Zero Dark Thirty Vol: The Hunt for Osama bin Laden

Directed: Kathryn Bigelow
Written: Mark Boal

Plot: the hunt for Osama bin Laden and the 10 years in between

Cast: Jessica Chastain, Kyle Chandler, Jason Clarke, Joel Edgerton, Chris Pratt, James Gandolfini, Mark Duplass, Mark Strong, Frank Grillo

Trailer - http://afterthecut.com/2012/10/12/tr...dark-thirty-2/

----------

Saw it last night: Zero Dark Thirty was awe inspiring. Unlike anything you will see this year or in the future. It captured a moment in history that defined a generation and fortified a country. It's the best film of 2012, and frankly, it's not even close.

Mark Boal did a Q & A after the film, met him when it was all done and shook his hand and said thanks for making this movie. We chatted a bit he was a real cool guy.

Full Review: Zero Dark Thirty - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2qU

I'll answer any questions you guys have.

Last edited:
Directed: Kathryn Bigelow
Written: Mark Boal

Plot: the hunt for Osama bin Laden and the 10 years in between

Cast: Jessica Chastain, Kyle Chandler, Jason Clarke, Joel Edgerton, Chris Pratt, James Gandolfini, Mark Duplass, Mark Strong, Frank Grillo

Trailer - http://afterthecut.com/2012/10/12/tr...dark-thirty-2/

----------

Saw it last night: Zero Dark Thirty was awe inspiring. Unlike anything you will see this year or in the future. It captured a moment in history that defined a generation and fortified a country. It's the best film of 2012, and frankly, it's not even close.

Mark Boal did a Q & A after the film, met him when it was all done and shook his hand and said thanks for making this movie. We chatted a bit he was a real cool guy.

Full review coming right up. I'll answer any questions you guys have.

thought hurt locker was a very well directed and written film. def hyped to see this. will prolly look to check out the limited engagements on dec 19.

Here's a preview of my review on what I said about Chastain:

"Chastain delivers a performance in Zero Dark Thirty that touches your soul. It’s a powerful, fearsome and gritty display by one of the leading woman in Hollywood that will undoubtedly earn her Oscar gold for Best Female Actress. This is the type of performance that isn’t forgotten, the stuff we will be comparing up and coming actresses to 20, 30 and 50 years from now."

I find it quite hilarious there is already a movie about this

when you see it, there will be nothing funny about it. Trust me.

And if Bigelow and Boal didn't do it, someone else will.

The original plan for this film was about 2001 when America lets bin Laden escape in Tora Bora. As they were about 4 months from getting that film started the US killed bin Laden and they quickly started re writes and doing research and purchased the rights to the film.

As they were shooting Boal was rewriting on set and talking to various sources in the Defense Department and other first hand accounts. He even said last night that doing The Hurt Locker gave them credibility and since he was already a journalist spending most of his time in the Middle East and Jordan - he already established high ranking sources.

This isn't a rush job. It's simply a story that needed to be told. And was told to a degree you can't even imagine until you see it.

I hate these type of propaganda films that try to paint US military involvement overseas as "heroic"

I hate these type of propaganda films that try to paint US military involvement overseas as "heroic"

Calling this a propaganda film when you haven't seen it says a lot about you. Don't be such a conspiracy theorist. Watch the film first, I truly believe you will change your tune afterwards.

I'm not calling it a rush job or anything like that. And I certainly do not think this is a story that had to have been told when we are so misinformed about what really is going on in the Middle East it is laughable that there is a movie about "what really happened to get Osama"

I'm sure it is a great film and not knocking it for not being a good film. But it is not going to be an accurate account for anything that has happened since 9/11.  

Edit: And sorry! Not trying to derail your thread about the movie and make this about politics. Carry on everyone

Last edited:
I'm not calling it a rush job or anything like that. And I certainly do not think this is a story that had to have been told when we are so misinformed about what really is going on in the Middle East it is laughable that there is a movie about "what really happened to get Osama"

I'm sure it is a great film and not knocking it for not being a good film. But it is not going to be an accurate account for anything that has happened since 9/11.  

All I can tell you is Mark Boal received first hand accounts of what took place. He's a journalist, said he is confident in his sources and what transpired in the film was essentially reporting for him. If you don't believe that, that's fine. I'm just telling you what I know, and what I heard from the man who wrote the film himself.

The reason I'm stressing this, and saying you guys who are skeptical will change your tune when seeing the film is how detailed certain situations are handled. They are done in such a calculated fashion even on film that this wasn't a fantastical imagination put on screen.

At the end of the day you have to be the judge for yourself. It hits theaters on Dec 19 in limited release I believe.

i hope it has more to do with the manhunt for OBL and not so much about the abysmal Afghanistan invasion, although the two are inevitably intertwined. 

Last edited:
Yeah, hey OP, did they include in the movie how the man was really dead for ten years?

In all seriousness, did the movie explain how the Seals in the "raid" were killed in the helicopter?

Rashi knows^

Yeah, hey OP, did they include in the movie how the man was really dead for ten years?
In all seriousness, did the movie explain how the Seals in the "raid" were killed in the helicopter?
Rashi knows^

The helicopter crash is shown in the film

The helicopter crash is shown in the film

Really? Huh, I wonder what they blamed that on?

Regardless, the movie didn't go into how Osama was a CIA asset (this has been proven) and how he really died somewhere around 2001 or 2002.

Nobody saw the body fam, it didn't happen.

It's getting great reviews, please elaborate on your statement because I don't see how it's "straight propoganda"

Well, it is a movie...

Navy Seals are dead, no US sailors witnessed the "burial", numerous reports out of Pakistan said this "raid" even took place, and only "officials" are confirming this whole thing.

Nietzsche once said "People don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed."

I saw the one one Netflix thinking it was this one.

Pretty hard to say it's not propaganda.

this was a good live camera documentary I watched afterwards.
Doesn't really show the glamorous side of war like Hollywood can but it's good.

View media item 161612

Last edited:
Review: Zero Dark Thirty - the hunt for Osama bin Laden right before your eyes. Jessica Chastain gives a heroic performance in the hands down most tense, harrowing and triumphant film of the year - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2qU

Last edited:
Review: Zero Dark Thirty - the hunt for Osama bin Laden right before your eyes. Jessica Chastain gives a heroic performance in the hands down most tense, harrowing and triumphant film of the year - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2qU

Don't waste your time, NT is full of people who think 9/11 were missles and we never landed on the moon

How many times do I have to say it!?! I'm not saying we didn't land on the moon. I'm just saying Apollo 11 didn't land on the moon! :lol:

Thanks for the review link.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom