WWE Night of Champions PPV 9/15 | Prediction Contest Open! | Orton v Bryan | Punk v AXEL/Heyman

They've jobbed other MITB winners, but NEVER like Sandow.  Seriously, what's the point?  Not only does it bury Sandow, but it buries the entire MITB gimmick.

They've jobbed other MITB winners, but NEVER like Sandow.  Seriously, what's the point?  Not only does it bury Sandow, but it buries the entire MITB gimmick.
Then he'll win the mitb only to lose the belt Ina few months ala dolph and sthwagger :smh:

Benoit.
pimp.gif
ohwell.gif

frown.gif
mean.gif
tired.gif

Watching that Hogan/Yokozuna match reminded of how much wrestling shenanigans you overlooked when you were a kid.
laugh.gif

Now I'm like:

Why did Mr. Fuji challenge Capt. Save-a-Bret to a match after Yokozuna just finished one, and put up Yokozuna's newly won title to boot?

Why did Bret Hart okay Hogan accepting the challenge on some damsel in distress, defend my honor steez?

Seeing this vid, You could make the argument that Hogan was the OG MITB winner.
laugh.gif

I could only imagine a scenario like this playing out now, only with Triple H being substituted for Hogan. All of use would be in here screaming bloody murder.
laugh.gif

20130911_LIGHT_JimRoss_C.jpg

WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross announced that he is retiring from WWE today, after 20 years of service, to focus on his personal business endeavors.

Jim has had a long and storied career at WWE, both on the corporate staff as well as his television persona, calling some of the most memorable matches in WWE history as the voice of Monday Night Raw and SmackDown for more than two decades. He made his debut with WWE at WrestleMania IX in 1993 and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007 by his long-time friend “Stone Cold” Steve Austin.

Jim has made many contributions to WWE and the sports-entertainment industry, and we thank him for his many years of service and wish him well.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/jim-ross-to-retire-26147422

I would argue with anyone that JR is the biggest talent that WWE has wasted in the past decade.

WrestlingObserver....

The WWE's web site announced Jim Ross is retiring from the company to pursue other personal business endeavors.

Ross met with Vince McMahon today where the decision was made to end his run with the company, which had had a few stops and starts, dating back to the 1993 WrestleMania show.

The decision, which was made by McMahon, was first told to us by a source in the company that it was possible, if not likely on the day of SummerSlam, stemming from the now-infamous 2K Sports symposium where Ric Flair spoke at length about a variety of subjects.

Ross took heat from management for not cutting Flair off and keeping the symposium to what it was scripted to be.  Even though it was a 2K Sports symposium, and 2K Sports people had no problem with Flair's behavior, those in WWE were not happy with certain subjects and how they were brought up.

Since nothing had happened for three weeks, many expected that the heat and blown over.

I would argue with anyone that JR is the biggest talent that WWE has wasted in the past decade.

They must have had trouble with getting him to drop those incredible pop culture references that are an integral part of wrestling commentary.

I heard good stuff about it. Exaggerated and stories retold through his point if view though. Not wwe published, so he didn't hold back.

Just to give everyone a taste.

Starting out-

Just like everybody else, my goal was to get into the WWF, but although I’d improved and learned a lot, I wasn’t ready to try out for the big leagues. I was still trying to make a name for myself, so I was going to have to go to another territory first. Since I was living in the South, the best bet seemed to be the Southern promotions. Pat Rose made up for attempting brain surgery on me by calling around, and he got us a spot as a tag team with Mid-South Wrestling in Tennessee. That territory was run by the Jerries — Jerry Jarrett and Jerry Lawler. They had a TV show, so it would be good for exposure, and the territory had been running for a while so people knew about it. People also knew about some of their wrestlers, including Scott Steiner, the Fullers, the Moondogs, and Jeff Jarrett, the son of the promoter, who obviously was getting a pretty big push and was treated like a star. Jerry Lawler was their main attraction — they loved him in Memphis.

I was told we would get paid every two weeks, but when that first paycheck came, I knew something wasn’t right. Jeff Jarrett came in with everybody’s envelopes and handed out the checks. Everybody looked at them and, to a man, everybody looked so depressed. Jeff came back in later, all smiles, and said, “Damn, you guys are all acting like somebody died.” Somebody else said, “You get the ******g paycheck we just got, you’d feel the same damn way.” He didn’t say anything. He knew.
Nobody was making money. The most I ever made working for Jeff’s useless ******g Pappy was $189 for two weeks’ work. $189 for 12 shows. That’s about 15 bucks a match. You couldn’t even eat and get to the shows on that. Everyone piled four or more into a car to travel. I took showers at the buildings, ate nothing but crackers and Vienna sausage, because I couldn’t afford any other food, and slept in my car in rest areas. It was terrible. Meanwhile, Jarrett and Lawler were putting all the money in their own pockets. The only wrestler they paid well was Jeff. He was driving around in a nice vehicle and making a ton of money. What could any of us say to him? His dad was the promoter! Jeff was a real dickhead back then. Still is, as far as I’m concerned. He reminds me a lot of Triple H — and that’s not a good thing. Jeff will stab you in the back because he’s not man enough to stab you in the front. When you talk to him face to face, he’s charming and he’ll suck you in, make you feel you can trust him, but as soon as you’re gone he’ll bury you, and you’ll never know it. He’s the furthest thing from a man. I ended up working with him in the WWF years later and he just kept doing things that made me realize how worthless he is. . . .But I’ll get to that later. Mid-South Wrestling wasn’t working out. They’d told me I’d make enough to live comfortably but one step up from being a vagrant didn’t seem too comfortable to me.

Working with Flair
They called me back to do another squash match soon after that. Easy money, I figured. I drove to Atlanta, walked in the arena, and was told, “You’re working with Flair.”

Ric Flair was a multiple-time World Champion and, at that point, already considered one of the greatest wrestlers who ever lived. I was a nervous wreck when I found out I would be working with him. The agents — backstage managers — were matter of fact about it: “You’re with Flair, just do what he says.” I went up to him in the locker room and said, “Mr. Flair, I’m working with you tonight. I can pretty much do whatever you need me to.” He said, “All right, just listen to me out there,” and walked off. He didn’t shake my hand, didn’t talk about the match, nothing. This was Ric Flair, the biggest name in professional wrestling, and he acted like it too. I got so wound up before that match. I just didn’t want to **** anything up, but he hadn’t talked to me about anything. I didn’t even know what the finish was going to be. I had to go out there without knowing a damn thing, listen, and just do what he said. It was intimidating to say the least.

When it was time, I went out to the ring. No music, no fanfare, no reaction. I just stood in that ring, shaking like a leaf. Flair’s music hit and there he was, in one of his extravagant robes, strutting to the ring for a match with me. I might have looked calm, but I was panicking on the inside. We locked up and he started calling things to me, telling me what to do. He had me bump him around at the start. I thought, “Damn, he’s giving me an awful lot already. . . .” I threw him around with some tackles and clotheslines. I did a hiptoss out of the corner on him, being sure to protect him by tucking his head as he went so he got over and didn’t hurt his neck. I had thought he’d just go out there, run through a couple of his moves with me, and finish me off in two or three minutes. We ended up going back and forth for about 10 minutes before he got me in the figure-four leglock and I gave up.

I couldn’t believe it. I was the guy they brought in for the stars to beat the piss out of, and here was the biggest star of them all giving me some offense and making me look like I stood a chance. He didn’t treat me like just a job guy out there; he gave me more than he gave most other enhancement guys. It was a great experience.
Coming to the back, I waited for him by the curtain so I could thank him for the match. After he’d finished celebrating in front of the crowd, he got to the back, walked over and just kept walking. I didn’t know what to do. It was common courtesy to thank your opponent after the match, or at least that’s always what I’d been taught. I thought I’d better go find him. I caught up with him in the locker room, walked over, and said, “Thank you for the match.” He just said, “Yep.” I went to leave and then he said, “Hey, when you gave me the hiptoss, you held my head down. I hold my head up to get up high on that. Don’t hold my head down.” I apologized and that was that. He turned away and went about his business. Back then, I didn’t know much better — I thought, “Hell, he’s one of the biggest stars in the business.” But when I reflect back, it’s wrong in so many ways.

Whenever somebody let me beat them, even when I was on TV a lot and at the highest point of my career, I still made sure to thank the guy who put me over, because he had helped make me look good. I didn’t make them come looking for me. My ego was never that big that I made people track me down and thank me for beating them! What Flair did was kind of ****** up, in my opinion. I appreciated how much he gave me in the match, but the way he acted afterwards left a little to be desired. As great as he was, who was he to do that to somebody who put him over and made him look good? You can be the biggest star in the entire wrestling industry and you’ve still got no right to not thank someone. It’s just courtesy.

Years later, in the 2000s, when Flair and I were both working for WWE, I told him that I’d worked with him back in the NWA and he didn’t remember. That didn’t surprise me because he worked so many matches. He was Ric Flair, so of course I’d remember. Who was I at that point? Not memorable enough to stand out from all the other jobbers, obviously! I didn’t tell him about how he treated me after the match though. I didn’t see any reason to bring it up. I’ve got a lot of respect for Ric, for what he’s done in the business and who he became. It’s just sad to see him now when he’s in his 60s and still out there trying to wrestle. He’s become a parody of himself. He needs to get out of the business. He needed to years ago.

WWE gave him a huge send-off in 2008 at WrestleMania XXIV, where he had what was supposed to be his final match against Shawn Michaels. They put him in the Hall of Fame and threw him a huge retirement ceremony on the RAW after ’Mania. It was the perfect way to retire. Then he signed up with TNA, a group that likes to kid themselves that they are competition for WWE, and he’s still doing matches now and then as I write this book. It’s really sad. His retirement was the biggest send-off WWE had ever done by a mile and him coming back to wrestle for TNA was a total slap in the face both to Shawn and to Vince McMahon.

Jeff Jarrett

My first match in a WWF ring was on January 11, 1994. It was at a TV taping but the match didn’t air until much later in the month.

My old “friend” from Mid-South, Jeff Jarrett, had just started there too, and they were going to push him big time. He’d been given a country-music gimmick and a lot of vignettes to make him look like a superstar coming in — and the only reason they were running with him was that his daddy was now working in the WWF office. Interestingly enough, that was when everybody’s pay in the WWF got cut.

I can just imagine the conversation: “Hey Vince, you ain’t got to pay these guys what you’re paying ’em; they’ll work for nothing!” Working for Jarrett was one step up from slave labor and the only guy who ever benefited from it was his son. I honestly don’t think Jeff would have gone anywhere in the wrestling business if he hadn’t have been Jerry Jarrett’s kid.

The Kliq

Shawn’s little group of buddies, the Clique, as they called themselves, were taking over. It was Shawn, Scott, Kevin Nash, and the 1-2-3 Kid. Triple H would ***-kiss his way into the group when he turned up in 1995 and kept ***-kissing his way to the top of the industry. Before Triple H, Shawn was the biggest ******* in the company. He was a complete ****. When I started, he had been decent to me, but as time went on, he turned into an arrogant smartass. We were in Europe when I first butted heads with the Clique.

When we were overseas, we were given cards to fill out to order food for the bus after the show. I had been with the company about four months at this point and I was working mainly with Rick or with Savio Vega (when he was wrestling as Kwang — a good worker who knew what he was doing). After my match on our first night in Germany, I got showered and dressed, then went to the kitchen to get my food. It wasn’t there. I thought that was a little strange. Same thing the next night . . . and the night after that. I went with Rick into the kitchen the next day and, again, my food wasn’t there. Rick asked what was going on and I told him my food had been missing for the past three nights. I said I’d been filling my card out but there was never any food. Rick looked around with me — he didn’t find my food but he found my card. It was torn into pieces on the floor. I figured this was somebody’s way of ribbing me, but to me that’s a dirty rib. You don’t mess with somebody’s food or clothing.

The next night, I was in catering, eating with Randy. Rick came over, sat down, and said, “Hey Randy, Bob’s food has been missing after the shows and we found his card torn up.” Randy, in his growly Macho Man voice, said, “Well, I saw someone tearing up a food card so I know who’s doing it, brother . . . it was Shawn. And you’ve got to stop it now before it gets any worse.” So after my match, I took my shower and changed. Sure enough, in the kitchen, my food wasn’t there. Rick was with me and asked what I was going to do. I said, “Just watch.” I stormed off down the hall. Randy spotted me, saw that I was pissed, and asked what I was doing. I said I was looking for someone. He replied, “He’s in the shower.”

