WSW (White Supremacist Watch) Thread

Neo-Nazi boyfriend murders 16-year-old girlfriend's parents, according to report
police-tape-crime-tape_1494504598105_3293547_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/na...r-old-girlfriends-parents-according-to-report

RESTON, Va. (AP) -- A teenager has been charged with fatally shooting his girlfriend's parents in their northern Virginia home after they rejected him for his Neo-Nazi views.

Police say the 17-year-old shot himself after shooting the couple and is hospitalized in life-threatening condition.

Police in Fairfax County, a Washington suburb, announced Saturday they filed charges against the teen. His name wasn't released because of his age.

Forty-eight-year-old Scott Fricker and his wife, 43-year-old Buckley Kuhn-Fricker, were shot Friday in their home in the community of Reston. Police say the teen knew the victims, who confronted him when he entered their home. Police say the teen then shot the couple and himself.

The Washington Post reported Saturday the suspect had been dating the couple's daughter, but that the family had recently persuaded her to break up with him because he espoused neo-Nazi philosophies.

^ damn yo, neo nazi's in my backyard. Indoctrination... I hope he survives to live the rest of his life in solitary.

- Regarding Megan Merkle, its like people can't help themselves but to be racist, it's their true feelings. She couldn't have made a joke in private, nope, she had to display her bigotry to the world.
What does Carson Wentz have to say about his wife facing this crap?

Skint ex-Arsenal defender Emmanuel Eboue hides from bailiffs, sleeps on pal's floor and can't afford washing machine
Emmanuel Eboue's staggering riches-to-rags plight, after an illustrious seven year career in the Premier League, has pushed him to the brink of suicide

MAIN-SUNDAY-MIRROR-PRODUCTION.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-emmanuel-eboue-skint-bailiffs-11746303

Eleven years ago he was lining up to take part in the biggest club match in world football.

During an illustrious seven-year career in the Premier League , he pocketed millions of pounds in wages, lived in a mansion and drove flashy cars.

Now ex-Arsenal defender Emmanuel Eboue spends his days hiding from bailiffs, sometimes sleeps on the floor of a friend’s home, travels by bus and even cleans his clothes by hand because he has no washing machine.

Today, the 34-year-old tells how his staggering riches-to-rags plight has pushed him to the brink of suicide.

“I want God to help me,” he says. “Only he can help take these thoughts from my mind.”

To listen to Eboue open his heart is as harrowing as it is shocking.

SUNDAYMIRROR-PROD-Emmanuel-Eboue.jpg

Emmanuel Eboue says his fall from grace has pushed him to the brink of suicide (Image: Philip Coburn/Daily Mirror)

He wants to talk openly and honestly in a bid to encourage others going through the same ordeal to open up.

The Sunday Mirror, through its Time To Change campaign, has been battling for the past six years to smash the stigma associated with the mental ill health with which Eboue is now suffering.

At the peak of his career with Arsenal he became a fans’ favourite. He was part of the side that faced Barcelona in the 2006 Champions League final.

Arsenal lost but Eboue remains a cult-hero at the Emirates Stadium, as much for his happy demeanour and his goal celebrations as the ability which saw him help the Ivory Coast reach the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations Final.

That joy, however, has been replaced by tears – and a deep fear of the future.

Eboue, currently unable to play football because of ill-health, says he has been pushed to the brink. He has:

• Lost a bitter divorce battle, with his wife Aurelie awarded all of their assets.
  • Had to hide from cops and bailiffs after being ordered by a judge to transfer his remaining Enfield home to his wife.
  • Faced a heartbreaking estrangement from his three kids, who he has not seen since June.
  • Been grieving after the cancer death of grandfather Amadou Bertin – who raised him – and the loss of his brother N’Dri Serge, killed in a motorbike accident.

The ex-Arsenal defender has lost everything (Image: Philip Coburn/Daily Mirror)

Eboue says his wife took care of all his business dealings (Image: Philip Coburn/Daily Mirror

It is now three weeks since a deadline passed for Eboue to surrender ownership of the North London home he used to share with Aurelie.

A judge will sign the transfer if Eboue does not do so.

The player and his wife lived there in happier times before Eboue bought a mansion – which Aurelie has now put on the market.

He understands she will rent out the Enfield property.

So Eboue, his belongings in bags, now awaits the knock that will see him ordered to leave at any time.

The worried star said: “I can’t afford the money to continue to have any lawyer or barrister.

"I am in the house but I am scared. Because I don’t know what time the police will come.

“Sometimes I shut off the lights because I don’t want people to know that I am inside. I put everything behind the door.

FILES-A-picture-taken-19-December-2004.jpg

Emmanuel Eboue pictured with his wife and baby in happier times (Image: Getty)

"My own house. I suffered to buy my house but I am now scared.

“I am not going to sell my clothes or sell what I have. I will fight until the end because it is not fair.”

Eboue has taken a huge fall from the days he netted millions at Arsenal and then more than £1.5million a year at Turkish side Galatasaray.

His dream of a Premier League return with Sunderland evaporated last year, however, after he was hit with a 12-month ban by FIFA after a dispute with a former agent.

Eboue says he was never given guidance to manage his finances.

Insisting his wife looked after most of their affairs, he admits being “naive” with money.

He also claims he was beset by a string of people who gave bad advice and lost him huge sums.

With a limited education, Eboue is paying the price for being unaware of his financial situation. His handful of visits to the bank were with Aurelie.

Tottenham-Hotspur-v-Arsenal-Carling-Cup-3rd-Round.jpg

Emmanuel Eboue on the pitch for Arsenal (Image: Getty)

Eboue even recalls an occasion when bank staff visited him – to sign paperwork – at Arsenal’s training ground.

And he now wants other young African footballers to learn from his mistakes.

He says: “I look back and say ‘Emmanuel, you have been naive... why didn’t you think about that before?’ It is hard.

"Very, very hard. The money I earned, I sent it to my wife for our children.

“In Turkey I earned eight million euros. I sent seven million back home. Whatever she tells me to sign, I sign.

"She is my wife. The problems with FIFA were because of people advising me. People who are supposed to care. But it was because of them FIFA banned me.”

