Wrestling Thread Jan/Feb | 2/29 RAW - The Undertaker Returns to Respond to The McMahons

Vince needs to stop forcing himself into the show too. Is it that hard for him to realize he gets 0 reaction from the crowd when he's out there talking? He'll drop some overused or corny heelish line and wait for boos and it's just crickets.

Last edited:
I use to listen to mobb deep/ mafioso nas/ wu tang with my brothers in the crib at that age and your boys mom got upset over Billy guns theme??? Culture differences
[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Vince is totally out of touch :lol: it's embarrassing

Upset over Billy Gunn's theme :rofl:

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more..ECW was the one who really started in with breaking kayfabe, which in turn had fans dying to know to find out "real" information..Once gimmicks weren't a thing to be protected anymore it all started going downhill..Insider magazines on newsstands, dirt sheets, shoot hotlines, and the beginning of the internet changed everything for the worse..Fans weren't stupid back in the day, but we had a much easier time suspending disbelief than the average fan of today..

That's why I think the WWE really needs to start making the belts seem more important in today's wrestling world..It'll help get fans back into "wrestling mode" instead of entertainment mode..Plus Vince needs to quit denying what he and his company are..And that's a wrestling promoter and a wrestling company..
I agree with a lot of these sentiments. I'm burning myself on both sides of the candle when it comes to how I watch professional wrestling these days. It definitely helps with the "illusion" when people like Lesnar & Taker try to be as non-transparent as possible to protect their characters, but I'll catch myself reading Meltzer. It was definitely a weird time when Joey Styles would openly s*** on WCW/WWF during calls, but it was definitely interesting as well. 

@af1 1982

Wild thing is WWE already uses Power Rankings on their Website: Power Rankings: January 22, 2016 | WWE.com http://www.wwe.com/inside/power-rankings/power-rankings-january-22-2016

I think they can separate it.

Singles

Women

Tag-Teams

Or

Do it be Title Contention

Rankings is a simple, easy way to give meaning to matches that might not have meaning otherwise. What are we fighting for? Sometimes there isn't a storyline and that makes a match flat and meaningless. Rankings can give the wrestlers SOME reason to fight.

Also, something that NOAH does that I have always loved, at the bottom right hand corner of the screen they have a "Last 5/10 Times these people have Wrestled and the result"

For example: Ambrose and Owens are fighting and at the bottom of the screen it can say

11/6/15: Ambrose via Pin

11/26/15: Ambrose via DQ

11/30/15: No contest

Again, stop insulting my intelligence as a fan. I know these fools have fought recently, make light of it.

Or better yet, show a person's last 5 fights. Use winning streaks, losing streaks.

Stats are good man. But that is too much common sense 

Last edited:
That's such excess, would it be the last 5 televised bouts or would you include house shows as well? Stats and rankings would be useless in this current 50/50 model. What would be the point if everybody is still trading wins every few days?

They need to stop giving away solid evenly matched bouts away on free television. They need to designate a few guys as just enhancement talent. Kind like when we see Dolph Ziggler, we know the other guy is going over. These roles need to be defined more.

That's such excess, would it be the last 5 televised bouts or would you include house shows as well? Stats and rankings would be useless in this current 50/50 model. What would be the point if everybody is still trading wins every few days?

They need to stop giving away solid evenly matched bouts away on free television. They need to designate a few guys as just enhancement talent. Kind like when we see Dolph Ziggler, we know the other guy is going over. These roles need to be defined more.
roll.gif

You are right, if they will continue using the 50/50 model, it would be pointless.

RE: House Shows

You could include them but then again, house shows don't exist to them, so we don't have to include them.

All of this would work on NXT. I am going to either call them or write them a letter man. I am sure they would listen to their fans. I am sick of being disappointed so much by this company man.

@af1 1982

Wild thing is WWE already uses Power Rankings on their Website: Power Rankings: January 22, 2016 | WWE.com http://www.wwe.com/inside/power-rankings/power-rankings-january-22-2016

I think they can separate it.
Singles
Women
Tag-Teams

Or

Do it be Title Contention

Rankings is a simple, easy way to give meaning to matches that might not have meaning otherwise. What are we fighting for? Sometimes there isn't a storyline and that makes a match flat and meaningless. Rankings can give the wrestlers SOME reason to fight.

Also, something that NOAH does that I have always loved, at the bottom right hand corner of the screen they have a "Last 5/10 Times these people have Wrestled and the result"

For example: Ambrose and Owens are fighting and at the bottom of the screen it can say
11/6/15: Ambrose via Pin
11/26/15: Ambrose via DQ
11/30/15: No contest

Again, stop insulting my intelligence as a fan. I know these fools have fought recently, make light of it.

Or better yet, show a person's last 5 fights. Use winning streaks, losing streaks.