Randy and Rick followed me and stood outside the door of the room where the Clique were changing. They had set up their own little area away from the other boys. Before I went in, I said to Randy and Rick, “Don’t worry, I’ve got this,” and I shut the door behind me. Scott Hall was milling around and Shawn had just got done in the shower. I said, “Shawn, what’s your ******g problem with me?” He looked at me and said, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I said, “The **** you don’t know . . . I don’t think I need to remind you. If you’ve got a problem with me, you come up to me and you discuss it with me, but the next time you touch my ******g food, I swear to God, I will cut all your fingers off with bolt cutters. Do not **** with me.” Scott jumped in and tried to be a tough guy, so I turned to him and said, “************, don’t come any closer or I will ******g drop you.” He backed up, playing all cool and everything, and said, “Hey, come on, there’s no need for this. . . .” I responded, “I’m nobody to **** with, Scott. Don’t try me.” Shawn didn’t say one word. I turned around and walked out of there. Randy and Rick were standing outside the door, laughing and carrying on. Randy looked at me and said, “That’s the way you ******g handle things, right there. . . .”

I wasn’t done with the Clique though. The next day, as I was heading into catering, I saw Scott and Kevin Nash sitting on one of the stage equipment boxes, being ***** to everybody who went by. Kevin smarted off at me so I stopped, looked him straight in the eye, and, in front of everybody, said, “You say one more word to me and I will knock your *** out.” Then I drew an X on his chin with my finger and said, “This is where I’m gonna hit you.” Nash couldn’t believe it. That sum***** just sat there and looked at me as if to say “What do I do now?” They never ****** with me again.

Not sure if posted, via Yahoo: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/top-five-wrestlers-mic-history-151100297--spt.html

Top Five Wrestlers on the Mic in History

COMMENTARY | The ability to deliver effective promos is one of the most important skills that a professional wrestler can possess.

Wrestlers who were great athletes but were ineffective on the mic never achieved the level of success that lesser athletes who could speak well attained. This is even truer today with the scarcity of managers that once covered for wrestlers whose mic skills were poor. Most of the greatest wrestlers in history had outstanding mic skills and many fans remember their promos even more than their matches.

Take a look back at the top five wrestlers on the mic in history.

5. The Rock

While Steve Austin was stunning Vince McMahon every week during the Attitude Era, The Rock was entertaining wrestling fans with his amazing mic work. He brought an infectious energy to everything he did in wrestling from his matches to his promos. The Rock's "This Is Your Life" segment with Mick Foley is one of the greatest moments ever on Raw. Although his most recent WWE mic work wasn't as strong upon his return, The Rock still belongs on this list.

4. CM Punk

Some fans contend that CM Punk's mic skills stand out today only because other wrestlers don't deliver promos as well as they did years ago. While there may be some validity to that contention, there is no denying that Punk is in a league of his own on the mic today. In fact, he is such a skilled mic worker that he can easily move between heel and babyface characters. I still get chills watching CM Punk's worked shoot promo on Raw from a couple of years ago.

3. Ric Flair

Before every minute detail of wrestling promos were scripted as they are today, these three wrestlers were truly legends on the mic. Ric Flair was incredible on the mic in that he could deliver a variety of amazing promos. When the situation was appropriate, he could play a funny heel. Flair could also get worked up to the point that his head looked like it would explode. And as a rare face character, Ric Flair could show real emotion on the mic for the fans.

2. Dusty Rhodes

Fantasy Football Signup
Dusty Rhodes was truly one of the most unique characters in wrestling history. From his funny jive antics in the wrestling ring to his larger than life figure, Rhodes' charisma mesmerized fans in the 1970s and 1980s. But Dusty Rhodes is perhaps best remembered for the amazing promos and interviews he delivered on the mic. In fact, the WWE should consider giving Dusty Rhodes some kind of on-air role today to utilize his tremendous mic skills.

