young thug... Barter 6 out.

This rides through so well to me. I always come to one particular song and end up listening to the whole thing like twice :lol:

I don't even know what to say about where exactly the ball is being dropped. Lyor is a convenient scapegoat but just the little observing I do let's me know that Thug isn't the easiest ___ to bring to action. Whoever the cause is, something should really be done. It feels like the most obvious **** to do (get "Digits" to radios early, put the video for it at the top of the queue, etc.) just isn't being done. Really is a shame.

"Webbie" is so damn fire, man.

Last edited:
300 is a joke.

How y'all got investments from Silicon Valley but Thug isn't marketed correctly online?

It's a bunch of old industry dudes trying to act like they know anything about the next generation.

I got respect for what Lyor did early in his career but that was precisely because it was his time.

It's not his time anymore. If any of these record industry dinosaurs were smart, they would hire a ***** around Thug age with a skill set and ambition to manage his career.

Thug is an artist of the now and the future, you need somebody from his generation to help present his work to the world properly.

Last edited:
I don't think y'all understand what Thug and Lyor are doing now. Low key, it's smart.

1. They are selling 20k to 40k disposable mixtapes every few months. They are marketing these tapes as "Albums".....but they aren't even albums. The label is putting little in the marketing budget for these....and still able to sell tapes that woulda been free on Datpiff and Lvrmixtapes for profit.

2. They then release them for free a few days later ...let the songs be distributed on all the steaming services....and rack up streams/views.....while building the fan base and allowing Thug to constantly tour with new content.

All the newer street rappers are following this type of blueprint. 21 Savage released his last mixtape "Savage Mode" for sale for about a week. It was #1 on iTunes.

Imagine if Future sold 50k mixtapes every few months during his "3peat" that's a crazy run from October to March.

Thug dropped:

I'm up in Feb of 2016: it sold 22k first week
Ss3 in March of 2016: sole 38k in first week

And now Jeffery in August.

This ***** essentially sold at least 100k units worth of music in 6 months. Notice how he hasn't even dropped an official album yet.

All of these are lacked mixtapes.

I don't think y'all understand what Thug and Lyor are doing now. Low key, it's smart.

1. They are selling 20k to 40k disposable mixtapes every few months. They are marketing these tapes as "Albums".....but they aren't even albums. The label is putting little in the marketing budget for these....and still able to sell tapes that woulda been free on Datpiff and Lvrmixtapes for profit.

2. They then release them for free a few days later ...let the songs be distributed on all the steaming services....and rack up streams/views.....while building the fan base and allowing Thug to constantly tour with new content.

All the newer street rappers are following this type of blueprint. 21 Savage released his last mixtape "Savage Mode" for sale for about a week. It was #1 on iTunes.

Imagine if Future sold 50k mixtapes every few months during his "3peat" that's a crazy run from October to March.

Thug dropped:

This ***** essentially sold at least 100k units worth of music in 6 months. Notice how he hasn't even dropped an official album yet.

That method is surely helping 300 as far as money goes, but at this point it's his same fanbase that is buying these albums/mixtapes. this isn't helping him gain any traction on a larger scale and i don't think his buzz has grown much over the last year.

This illusion of Mixtapes that labels do with certain artist imo is just reasoning for them to do less marketing & gauge the publics real interest without the word "flop" being thrown around in association with their artist. At the end of the day, it's original music it's being promoted, & for whatever reason outside of certain demographics the music isn't sticking to a larger amount of people.

After the Rich Gang tape people started to say he was bound for superstardom, a year passed he picked up a lil more steam then people started to say things like he's gonna take future's lane, he's the new wayne, yet another year later and several projects and the jump just hasn't occured despite him having a lot of support from two of the biggest execs in rap history, Blog support & club play.

All this **** is an illusion. Just like counting streams as sells. The vultures have figured out another way to get paid while robbing the artist.

They can say whatever artist went platinum (even though they didn't) by these new rules and it looks and sounds good.

Last edited:
It's not his time anymore. If any of these record industry dinosaurs were smart, they would hire a ***** around Thug age with a skill set and ambition to manage his career.

Thug is an artist of the now and the future, you need somebody from his generation to help present his work to the world properly.

This sound like yo application

Thug dropped:

The day he drops an "album" he will do the same 20-30k he's been doing. Thug isn't winning over any new fans right now, at all. It worked for a guy like 21 savage because his fan base grew like a wild fire. Honestly, Lil uzi should sell his next mixtape, his fan base grew like a mfer also. We all just expected son to be on that next level by now, all the delays, blocked projects did nothing but hurt the guy.

Gates did the same thing with his mixtapes did 20-30k fist week a few times and sold 100k first week on his real album
laugh.gif

Not saying they're the same or that he's gonna do 100k without some real radio singles but this a proven strategy. It's pretty much a new twist on the "Radiohead Model" from 10 years ago

Last edited:
Well of course if he has a really really and 2 phones. Gates actually pushes his songs that got potential. And gates ig rants/fake smart interviews antics work better than thugs fake gay antics.

Yeah Gates trolling seems to be more effective that gay **** really be getting to _'s 
laugh.gif

Matter of fact I was on Gates IG the other day and it look like he got a new hashtag catchphrase he doing in every video now 
laugh.gif

It's funny to watch the **** play out because they're both affiliated with Atlantic and tryna do the same **** in a different way

Last edited:
I already said, no project Thug has put out has been the proper showcase of his range.

Instead of putting projects out that are watered down, get his best material for 10 songs and put all the money behind it.

The strategy would be cool if Thug was a new artist but he's not, he should be way further along.

I definitely see what you mean about the quality of tapes. _ got tons of heat just wasting in the stash 
mean.gif

As far as him not being a new artist Gates been around longer than Thug, had a similar stint with Birdman back in 2011-2012, etc and the strategy worked fine for him but it was also in tandem with 2 radio hits. 

Like I said I feel you tho

Last edited:
Gates got his own label and team too. He's signed to Atlantic but if you got your own label that strategy makes sense. When you don't and it's people in your pocket it makes no sense for the artist to do that. Of course the label wants to do that cuz they can eat off you. :lol: They'll sell all his tapes.

And again, gates pushes all his songs that get that buzz. 2 phones, really really, the song with august were everywhere. They just now pushing digits, like just now. Then add to the fact thug just started doing a few interviews when gates been doing em for years and pulling his antics to get headlines while doing em.

Last edited:
Thug gotta drop the gay "act", that's really the biggest thing holding him back
It certainly plays a role. Hiphop has always been quite homophobic. There's a lot of people who will simply refuse to listen to Thug because of his antics, regardless of the music. Even Frank Ocean isn't exempt from that.

Sure it gets his name out there but I assume it hurts him a lot more than he gains from it

Being gay doesn't hurt Frank at all. He doesn't promote himself as gay artist by wearing woman's clothes and all the **** Thug does or says. It's about the music with Frank.

Frank coming out right before Channel Orange was the greatest marketing move ever. This whole hip-hop is "homophobic" idea is dated. It's practically ran by homosexuals.

Young Thug is a lot bigger than the numbers suggest and his "antics" certainly don't play a part in why the numbers aren't bigger.

Nah I know alot of people who won't listen to dude at all because of the antics. I seen so many memes and people making statuses about they don't know how people listen to that f word etc.

That works both ways. As many as people as you know that don't listen to him because of the antics...I can bet you there's a ton of people who listen to him BECAUSE of the antics and what he represents

Thug isn't bigger than the numbers suggest his numbers are always consistent for a reason. Sure he had a few popular songs but thug isn't as big (musically) as y'all want him to be.
When dude dropped the album more people were commenting and making fun of that stupid cover than they were discussing his music.

Being gay doesn't hurt Frank at all. He doesn't promote himself as gay artist by wearing woman's clothes and all the **** Thug does or says. It's about the music with Frank.

This is true

Last edited:
Wyclef Jean is my new 2md favorite behind riri. I love when son switches it up and shows his versatility. The actual song with Wyclef tho I hate.

Back
Top Bottom