∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

If errol randomly said "the proof is in the pudding, b" during that scene I would've died from laughter.

:lol:
The first shot there was, like it was from Errol's perspective. The second shot when Rust started approaching wasn't, it was more just a camera angle from the same spot.

Yea...I thought it may have been from Errol's perspective. The heavy breathing may have been a result of him running from Rust. Unless their encounter happened after...

Yea...I thought it may have been from Errol's perspective. The heavy breathing may have been a result of him running from Rust. Unless their encounter happened after...

That happened before rust chased him. I think I it was when Marty was checking the house and Rust was standing watch outside. Errol was in the shack with his daddy breathing heavy and looking at Rust. Then the dog ran out of the house and **** got real.

Been listening to this at work:

smokin.gif

Imagine the theories for Season 2 if Season 1 was him "playing it straight" :x :lol:
:lol: I mean, he basically made this whole series in a vacuum. Maybe he didn't see so much of the audience being open to the supernatural coming.

Same way he couldn't predict the feminists aiming at the show. Cuz that finale kinda cemented a lot of what they said. And now we got a female-leading season coming.

I just wanna see who's gonna be in it and who's directing.

I pray that this show doesn't go to the supernatural side of things and continues on it's path of using philosophy and religion as a focus. There were so many moments in this show that really make you stop and think... That is the indicator of great entertainment to me the option to think about something and question it.

I want the next season to have a completely different look and feel and new themes too. The only thing connecting the seasons should be that they are detective stories. I wouldn't be mad if the next season was a comedy focusing on a pothead PI :lol:

I want the next season to have a completely different look and feel and new themes too. The only thing connecting the seasons should be that they are detective stories. I wouldn't be mad if the next season was a comedy focusing on a pothead PI :lol:

No more one director for the whole season, next season. I think that'll shake things up. At the end of the day, it's so :pimp: watching 8 episodes and being done with it.

**** the critics
im legit upset that the "feminists" may have an impact on how the creator chooses to create
they need to let Nic, cook-- sit back and let him be great

question though, boys
i've never watch a full season of a show when it actually came out
realistically, im wondering how long until there's casting announcements / release dates / etc
just based on previous shows. i mean with breaking bad came out w/ one season a year, right?
but he still has to write the damn thing, huh? so now we're talkin 2016 |I

Wait, what's this talk of feminists influencing the creator? This goes back to him maybe having female detectives right? People usually just ignore those kind of idiots that complain about things that don't matter.

Agreed. Change it up, have each season have its own identity with the underlying detective theme.

BestCompassionateFlycatcher.gif

Last edited:
Perfection.

I expected a bit more but all in all a very dope season. More of a mini series to me. The maze type thing was super intense.

Bothered me how Rust's character did a 180 on his entire philosophy. But that was a clear creative choice by the writer so I can't knock his vision.

I expected more about the mythology but I think at the end of the day you can't ask for too much because it was just a excuse to rape and kill kids. I expected the yellow king to be much more.... I can't put my finger on it. Didn't get much info on him

Really wish they explained all the stuff with his daughtter. That seemed odd to leave out. Maybe that all ties into what was said about the detectives curse.

Amazing ride all in all. MM put on an acting clinic. It's some of the best I've seen. Huge shock to me.

Watched the finale today.

All I kept thinking was that dudes who tried to Lostify this show with all the theories and analyzed each frame, of each scene, of each episode so that they could pick up all the "clues" are gonna feel some type of way.
laugh.gif

The finale was straightforward yes, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable.

Erroll is just creepy man. Hanging out with his father in that cabin, speaking in those different accents, and fingering his girl/sister while having her retell him her rape story.
alien.gif
Straight up psychopath.

"No."
roll.gif

That scene with Rust following Erroll into his dungeon was intense man. Errol did work on both Rust and Marty (that axe to the chest
sick.gif
) thought for sure they were done.

Maggie and the girls visiting Marty in the hospital was really sad. He realized how much he had and also how much he lost with no one to blame but himself.

The bromance between Rust and Marty was in full effect.
laugh.gif
Really enjoyed the hospital scenes with those two, especially the last one with Rust breaking down then Marty leading him out the hospital.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this season. Harrelson and McConaughey were fantastic, whoever is casted for season 2 has a tough act to follow.

I tried to tell all the ****** with them theories to relax and let the show play out :lol:

Dude's talking about Rust was going to break the 4th wall and ****

Really wish they explained all the stuff with his daughtter. That seemed odd to leave out. Maybe that all ties into what was said about the detectives curse.