1. Roddy Piper

In the interest of full disclosure, Roddy Piper is my all-time favorite wrestler. But the reason why he occupies that position is because of his amazing mic skills. Everyone knows of the greatness that was Piper's Pit. However, many fans missed Piper's equally stellar mic work before that on Georgia Championship Wrestling. In fact, Roddy Piper was so great on the mic that I may have been one of the few kids in the world who hated Hulkamania in the 1980s.

Honorable mention greatest wrestlers on the mic

Arn Anderson, Steve Austin, Edge and Christian, Mick Foley, Michael Hayes, Hulk Hogan, The Iron Sheik, Chris Jericho, Raven, Jake Roberts, Randy Savage

Patrick Michael lives in New Orleans and has always been a big fan of pro wrestling. Patrick's favorite wrestling promotion was Mid-South Wrestling back in the 1980s. Patrick's favorite wrestling angle of all-time was the NWO and his favorite wrestler is Roddy Piper.

Did Holly still have his racecar gimmick when he stood up to the kliq? I'm trying to imagine a long haired Holly telling nash he'll knock him out.

- Goldust received a standing ovation when he got to the locker room after his match with Randy Orton on Monday’s RAW. The feeling was that Goldust came in and “flipped the switch” – adding to the storylines.

- The WWE creative team “went out of their way” to make fans believe that Curtis Axel has no chance against CM Punk. The seed has been planted so that Paul Heyman may “seek out an upgrade” to take out Punk.

- WWE officials and Edge were talking at Monday’s RAW as the company continues to try and sign him to a Legends contract.

Edge previously turned down a Legends deal due to money but now it’s said he is interested in securing more money in WWE merchandising and licensing. Word from RAW is that nothing was signed.

On a related note, which was probably just a precautionary measure, Edge was checked out by WWE doctors to see if he could have mild physical contact.

- Before Ric Flair got heat from WWE officials for SummerSlam weekend, they were working on creating a new position in the company, just for Flair. WWE wants Flair to be an ambassador to the company but along with that, Triple H wanted to use Flair to “polish” developmental talents before they come to the main roster.

WWE wanted Flair to work with NXT stars on main event psychology and promos. The idea was for talents who officials are high up on or talents who are ready for TV, would have some one-on-one time with Flair.

Flair’s heat will likely blow over, if it hasn’t already, and they are expected to go forward with the new role for him.

I never really thought of him as a tough guy until he beat the brakes off that guy on an episode of Tough Enough. But he looked more like a bully after that.

Did Holly still have his racecar gimmick when he stood up to the kliq? I'm trying to imagine a long haired Holly telling nash he'll knock him out.

I think so. He only became Hardcore Holly during the middle phase of the Attitude Era. I maybe wrong though.

Watching that Hogan/Yokozuna match reminded of how much wrestling shenanigans you overlooked when you were a kid. :lol:

Now I'm like:

Why did Mr. Fuji challenge Capt. Save-a-Bret to a match after Yokozuna just finished one, and put up Yokozuna's newly won title to boot?

Why did Bret Hart okay Hogan accepting the challenge on some damsel in distress, defend my honor steez?

Seeing this vid, You could make the argument that Hogan was the OG MITB winner. :lol:

I could only imagine a scenario like this playing out now, only with Triple H being substituted for Hogan. All of use would be in here screaming bloody murder. :lol:

I was 8 or 9 at the time and it bothered me from day 1.

Paul Heyman "seeking an upgrade"....:rofl: :pimp: the seeds have been planted to get this loser Axel off my tv screen

Very good idea for Flair to possibly help NXT guys out with promos and stuff. That would really be beneficial to both the talents and Flair.

JR retiring is definitely the end of an era. There's quite a few matches his voice was needed this year and last year.

Last edited:
Paul Heyman "seeking an upgrade"....:rofl: :pimp: the seeds have been planted to get this loser Axel off my tv screen

Very good idea for Flair to possibly help NXT guys out with promos and stuff. That would really be beneficial to both the talents and Flair.

JR retiring is definitely the end of an era. There's quite a few matches his voice was needed this year and last year.

I would assume the upgrade would be a call-up from NXT. Kruger perhaps?

And I would've definitely loved to hear JR call the Punk/Brock, Taker/Punk and Bryan/Cena matches.

Back
Top Bottom