Having surrendered the cars among assets transferred to his wife, Eboue now has an Oyster card and relies on London transport – while doing his best to avoid being recognised.

Eboue was hit with a 12 month FIFA ban after a dispute with his former agent (Image: Philip Coburn/Daily Mirror)

He splits his time between the Enfield house and the home of a confidante he calls his “sister” – Yasmin Razak.

He often sleeps on a mattress on her living room floor.

But even watching TV – and seeing the likes of former team-mate Thierry Henry as a football pundit – triggers negative thoughts.

He adds: “When I see Thierry I feel happy for him but ashamed of my own situation.

"When I see friends on TV that I played with or against I say to myself ‘I should still be there’. It’s hard to watch them.”

Both Yasmin and another close pal, ex-Portsmouth and Newcastle striker Lomana Lua Lua, have been crucial in helping Eboue stay afloat.

Carling-Cup-Final-2011-Arsenal-v-Birmingham-City-Wembley-Stadium-270211.jpg

Eboue consoles Jack Wilshere after losing to Birmingham in the League Cup final (Image: Reuters)

Of Yasmin, he said: “I call her house The Bunker. I can hide there. She has children. I don’t want to disturb them, so I sleep on the floor.”

Eboue is devastated at spending Christmas apart from his own kids, daughters Clara, 14, and Maeva, 12, and son Mathis, nine.

He goes on: “It hurts me a lot. They used to call me. But now, no contact. It pains me to be alone without them.”

Eboue has been left without so much as a washing machine.

But he won’t be beaten, saying: “Every day I wash my jeans, my clothes, everything. My hands are hard. As though I have been working on a farm.

Arsenal-Training-Session.jpg

Eboue with Arsene Wenger in 2010 (Image: Getty Images)

“I thank my grandmother because she taught me to wash, cook, clean, everything as a young man.

“I continue to thank God. I have my life. I didn’t want what has happened. I don’t wish it on anybody.”

While Eboue wants to return to playing one day, he would jump at the chance of working with former club Arsenal or players’ union the PFA.

He says: “I would accept help from anywhere but if my previous club wants to help me then I would be very, very happy. Maybe I could help the young players?

“The PFA helped me when I had my problems with my agent. If they gave me a job, even if it wasn’t a big, big job.

“Maybe I’d see some of the people I played with or against and I’d feel embarrassed. But I would cope.”

I don’t know how divorces go down in the UK, but I do know they’re not playing. See Paul McCartney. But EVERYTHING tho?

Sheesh

Palm Beach County deputies investigating beating of Muslim girl
Her father posted the video taken by another student, writing it happened because his daughter is a Muslim.

http://www.gainesville.com/news/201...deputies-investigating-beating-of-muslim-girl

FORT LAUDERDALE — A Florida sheriff’s office said Friday that it is investigating the videotaped beating of a Muslim teenager by three other girls that was posted on Facebook.

Palm Beach County sheriff’s spokeswoman Teri Barbera said deputies are working with school officials to investigate the beating of the 14-year-old and added charges could be filed. She said Thursday’s fight may have been over a boy and not religion, but didn’t elaborate. It happened at a park near West Boca High School, which the Muslim girl attends.

Her father posted the video taken by another student, writing it happened because his daughter is a Muslim. The Associated Press is not identifying the teen or her father to protect her identity. The man did not immediately respond to a message sent on Facebook.

Omar Saleh, an attorney for the Council on American-Islamic Relations-Florida, said Friday he had a brief conversation with the girl’s mother, who said her daughter was receiving medical treatment. He didn’t know the severity of her injuries. The group is calling for the three other girls to be charged.

Barbera said the Muslim girl and one of the other teens, who attends a rival high school, had agreed to meet. The Muslim girl thought the meeting was to discuss an ongoing dispute between the two, while the other girl believed they were meeting to fight.

In the 53-second video, one teen pulls the Muslim girl by the hair and drags her to the ground. She starts hitting the Muslim girl, who curls into a fetal position and covers her head. Other teens start screaming in apparent glee and use their cellphones to videotape the fight. Two other girls join the fight, kneeling on the girl as they throw punches at her. A fourth girl briefly tries to intercede, but one girl keeps swinging.

One of the three girls then pulls the Muslim teen’s hair to flip her onto her back, the video shows. The beating continues.

The video stops, then resumes with the Muslim teen standing. One of the three girls charges and again uses the Muslim teen’s hair to pull her to the ground. She hits her several times before she is pulled off. Throughout the video, the Muslim girl is never seen throwing a punch.

Palm Beach County School Superintendent Robert Avossa said in a statement that he is “saddened by this senseless violence” and disappointed that the students who videotaped the beating didn’t come to the girl’s aid.

“As a community, we cannot ever get to a place where we are passive bystanders of such acts. We must expect more from one another and certainly, I expect more from our students,” he said.

Rick Rubin Is Still Retweeting Alt-Right Nut Jobs
AP_867349520303-1513969882-640x440.jpg

https://www.stereogum.com/1976682/rick-rubin-is-still-retweeting-alt-right-nut-jobs/news/

Rick Rubin has a relatively inactive Twitter account. Aside from that one time he retweeted a Periscope video of the reactionary right-wing Dilbert creator Scott Adams babbling about Putin, the sole tweet he’s ever made reads as follows: “Microphone check, one, two.” The music mogul only follows 160 accounts on Twitter, and among them are a smattering of alt-right personalities as well as some notable names on the left like feminist icon Gloria Steinem and Black Lives Matter activist Hawk Newsome. Rubin eventually deleted his Adams retweet, indicating that he was either deeply ashamed or didn’t mean to retweet the Periscope video in the first place.

Reader, I regret to inform you that Rick Rubin has spoiled the feed again. Today, he retweeted a live stream of a Reddit AMA with alt-right goon Mike Cernovich of Pizzagate fame. Rubin has yet to delete the retweet. Here’s a screengrab for posterity:

Image-uploaded-from-iOS-1513971780-640x1138.png

Palm Beach County deputies investigating beating of Muslim girl
Her father posted the video taken by another student, writing it happened because his daughter is a Muslim.

http://www.gainesville.com/news/201...deputies-investigating-beating-of-muslim-girl

This is the problem with our society today, especially younger folks. So many videos of these attacks, by pedestrians and not police, and everyone is standing around videotaping for the Gram and likes instead of helping as the Superintendent noted. I’ve never witnessed any fights like this but was the standing around and watching always this bad? I know there were no camera phones but still, just curious.

Prison Food Is Making U.S. Inmates Disproportionately Sick
Lapses in food safety have made U.S. prisoners six times more likely to get a foodborne illness than the general population.
lead_960.jpg

Inmates receive lunch at a state correctional facility.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...-food-sickness-america/549179/?utm_source=twb

This won’t surprise anyone: The food served in correctional institutions is generally not very good. Even though most Americans have never tasted a meal dished up in a correctional kitchen, occasional secondhand glimpses tend to reinforce a common belief that “prison food” is scant, joyless, and unsavory—if not even worse. In August, the Detroit Free Press reported that a prison kitchen worker was fired for refusing to serve rotten potatoes. You can find nightmarish stories about maggots in national outlets like U.S.A. Today. Meanwhile, The Marshall Project’s more thorough, pictorial anatomy of daily correctional fare across the country found that most offerings barely fill a cafeteria tray—let alone a hungry belly. Reports like these reinforce the sense that criminal justice has a gastronomic dimension, that unrelentingly horrid food is a standard feature of the punishment prisoners receive behind bars.

But new evidence suggests that the situation is worse than previously thought, and not just because prison food isn’t winning any James Beard awards. It’s also making inmates sick.

According to a recent study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), correctional inmates are 6.4 times more likely to suffer from a food-related illness than the general population. The report—which looked at confirmed outbreaks across the country between 1998 and 2014, and is the first update to the data in 20 years—underscores the fact that prison food is more than just a punch line, a flash point, or a gross-out gag on Orange Is the New Black. It’s a hidden public-health crisis.

The study, published in the American Journal of Public Health, found that inmates suffer from foodborne illness at a rate of 45 per 100,000 people annually, compared to only 7 per 100,000 in the general population. And 6 percent of allconfirmed outbreak-related cases of foodborne illness in the United States took place in correctional institutions—significant, considering that less than 1 percent of the country’s population is incarcerated. At the same time, “desmoteric” outbreaks—the kind that occur in correctional institutions—were the country’s largest outbreaks in four of the 17 years studied. (In six other years, correctional outbreaks ranked within the top five.) Thirty-seven states reported at least one desmoteric outbreak during the same span.

What’s to blame for the dramatic rates of foodborne illness in jails and prisons? That’s harder to say. In some ways, the CDC study is highly specific about what’s making people sick: The agency determined that Clostridium perfringens andSalmonella were the most common disease-causing agents, for instance, and that tainted poultry products were the most common single culprit. But the data leave us with more questions than answers, since these raw numbers remain mostly uninterpreted. The study doesn’t cover the more systemic factors causing outbreaks in the first place.

Mariel A. Marlow, one of the study’s coauthors, was reluctant to speculate about the underlying cultural, operational, and institutional conditions leading to high rates of illness. “Oversight and regulation of correctional institutions can vary by state and institution, so just to pull out certain factors is a little difficult,” she said. The correctional system is vast and highly variable: When it comes to food, a jail in Reno may be nothing like a federal prison outside New Orleans, and a private prison in Texas may look nothing like its counterpart one county over.

But an issue this widespread still signals the existence of underlying, systemic reasons inmates are six times more likely to be sickened by their food. As it turns out, the problems that arise in correctional food service tend to have mundane roots, even if the consequences can be dramatic. Institutions struggle to enforce basic food-safety standards: Though there are reports of corruption and negligence, the primary factor appears to be that many correctional facilities aren’t equipped to execute the food-handling protocols observed in restaurants and corporate cafeterias. And when mistakes are made, there are inconsistent processes in place to ensure improvement.

* * *​

Judging from news reports, you might think the main factor causing correctional outbreaks is the poor quality of the food itself. And certainly, a slew of well-publicized lawsuits have accused correctional facilities of buying and serving dodgy ingredients. In May, for instance, a class-action suit was filed against the Oregon Department of Corrections on behalf of current and former inmates, alleging that the state-run food service is so subpar it amounts to cruel and unusual punishment. In recent years, there have been news reports of inmates served rotten chicken tacos, rancid beef, and cake that had been nibbled on by rodents. Meanwhile, earlier this year, a Michigan judge dismissed a suit brought by an inmate who said he’d been repeatedly served moldy bread and spoiled hamburger meat. (According to U.S. District Judge Gordon Quist, the complaint was without merit: In his view, the Eighth Amendment does not entitle prisoners to “tasty or aesthetically pleasing” food, only to a diet that allows them to “maintain normal health.”)

Examples like these are unfortunately common, said Sara Totonchi of the Southern Center for Human Rights, a nonprofit that advocates on behalf of prisoners. Her organization commonly receives letters from inmates complaining about food quality, she explained by email, including being served rotten food.

But food-service providers don’t necessarily skimp on ingredients out of a malicious intention to punish prisoners. Instead, there are often systems of perverse incentives in play: The more cheaply prisoners can be fed, the more money can often be made by the people charged with their care.

Many state correctional systems outsource their kitchen operations to private food-service companies, which are usually paid a flat rate per meal to provide a full range of services—from raw ingredients to kitchen equipment and staff. (Two of the biggest players are Trinity and Aramark, which, together, serve hundreds of millions of correctional meals per year.) This arrangement can greatly simplify things for correctional operators without the bandwidth to handle meal service—but it can result in a raw deal for inmates, since companies paid by the meal can keep more money when they skimp on food.

To get a sense of why these arrangements can be problematic, look to an ongoing fracas in Michigan. After the Detroit Free Press reported in 2015 on a range of issues, from maggot-ridden potatoes to employee drug smuggling, the state prematurely terminated its $145 million contract with Aramark. The arrangement had been a “nightmare,” according to Senate Minority Leader Jim Ananich, a “completely irresponsible use of taxpayer dollars ... [that] jeopardized the health and safety of inmates and prison employees alike."

