⚽️The Footy Thread: German Super Cup, International Champions Cup, Copa Libertadores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should change this to "City in the EPL" in the top box and "City in the UCL" in the bottom box
pTR7f6D.jpg

still think city advances
pool should want city to advance so they might have a better chance at winning the league

I very rarely question Pep, but what in the hell was that starting lineup? And then waiting til the 89th to bring KDB and Sane on when there wasnt much creativity all match long was baffling

1-0 is nothing, but yeah I dont get the thoughts and tactics Pep and the staff had in this one
Delph we really had no choice but to play him cause of the injuries and fitness levels of our other leftbacks. I wouldn’t have started otamendi though but overall he was fine so it is what it is with him. Should’ve made subs quicker though

delph sucks
He was decent last year filling in but been a massive liability this year. Everytime he has had to start no matter the club the amount of switches and overloads to his side of their pitch just increase drastically.

There’s still a second leg. It’s 1-0 I’ll worry when spurs get an away goal

It’s not about you worrying.

It’s about the missed penalty, that absolutely changes everything. That’s the point. In the next two weeks it changes tactics, training, lineups, the amount of pressure building, and most importantly it changes the second leg.

Didn't expect Tottenham to be in the driver's seat after this match but here we are
That makes two of us. We'll see what happens in the second leg though.
We might be in the driver's seat for now but we'll have to put our foot on the gas in the away leg to stay in that seat. Anyone who regularly watches Spurs has seen at times how quick just one goal conceded, even with Spurs in the lead with 1 or 2 goals, can negatively affect the players' performances. Several times we've gone from playing good to great football while in the lead, followed by complete collapse after conceding a goal.

Last edited:
It’s not about you worrying.

It’s about the missed penalty, that absolutely changes everything. That’s the point. In the next two weeks it changes tactics, training, lineups, the amount of pressure building, and most importantly it changes the second leg.

Nah I get all that trust me but that doesn’t change that it’s 1-0 going into the second leg. All things considered much worse situations we could’ve been in. As things stand is regret the missed penalty much more if spurs got a second

That makes two of us. We'll see what happens in the second leg though.
We might be in the driver's seat for now but we'll have to put our foot on the gas in the away leg to stay in that seat.

I’ll say this, Spurs will be better off without Harry Kane for the second leg. They’ll be more dangerous on the counter. You know City will push.

Delph should really not play again this season. him being a constant mark on defense cost us on the goal. It's not ideal to play Laporte at leftback but if Zinchenko and Mendy arent fit going into the second leg id much rather Laporte start there or we just go with a back 3.

He was decent last year filling in but been a massive liability this year. Everytime he has had to start no matter the club the amount of switches and overloads to his side of their pitch just increase drastically.
everytime i've watched yall play delph has been bad
him at left back makes no sense to me

2 holding midfielders...2 holding midfielders for what? Spurs are not creative at all, you play 2 holding midfielders when you are up and need to hold out a result. Not playing away on your first leg and never playing it all season. Pep frustrates me when it comes to big games. Dude is always trying to change something just to change something.

Mahrez on the right is awful, Sane and KDB getting burn with no time left what is he thinking? It was unfortunate Aguero missed the pen but 1-0 down isnt the worst result but it was better than a complete disaster.

Spurs are resilient and will be willing to sit back and counter with Son in the 2nd leg. With Kane out they will be even faster on the counter now. Even if we get one early, Pochettino will still sit back 1-1 and hope we fold.

Pep :smh:

Playing two holding mids wasn’t the problem today. We played well on the whole just the two mistakes a bad pen and delph being in la la land for 3 seconds is what cost us. That’s not on pep or his gameplan he didn’t screw up there, Aguero makes that pen no one questions the tactics. However he should’ve done better with his substitutions. And starting line up wise delph was a rock and a hard place either compromise our best CB at leftback or play delph, otamendi turned out to be fine so it is what it is but I wouldn’t have started him. Also would not have started Mahrez. But in the whole this wasn’t lost on tactics it was lost on moments of individual plat our guys have to do better in

Playing two holding mids wasn’t the problem today. We played well on the whole just the two mistakes a bad pen and delph being in la la land for 3 seconds is what cost us. That’s not on pep or his gameplan he didn’t screw up there, Aguero makes that pen no one questions the tactics. However he should’ve done better with his substitutions. And starting line up wise delph was a rock and a hard place either compromise our best CB at leftback or play delph, otamendi turned out to be fine so it is what it is but I wouldn’t have started him. Also would not have started Mahrez. But in the whole this wasn’t lost on tactics it was lost on moments of individual plat our guys have to do better in
Delph was always the odd man out so no questions there. Of course Aguero making that pen it would change the game making Spurs chase it but we didn't utilize the 4231 at all. Why didnt Delph and Walker continuously bombard forward knowing we have 2 holding midfielders to cover them? Most of the time I saw Mahrez get hounded by 2 spurs on the right or he was making crosses with his weaker right foot. No overlaps by the fullbacks allowing Sterling/Mahrez to cut in and attack more.

We haven't failed to score against the Spurs since 2016. Poch got the better of Pep. Look how he utilized Son on both flanks and centrally like what we do with Sterling at times. When he changes up the tactics and squad when it doesnt work, I have to question his choice. Why not go with the safer option? Like someone said how knocked up was Sane and KDB? It was unfortunate we didnt have Bernardo to play on the right.

On to the 2nd leg, I'm a bit worried but we can still come out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom