Why is soccer (boring unwatchable sport) the most watched spectator sport in the world?

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by ChicagoKid23

Originally Posted by SamB

Soccer is an amazing sport that your little mind cannot enjoy

exactly. theres so much more about soccer then what people think its not just dudes running around kicking a ball
its a chess match watch how teams off and def work watch the plays and the strategies 
As a sports fan who dislikes soccer, I am actually offended by this line of thought that it seems most soccer fans have.  You just assume that all people who dislike the sport dont have an understanding of the sport.  Now of course there are going to be people like OP, but people like me (someone who watches 2+ soccer games a week) are always lumped in the same category as he is.  I just dont get it.  Generall speaking, soccer fans get so offended when people dislike their sport, that they automatically dismiss the person making the claim.  Its ALWAYS like this.

And for the record, YES, I totally agree with you that soccer is so much more than kicking a ball around.  But it is probably the easiest sport to understand, and I dont see how this is debatable.  There are far less rules in soccer than any other sport.  If you took a guy who has never watched a single sport in his life, and he watched 1 entire game of soccer, baseball, basketball and football, that guy would probably think he knew the most about soccer.  (basketball a close second).
You're making it seem as if soccer fans are the only ones who are defensive about their sport. I imagine you (or at least a huge amount of baseball fans), would defend their sport and argue against those calling it boring. You're the minority in the case of soccer... congrats, you watch it and still don't like it. But if you polled the casual American sports fan, those who dislike soccer HATE the sport for no real reason, and I would bet a good majority of them haven't watched it with regularity and understand how the game works. Meanwhile, even if they dislike baseball or basketball, American fans will at least have a better knowledge of those games because they're exposed to it more often. People hate soccer because A. they see it as wussy and not "American" or B. they don't understand the sport and don't have the access to get it
Should you really be surprised soccer fans are more defensive? They'll get more flack than the other four major sports in the US, people are quicker to dismiss the sport so it shouldn't be a surprise when fans are more defensive.

Originally Posted by SamB

Soccer is an amazing sport that your little mind cannot enjoy

exactly. theres so much more about soccer then what people think its not just dudes running around kicking a ball
its a chess match watch how teams off and def work watch the plays and the strategies 
As a sports fan who dislikes soccer, I am actually offended by this line of thought that it seems most soccer fans have.  You just assume that all people who dislike the sport dont have an understanding of the sport.  Now of course there are going to be people like OP, but people like me (someone who watches 2+ soccer games a week) are always lumped in the same category as he is.  I just dont get it.  Generall speaking, soccer fans get so offended when people dislike their sport, that they automatically dismiss the person making the claim.  Its ALWAYS like this.

And for the record, YES, I totally agree with you that soccer is so much more than kicking a ball around.  But it is probably the easiest sport to understand, and I dont see how this is debatable.  There are far less rules in soccer than any other sport.  If you took a guy who has never watched a single sport in his life, and he watched 1 entire game of soccer, baseball, basketball and football, that guy would probably think he knew the most about soccer.  (basketball a close second).
You're making it seem as if soccer fans are the only ones who are defensive about their sport. I imagine you (or at least a huge amount of baseball fans), would defend their sport and argue against those calling it boring. You're the minority in the case of soccer... congrats, you watch it and still don't like it. But if you polled the casual American sports fan, those who dislike soccer HATE the sport for no real reason, and I would bet a good majority of them haven't watched it with regularity and understand how the game works. Meanwhile, even if they dislike baseball or basketball, American fans will at least have a better knowledge of those games because they're exposed to it more often. People hate soccer because A. they see it as wussy and not "American" or B. they don't understand the sport and don't have the access to get it
Should you really be surprised soccer fans are more defensive? They'll get more flack than the other four major sports in the US, people are quicker to dismiss the sport so it shouldn't be a surprise when fans are more defensive.

American football fans talking about low scoring (I enjoy American football btw)...If you start counting TDs as 1 point instead of 7 you'd have a low scoring game as well

Plus low scoring games are more exciting. There's always that pressure of needing to score/score again and the anticipation leading up to a goal is crazy.

I've been calling myself a soccer fan ever since a few months before the 2010 World Cup. Yes, I'm very new to the sport in terms of following it and understanding the game, but I really enjoy watching and playing when I get the chance. It doesn't hurt that I played when I was four to five years old, have the trophy to prove it 
grin.gif

I've been calling myself a soccer fan ever since a few months before the 2010 World Cup. Yes, I'm very new to the sport in terms of following it and understanding the game, but I really enjoy watching and playing when I get the chance. It doesn't hurt that I played when I was four to five years old, have the trophy to prove it 
grin.gif

Originally Posted by bkmac

grin.gif

"they gives those  to everyone"

grin.gif

YES, I totally agree with you that soccer is so much more than kicking a ball around.  But it is probably the easiest sport to understand, and I dont see how this is debatable.  There are far less rules in soccer than any other sport.
Brilliant use of logic and sound reasoning.

There are many different forms and levels of understanding. The ability to interpret and comprehend rules is one rudimentary form.

YES, I totally agree with you that soccer is so much more than kicking a ball around.  But it is probably the easiest sport to understand, and I dont see how this is debatable.  There are far less rules in soccer than any other sport.

There are many different forms and levels of understanding. The ability to interpret and comprehend rules is one rudimentary form.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Like I said before.  One can understand how the game works having very limited exposure to the sport.  Its NOT that complex of a sport to understand.  IMO, when soccer fans dismiss others' opinions of soccer by saying "oh well they just dont understand how the game works," that is nothing more than a defense mechanism.  Just because one might not see all the subtle nuances of the sport does not mean one isnt understanding it.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Like I said before.  One can understand how the game works having very limited exposure to the sport.  Its NOT that complex of a sport to understand.  IMO, when soccer fans dismiss others' opinions of soccer by saying "oh well they just dont understand how the game works," that is nothing more than a defense mechanism.  Just because one might not see all the subtle nuances of the sport does not mean one isnt understanding it.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Im not going to argue.  You know damn well I didnt mean "the ONLY reason that soccer is the easiest sport to understand because it has far less rules than other sports."  But hey, when you get a chance to make a smart *@@ comment, you gotta do it right?

Im not going to argue.  You know damn well I didnt mean "the ONLY reason that soccer is the easiest sport to understand because it has far less rules than other sports."  But hey, when you get a chance to make a smart *@@ comment, you gotta do it right?

If that's all you can pick out of my response, then I can assume you agree with the rest. You're actually offended soccer fans make that kind of assumption? Really? If you're the exception to the majority (that actually watches the sport and still doesn't like it), then good for you.. but you seem more against soccer fans who are defensive (and probably attack you as a result of your stance) rather than any issue with the actual sport. If you're not in that same group, then why should you care if soccer fans lump "everyone" into that group, that's how things work, people make assumptions based on the majority. You're not in the majority, so don't sweat it.

If that's all you can pick out of my response, then I can assume you agree with the rest. You're actually offended soccer fans make that kind of assumption? Really? If you're the exception to the majority (that actually watches the sport and still doesn't like it), then good for you.. but you seem more against soccer fans who are defensive (and probably attack you as a result of your stance) rather than any issue with the actual sport. If you're not in that same group, then why should you care if soccer fans lump "everyone" into that group, that's how things work, people make assumptions based on the majority. You're not in the majority, so don't sweat it.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

grin.gif

laugh.gif
Don't rain on my parade.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

grin.gif

laugh.gif
Don't rain on my parade.

There are different levels of understanding in most every sport, and this is especially true in soccer. In basketball, one can understand the general idea of the game and be able to follow the action, but not be able to understand how the box and 1 or zone defense is working, or how an offensive system works. Surely you don't think a casual basketball fan knows anything about a structured offensive system? With that sort of understanding comes a different sort of appreciation for what is happening. Further understanding can be gained by actually playing organized, competitive sport, since first hand experience is key to understanding anything. Think about this, who is more likely to enjoy a basketball game on tv, the guy who played regularly, or the guy who hardly ever played?

In soccer, a long time fan/player of the game will be able to better appreciate the game because he/she has a better understanding of what is going on and how it is occurring, such as how a side is implementing a game-plan, the perpetual battle for control of the midfield, angles taken by defenders, spacing, timing, etc. Those who have longtime experience with the sport are more likely to appreciate and be entertained due to their profound understanding/knowledge of the game and its subtleties.

There are different levels of understanding in most every sport, and this is especially true in soccer. In basketball, one can understand the general idea of the game and be able to follow the action, but not be able to understand how the box and 1 or zone defense is working, or how an offensive system works. Surely you don't think a casual basketball fan knows anything about a structured offensive system? With that sort of understanding comes a different sort of appreciation for what is happening. Further understanding can be gained by actually playing organized, competitive sport, since first hand experience is key to understanding anything. Think about this, who is more likely to enjoy a basketball game on tv, the guy who played regularly, or the guy who hardly ever played?

In soccer, a long time fan/player of the game will be able to better appreciate the game because he/she has a better understanding of what is going on and how it is occurring, such as how a side is implementing a game-plan, the perpetual battle for control of the midfield, angles taken by defenders, spacing, timing, etc. Those who have longtime experience with the sport are more likely to appreciate and be entertained due to their profound understanding/knowledge of the game and its subtleties.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

No argument what so ever.  If you have been around the game for longer periods of time, I understand you are more likely to appreciate/like it.  But there are a ton of reasons as to why someone would dislike soccer.  Not having a deep understanding of the sport may be applicable in some cases.  But soccer enthusiasts make it seem like it is 95% of the time.  Just look at this thread as one example.  How many times has someone said something along the lines of "they just dont understand it" in only 3 pages? 

I know there are a ton of people that think baseball sucks and is boring.  You dont see me assuming that they all just dont understand the sport.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

No argument what so ever.  If you have been around the game for longer periods of time, I understand you are more likely to appreciate/like it.  But there are a ton of reasons as to why someone would dislike soccer.  Not having a deep understanding of the sport may be applicable in some cases.  But soccer enthusiasts make it seem like it is 95% of the time.  Just look at this thread as one example.  How many times has someone said something along the lines of "they just dont understand it" in only 3 pages? 

I know there are a ton of people that think baseball sucks and is boring.  You dont see me assuming that they all just dont understand the sport.

No, I didn't damn well know that. If I knew that I wouldn't ask you, what's your additional reasoning as to why soccer is the easiest sport to understand?

No, I didn't damn well know that. If I knew that I wouldn't ask you, what's your additional reasoning as to why soccer is the easiest sport to understand?

Back
Top Bottom