🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Drake & PND Album Fall 2024

I always thought it was weird that none of PND's projects have been free. I think that actually hurt him for the first one and second one because streaming wasn't what it is. You kind of have to believe in it/yourself enough to give it away and know you can do it again.

The Weeknd gave us three in a year for free. Then sold the trilogy. And it sold well. Party kind of cut himself off to a lot of people simply by charging. Same with dvsn.

But...none of those projects are HoB. So I can't really say this with a straight face. HoB is really special.

weeknd did NO media until this last more mainstream album

People romanticize Weeknd's career thus far as if he was doing numbers on his first album. Dude didn't start really making noise (sales wise) until he went mainstream by collaborating with Ariana Grande, doing the 50 Shades of Grey song, and releasing BBTM.

The Trilogy sold well *after* it was free. Kissland sold well too. He went to superstar status, but he was definitely a star without doing any interviews.

I'd go so far to say that even at his lowest popularity, he was still more known than Party is right now. HoB was a critical smash and was written about at nauseum.

Last edited:
weeknd did NO media until this last more mainstream album

That isn't quite true

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/07/weeknd-interview-cover-story/page/1

But I agree that he might as well open up a bit and make his face more known if he wants to reach more ears. Sitting back and letting OVO bring them in for him won't do him any good.

I always thought it was weird that none of PND's projects have been free. I think that actually hurt him for the first one and second one because streaming wasn't what it is. You kind of have to believe in it/yourself enough to give it away and know you can do it again.

I hate that OVO does this.

I'm sure that the immediate money, even if it's a small amount, is nice but I agree that it doesn't seem like the smartest tactic to use when you're still trying to build a fan base.

Last edited:
The Trilogy sold well *after* it was free. Kissland sold well too. He went to superstar status, but he was definitely a star without doing any interviews.

I'd go so far to say that even at his lowest popularity, he was still more known than Party is right now. HoB was a critical smash and was written about at nauseum.

This. They'll never be another star at OVO cause Aubrey is a leech off of everyone else in a sense.

People romanticize Weeknd's career thus far as if he was doing numbers on his first album. Dude didn't start really making noise (sales wise) until he went mainstream by collaborating with Ariana Grande, doing the 50 Shades of Grey song, and releasing BBTM.

Thank you. ****** in here acting like they wasn't crying when kissland dropped saying he'll never get his props and basically saying all the same **** ppl saying about party now :lol:

Weeknd traded he made that trash to get famous

P3>>> anything not named HOBfrom the weekend. And honestly the production blows it out of the water...ill wait till a few months to say if it's better or not

Media runs ain't helping sell records anymore. That's an outdated business model.

Also, timing is everything. The Weeknd was at the forefront of the "alternative r&b" movement along with Frank Ocean. That's a huge reason why he popped. Literally nothing else sounded like that back in 2011.

Last edited:
PND just ain't that good. He could keep all that **** he be giving to Drake and wouldn't sound as good (don't sound that good from Drake anyway).He's not Weeknd, even after Weeknd put out a bad album.

Last edited:
Who ******* cares? Lil Yachty is a "star" right now.

People are going to remember the music when it's all said and done. "Stars" can dim in 15 minutes. 

I don't like using the phrase "industry plant" but the way he's popped up and been on so many different artists' songs scream plant :lol:

PND just ain't that good. He could keep all that **** he be giving to Drake and wouldn't sound as good (don't sound that good from Drake anyway).He's not Weeknd, even after Weeknd put out a bad album.
This. I like PND but sometimes I wish all of his vocals weren't so muddy and distorted. He's also not touching weeknd with the lyrics or hooks.
They both stay in rotation though

Last edited:
I don't know if Lil Yachty is a star but I have a hard time believing he's buzzin cuz of his music. He's a weird/moist/goofy dude. People in this generation like that ****.

Last edited:
PND has got to find a way to get "out there" more, period. His career is just far too reserved if he's looking to be a "star," or sell records.

More feature placements, more writing placements, more videos, more product, more of a healthy direct artist to consumer relationship, etc. Which I think is coming.

Doing interviews and what not wouldn't hurt either.

As far as P3, it's cool. It has some individual records that I really like. As a whole though, It's a bit too spacious and overproduced, and it's OD Muddy at times.

Also, when guys like PND, or DVSN, put out a solo record it in a way shows you what's so special about Drake. As a writer, rapper, singer, etc. 

Comparing PND to the god the weeknd is our first mistake......this is a Matthew dellavedova vs lebron james

Fixed

After house of balloons everyone knew the weeknd was the truth, and it just came naturally. OVO fans stay tryna force the PND hype when there's clearly nothing there .

Last edited:
Comparing PND to Abel is a bit extreme. Abel coulda retired off of Trilogy it was that good.

PND as an artist does have to do more , but Drake also gotta help. Majid and PND are super talented and it just don't seem like Drake want dudes to shine

Lol haters acting like the weeknd is Michael Jackson now :lol: let party leave Ovo they gonna be on his meat too. Disgusting

PND has got to find a way to get "out there" more, period. His career is just far too reserved if he's looking to be a "star," or sell records.

More feature placements, more writing placements, more videos, more product, more of a healthy direct artist to consumer relationship, etc. Which I think is coming.

Doing interviews and what not wouldn't hurt either.

As far as P3, it's cool. It has some individual records that I really like. As a whole though, It's a bit too spacious and overproduced, and it's OD Muddy at times.

Also, when guys like PND, or DVSN, put out a solo record it in a way shows you what's so special about Drake. As a writer, rapper, singer, etc. 

Yeah definitely .

In that letter yesterday he released with the album he said he was going to start

Back
Top Bottom