Stats are good man. But that is too much common sense 

View media item 1885254

Totally agree..Have rankings for each division/title..Mention them a couple times per Raw..So that way when you have 2 guys wrestle and there's no concrete storyline you can always fall back on X wrestler is ranked #8 and going against Y wrestler who is ranked #4..Wrestler X is fighting to advance his spot in the rankings and wrestler Y is looking to protect his spot and build on his momentum..It's blatantly easy and give each and every single person on your roster a purpose to even be in the building each night..

And they need to have a Tale of the Tape for each match..Have JBL (since he's a former wrestler) do a brief advantages/disadvantages for each wrestler before the match..It's such a simple way to help build up every match on tv..Better yet, move Ranallo to Raw and get rid of Gumble and Cole..Let Mauro comment on the wrestlers history with each other and their strengths and weaknesses..Boom!, instant credibility for each wrestler and each match..

Reading the convo between ya bout whether fans know who Aj or Shinsuke are. I knew Aj because of TNA, but never watch any of his matches until WK9. I've seen Shinsuke name going around this thread for the longest and finally saw his first match on WK9.

Attitude Era did more harm to the business than any other era of wrestling. So if you want to say that is the reason it is the most influential, then sure

More harm? If it wasn't for AE you'll see NWO still running the business and Hogan reigning as the 15yr WCW Champion. Just stop, your not a fan, but lets be real.

More harm? If it wasn't for AE you'll see NWO still running the business and Hogan reigning as the 15yr WCW Champion. Just stop, your not a fan, but lets be real.
First of all, let us be able to have a conversation as adults. Don't tell me I am not a fan because my opinion differs from yours. If I spend hours of doing something each week, don't tell me I am not a fan.

The Attitude Era is like a chasing that first high. What happened during those days is still being practiced today. The Star vs. Star (give matches away for free) model is still being used, even though there is no need to. The 15 minute opening mono/dia-logues are still happening today, when there is no need. That era created bad habits because of the "instant" success that era produced at that time. 

Sure, some might have found that stuff entertaining, but I think it compromised a lot of the in-ring work. Sure, it gave way to the NWO but I would say the same about them. Storyline wise, it was brilliant, but it compromised the most important thing in the sport. The actual physical confrontation.

Those days focused way too much on clown stuff.

First of all, let us be able to have a conversation as adults. Don't tell me I am not a fan because my opinion differs from yours. If I spend hours of doing something each week, don't tell me I am not a fan.

The Attitude Era is like a chasing that first high. What happened during those days is still being practiced today. The Star vs. Star (give matches away for free) model is still being used, even though there is no need to. The 15 minute opening mono/dia-logues are still happening today, when there is no need. That era created bad habits because of the "instant" success that era produced at that time. 

Sure, some might have found that stuff entertaining, but I think it compromised a lot of the in-ring work. Sure, it gave way to the NWO but I would say the same about them. Storyline wise, it was brilliant, but it compromised the most important thing in the sport. The actual physical confrontation.

Those days focused way too much on clown stuff.

It was solid entertainment, and set the bar too far IMO. They try to recreate it ofr a reason.

It was solid entertainment, and set the bar too far IMO. They try to recreate it ofr a reason.
Right, they are trying to recreate it for the reason that it was the biggest financial and most popular era in the last 25 years.

But that doesn't mean it was what was best for the business LONG TERM. That is my argument.

What are the problems with them trying to implement those practices today

1. PG-Era: No matter what they do, Linda is going to be lurking in the political ranks, so the company's "raunch" has to die down. So they couldn't do those wild things even if they wanted to.

2. There is no competition: WCW punishing them in the ratings is what put that spark in WWE's approach. No need for 3 hours. No need for Star vs Star in EVERY match. No need for long drawn out promos IN the ring, a ring should only be used for a fight. 

So them chasing what they did back then is the MAIN reason why I said that time period has hurt the business long term

Pretty much, and they've been trying to recreate every single year since then. They've been trying to unnaturally recreate a lot of things though, like Daniel Bryan's rise with Roman Reign. That's like trying to run the Warriors offense, yet instead of Curry and Draymond leading it, you have Jordan Clarkson and Brandon Bass. Same thing with Trish.

Last edited:
I can compare it to Mark Jackson's comments about Steph Curry. When he said Steph is hurting the game. Sure, Steph has everyone going crazy right now. 

"He is Solid Entertainment"

But what will his style of play create in the next generation. Younger kids will look at what he does and think they can do it. But will they put in the work that Steph put in? I doubt it. All they see is the dribbling moves and 35 footers. So they go out and try to replicate THAT. Nah man. That isn't cool.

Just because something is great for a time period doesn't mean it ISN'T hurting the product long term

Back
Top Bottom