"Why is America the 'no-vacation nation'?"

my job has PTO but they try to send you home early on certain days to force people into using it

i have about 180 hrs saved up which is a month and some change

i assume jobs are scared that you will find something better during your time off

there have been meetings at my job specifically about me as to why i'm not taking PTO when they want me to

but i'm not using my time until i have a REAL vacation planned, i won't be sitting at home playing black ops, that's for sure

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

'Americans work like robots'

QFTMT
30t6p3b.gif

you got these 9-5ers trying to "stack" their money.. but for what tho?.. cant get stuck in that hamster wheel.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

I just came from vegas not long ago, my vay cay will be like Aug. My job has PTO. Its straight. I took 2 weeks off end of 2010 round holidays

My job blacks out the holiday season
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Al Audi

I just came from vegas not long ago, my vay cay will be like Aug. My job has PTO. Its straight. I took 2 weeks off end of 2010 round holidays

My job blacks out the holiday season
30t6p3b.gif

My dad has been an engineer for about 25 years, and he takes about 8 weeks of paid vacation throughout the year.
He told me that vacation length for the most part is not only dependent on your experience level but also on how much your boss likes you. Even if you're a good worker, unless your higher ups practically love you, good luck getting more than 10 days a year. At his previous job his boss hated everyone so no one would even take time off in fear of getting laid off

One of my biggest fears is not being able to enjoy life due to work...I don't want to be the average American who is stuck in the same country and same city for 99% of the year.

I have European friends and they tell me how much they travel 
eek.gif
 and how cheap it is to travel within European countries 
eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

I have nothing against the US, I love this country (well at least only the major cities 
laugh.gif
) but like finns said there's alot of @#$% not to like about it as well

My dad has been an engineer for about 25 years, and he takes about 8 weeks of paid vacation throughout the year.
He told me that vacation length for the most part is not only dependent on your experience level but also on how much your boss likes you. Even if you're a good worker, unless your higher ups practically love you, good luck getting more than 10 days a year. At his previous job his boss hated everyone so no one would even take time off in fear of getting laid off

One of my biggest fears is not being able to enjoy life due to work...I don't want to be the average American who is stuck in the same country and same city for 99% of the year.

I have European friends and they tell me how much they travel 
eek.gif
 and how cheap it is to travel within European countries 
eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

I have nothing against the US, I love this country (well at least only the major cities 
laugh.gif
) but like finns said there's alot of @#$% not to like about it as well

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

it saddens me man.. 
i have a coworker (only in his 30s so he's still fairly young) who has only been to 3 states (never mind diff countries) his entire life.. always talking about "he has no time or money" but stays buying the latest junk the tech blogs force down his throat
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

it saddens me man.. 
i have a coworker (only in his 30s so he's still fairly young) who has only been to 3 states (never mind diff countries) his entire life.. always talking about "he has no time or money" but stays buying the latest junk the tech blogs force down his throat
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by finnns2003

America is severely behind other first world countries in this regard, gee, what a surprise. What does that go after... Education? Health care? Crime? This country is a damn joke, and you'd know that if you've ever traveled outside this country.

Im starting to realize this more and more
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by finnns2003

America is severely behind other first world countries in this regard, gee, what a surprise. What does that go after... Education? Health care? Crime? This country is a damn joke, and you'd know that if you've ever traveled outside this country.

Im starting to realize this more and more
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I used to believe that was true but not anymore.
Oh no, I agree, I meant to put that in quotes. You won't ever get the people who are in charge of vacations and work hours to believe that though. Logic has nothing to do with it.

And Americans work like robots because they're educated like robots. They are entertained like robots. They are corn fed and conditioned to consume like robots. What else do you expect?

I'm gonna repost what I put down in the Reddit thread on the same topic.
The government's role should be that of a referee. They should prevent corruption and the sort. Not dictate to people how to act.

Say Pepsi doesn't offer vacations and Coke does, who would you work for? Coke obviously. Now, here one would argue that well, Pepsi and Coke will just both refuse to offer vacation. Now THIS is where the government would step in, as the companies would be colluding and subverting the rules of the "game". This is how Capitalism should work.

Government is meant to protect people's RIGHTS not PRIVILEGES.

I used to believe that was true but not anymore.
Oh no, I agree, I meant to put that in quotes. You won't ever get the people who are in charge of vacations and work hours to believe that though. Logic has nothing to do with it.

And Americans work like robots because they're educated like robots. They are entertained like robots. They are corn fed and conditioned to consume like robots. What else do you expect?

I'm gonna repost what I put down in the Reddit thread on the same topic.
The government's role should be that of a referee. They should prevent corruption and the sort. Not dictate to people how to act.

Say Pepsi doesn't offer vacations and Coke does, who would you work for? Coke obviously. Now, here one would argue that well, Pepsi and Coke will just both refuse to offer vacation. Now THIS is where the government would step in, as the companies would be colluding and subverting the rules of the "game". This is how Capitalism should work.

Government is meant to protect people's RIGHTS not PRIVILEGES.

Haven't read through the thread yet but IMO a lot of Americans spend money on silly things and end up not being able to afford vacation time.

Haven't read through the thread yet but IMO a lot of Americans spend money on silly things and end up not being able to afford vacation time.

Back
Top Bottom