Who still is not using a smart phone?

GPS? I haven't had the need for it.
Read a book? Yes a paper copy
Watch Movies? When I am at home or at the movie theater, but not on my phone.
Look up information? Check for deals? Yeah I will usually do that on my laptop before I leave my home.
It may be hard to believe, but you can function in society and be happy without a smartphone.

And to comment additionally on your post... if I am in a restaurant with someone, I like to give them my undivided attention. Now if my "dumb" phone rings or I get a text message, I will acknowledge it to make sure it isn't some type of emergency. But once that call is done I am back to where I am at. So many times I see people in groups at a restaurant, and everyone in the group is on their phone. What kind of experience is that? You may see it as "multitasking," but I see it is as a big distraction and even disrespectful. Enjoy the moment, and enjoy the people who you are with at that moment. I am sure whatever they are checking can wait.

^ Nailed it.

Use the internet before hand so when you're out you know where you're going. Having to consult an iphone doesn't make this **** easier.

Reading a book on an iphone? That has distraction written all over it.

Watching a movie on a 4 inch screen is pointless. Might come in handy for plane trips, but not necessary.

the point is you can live your life without taking pics, being rude, tweeting, or watching movies (i don't)....but still have the smart phone because you will need one of those features randomly one day. 

Having a smart phone doesn't mean you HAVE to use all the features all day everyday. 

And to comment additionally on your post... if I am in a restaurant with someone, I like to give them my undivided attention. Now if my "dumb" phone rings or I get a text message, I will acknowledge it to make sure it isn't some type of emergency. But once that call is done I am back to where I am at. So many times I see people in groups at a restaurant, and everyone in the group is on their phone. What kind of experience is that? You may see it as "multitasking," but I see it is as a big distraction and even disrespectful. Enjoy the moment, and enjoy the people who you are with at that moment. I am sure whatever they are checking can wait.
It breaks my heart everytime i'm out at a restaurant and I see a parent with the kid and it's so obvious that the kid is dying to have of their parents attention and they play on their phone the entire time.  From young to old, male and female.  I be feeling so bad for those kids.  Parent's be taking the whole "multitasking" to another level. 

I choose not to have a smartphone. I see too many people literally addicted to always being online.

Of course the internet is a necessity in today's life but it's not healthy to constantly be logged on. The vast majority of people who are constantly logged on have no need for it.

They become slaves to their phone.

The argument regarding smartphones and drawing an inference as to whether the lack of one is a problem of affordability is specious at best.

There's a sizable subset of the population that owns a smartphone but are effectively broke.

Having a need for something and wanting something are 2 different things. Some people do not indulge (too much) in their wants.

There are a lot of things that I really want and that I can afford but which I do not purchase.

Last edited:
My own grandma has a smartphone, and doesn't know how to use it properly. I have to show her all the time. 

the point is you can live your life without taking pics, being rude, tweeting, or watching movies (i don't)....but still have the smart phone because you will need one of those features randomly one day. 

Having a smart phone doesn't mean you HAVE to use all the features all day everyday. 

The point I am trying to make is by me NOT being able to use whatever feature you may think I need, seriously going to affect my day and my life to the point where I HAVE to go out and buy a smartphone?

I think not.

Last edited:

The point I am trying to make is by me NOT being able to use whatever feature you may think I need, seriously going to affect my day and my life to the point where I HAVE to go out and buy a smartphone?

I think not.
The smart phone is like having a swiss army knife and a regular phone is a knife.  Why not pay a lil extra so you can open beer bottles, wine corks, use scissors, etc....

Like I said before some people are going against the grain on purpose. The last 2 pages are filled with real good reasons to own one. Everybodys life is different but by owning one you don't lose anything but you gain more. Owning one doesn't make you a zombie unless you let it.

I still have a "dumb phone." Having to pay for data with verizon is not worth it to me. Call it being cheap or whatever but I do not need internet 24/7. Functioned just fine long enough without it. Only major benefit for ME of having a smart phone would be for the gps. I do have an iPod Touch that serves as my smart device though. Have friends that have said that they have never met anyone who uses an iPod for as much as I do lol.

With that said, I can see myself getting a smartphone once I graduate.

Last edited:
Like I said before some people are going against the grain on purpose. The last 2 pages are filled with real good reasons to own one. Everybodys life is different but by owning one you don't lose anything but you gain more. Owning one doesn't make you a zombie unless you let it.

You still didn't answer my question though fam. You don't have to though I will let it go.

You still didn't answer my question though fam. You don't have to though I will let it go.
Honestly your question wasn't even clear.
Heres your answer.  Me and other members have already given plenty of things you would be missing out on.  By your phrasing and using the word "seriously" I assume you dont want to admit the truth.  If it was within your budget then why not have access to GPS, internet, email, online coupons, social networking, hotel/restaurant reviews, different apps, games?  Theres no reason not to. You can say I don't need those things.  OK we don't NEED alot of things but if its within your budget it makes your life easier.  Maybe you don't travel but when you are in a new place those things help. It just makes things easier that my only point.

Can you answer this question?  Does having a smartphone make your life easier?

If it was within your budget then why not have access to GPS, internet, email, online coupons, social networking, hotel/restaurant reviews, different apps, games?  Theres no reason not to. You can say I don't need those things.  OK we don't NEED alot of things but if its within your budget it makes your life easier. 