For its part, Aramark denies any wrongdoing. In an emailed statement, Karen Cutler, Aramark’s vice president of communications, wrote that Aramark hires registered dietitians to design meals that provide 2,500 to 3,000 calories a day, and suggested the company had been the target of a negative PR campaign by “opponents of outsourcing and special-interest groups.”

After Michigan hired Aramark’s main competitor, Trinity, as a replacement in 2015, the problems seem to have continued. Early this year, the state imposed a $2 million fine on Trinity, including $905,750 for “unauthorized meal substitutions,” $357,000 for delays serving meals, and $294,500 for sanitation violations. According to the Free Press, the poor quality and quantity of food served by Trinity was one factor that led to a riot that caused $900,000 in damage at a prison in Kinross, Michigan. Trinity did not respond to a request for comment.

In this case, the solution is simple: Eliminate arrangements that motivate people to underspend on food, and meals are likely to improve. But though stories about rotten potatoes can excite one’s darker curiosities, the conclusions of the CDC report point to a far more mundane culprit: Inside a correctional facility’s walls, even basic food-safety standards can fall by the wayside.

* * *​

During the 23 years he oversaw food operations at the Graham Correctional Facility in Hillsboro, Illinois, Joseph Montgomery says he never saw a major outbreak of foodborne illness from food served out of the prison kitchen. When inmates did get sick, he says, they were kitchen workers who’d smuggled inventory back to their cells.

“We have a population who will steal food from the general kitchen in various ways you probably wouldn’t want to try printing,” he says. “They will steal that product from the kitchen and take it back to their cell house. Their only way to have a refrigerator is if they put it in a container with a little bit of ice, but nine times out of 10 they don’t have ice. In the summertime, it’s going to sit on a windowsill or in a drawer so nobody sees it for two, four, six, eight hours.”

The temptation for correctional kitchen staff to take food back to their cells can be profound, especially in situations where they’re being routinely underfed. But since harmful bacteria multiply rapidly at room temperature, the resultant standing time can be enough make people sick. Montgomery says he’s seen anywhere from two to 15 people sickened in a single incident from contraband food. And, according to the CDC report, this really does pose a significant safety issue. Of the 200 outbreaks reported since 1998, the food in question was only identified 41 percent of the time. But of those 82 outbreaks, 16 incidents—almost 20 percent—involved “illicitly obtained or prepared food.”

The most dangerous culprit is one you’ve probably heard about: pruno. A prison wine that can be made by fermenting stolen cafeteria supplies—cut fruit, sugar cubes, and ketchup—pruno is the rare correctional food-safety hazard that’s cracked the popular consciousness. Tongue-in-cheek pruno recipes have been featured in Food & Wine and the Los Angeles Times, a faux ad for “Pruno Creek Gourmet Prison Wine” ran on Conan O’Brien’s show, and fans suggest it’s what Poussey was swilling on Orange Is the New Black. According to the CDC, pruno was implicated in four out of 16—25 percent—of outbreaks known to result from contraband food (that’s about 2 percent of the total outbreaks studied).

It’s easy to see why pruno poisonings have made headlines in the likes of CNN,NPR, and The Atlantic, in recent years. It’s dangerous stuff, made under abysmal food-safety conditions—illicit, ad-hoc distilleries run in secret without proper supplies or oversight, by inmates willing to take risks for a brief reprieve from the monotony of prison life—conditions that can breed botulism, a virulent bacteria capable of causing paralysis and death. Montgomery says he’s known inmates to drink a version so strong that it ate through the sole of the rubber boot it was brewed in.

But while it’s true that underground food preparation tends to be lacking from a food-safety perspective, and makes for more sensational news reports, the food preparation happening under direct supervision can be just as inadequate—and appears to be a much more significant problem.

* * *​

Correctional facilities aren’t just giant housing complexes: They tend to be understaffed, oversubscribed cafeterias, ones that can be responsible for feeding thousands of people three meals a day. Food service on that scale can be a challenge even for experienced teams of culinary professionals, but sources say correctional kitchens are often forced to get by with undertrained staff, shoddy equipment, and poor oversight.

Many state prisons choose to save money by using inmate labor in the kitchen, an arrangement with potential benefits. According to John Cornyn, a food-service consultant who’s spent a portion of his 40-year career working on correctional projects in institutions from California to New York, inmates tend to like the role. “One, you’re filling up your day with work, and two, the likelihood is that you’re going to eat well,” he says. The trouble is that most inmates don’t actually have experience working in kitchens, and some lack even the most basic commercial food-handling and safety-training skills.

Ernest Rich says he served 19 years of a 24-year drug-related sentence in the California state correctional system, and most of the time he worked in food.

“I can tell you one thing ... Nobody has food-safety training,” he says. “You’ve got people coming in there all the time who know nothing about cooking. They’re learning as they go. They don’t know nothing about what you should do, what you should not do.”

In Rich’s experience, that lack of training means mistakes are common. “They don’t label things. They don’t rotate the stock the way it’s supposed to be. Those kitchens aren’t ran like ordinary kitchens should be ran,” he says.

That, according to Rich, means people get sick “a lot.”

“You may hear about people, 15 or 20 people get sick on one yard,” he says. “That’s stuff that you hear about all the time.”

According to the CDC report, outbreaks are most commonly caused by the kinds of unwitting, everyday infractions Rich describes. “Contributing factors”—additional conditions that enabled or amplified a food-safety hazard—were only identified in 38 percent of cases. But in those cases, the ones we know about, two of the most common food-safety-hazard-related outbreaks were easily preventable: 26 percent involved food handled by an infected person, while 24 percent involved “inadequate cleaning of processing or preparation equipment or utensils.”

Mistakes are made even more frequently in the absence of proper oversight, a scenario that seems to be all too common. In Illinois, Montgomery remembers there being 40 inmates on duty during the day shift, with three supervisors, at least one of whom, by law, was required to have professional food-safety training. That’s a ratio of about 13 inmates for every supervisor inside a 1,500-square-foot kitchen—about as good as it gets, he says. But both Montgomery and Cornyn said the ratio is more commonly 15, even 20 inmates per supervisor. That’s not ideal, especially because food safety is not always top of mind for overburdened supervisors.

