Will Facebook ever fall off? Serious question

Originally Posted by oidreez

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by Im Not You

People are SEVERELY underestimating the ground Facebook has broken globally.

I think alot of people are still merely looking at it as JUST a website.

Elaborate

What is it if it's not just a website.  I think that was OPs original argument.  That if you just stop going to the website....then that's it.  No more facebook.  I don't have a facebook and I am not inundated with facebook things throughout my life.  To me personally the existence of facebook is null and void to my life.

well that's just to you. what about the 500 million other people who use it?
I understand people use it.  And its hard to make assumptions when something this big has never been done on such a huge scale.

But the argument is what is stopping it from being replaced.  If something new comes along and it seen as "cool" by the masses who is to say everyone won't just migrate.  "because tons of people use it" isn't really a viable argument.  Tons of people can change their minds.  I like the constant innovation argument and the obvious, there are not competitors at the moment argument they are reasonable statements. 

You think fb wont ever fall off?
You guys must not know how fickle us consumers are.

Social networking sites have been around for a long time. The newest one constantly being "better" than the previous one.
Its just a matter of time bros.

You think fb wont ever fall off?
You guys must not know how fickle us consumers are.

Social networking sites have been around for a long time. The newest one constantly being "better" than the previous one.
Its just a matter of time bros.

It'll fall off in the next 2 years. It's starting to really stray away from it's original purpose.

It'll fall off in the next 2 years. It's starting to really stray away from it's original purpose.

Originally Posted by INS

Well its just a slighty different version each time. Facebook is similar to MiGente where as you had a comment section and you also had your about me section. If something comes after FB it must be something slightly different. Its like a Car, it does all the same things but its all about how it looks and performs. also how many people you can get to look at you

wow what ever happened to migente and why did everyone stop using it?
and dont say myspace cause myspace didnt have anything that migente didnt. 

Originally Posted by INS

Well its just a slighty different version each time. Facebook is similar to MiGente where as you had a comment section and you also had your about me section. If something comes after FB it must be something slightly different. Its like a Car, it does all the same things but its all about how it looks and performs. also how many people you can get to look at you

wow what ever happened to migente and why did everyone stop using it?
and dont say myspace cause myspace didnt have anything that migente didnt. 

Elaborate

What is it if it's not just a website.  I think that was OPs original argument.  That if you just stop going to the website....then that's it.  No more facebook.  I don't have a facebook and I am not inundated with facebook things throughout my life.  To me personally the existence of facebook is null and void to my life.

I understand people use it.  And its hard to make assumptions when something this big has never been done on such a huge scale.

But the argument is what is stopping it from being replaced.  If something new comes along and it seen as "cool" by the masses who is to say everyone won't just migrate.  "because tons of people use it" isn't really a viable argument.  Tons of people can change their minds.  I like the constant innovation argument and the obvious, there are not competitors at the moment argument they are reasonable statements. 

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

I was pointing out the lack of substantial evidence of your claims along with the fact that your claims are based on your feelings, rather than fact itself.

I'm not even sure what you mean by Facebook produces nothing. They provide two types of services that are (extremely) well received in the marketplace.

1. The (free) service to their users. People can connect socially, share ideas, promote their business, and stay in touch in an organized, efficient manner... much like NikeTalk on a larger scale. In a world where connectivity and information is seemingly instant, you bet there's a high level of value placed on a service that can keep track, supplement, and even enhance people's social and professional lives.
Taken directly from FB: http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics

• More than 500 million active users
  • 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
  • Average user has 130 friends
  • People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook

2. The (paying) service they provide to advertisers and companies that use their on-screen real estate as an advertising medium. This, as you may already know, is where they make their money. Those people mentioned above... the 500 million active users... that's a sea of people that you can reach and directly market to using Facebook. If you don't see the value in that, then you have no business talking about business in the first place.

Why don't I think FB will fall off? The same reason I think Google, Amazon and Apple won't fall off. They're constantly evolving, refining their product and breaking into new markets - all part of their core business model.

Unlike Myspace, Facebook never stopped reinventing itself, coming up with new products and increasing exposure through more than your traditional medium (computers) They're on Cell phones, ipads, xbox 360's, playstations and I'm sure they're not planning on stopping.

Myspace, on the other hand, is exactly the same as it was when i left it back in 2003. That's failure.

Posted 2 pages ago.

Elaborate

I was pointing out the lack of substantial evidence of your claims along with the fact that your claims are based on your feelings, rather than fact itself.

I'm not even sure what you mean by Facebook produces nothing. They provide two types of services that are (extremely) well received in the marketplace.

1. The (free) service to their users. People can connect socially, share ideas, promote their business, and stay in touch in an organized, efficient manner... much like NikeTalk on a larger scale. In a world where connectivity and information is seemingly instant, you bet there's a high level of value placed on a service that can keep track, supplement, and even enhance people's social and professional lives.
Taken directly from FB: http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics

• More than 500 million active users
  • 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
  • Average user has 130 friends
  • People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook

2. The (paying) service they provide to advertisers and companies that use their on-screen real estate as an advertising medium. This, as you may already know, is where they make their money. Those people mentioned above... the 500 million active users... that's a sea of people that you can reach and directly market to using Facebook. If you don't see the value in that, then you have no business talking about business in the first place.

Why don't I think FB will fall off? The same reason I think Google, Amazon and Apple won't fall off. They're constantly evolving, refining their product and breaking into new markets - all part of their core business model.

Unlike Myspace, Facebook never stopped reinventing itself, coming up with new products and increasing exposure through more than your traditional medium (computers) They're on Cell phones, ipads, xbox 360's, playstations and I'm sure they're not planning on stopping.

Myspace, on the other hand, is exactly the same as it was when i left it back in 2003. That's failure.

Posted 2 pages ago.

Decativated my account 2 months ago. FB in spring of 09 was classic. I pretty much used fb for what it was meant for. Finding old classmates, talking to long lost relatives, "friending" chicks you see on someone else's list cause they look good or they posted something slick on a mutual friends status message (later flirting with these chicks and telling them what they wanna hear until they gave up the (()) like they were giving out candy).

I might go back to fb, I might not. But all in all, it was a good run.

Decativated my account 2 months ago. FB in spring of 09 was classic. I pretty much used fb for what it was meant for. Finding old classmates, talking to long lost relatives, "friending" chicks you see on someone else's list cause they look good or they posted something slick on a mutual friends status message (later flirting with these chicks and telling them what they wanna hear until they gave up the (()) like they were giving out candy).

I might go back to fb, I might not. But all in all, it was a good run.

Maybe people go back to a simpler time. "hey i dont need all this social interactions in cyberspace. let me see whats around me locally".

I havent been on facebook in awhile but when it all started, it seemed more like an exclusive club where you could see what people AROUND you were doing (in or at your college). it was meant to be somewhat LOCAL among your college/town.. Now its just widespread and totally global. I know there were Networks or groups and all that on facebook, and maybe im off base here, but maybe another website will takeover that sticks strictly to regions, towns, or areas.

NuJerzLoyalty, what happened? old friends said hi and then Bye? much like what happens when you may see one randomly back in your hometown somewhere in real life..

All it takes is one friend to grow tiresome or bored, deactivate and the trend continues "we know each others numbers or emails. lets keep it simple". Or Maybe people want to regain their privacy and ghost status they had before Fb... ie, they checked up on all their family and friends to see if they're alive, and thats enough. If you want to contact them now, its all in a phone number, email, or address.

Maybe people go back to a simpler time. "hey i dont need all this social interactions in cyberspace. let me see whats around me locally".

I havent been on facebook in awhile but when it all started, it seemed more like an exclusive club where you could see what people AROUND you were doing (in or at your college). it was meant to be somewhat LOCAL among your college/town.. Now its just widespread and totally global. I know there were Networks or groups and all that on facebook, and maybe im off base here, but maybe another website will takeover that sticks strictly to regions, towns, or areas.

NuJerzLoyalty, what happened? old friends said hi and then Bye? much like what happens when you may see one randomly back in your hometown somewhere in real life..

All it takes is one friend to grow tiresome or bored, deactivate and the trend continues "we know each others numbers or emails. lets keep it simple". Or Maybe people want to regain their privacy and ghost status they had before Fb... ie, they checked up on all their family and friends to see if they're alive, and thats enough. If you want to contact them now, its all in a phone number, email, or address.

Posted 2 pages ago.

Yea I read that. hence me saying i understand the ever evolving and no competitors arguments.  Just wanted to see if there was any other insight.

I think the argument that facebook doesn't actually make a product is a very interesting concept depending on how you see things.  Obviously there is no concrete answer to the "will they fall off" question.  But it's interesting to see that some people think facebook can stay relevant and others think it can't. 

Posted 2 pages ago.

Yea I read that. hence me saying i understand the ever evolving and no competitors arguments.  Just wanted to see if there was any other insight.

I think the argument that facebook doesn't actually make a product is a very interesting concept depending on how you see things.  Obviously there is no concrete answer to the "will they fall off" question.  But it's interesting to see that some people think facebook can stay relevant and others think it can't. 

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Pretty much. Old friends would add me/ I add them, and we didn't even converse. It was good to see old friends who are now married, having kids, doing good in life, etc.. at the same time the "RIP (_____)" status messages that pop up when someone you know has died was sad. 

When it comes down to it, the small click of friends that I socialize with/see in real life on a daily basis, are the SAME friends I still socialize with. Anybody I met on fb(chicks) I pretty much socialize with via bbm, and text messages..... nothing serious.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Pretty much. Old friends would add me/ I add them, and we didn't even converse. It was good to see old friends who are now married, having kids, doing good in life, etc.. at the same time the "RIP (_____)" status messages that pop up when someone you know has died was sad. 

When it comes down to it, the small click of friends that I socialize with/see in real life on a daily basis, are the SAME friends I still socialize with. Anybody I met on fb(chicks) I pretty much socialize with via bbm, and text messages..... nothing serious.

Is it not possible to intergrate 3 sites in one making 1 site the best of the best?

EX: Skype and Facebook combine to 1 operated by Apple which then allows most products to surface or be used/bought hinting towards a major company?

*Cough* new world social website order*Cough*

Is it not possible to intergrate 3 sites in one making 1 site the best of the best?

EX: Skype and Facebook combine to 1 operated by Apple which then allows most products to surface or be used/bought hinting towards a major company?

*Cough* new world social website order*Cough*

Back
Top Bottom