with an emphatic, "Yes, there is still life in this business."

When a 140-pound fight in which neither participant is American can do a number like 850,000, especially in the midst of a brutal recession, it's celebration time. And it's not the end, either. A whole series of fights involving Pacquiao and Mayweather can get the public excited and generate big numbers. With Mayweather out of retirement and set to face Juan Manuel Marquez on July 18, you can bank on another fight that will generate in the 500,000-buy range. And, eventually, when Pacquiao and Mayweather finally meet in the fight the public is already demanding, I believe it may rise into the 1.5 million-buy stratosphere.

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer and HBO PPV chief Mark Taffet acquiesced to Arum's insistence that official numbers not be released on Pacquiao-Hatton, but neither of them is happy about it. I don't blame them. They want to talk up their success, not be muzzled.

So without disclosing the figures, Taffet did say, "Pacquiao-Hatton was a true megafight and establishes Manny Pacquiao as a true pay-per-view star. Most importantly, with Pacquiao-Hatton, Mayweather-Marquez and the great possibilities of matchups in the 140- and 147-pound divisions, we are entering a very exciting period for boxing fans and the sport."

Taffet is right, even if that wacky Arum doesn't want to acknowledge it with facts and figures.

This should help quiet those who say Pacman is a way bigger draw than Floyd and deserves the lions share if they fought. FTR, Mayweather-Hatton did 915,000buys.

Tyson Holyfield did 1.99 Million Buys. Pac-Mayweather can be huge, but i doubt it'll get that huge. DLH-Mayweather is the only fight ever to be bigger at2.16 million buys. If Rafael's guess of 1.5 million is accurate, and i think it very well can be, then Pac/PBF would be the 2nd biggest non-heavyweightfight in History behind DLH-PBF and the biggest fight ever not involving DLH or Tyson.

As impressive as Paul as been I can't put him over Shane. Shane beat someone with a rock solid chin and (cheater or not) was the #1 welterweight and a top5 P4P fighter. At his age and how bad he made Margarito look (who's never been dominated like that) I can't put Paul over him.

Paul beat that same guy....

Bhop and Shane IMO are too high, before the Pavlik win, Bhop was an eye sore to watch Holding and clutching.

he's 3-3 in his last 6 fights ....

^^^yessir section 105

**JuanMa is fighting undefeated Canadian Olivier Lontchi on June 27 to replace the Pavlik/Mora bout.**

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Paul beat that same guy....

Bhop and Shane IMO are too high, before the Pavlik win, Bhop was an eye sore to watch Holding and clutching.

he's 3-3 in his last 6 fights ....
Yea but Paul didn't dominate the way Mosley did. Mosley was about to kill Margarito and picked him apart in the ring right after the biggestwin of Antonio's career. I have no qualms about the ordering whichever way it would go. B-Hop is 3-3 in his last 6 but two of those are controversiallosses that could've gone either way. Not to take anything away from what Paul has been doing but I just don't put him ahead of Hopkins or Shane as ofright now.

Back
Top Bottom