Who will sell more Wale or J.Cole? and was Big sean debut a fail?

Originally Posted by kidKiDd

^ Big Sean selling 87k is not a solid debut, not for an artist signed to such a major deal. Jada & Fab latest albums at least cracked the 100k on their first week debut.
But back to the subject, I think if they were both to drop today I'd have to give it to Wale *shrugs*
Then you also have no idea what the $+%% you're talking about.

You're comparing Big Sean to Fab and Jada? Artists who've been around for 10+ years? Who have ESTABLISHED fan bases?

Do you have any idea how many radio hits Fab has had?

Or are you talking about their debuts years ago? When the music industry and sales were significantly healthier?

Major deal don't mean +%*$. Consumers don't know +%*$ about a major deal.

What you fail to realize is this.....

When consumers buy ALBUMS, they are investing in ARTISTS.

Big Sean has ONE single to his name. He is not an established artist.

When consumers buy SINGLES, they are investing in SONGS.

Sean is selling a gang of singles.

And 87k for a debut album from an artist is IN NO WAY SHAPE, OR FORM, A FAIL.

Get it?

And for the record, if you read the subject, then this IS also the subject. What you going back to?

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

I think Cole will sell more cuz the label will ship more, if MMG only sold 55K with Ross as a figure head you really think J. Cole can't even sell 55K with all the people anticipating his album? Both Wale and J Cole have failed with the singles thus far so they would need a miracle to sell over 100K first week

And no Big Sean's debut wasn't a fail, "My Last" gets played a ton, he performed on the BET Awards and "Marvin Gaye and Chardonney" is buzzing now. 87K is respectable for a new rap artist in my opinion. Wiz is the only newish rapper I can think of that sold 100K plus in his first week, is there someone else I'm missing?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

87K is absolutely redic for an artists that gets as much play as My Last. It's a summer smash and he only sold 87K. 

Jim Jones could re-drop balling and sell more records. 
sick.gif

And also, jCole won't outsell Wale. Wale has a following.

JCole has the same hype as probably Lil B who only sold 1.7k
alien.gif
That's cuz people buy singles wayyyyy more than albums, especially with rappers. I bet My Last sold probably triple his total album sales
laugh.gif

Jim Jones? Now you know that's not true, what's the last notable thing he has done in his career?
laugh.gif

J Cole has the same following Wale has, probably more women. Like I said he'll sell more because they'll ship more, Jay-Z will make sure of it

Lil B has never been on an award show, never been on a top rappers album, never been on a R&B single and Lil B cares way more about playing a gimmick than the actual music. Hell has Lil B got any national airplay other than his songs with The Pack? I've never heard a Lil B song on the radio here in DC, I've heard J Cole plenty of times. Not saying that his singles are any good but he still has people begging for his album to come out

J Cole does not have more of a female following than Wale. 

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

I think Cole will sell more cuz the label will ship more, if MMG only sold 55K with Ross as a figure head you really think J. Cole can't even sell 55K with all the people anticipating his album? Both Wale and J Cole have failed with the singles thus far so they would need a miracle to sell over 100K first week

And no Big Sean's debut wasn't a fail, "My Last" gets played a ton, he performed on the BET Awards and "Marvin Gaye and Chardonney" is buzzing now. 87K is respectable for a new rap artist in my opinion. Wiz is the only newish rapper I can think of that sold 100K plus in his first week, is there someone else I'm missing?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

87K is absolutely redic for an artists that gets as much play as My Last. It's a summer smash and he only sold 87K. 

Jim Jones could re-drop balling and sell more records. 
sick.gif

And also, jCole won't outsell Wale. Wale has a following.

JCole has the same hype as probably Lil B who only sold 1.7k
alien.gif
That's cuz people buy singles wayyyyy more than albums, especially with rappers. I bet My Last sold probably triple his total album sales
laugh.gif

Jim Jones? Now you know that's not true, what's the last notable thing he has done in his career?
laugh.gif

J Cole has the same following Wale has, probably more women. Like I said he'll sell more because they'll ship more, Jay-Z will make sure of it

Lil B has never been on an award show, never been on a top rappers album, never been on a R&B single and Lil B cares way more about playing a gimmick than the actual music. Hell has Lil B got any national airplay other than his songs with The Pack? I've never heard a Lil B song on the radio here in DC, I've heard J Cole plenty of times. Not saying that his singles are any good but he still has people begging for his album to come out

J Cole does not have more of a female following than Wale. 

Big Sean had everybody rocking TISA since like '08, been featured on a couple different things from Good Music including the BET Freestyle Cypher and their latest VEVO, and had a couple warm up singles prior to "My Last" like "Gon Getcha Some", this is a disappointment a this point, he's never gonna be superstar, but he should remain somewhat successful, and atleast he got TISA to pop, and there's a lot of young dudes that try to dress like him.

J. Cole was the first artist on Roc Nation, Had 2 singles so far, and two high profile collabos with label mate Sean Garrett and one with Miguel, still no album out, there is no appeal with this dude, I don't know how long Columbia is gonna keep this dude around.

Wale is the top young rapper out, and signing with MMG is defiantly gonna help his buzz, him and Ace Hood are the future of hip hop!!!

