Why is soccer (boring unwatchable sport) the most watched spectator sport in the world?

soccer> baseball
soccer> golf
soccer> nascar
soccer> football if they add all these sissy rules they talkin about this year

ive only been watching soccer for a year and i love it, its so beautiful it takes a truely skilled athlete to play the game

soccer> baseball
soccer> golf
soccer> nascar
soccer> football if they add all these sissy rules they talkin about this year

ive only been watching soccer for a year and i love it, its so beautiful it takes a truely skilled athlete to play the game

OP, by your genius assumption that scoring = excitement, cricket should be the most popular sport in the world, no? and Arena Football should be more popular than the NFL, right?

OP, by your genius assumption that scoring = excitement, cricket should be the most popular sport in the world, no? and Arena Football should be more popular than the NFL, right?

Originally Posted by SamB

Soccer is an amazing sport that your little mind cannot enjoy

exactly. theres so much more about soccer then what people think its not just dudes running around kicking a ball
its a chess match watch how teams off and def work watch the plays and the strategies 

exactly. theres so much more about soccer then what people think its not just dudes running around kicking a ball
its a chess match watch how teams off and def work watch the plays and the strategies 

Based off some of the response that are anti-soccer I can see people thinking players just need to kick the ball in the goal . Easier said then done, so in the NBA you just need to put the ball in the hoop right? Or in baseball you just need to hit the ball hard? Your not gonna have it easy when Dwight Howard is guarding you and hitting a baseball against a professional pitcher is HARD. If you want to talk about a dumb sport then you should make a thread for the NFL. Soccer is a very psycological game that you can fully enjoy if you can comprehend all aspects of the sport.

Watch the Champions league match between Real vs Barcelona coming up & you'll prob. change your outlook...

Based off some of the response that are anti-soccer I can see people thinking players just need to kick the ball in the goal . Easier said then done, so in the NBA you just need to put the ball in the hoop right? Or in baseball you just need to hit the ball hard? Your not gonna have it easy when Dwight Howard is guarding you and hitting a baseball against a professional pitcher is HARD. If you want to talk about a dumb sport then you should make a thread for the NFL. Soccer is a very psycological game that you can fully enjoy if you can comprehend all aspects of the sport.

Watch the Champions league match between Real vs Barcelona coming up & you'll prob. change your outlook...

You guys understand that America is only about 4.5% of the world's population. So you are very small, and the rest of the 95.5% don't necessarily agree with what you think.

This reminds me of those maps of "The World According to Americans"...
indifferent.gif

You guys understand that America is only about 4.5% of the world's population. So you are very small, and the rest of the 95.5% don't necessarily agree with what you think.

This reminds me of those maps of "The World According to Americans"...
indifferent.gif

No need to attack the NFL, and it is in no way a dumb sport.

No need to attack the NFL, and it is in no way a dumb sport.

My two favorite sports are Soccer and american Football and they are polar opposites. My NFL buddies always say soccer is low scoring, boring and only for foreigners while my soccer buddies say football is boring, slow, has too many rules and is for brutes. Both sports have a unique beauty about them. Indeed soccer is a beautiful and graceful team chess match that develops into a symphony of sport. Soccer is more about developing the scoring play thus make the actual score that mUch sweeter. American football is strategic, intense and explosive. It is a game of inches that forces u to channel ur energy into an intense and short play.I appreciate both sports and enjoy their uniqueness. I also think people in The US do not appreciate soccer cuz they have nothin riding on it. In most of the world soccer is like college sports in that their is a special kind of passion for the local neighborhood team like there is for an Alma mater

My two favorite sports are Soccer and american Football and they are polar opposites. My NFL buddies always say soccer is low scoring, boring and only for foreigners while my soccer buddies say football is boring, slow, has too many rules and is for brutes. Both sports have a unique beauty about them. Indeed soccer is a beautiful and graceful team chess match that develops into a symphony of sport. Soccer is more about developing the scoring play thus make the actual score that mUch sweeter. American football is strategic, intense and explosive. It is a game of inches that forces u to channel ur energy into an intense and short play.I appreciate both sports and enjoy their uniqueness. I also think people in The US do not appreciate soccer cuz they have nothin riding on it. In most of the world soccer is like college sports in that their is a special kind of passion for the local neighborhood team like there is for an Alma mater

soccer (football) CAN be pretty boring. it depends. Yall cant tell me that world cup soccer is boring. I think its about even with watching baseball.

i cant stand watching golf :/ lol

soccer (football) CAN be pretty boring. it depends. Yall cant tell me that world cup soccer is boring. I think its about even with watching baseball.

i cant stand watching golf :/ lol

Originally Posted by ChicagoKid23

As a sports fan who dislikes soccer, I am actually offended by this line of thought that it seems most soccer fans have.  You just assume that all people who dislike the sport dont have an understanding of the sport.  Now of course there are going to be people like OP, but people like me (someone who watches 2+ soccer games a week) are always lumped in the same category as he is.  I just dont get it.  Generall speaking, soccer fans get so offended when people dislike their sport, that they automatically dismiss the person making the claim.  Its ALWAYS like this.

And for the record, YES, I totally agree with you that soccer is so much more than kicking a ball around.  But it is probably the easiest sport to understand, and I dont see how this is debatable.  There are far less rules in soccer than any other sport.  If you took a guy who has never watched a single sport in his life, and he watched 1 entire game of soccer, baseball, basketball and football, that guy would probably think he knew the most about soccer.  (basketball a close second).

Originally Posted by ChicagoKid23

As a sports fan who dislikes soccer, I am actually offended by this line of thought that it seems most soccer fans have.  You just assume that all people who dislike the sport dont have an understanding of the sport.  Now of course there are going to be people like OP, but people like me (someone who watches 2+ soccer games a week) are always lumped in the same category as he is.  I just dont get it.  Generall speaking, soccer fans get so offended when people dislike their sport, that they automatically dismiss the person making the claim.  Its ALWAYS like this.

And for the record, YES, I totally agree with you that soccer is so much more than kicking a ball around.  But it is probably the easiest sport to understand, and I dont see how this is debatable.  There are far less rules in soccer than any other sport.  If you took a guy who has never watched a single sport in his life, and he watched 1 entire game of soccer, baseball, basketball and football, that guy would probably think he knew the most about soccer.  (basketball a close second).

if you watch something that you have no interest in then of course you're gonna find it boring.
most of the people claiming it to be boring have never played/watched it before.

if you watch something that you have no interest in then of course you're gonna find it boring.
most of the people claiming it to be boring have never played/watched it before.

I find watching any sport that is not basketball or tennis boring. With that said, different people just like different things. I don't understand how people enjoy watching baseball, but a lot of people do.

I find watching any sport that is not basketball or tennis boring. With that said, different people just like different things. I don't understand how people enjoy watching baseball, but a lot of people do.

American football fans talking about low scoring (I enjoy American football btw)...If you start counting TDs as 1 point instead of 7 you'd have a low scoring game as well

Plus low scoring games are more exciting. There's always that pressure of needing to score/score again and the anticipation leading up to a goal is crazy.

Back
Top Bottom