∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

You're supposed to dislike the characters except for Rust and Marty

That's the beauty of it and why it came full circle in the end

no.

I dislike the way they are written
I dislike Rusty and Marty as characters.

Not like, like I personally like them or dislike them.

Last edited:
Man, what a show. Havent seen something like that in a first season ever.

i see alot of people saying this.. but i dont think we can call it a first season like a traditional show since these characters are done. it was more of a mini series. The two best first seasons of any show ive seen remain Prison Break and Rome.

I felt like I was in there with Rust.. The feels man.. too strong  
tired.gif

Season 2 will be 
nthat.gif

Its doesn't surprise me the writer was a huge Alan Moore fan, much it it sounded like the worst of overwritten Alan Moore dialogue made worse by the fact that humans are saying it rather than reading on a page.

I mean its clear that this show wasn't about anything beyond the show and the genre itself: that is to say: True Detective was pulp fiction about pulp fiction.

I always thought that people who expected all these metaphysical theories people keep unearthing about cuthulu and yellow kings ect ect, I think is just complete mis reading of what the True Detective writers were trying to do.

Just watched. No qualms here, bravo series. It really felt like an 8 hour movie that progressed nicely. Also love how in the end it really is a straight forward cop drama story; no M Night Shlamanyan twists.

All in all, enjoyed it and can't wait for S2 with new storyline and cast.

tumblr_n1uw0b8rpV1tq0iuuo1_400.gif

Its doesn't surprise me the writer was a huge Alan Moore fan, much it it sounded like the worst of overwritten Alan Moore dialogue made worse by the fact that humans are saying it rather than reading on a page.

I mean its clear that this show wasn't about anything beyond the show and the genre itself: that is to say: True Detective was pulp fiction about pulp fiction.

I always thought that people who expected all these metaphysical theories people keep unearthing about cuthulu and yellow kings ect ect, I think is just complete mis reading of what the True Detective writers were trying to do.

You sound like a salty screenwriter that has gotten dozens of rejection letters

Word.

That reminds me of something I read in a comic about screenplays and screenwriters :lol: When their submitted and the writer gets paid to do it the screenplay gets ran through a process to basically be graded and the majority of ppl doing this job are screenwriters who have had all of their screenplays rejected and don't even reach this point in the process cuz that means it's close to being shopped around to directors and other producers.

I didn't dislike
I really disliked large parts of this whole show; 1/2 of the main characters, and all the supporting characters I don't why I watched, probably due to all the people screaming about how great it is.

By the end I found it to be thoroughly decent 8 episodes of television.

Its alright, I find it completely flabbergasting that people are comparing it to The Wire/Breaking Bad/Mad Men

I'm not here to **** on peoples parade, if anything it just goes to show how some of this can be so subjective.

I don't exactly agree, but I guess I get where you're coming from. I mean, I think Rust Cohle and the way he was protrayed is the best new TV...creation since Gus Fring, and the best acting job since Cranston hung em up.

But at the same time, a lot of the background characters ring a little hollow now, with how much of a disposable afterthought they were in the finale. Maybe that's asking too much, cuz for a crime show, that's normal. But more than anything, I felt like the entire Hart family's story sorta ended prematurely. Every one of them needed another story beat. A last step in evolving their characters and revealing a little more depth.

I'm not saying I needed that 1 theory to come true, but it makes the characters less than, that nothing happened. Maggie was the most important character outside of Rust and Cohle, and she's less now, that what we got was really all there was to her. The height of her character was revenge ******* Rust, because she wanted to break up with Marty hard? That's all there was to Audrey? There couldn't be one scene of her just talking to her dad? Just...anything.

It's a testament to the show, that it's built up all these characters and situations that you want more out of, so it's hard to tell what's fair to say they left a bit incomplete.

And yeah, there's no need to mention Breaking Bad or The Wire in here. True Detective is the best show of 2014 so far. Let's just leave it there. :lol:

Last edited:

That reminds me of something I read in a comic about screenplays and screenwriters :lol: When their submitted and the writer gets paid to do it the screenplay gets ran through a process to basically be graded and the majority of ppl doing this job are screenwriters who have had all of their screenplays rejected and don't even reach this point in the process cuz that means it's close to being shopped around to directors and other producers.

Brah like 7 years ago I was sending in a pitch for a sitcom, to TV networks. Based on my work stories. I didn't hear back from most places.

A year later me and my homeboy wrote an entire pilot and like a couple other episodes.. Literally took hundreds upon hundreds of pages to print it, we had to mail some by UPS. He had some agent cousin that would get it in front of the right people

-We got only one response, I think it was Comedy Central. One page, on official letterhead, sent certified mail:

Dear Mr. Shackleford and Mr. Kim,

No.

Sincerely,
Some Head of Production

:smh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . My soul literally started to burn. Ethered wit one word. I immediately decided that I was not bout dat life.

Last edited:

Brah like 7 years ago I was sending in a pitched for a sitcom. Based on my work stories. I didn't hear back from most places.

A year later me and my homeboy wrote an entire pilot and like a couple other episodes.. Literally took hundreds upon hundreds of pages to print it, we had to mail some by UPS. He had some agent cousin that would get it in front of the right people

-We got only one response, I think it was Comedy Central. One page, on official letterhead, sent certified mail:

No.

Sincerely,
Some Head of Production

:smh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . My soul literally started to burn. Ethered wit one word. I immediately decided that I was not bout dat life.

:rofl:

Yoooooo

It's 8 episodes, you can only develop characters so much in 8 episodes

Now the nitpicking happens :lol:

Loved it.

I was expecting to be disappointed going in cause I knew there was no way they could wrap up all the conspiracies and connections neatly. In the end they didnt, but Marty put it into perspective for me in the hospital when he said their case wasn't about all that. The show was always meant to be more about the relationship between the two of them anyways instead of a straight murder mystery and the resolution we got between them was great. That ending speech when Rust finally opened up might be the best work McConaughey's ever done :pimp: I would have thought episode 4 would be his Emmy submission episode but this definitely topped that.

I'm glad yall liked the finale too cause I was expecting there to be a lot more *****ing because of how straight forward the episode was :lol:

Last edited:

Brah like 7 years ago I was sending in a pitched for a sitcom. Based on my work stories. I didn't hear back from most places.

No.

Sincerely,
Some Head of Production

All of those execs that get pitched ideas and scripts are a-holes for the most part. It gets worse if they're courting you. They'll sell you any type of bull **** to get you to bite. On certain named studio lots; paramount, miramax, sony, etc. it's not all the way official in these meetings. Some guys will straight up say "Why the **** are you here?.... Eh?! Why the **** are you taking up my time right now? Who are you" which basically is okay pitch me on this story :lol: :smh:

Like I said if you get far enough to that process those disgruntled screenwriters are grading your work cuz they've failed and naturally they rarely if ever give a passing grade on the script. Their comments gives some of these execs and producers leeway to **** on your work and then still try to option your work anyway. Straight buy your script for you to go away.

I know it must hurt but you probably got off easy with a "No." :lol:

Errol should have been taken ALIVE

would've like to have seen Rust interrogate Errol

followed by the death penalty

taken alive??

Marty and Rust were getting worked. Errol had Rust in the air with a knife in his gut :lol:

Back
Top Bottom