Wrestling Thread Apr 29 - May 12 | 5/11 All Time Great Kenta Kobashi's Final Match

Davey Richards said he would never sign with the WWE ........ Hmmmmmmm

Last edited:
It was pretty obvious after Monday, but it's now official.  Mark Henry v Sheamus at Extreme Rules will be a strap match.

Raw on 5/6 did its worst ratings so far this year, doing a 2.89 rating and 3.92 million viewers.

The major reason for the downturn was going head-to-head with strong NBA playoff games on TNT. The Chicago Bulls vs. Miami Heat, featuring the league’s best drawing team and biggest drawing star, LeBron James, went against the first two hours of Raw. That game did a 4.15 rating and 5.54 million viewers. They kept the audience late night for the Golden State Warriors vs. San Antonio Spurs game which did 4.14 rating and 5.46 million viewers. Raw was third for the night on cable.

The show did a 1.8 in Male teenagers (down 22% from last week), a 2.3 in Males 18-49 (down 12%), 0.8 in Girl teens (up 60%) and 0.9 in Women 18-34 (down 25%). The audience was 69.6% male.

There was interest in the show at the start, and it faded.
  • The first segment, with John Cena and Ryback setting up the stipulations for their Extreme Rules match, did a 3.29 first quarter.
  • Randy Orton vs. Damien Sandow lost 725,000 viewers, including 19% of all Males 18-49 tuning out during the match.
  • The Chris Jericho interview gained 124,000 viewers.
  • Fandango vs. R-Truth lost 146,000 viewers, down to a 2.74 quarter.
  • Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio at 9 p.m. gained 228,000 viewers to a to a 2.91.
  • The Shield vs. Uso Brothers & Kofi Kingston lost 206,000 viewers.
  • Antonio Cesaro vs. Zack Ryder gained 26,000 viewers.
  • The star segment of the show was Brock Lesnar destroying HHH’s office in Stamford, CT, and then a Paul Heyman/HHH verbal battle, which gained 899,000 viewers at 10 p.m. and the rating was boosted to a 3.44. The boost was almost entirely male, as male teens grew 35% during the segment and Males 18-49 drew 38%.
  • Kaitlyn & Cameron & Naomi vs. Bella Twins & A.J. Lee lost 921,000 viewers, with drops of 17% among teenage boys and 21% in Males 18-49.
  • Mark Henry/Sheamus confrontation and Sheamus vs. Wade Barrett gained 146,000 viewers.
  • Ryback vs. Kane and the post-match with Daniel Bryan, John Cena and The Shield gained 163,000 viewers, weak for a main event, and did a 2.99 overrun.

Regarding the Fandango dancer situation, the original dancer was back on the 5/6 Raw show. She has been given no name, nor do we know who she is past the point she’s clearly a professional dancer. For the previous two weeks, Danielle Moinet as Summer Rae had been with him, and they gave her a name pretty quickly. She wasn’t booked on the Raw show but was booked to appear on the 5/7 Smackdown tapings. Time will tell what happens. Moinet is a trained pro wrestler and athlete, but not a professional dancer. If the role requires interaction, bumps, etc., she would be ahead. The idea right now is to use both. I was told the company likes the original because she’s the real dancer, but she’s a college student and can’t make it every week, nor go on the road. She had finals the last week or so which is why she was off.

Credit: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

damn near a million people turned off the divas match 
laugh.gif

Watching Main Event now.  They do a full pyro opening for it.  Yet they don't do pyro for Raws or many PPVs.  What the hell?

Raw on 5/6 did its worst ratings so far this year, doing a 2.89 rating and 3.92 million viewers.

The major reason for the downturn was going head-to-head with strong NBA playoff games on TNT. The Chicago Bulls vs. Miami Heat, featuring the league’s best drawing team and biggest drawing star, LeBron James, went against the first two hours of Raw. That game did a 4.15 rating and 5.54 million viewers. They kept the audience late night for the Golden State Warriors vs. San Antonio Spurs game which did 4.14 rating and 5.46 million viewers. Raw was third for the night on cable.

The show did a 1.8 in Male teenagers (down 22% from last week), a 2.3 in Males 18-49 (down 12%), 0.8 in Girl teens (up 60%) and 0.9 in Women 18-34 (down 25%). The audience was 69.6% male.

There was interest in the show at the start, and it faded.
  • Randy Orton vs. Damien Sandow lost 725,000 viewers, including 19% of all Males 18-49 tuning out during the match.
  • The star segment of the show was Brock Lesnar destroying HHH’s office in Stamford, CT, and then a Paul Heyman/HHH verbal battle, which gained 899,000 viewers at 10 p.m. and the rating was boosted to a 3.44. The boost was almost entirely male, as male teens grew 35% during the segment and Males 18-49 drew 38%.
  • Kaitlyn & Cameron & Naomi vs. Bella Twins & A.J. Lee lost 921,000 viewers, with drops of 17% among teenage boys and 21% in Males 18-49.

Daaaaaaayyyyum :rofl: :smh: I probably would've tuned out the divas match had I known Naomi was gonna just stand on the apron and do nothing

I mean the Divas match losing all those viewers is embarrassing but not exactly surprising.  The Orton match losing 3 qtrs of a million viewers is pathetic.

F****** Cole keeps saying Cesaro has a "Pound and Ground" style on Main Event.  Driving me nuts.

Very good match.  Better than anything you ever see on Raw.  Could have easily been a PPV match.  Lots of back and forth.  Cesaro got plenty of offense in.  Cesaro had Orton in a front facelock, and out of nowhere Orton popped out, hit the RKO and got the win.

Very good match.  Better than anything you ever see on Raw.  Could have easily been a PPV match.  Lots of back and forth.  Cesaro got plenty of offense in.  Cesaro had Orton in a front facelock, and out of nowhere Orton popped out, hit the RKO and got the win.

Do you think it helped to make Cesaro look credible in the eyes of casual viewers?

You guys think the Briscoes (assuming WWE indeed has interest) would be great fits in the WWE.

I know they could bolster the tag division (btw Hunter, i thought you was going to make that relevant again) but then again, they could be the next headbangers or Basham Brothers.

You guys think the Briscoes (assuming WWE indeed has interest) would be great fits in the WWE.

I know they could bolster the tag division (btw Hunter, i thought you was going to make that relevant again) but then again, they could be the next headbangers or Basham Brothers.

There's been talk about them going to the WWE for a long time now, but I don't want it to happen.

Their characters would be neutered beyond recognition.

Gimme Back My Bullets :pimp:

i want them to get signed so they can cash out , dudes deserve some national exposure but they will be toned down and come out looking like mvp with his underarmor ring attire if somebody doesnt find their them cosmetically pleasing 

Looking back at Nexus I completely forgot Daniel Bryan and Ryback were apart of that group.   Man that stable had so much potential.

- WWE Saturday Morning Slam may air only for a few more weeks. Word was going around a few month ago that the CW Network only purchased a certain number of episodes of the show but this isn’t confirmed. There have been no new matches taped for SMS in two weeks now.

- It was reported last week that there is no timetable for CM Punk’s WWE return but there was talk recently that officials want him back in the ring at the June 16th Payback pay-per-view from Chicago.

- The Bella Twins may be revealed as Kaitlyn’s secret admirer. The idea would be that they have been playing a cruel joke on the Divas Champion.

- Independent wrestling stars who are said to be in the process of doing medical tests for WWE include Mike Bennett, Samurai del Sol, Shaun Ricker and Sami Callihan.

- Damien Sandow and John Cena did a talk show segment called “The Damien Sandow Show” after the recent WWE NXT TV tapings. This may have been a tryout for a new SmackDown segment.

- Christian has been cleared to return to action but is waiting on WWE creative to come up with a storyline that will bring him back. Sin Cara returns next week and Christian should be back shortly after. No date set yet for Evan Bourne’s return but he worked one match in developmental and wasn’t ready yet.

- WWE will be gearing their new Total Divas TV show towards a female audience because that’s E!’s general audience.

As of now, they have filmed and plan to air footage showing the real-life relationships of Nikki Bella & John Cena, Daniel Bryan & Brie Bella and Natalya & Tyson Kidd.

- Fandango will face Chris Jericho in a dance-off on next week’s RAW from Tulsa. Vince McMahon originally wanted the dance-off to take place at Extreme Rules and not have the two do an actual match at the pay-per-view.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Back
Top Bottom