True Detective’s Red Herring: Actress Erin Moriarty, Who Plays Marty’s Daughter, Audrey, Tells All

The finale left some questions unanswered as far as Audrey is concerned. There were red flags throughout the series when it came to Audrey, including the toys in her room lined up in a gang rape scenario similar to the one on the dreaded tape.

I know what you mean. That was foreshadowing for later in the investigation. Audrey is someone who’s very affected by her father, as most daughters are, but Marty isn’t present throughout a lot of her childhood because he’s really invested in his job, and he’s not the most faithful husband and has a lot of distractions—like the young girls that come into his life. When you see Audrey early on and she’s playing with her toys in an inappropriate way, it foreshadows how the situation between her parents really impacts her, so when you see her later on, she’s become very dark and has resorted to rebelling against her father and becoming Goth. It’s just a plea for attention because he’s not present in their lives at that point.

That's...wrong. I mean, I get it, it's their story to tell, but you don't do that. It maybe feels like Nic and Cary got lost in all of the imagery and layering and symbolism that they just added one of their recurring images into that scene, just because they could. And that's wrong. The naked people Audrey drew were more than enough to show that Marty's apathy and misogyny towards women was spilling over, and even if Audrey didn't really understand or know what was going on, it affected her.

tumblr_n1zmmaz1GR1qedtv7o1_500.png

I mean, that's a smoking gun. One of the 3 or 4 strongest images in the series, that points out whoever has it or knows about it, as being a part of it. So to have that be something Audrey makes, on her own, unrelated to all the madness going on in the show, isn't a red herring. It's manipulative. You didn't even need to own a computer to remember that image and to keep that idea in mind. That wasn't a theory, it was facts the show gave us. I mean, Rust and Marty didn't even really know about that image until after 2002? And for Marty, not until 2012?

Okay. Maybe it woulda been better if she just didn't say anything about it.

When we shot the finale, we also shot a scene of us going to the hospital to check up on him and Marty asks her about her art and her life, so you can tell he hasn’t been present in her life and regrets the way he’s acted.

Not a big deal, but that right there is exactly what I was talking about before. It felt like Maggie and Audrey were missing one last story beat, and it sounds like it just ended up on the cutting room floor.

Last edited:
That's really just old school film storytelling versus the modern complexity we've gotten used to. I tnought there was a connection as well, but seems like it was just a cut away plot device like those old black and white movies.

Last edited:
still over analyzing I see

View media item 851183
That's really just old school film storytelling versus the modern complexity we've gotten used to. I tnought there was a connection as well, but seems like it was just a cut away plot device like those old black and white movies.
I can respect that. I just feel like it was a little too overt. Keeping that sexual inappropriateness around children theme...I get. I mean, that little cutaway sent a chill down my spine. I just think that's too on the nose, not to trigger anyone even just passively watching the show, into thinking X has to mean Y.

Last edited:
**** the critics
im legit upset that the "feminists" may have an impact on how the creator chooses to create
they need to let Nic, cook-- sit back and let him be great

question though, boys
i've never watch a full season of a show when it actually came out
realistically, im wondering how long until there's casting announcements / release dates / etc
just based on previous shows. i mean with breaking bad came out w/ one season a year, right?
but he still has to write the damn thing, huh? so now we're talkin 2016 |I

why?

the show was fiilled with ****** female characters who either prostitutes, rape victims or ****olding wives

You really don't think some interesting, or females charcters with some level of depth might make the show more interesting?

pf feminists didn't criticize popular culture then why have feminism. :lol:

Last edited:
The women amounted to background characters. It is what it is. Only a prop to use to further show us Marty's behavior.

And yeah little kids don't just set up their dolls for a gang rape. That isn't people going "lost" :lol:

I don't think ever ever been in this thread. I've avoided all the Internet forums. So I watched it in my own vacuum and some of the stuff Nic is saying is BS. It's that simple. You can't just throw out certain things and not expect people to have expectations.

Now all of this chutulu and breaking the 4th wall stuff I'm reading about now I never thought it was gonna get that crazy. But his girl drawing stuff, showing gang rape scenes, and having a threeway can't just be thrown out there like that. That's irresponsible.

I'm mostly gonna remember how awesome the interigation scenes and amazing performance of MM. The show lost a good amount of its replay ability. but it's pretty remarkable. And I don't feel much venom like I did with "lost". This guy at least wasn't egging everyone on and it wasnt all magical anyway.

In other words I don't feel cheated. I just would have preferred the show went in a different direction. but I respect his choices and the season was a success.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom