"WHY YOUNG AMERICANS SHOULD WORK OVERSEAS"

I'm glad i came across this thread. My mom picked up and accepted a teaching position at an international school in Singapore back in July. She's in her late 40's and managing perfectly well. She gets paid more than she did here in the states, saving money at an exponential rate compared to back here in texas, she has a stipend for her housing, has travelled to more places in Asia in the past 7 months than people do in a lifetime, and is enjoying life far much more than I would have imagined being away from the states. I'm convinced that I would welcome the transition into life in another country. I'm actually gaining teaching experience now so that I can apply for international schools by next summer. Being young and in my 20's this article just reaffirms my interest in transplanting overseas. If someone in her late 40's can make the transition seem seamless, imagine what it would be like for more youthful bodies. I can understand people being apprehensive about being surrounded by a different culture and language but theres no way that you wont meet someone who has the same mindset and same attitude as you, even if they arent american. I'm visiting her this summer for two months and have flights booked to Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, and Hong Kong. Life is too short, I'd hate to be trapped here thinking that the US is the only place to live the dream.

Back
Top Bottom