Where did Orlando Magic go wrong?

The player acquisitions and how they handle the roster. They should have never traded away Gortat, and trading away Courtney Lee. That team that went to the finals had a chance to go far if they did minor changes.

this just goes to show that Otis Smith is one of the worst GMs in the league. Even thought that Finals appearance was a fluke, the trades he made in giving away Gortat, Lewis, Lee and Bass were so bad.

^^ that is so true. Alston was doing great starting for nelson in those playoffs, but nelson "needed" to come back.
I was watching the magic play the celtics and there was like no offense whatsoever. It all looked very messy.
Without dwight they have nothing. If dwight leaves the team will be nonexistent. They rely too much on the three point line.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by DMan14

looks like dwight is done for season.

if your the owner, is it time to blow this thing up or still cater to an uncommitted dwight and hopes he stay?

fire stan?
new gm?
beg dwight and ask what he wants?
trade dwight and rebuild?
Should've done it earlier.

This.

If you mean how they got to this current team, I've been wanting to know the same. They had a Finals team (even though they got housed),
yet they blew it up making the most awful trades, and getting worse and worse every year. How they gave Rashad Lewis one of the largest
contracts before trading him still boggles my mind.
***EDIT: Or did the Magic take on Lewis' contract from the Wizards?

laugh.gif
i'd do like Kornhieser said and trade Dwight to the Bobcats just for the hell of it.

Originally Posted by gllahone84

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by DMan14

looks like dwight is done for season.

if your the owner, is it time to blow this thing up or still cater to an uncommitted dwight and hopes he stay?

fire stan?
new gm?
beg dwight and ask what he wants?
trade dwight and rebuild?
Should've done it earlier.

This.
They were going to trade him to the Lakers, but Dwight, being the crybaby he is didn't want to go and signed the opt in clause instead.

Skip bought a swag to the Magic that hasnt been recaptured. Keeping stan and otis was completely cheeks as well.

Originally Posted by JordanJayyy7

Courtney lee.

He had a good part in them making the finals. But they wasn't that good anyway they were Dwight and a bunch of jump shooters. Just like The Cavs they benefited from a weak EC. The east got better and they got exposed.

Originally Posted by gopowergoh

I think they should have given that finals team another shot. Maybe retool but not change things as drastically as they did.
This.
That was one talented team and with a healthy Jameer, I think they could've done some damage in 2010. Honestly, they should've just traded Howard because this whole thing is a distraction. 

SVG is not a great coach or a terrible coach... For the team he's got he's done well.. 

Management is to blame... Just a terribly run franchise..

After the TMac & GHill era, it was just a downhill slide of competence in that organization.

That was a weak eastern conference and Dwight Howard and the Magic were playing great defense. Hedo was playing great and so was Rashard Lewis.

Also, like someone said, Courtney Lee was making a difference too.

Back
Top Bottom