Big Sean had everybody rocking TISA since like '08, been featured on a couple different things from Good Music including the BET Freestyle Cypher and their latest VEVO, and had a couple warm up singles prior to "My Last" like "Gon Getcha Some", this is a disappointment a this point, he's never gonna be superstar, but he should remain somewhat successful, and atleast he got TISA to pop, and there's a lot of young dudes that try to dress like him.

J. Cole was the first artist on Roc Nation, Had 2 singles so far, and two high profile collabos with label mate Sean Garrett and one with Miguel, still no album out, there is no appeal with this dude, I don't know how long Columbia is gonna keep this dude around.

Wale is the top young rapper out, and signing with MMG is defiantly gonna help his buzz, him and Ace Hood are the future of hip hop!!!

Singles mean nothing for album sales. B.O.B. sold less than Big Sean first week (84k) and look at what he has achieved in the mainstream. People liked "Beautiful Girls" and "Airplanes" because they were massive pop singles, not because B.O.B. was necessarily an artist they connected with and wanted a full body of work from.

Another example: Mike Posner - Clive Davis' J Records. Millions of single sales. International touring, etc. He sold 29k first week. Failure?

I feel like there are many different definitions of "success" and "failure." Truthfully, it's a win just to get your album on Best Buy shelves nowadays....at least in my opinion.

Singles mean nothing for album sales. B.O.B. sold less than Big Sean first week (84k) and look at what he has achieved in the mainstream. People liked "Beautiful Girls" and "Airplanes" because they were massive pop singles, not because B.O.B. was necessarily an artist they connected with and wanted a full body of work from.

Another example: Mike Posner - Clive Davis' J Records. Millions of single sales. International touring, etc. He sold 29k first week. Failure?

I feel like there are many different definitions of "success" and "failure." Truthfully, it's a win just to get your album on Best Buy shelves nowadays....at least in my opinion.

This _ said Ace Hood is the future of hip hop...What's up with these new _s?

This _ said Ace Hood is the future of hip hop...What's up with these new _s?

It will be close but I think Cole will sell more.. He's got a buzz whether you like it or not and I know it's hard for some of you to admit that..
grin.gif
 He's got a huge female following too... At the 2 shows I've gone too there were A LOT of girls in the crowd.. Cole's got a real loyal fan base too.
At the end of the day, despite how much they sell, I know that they are going to drop quality music. 

And idk what radio stations ya'll are listening to but I know Hot 97 is playing the ++!@ outta My Last.. I feel like I hear them playing it everyday at my gym.. Supposedly he was under-shipped but those were some good numbers for Sean imo
pimp.gif

It will be close but I think Cole will sell more.. He's got a buzz whether you like it or not and I know it's hard for some of you to admit that..
grin.gif
 He's got a huge female following too... At the 2 shows I've gone too there were A LOT of girls in the crowd.. Cole's got a real loyal fan base too.
At the end of the day, despite how much they sell, I know that they are going to drop quality music. 

And idk what radio stations ya'll are listening to but I know Hot 97 is playing the ++!@ outta My Last.. I feel like I hear them playing it everyday at my gym.. Supposedly he was under-shipped but those were some good numbers for Sean imo
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mike Dolla

Big Sean had everybody rocking TISA since like '08, and atleast he got TISA to pop, and there's a lot of young dudes that try to dress like him.
On what planet?

Originally Posted by Mike Dolla

Big Sean had everybody rocking TISA since like '08, and atleast he got TISA to pop, and there's a lot of young dudes that try to dress like him.
On what planet?

Big Sean album wasnt a fail but I feel like he would have done better if he actually had a following like  J. Cole or Wale maybe....instead he just had a bigger record than either of them have been album to make, which truth be told was only successful cuz Chris Brown was on the record....
With Wale and J. Cole...if you look at each as they approach their debuts you can see J. Cole is far more popular than Wale was when he was approaching his Attention Deficit release, and thats with one maybe "hit" song with "Hit it in the Morning" which is now ancient.

With that being said I think Cole will out sell Wale because Wale has yet to do anything note worthy to have new fans buy into him again... up to this point.

will either of them top Big Sean 87K tho? Depends on how the Trey Songs x J. Cole record sounds IMO... Cole can push 50-70k tops off his fanbase and thats being real modest, so if he has a hit with Trey he may get there.... Wale i cant really call I mean its a sophomore release but i dont see new fans gravitating to him with or without a hit song

Big Sean album wasnt a fail but I feel like he would have done better if he actually had a following like  J. Cole or Wale maybe....instead he just had a bigger record than either of them have been album to make, which truth be told was only successful cuz Chris Brown was on the record....
With Wale and J. Cole...if you look at each as they approach their debuts you can see J. Cole is far more popular than Wale was when he was approaching his Attention Deficit release, and thats with one maybe "hit" song with "Hit it in the Morning" which is now ancient.

With that being said I think Cole will out sell Wale because Wale has yet to do anything note worthy to have new fans buy into him again... up to this point.

will either of them top Big Sean 87K tho? Depends on how the Trey Songs x J. Cole record sounds IMO... Cole can push 50-70k tops off his fanbase and thats being real modest, so if he has a hit with Trey he may get there.... Wale i cant really call I mean its a sophomore release but i dont see new fans gravitating to him with or without a hit song

Back
Top Bottom