“Security is your number-one priority, even in the kitchen. Food comes in second,” Montgomery says. “That’s what makes a food supervisor in corrections a really hard job. They have to be security-minded 100 percent of the time andput out a safe, quality product.”

The most dangerous culprit may also be the most mundane. According to the CDC report, 37 percent of outbreaks with a known contributing factor began simply because food was left out at room temperature for longer than is safe—the most common cause identified.

“I’ve seen [inmates] leave food out too long,” Montgomery said. “Kitchens are warm and they leave food on the counter as they’re prepping it.”

To an extent, this issue could be addressed through better training. But more systemic factors contribute, too. Most jails and prisons simply weren’t built to accommodate efficient food service, and Cornyn says that even in newly constructed facilities, the kitchens are designed almost as an afterthought—“the cheapest way possible.” That can be a huge mistake, he says, because prison kitchens typically need to be even larger than their commercial counterparts. In situations where “sharps”—knives attached to wire cables—are in use, inmate workers must be placed many feet apart. And many facilities don’t take advantage of space- and labor-saving machinery that speed up prep times in civilian restaurants—the whole point is to provide opportunities for manual labor. All these make larger kitchens necessary, and in cramped confines the work takes much longer than it should—setting the stage for potential food-safety hazards.

But the trouble continues once the food leaves the kitchen for the mess hall. For security and logistical reasons, many facilities can’t feed their entire populations all at once—they feed prisoners in waves instead, so that the dining hall is never overfull. This takes time, and often means food is left out, shift after shift.

“We don’t have the luxury in corrections to make partial batches a lot of the time. Most of the time you have to make the entire thing all at once,” Montgomery says. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, meat can only sit out for two hours above 40 degrees Fahrenheit before safety becomes an issue.

Rabbi Aryeh Blaut routinely witnessed warm food left out at a federal prison in Massachusetts, where he spent time as an inmate 14 years ago. (Today, Blaut is the executive director of Jewish Prisoner Services, a nonprofit advocating for incarcerated individuals with kosher diet needs.)

“There might be two or three food shifts, but they’re not necessarily bringing in fresh food for each shift,” he said. “Through that time, the hot food isn’t being kept hot, and the cold food isn’t being kept cold.”

In overpopulated prisons, meal service can take so long that facilities are sending out food throughout the day. “I’ve been in situations where the meal finally is served, they clean up, and they start setting up for the next meal. It takes that long to get the food out,” Cornyn says. “That’s not ideal.”

The dire combination of untrained workers and space limitations make the already-daunting task of correctional food service all the more challenging. And though simple improvements could do so much to keep inmates from getting sick, the reality is that—unlike at public eateries—no one is watching to make sure the situation improves.

* * *​

A strict, uncompromising inspection system seems like an obvious solution to the prison system’s outbreak woes. Regular inspections work well, for the most part, in restaurants and school cafeterias, after all. Why shouldn’t that translate into the correctional setting?

Turns out, pretty much everything is different in a prison kitchen.

To start, state, local, and federal prisons across the country don’t follow the same rulebook. Federal prisons follow the Bureau of Prisons’ Food Service Manual (FSM), which is similar to the FDA’s Food Code (FFC)—the rule book used in restaurants. But the CDC points out a couple of key differences in its report. For instance, the manual lacks the FFC’s clear language about when a kitchen worker can start working after being sick. It also doesn’t explicitly say that federal food-service employees have to receive food-safety training.

Meanwhile, state and local facilities (which house about 10 times the number of inmates as federal facilities) can create their own guidelines. Sometimes that means adhering to the FDA’s Food Code, and sometimes that means using the Bureau of Prisons’ manual. But there’s no universal rule for food safety in state and local facilities. In Michigan, the problems under Aramark’s tenure prompted the state’s congress to introduce bills that would classify prison cafeterias as “food establishments,” meaning they’d have to act like restaurants and follow the FDA Food Code, requiring a food-safety manager to be present at all times. But those bills never passed the legislature. “Each state is different,” Montgomery explains.

The inspection process is just as uneven. No uniform, nationwide rules govern how and when federal, state, and local prison kitchens are inspected. The process varies based on state and local jurisdiction—Montgomery explains that state facilities get inspected by state inspectors, but county jails get inspected by the county health inspector. These inconsistencies can make it easy for violations to slip through the cracks. In federal facilities, meanwhile, enforcement is left to the discretion of the institution’s Food Safety Administrator, who is given broad latitude. Weekly inspections are required but, according to the FSM, “procedures and reports for formal inspections ... are developed locally.”

Even when an inspector does find fault in the kitchen, penalties can be mild or nonexistent. Think of it this way: A state-run agency isn’t likely to slap a hefty fine on another state-run agency, nor can inmates choose to take their business to an A-graded cafeteria over a B-graded mess hall. Even when private contractors are in charge (and can therefore be fined), penalizing slipshod safety practices is tricky—no matter what happens during an inspection, inmates have to be fed two or three times every day. Inspectors don’t usually have the last-ditch option of shutting down a prison cafeteria altogether.

Contracting with a third-party food-service provider can add another layer of complexity, as it’s not always clear who’s responsible for making sure the rules get followed. In Ohio, for example, Aramark and the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction disagreed over “shared responsibility” for kitchen cleanliness. In a study that interviewed correctional officers about Aramark’s tenure in Michigan, those same shared responsibilities were said to have caused tensions between correctional-facility officers and Aramark employees, who argued about whose job it was to purchase cleaning supplies. Problems can result from this unclear chain of command; according to the study’s author, “there was universal agreement across the focus groups that the kitchen areas became less sanitary with privatization.” As one officer quoted in the study put it: “Cleanliness is horrible. I don’t know how it passes any kind of inspection.” The trouble is that it can be unclear whose job it is to clean up the mess.

* * *​

While systemic disadvantages continue to compromise safety, existing regulations have failed to address common problems. Ultimately, then, the solution may fall to inmates themselves. Which is probably why, if the CDC report has one overarching recommendation, it’s that correctional facilities work harder to educate inmates on food safety. Even though high kitchen-staff turnover and low food-service budgets hinder progress, intensive food-safety training is one factor institutions can control.

It’s a rare win-win: Programs that work to provide inmates with food-safety certification can help reduce incidences of foodborne illness and provide formerly incarcerated individuals with a career path once they return to civilian life.

Ernest Rich says when he was incarcerated, he started working for Cal Fire (part of the state’s Department of Forestry and Fire Protection) in a program where inmates set up outdoor mobile kitchens to serve firefighters as they battle blazes. Maybe it was because the meals weren’t served inside a prison’s walls, but Rich noticed that food safety was taken much more seriously.

“They have a health inspector come by there and make sure that the food is being served and make sure everybody’s wearing gloves. They’re going to make sure that all this is going on. They don’t do that inside a prison,” he says.

At Cal Fire, Rich picked up the knowledge that would ultimately land him a job in food service when he returned to civilian life. He says he got involved with a reentry organization called HealthRIGHT and eventually started working at L.A. Kitchen, a nonprofit dedicated to job training. “You take the food-handling test and you get your certification. You go from there and they give you a job and et cetera. It’s a great, great program,” he says.

There’s been a small movement to bring these kinds of workforce training programs inside prison walls. Montgomery teaches a class in Illinois prisons where students can earn a State of Illinois food-handler certification, which offers a competitive advantage when they walk into an interview. And there’s plenty of opportunity. Every single restaurant in the state is required to have at least one person on site at all times with the permit his class provides.

Private contractors offer food-safety education opportunities as well. Aramark’s In2Work program, a curriculum based on the National Restaurant Association’s ServSafe program, is a selling point when it bids for new contracts. The program currently operates in more than 75 facilities across the country.

Rich says that these types of initiatives, if implemented nationally, would benefit inmates during their sentences and after release. “If they tried to train you, they trained people properly, they could use these skills. But the way they’re training people now in culinary, it’s not going to do you no good when you get out of here,” he says. “They’re not training you in these prisons how to become a culinary cook. They’re just using a body to serve the food.”

That’s a missed opportunity, according to Cornyn. “I think any prison food-service operator will tell you that they’ve come across some really great inmate workers,” he says. “They just either have prior restaurant experience before they were incarcerated, or they simply found that they like that kind of work, and they do an outstanding job.”

Released in February 2017, Rich now has a full-time job with benefits in a high-rise cafeteria in California, a job he got as the result of the culinary training program at L.A. Kitchen—a program similar to the training the CDC report recommends for all inmates. Unlike so many formerly incarcerated people, who face huge uncertainty upon release, Rich has managed to answer some longer-term questions about his future.

“That’s how I think of it,” he says. “It’s a career for me.”

Cultural Marxism: The Ultimate Post-Factual Dog Whistle
The good news is that "cultural Marxism" isn't real. The bad news is that people believe it is anyway.
1510467159514.jpg

Mark Latham, a believer in "Cultural Marxism". Photo: AAP

http://www.theage.com.au/world/cult...-postfactual-dog-whistle-20171101-gzd7lq.html

The claim that left-wing intellectuals are trying to destroy the foundations of Western society is gaining traction in Australia. And the worse news is this: even if the idea is factually untrue, it can still have an impact on politics. "Cultural Marxism" is a viral falsehood used by far-right figures, conspiracy theorists, and pundits to explain many ills of the modern world.

1510272051482.jpg

A still image from a YouTube video that falsely claims that concepts such as social justice and feminism, among others, are "cultural Marxism." Photo: Youtube/EuropeanUnity565

A search of archives shows right wing columnist Andrew Bolt first mentioned it in his writing in 2002.

More recently, former Labor opposition leader Mark Latham in a column, claimed that it was a "powerful" movement "dominating" about 80 per cent of public life.

University of Melbourne international relations lecturer Daniel R McCarthy says Latham and others "are using the term rhetorically to paint opponents of their political positions in a bad light".

"They label movements for LGBT rights as 'Marxist' in the hopes that this will frighten people into voting against things like gay marriage," McCarthy says.

1510272051482.jpg

A still from a video on Cultural Marxism and the Australian Labor Party. Photo: Supplied

"This is a clever rhetorical strategy, if dishonest or, charitably, simply deeply confused."

McCarthy makes a firm distinction between Marxist theorists originating in the 20th century and today's concept of "cultural Marxism".

1510272051482.jpg

An alt-right meme referencing 'cultural Marxism', a debunked concept that flourishes online. The wording co-opts fears about demographic change in the world today. Photo: Supplied

"There are Marxists or critical social theorists who study culture," McCarthy says. "What Latham and colleagues are talking about is entirely different."

"Their arguments, which verge onto the terrain of conspiracy theorising, understand social movements that they do not like as part of a 'cultural Marxist' political strategy to first colonise the terrain of public culture prior to taking over society as a whole," he says.

A 2003 article from the US-based Southern Poverty Law Centre described cultural Marxism as a "conspiracy theory with an anti-Semitic twist" that was then "being pushed by much of the American right".

"In a nutshell, the theory posits that a tiny group of Jewish philosophers who fled Germany in the 1930s and set up shop at Columbia University in New York City devised an unorthodox form of 'Marxism' that took aim at American society's culture, rather than its economic system," the report states.

Unfortunately, Google trends indicate a steadily rising interest in the term in Australia.

(Latham was emailed for comment on this article but did not reply.)

0911culturalMarxism2729px.png

Arizona State University professor Braden Allenby says the word '"Marxism' in many places is already a loaded term, so the use of 'cultural Marxism' sometimes is an effort to short circuit analysis or dialogue by implying that the individual or organisation so tagged is beyond the pale of rational discourse."

"In that sense, it becomes part of warring narratives, a dog whistle to others in your community."

With the original meaning of "cultural Marxism" lost, Allenby says, such terms "simply become higher level symbols of belonging and community".

Allenby pioneered the study of what's known as a weaponised narrative, a form of information attack using ideas, words and images to drive wedges into society, weakening it overall.

He believes the use of the term "cultural Marxism" indicates "that the dynamics of weaponised narrative might be at play."

Weaponised narratives, warring narratives, and conspiracy theories pose threats to a cohesive democratic society.

Among the alt-right, for example, partisan groups used weaponised narratives during the 2016 US election that led to confusion and added to negative noise around legitimate candidate. The widely debunked Pizzagate conspiracy theory promoted by trolls in the US is another example.

In 2015, anti-European Union trolls used the same techniques to influence the public's perception of the European immigration crisis.

Weaponised narratives and conspiracy theories are effective, Allenby says, because "there is no such thing as a news cycle anymore".

And that gives them considerable power online.

If "subgroups" can be identified, pundits using those narratives can create "news cycles for them that never rise out of that community, so they're never responded to," Allenby says.

"You can't generate responses to disinformation if you don't know the disinformation is out there, and if it's properly managed, it stays within the ring-fenced community it is intended for ... and thus is never responded to in the broader sense," says Allenby.

"It isn't that the wider community couldn't respond; it's that they never find out about it in the first place," he said.

Like a conspiracy theory, cultural Marxism gains its power from its ability to be applied broadly to many aspects of modern life. The willingness of swaths of the public to accept such views also reflects unease over real-world issues like economic uncertainty, fears of terrorism, and anxiety with demographic change.

The nature of information and views shared on social media means even things that never happened can become a political issue if enough people agree they exist.

It's hard to see this as good news.

"Tactics Of White Supremacy"
Heading into the New Year, its time for us to REALLY gain an understanding as to what White Supremacy is.

WS is not 1 singular thing or a group of shady white men in a room somewhere. When people say "attacking white supremacy", they are not talking about 1 single tangible thing.

First off we have to think about White Supremacy like a pie chart

n2U4xqh.png

White supremacy is made up of many different tactics which affects not only the black physical being but also the mind and spirit.

To gain a better understanding of White Supremacy, you have to look backwards to the past. We all have heard the Harriet Tubman quote by now: "I freed 1000 slaves, I could've freed 1000 more if only they knew they were slaves". This mindset that some slaves had to not want to fight for their freedom was a direct result of mental conditioning:

6uEyWOa.jpg

Physicological Warfare is perhaps the most effective wing of White Supremacy. You gain control of the mind then you have little to worry about as far as uprisings. This is exactly why slaves could be punished by death if they were caught with books. Education is the #1 enemy of White Supremacy. A slave is only a slave because shackles have been placed on his or her MIND.

Fast forward today and many of us are still mentally shackled. The more and more I view the world, the more I realize this. We talk "White Supremacy" this, "White Supremacy" that, but the raw truth is that most of us have no idea what White Supremacy really is. Its a mere buzz word for most of you. Most of you have no idea that it's an all-encompassing and creative system that permeates itself into everything we can imagine including the things we take in as entertainment.

There are black people still labeling others as "conspiracy theorists" for merely pointing certain tactics out. There are black people who still find certain things far-fetched as far as the extent and creativity of White Supremacy is concerned. There are black people still ignorant about certain tactics of White Supremacy because they personally feel that its beyond the realm of possibility to be real.

Well this is an opportunity to come together and educate ourselves on all of the tactics used throughout history to intentionally impede the progress of blacks. No matter how far-fetched it may sound, come talk about it. No matter how "tin-foil hat" it sounds, talk about it.

Lets talk about scientific experiments that has been done on blacks(Tuskegee for example). Lets talk about specific laws that have been put in place aimed at blacks. Lets talk about how blacks have been discriminated against as far as loans and the effects its had on us. Lets talk about how our thriving communities has been destroyed throughout history. (We all know about Black Wall Street, lets mention others).
Lets talk about how even our food and water has been tampered with. Lets talk about how the Prison Industrial Complex is slavery reincarnated. Lets talk about the 13th Amendment. Lets recommend books and other study material for each other. Lets talk about what they are using to attack us mentally and spiritually. Lets talk about the effects slavery itself has had on the society we live in today.

We will never rise above White Supremacy if we don't even know what it is. We MUST know and be aware of what's attacking us first, before we can fight it.

Hopefully we can all take a break from the ******, set our differences aside and come in here and contribute and build with each other. This is all about educating ourselves and each other. Again, no matter how far-fetched something may seem, put it in here. White supremacy is an extremely creative and all-encompassing system, so when you call somebody a "conspiracy theorist", that's exactly what they want.

Couple offer $150K salary to cook, clean and run errands
BBGZLIS.img

https://www.msn.com/g00/en-us/money...W4tZXJyYW5kcy1mb3ItdGhlbS41OTg1OTkv&i10c.ua=1

You don't have to be rich to live among the wealthy.

One family in New York City is hiring a live-in "domestic couple" to oversee cooking, cleaning, childcare, and construction at their second home, a 30,000-square-foot townhouse.

The "prominent Upper East Side couple" is looking for a team of two workers to act as "gatekeepers to the principals ensuring all aspects of the home are adequately operating at all times," according to the listing.

The listing was provided to Business Insider by David Youdovin, the founder and CEO of Hire Society, a recruitment firm that helps high-net-worth individuals and families in New York City, the Hamptons, and Palm Beach staff their homes and businesses.

"The vast majority of our clients are the .01% — they have multiple homes, private aircraft and several members of domestic staff," said Youdovin, who worked as a butler and estate manager for billionaires before founding Hire Society in 2012.

The full-time job pays between $100,000 and $150,000 a year, depending on the applicants' level of experience, and offers perks like private living quarters within the home, and medical, dental, and vision insurance, plus an allowance for food and expenses.

It's not unusual for rich families to shell out millions of dollars a year to employ butlers, chefs, chauffeurs, housekeepers, and nannies. But a domestic couple tends directly to the "Mr." and "Mrs." and typically manages other household staff.

Check out the full job description below:

Prominent Upper East Side couple seeks an experienced, highly organized, and thorough domestic couple to oversee, manage, and maintain their 30,000 square-foot townhouse. This position is live-in, full-time, with a five days on, two days off work schedule. Candidates must be flexible with scheduling. Days worked may change weekly as this is the principal's secondary residence and additional days/hours may be needed.

The couple will act as gatekeepers to the residence ensuring all aspects of the home are operational. The role entails: housekeeping, laundry, cooking, serving, management of vendors/contractors, and overseeing construction.

The ideal candidates must have experience cooking healthy formal meals as well as extensive silver service experience. The candidates must be comfortable attending to Mr. and Mrs., as well as their extended family as needed. The couple will be hands-on in residence, understanding when to be present and when to work behind the scenes. Accommodations will be provided in the form of a separate private room and bath within the residence.

Responsibilities include but are not limited to:

• Managing and providing full-time care of the family's residence
  • Museum-quality cleaning throughout the home with attention to bedrooms, special surfaces and bathrooms, etc.
  • Full laundry duties including washing, ironing, steaming, closet organization, managing a list of garments that have been sent out for professional service, etc.
  • Packing and unpacking clothes for travel
  • Preparing fresh and healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner adhering to all dietary restrictions and requests
  • Formal service and meal preparation upon request for luncheons, dinner parties, etc. including table set-up, floral arrangements, bartending, wine pouring and pairing, and guest greeting & socialization
  • Personal shopping, running errands, stock procurement, and special requests
  • Heavy organization throughout the home including pantries, kitchen, closets, etc.
  • Ability to work in tandem and oversee: vendors, contractors, and additional domestic staff
  • Knowledge and ability to operate smart home systems: Lutron, Crestron, Kaleidescape
  • Driving the principals as requested to and from appointments, errands, meetings, etc.
  • Any and all other duties or requests related to the needs of the principals and household

Men Charged With Murdering Black Man Because He 'Socialized With a White Woman'
Timothy%20Coggins%20murder_1514680007352.jpg_4754070_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Timothy Coggins murder suspects Frankie Gebhart and Bill Moore Sr.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/men-char...-man-because-he-socialized-with-a-white-woman

ZEBULON, Ga. (AP) -- When a young black man was found slain outside Griffin, Georgia, in 1983, his family was too traumatized to put a headstone on his grave.

Not knowing who killed Timothy Wayne Coggins or if the killer might come back to vandalize a well-marked burial site, they held a hurried, fearful funeral and left it unadorned, his niece Heather Coggins said.

Now, 34 years later, after two white men have been charged in the racially-tinged cold-case, Timothy Coggins' grave has finally been marked with his name.

The Coggins family unveiled the new headstone Saturday at their home church in Zebulon, Georgia, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) south of Atlanta.

"This has been a very dark cloud on our family. But today we can see the sun will shine again," said Tyrone Coggins, a brother of the slain man, during a rousing, 90-minute memorial service at Fuller's Chapel United Methodist Church.

Timothy Coggins' body was found by hunters in a field not far from a highway in the Sunny Side community a few miles north of Griffin.

The killing remained unsolved until last October when authorities announced the arrests of Frankie Gebhardt, 59, and Bill Moore Sr., 58. Arrest warrants accuse them of stabbing and slicing Coggins to death and giving him "seriously disfiguring" wounds. At a hearing in November, a prosecutor said Coggins was also dragged through the woods behind a pickup truck. Griffin Judicial Circuit District Attorney Ben Coker said the 23-year-old Coggins was killed because he had been "socializing with a white female."

Heather Coggins has said the family long suspected that his death was somehow linked to racism. She said they were too afraid to mark her uncle's grave at the time he was killed, and as time went by it was just left unmarked. But after suspects were charged in his slaying, she said relatives chipped in to buy the headstone.

The little country church was filled with members of the large, extended family, many of them wearing T-shirts adorned with Timothy Coggins' photo and the words "At Last ... Resting in Peace." Many also wore purple ribbons -- their slain relative's favorite color.

Many of those who knew Coggins have passed away -- and the dozens of cousins, nieces and nephews who packed the church were mostly too young to have known Coggins. But they all grew up hearing stories about his death, said Jennifer Stevenson, 35, who was still a baby when her cousin was killed.

"As his legacy, we feel as though we were robbed," she said. They never got to meet the man who was known for his charming smile and smooth dance moves. And Coggins himself never got to marry, settle down, have a career and know the generation that came after him.

"Our family is amazing, and we are confident he would have been proud of us," Stevenson said during the service, which featured gospel music from a family choir and interpretive dance by some of the children.

Several speakers told how Timothy Coggins was known for faithfully walking his younger relatives home at night.

"He always wanted to make sure everyone got home safely," said Tyrone Coggins. "This is confirmation to the family that 34 years later, Tim made it home."

Israel: African Migrants Told to Leave or Face Imprisonment

_99439334_israelmigrants.jpg

The migrants claim they are seeking asylum from persecution, although Israel views them as economic migrants

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42541515

The Israeli government has issued a notice for thousands of African migrants to leave the country or face imprisonment.

The migrants will be given up to $3,500 (£2,600) for leaving within the next 90 days.

They will be given the option of going to their home country or third countries.

If they do not leave, the Israeli authorities have threatened that they will start jailing them from April.

The UN refugee agency said the controversial plan violated international and Israeli laws.

The Israeli government says their return will be humane and "voluntary".

The order exempts children, elderly people, and victims of slavery and human trafficking.

_99435702_israelafrica.jpg

People from Eritrea and Sudan make up a significant number of migrants in Israel

A spokesperson for Israel's Population and Immigration Authority told the BBC there were currently 38,000 "infiltrators" in Israel, of whom just 1,420 were being held in detention facilities.

Israel uses the term "infiltrators" to describe people who did not enter the country through an official border crossing.

Many of the migrants - who are mostly from Eritrea and Sudan - say they came to Israel to seek asylum after fleeing persecution and conflict, but the authorities regard them as economic migrants.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has claimed that an unchecked influx of African migrants could threaten Israel's Jewish character.

A note on terminology: The BBC uses the term migrant to refer to all people on the move who have yet to complete the legal process of claiming asylum. This group includes people fleeing war-torn countries such as Syria, who are likely to be granted refugee status, as well as people who are seeking jobs and better lives, who governments are likely to rule are economic migrants.

Back
Top Bottom