More $ saved.

Also I think it makes life easier for certain people

If it was within your budget then why not have access to GPS, internet, email, online coupons, social networking, hotel/restaurant reviews, different apps, games?  Theres no reason not to. You can say I don't need those things.  OK we don't NEED alot of things but if its within your budget it makes your life easier. 

More $ saved.

Also I think it makes life easier for certain people
How does it make life easier? because they don't have self-restraint and cant stay off it?

Alot of you act like the smart phone controls you and not vice versa

To me a smartphone makes life easier to the people that aren't prepared or always on the move, so they have the conveniences you listed, at their fingertips.

While others who plan out their day,do all of that before they leave the crib. 

To me a smartphone makes life easier to the people that aren't prepared or always on the move, so they have the conveniences you listed, at their fingertips.

While others who plan out their day,do all of that before they leave the crib. 
You tell me what saves more time.  What if you are prepared AND have a smart phone? 

Heres your answer.  Me and other members have already given plenty of things you would be missing out on.  By your phrasing and using the word "seriously" I assume you dont want to admit the truth.  If it was within your budget then why not have access to GPS, internet, email, online coupons, social networking, hotel/restaurant reviews, different apps, games?  Theres no reason not to. You can say I don't need those things.  OK we don't NEED alot of things but if its within your budget it makes your life easier.  Maybe you don't travel but when you are in a new place those things help. It just makes things easier that my only point.

My question was very clear. It was a simple yes or no question but you never answered it so I will just let it go. I will answer your question though.

Will a smartphone make my life easier?

Yes.

Will it make it easier to the point where I HAVE to have one?

No.

I have access to internet, email, online coupons, social networking, hotel/restaurant reviews, different apps, games, all at home. Is it absolutely necessary to have any or all of those things on the go? No. Will my quality of life decrease if I am missing one while I am out? No.

Ok... so I don't have gps. Is that the determining factor in me needing a smartphone? No.

I have be able to make and receive calls and text message while I am out. That's it. Nothing else you mentioned is a necessity to me.

My question was very clear. It was a simple yes or no question but you never answered it so I will just let it go. I will answer your question though.

Will a smartphone make my life easier?

Yes.

Will it make it easier to the point where I HAVE to have one?

No.

I have access to internet, email, online coupons, social networking, hotel/restaurant reviews, different apps, games, all at home. Is it absolutely necessary to have any or all of those things on the go? No. Will my quality of life decrease if I am missing one while I am out? No.

Ok... so I don't have gps. Is that the determining factor in me needing a smartphone? No.

I have be able to make and receive calls and text message while I am out. That's it. Nothing else you mentioned is a necessity to me.
Thank you.  Good night.

Thank you.  Good night.
its also not necessary 
laugh.gif

at least to me its not
just depends on the person
but you was acting as if someone who doesnt have one is broke

THATS JUST STUPID
its plenty of bum ***** dudes with smart phones

I remember when the first I phone came out and dude was showing us the GPS

dude didnt even have a damn car 

the hell you need that for

I dont need instagram I dont sit around and take random pics of things or the food i eat to post it

I dont even use the email address that i have now so thats not necessary 

I dont need a GPS on my phone when its in my truck already

some people just done use any of that so why pay for something your not going to use
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Thank you.  Good night.

Horrible reply, but I expected nothing less from you.

You never answered my question, and never provided justification why a smartphone was a necessity.

I feel like Adam Sandler in the movie Grown Ups. I feel like letting you win, because you need the victory more than I do.

GPS alone>*

i dunno how ya function without all da extra functionality of a smartphone..when im out and about i like to take nice pics of my environment,

if a song plays in da background and i dunno it but its dope ill scan it,

im ALWAYS in contact with my family thru FB, twitter, txt.

#NT lulz on da road,

shoppin on ebay,

streaming mixtapes off of datpiff or livemixtapes

like i said, you dont NEED it persay, but it makes your life so much easier., people with dumbphones in here justifyin them joints sounding like

cats justifying walkin around with a cassette player.

Thank you.  Good night.
Horrible reply, but I expected nothing less from you.

You never answered my question, and never provided justification why a smartphone was a necessity.

I feel like Adam Sandler in the movie Grown Ups. I feel like letting you win, because you need the victory more than I do.
Nothing in life is necessary tho.  So why make that argument?  I never said it was necessary I said it was pretty silly to not have one if it was within your budget because of the advantages. 

Its like a grown man not having a car and making the excuse that "I don't need one I live in the city"

Last edited:
You tell me what saves more time.  What if you are prepared AND have a smart phone? 
Were  not talking about time.
Nothing in life is necessary tho.  So why make that argument?  I never said it was necessary I said it was pretty silly to not have one if it was within your budget because of the advantages. 

Its like a grown man not having a car and making the excuse that "I don't need one I live in the city"
I see it as why pay extra for something you don't use or need. Yes it can help you but if you don't use it whats the point.

What if that grown man really doesn't need the car? In New York plenty of people don't have cars and I think ^^^Ninja doesnt have a car also(Not Sure).

All of my friends who live in the city, do not have cars. They all bring in over 6 figures and live in 3K+/month apartments. 

It's pretty foolish to judge people on a broad scale by the things they own. 

Back
Top Bottom