Where did Orlando Magic go wrong?

Originally Posted by PMatic

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Should've never traded Lewis for Arenas. Bringing Hedo back was bad too. However, what snowballed all of this was trading for VC.
At least that trade netted them Ryan Anderson, who's developed into the best player involved from that trade.
It was the Phoenix VC trade. Its fine if they traded Shard for Gil, thats no big deal. Trading back for Hedu was dumb.
SVG never trying Dwight at the 4 with Gortat was dumb too

Should've never traded Lewis for Arenas. Bringing Hedo back was bad too. However, what snowballed all of this was trading for VC.
At least that trade netted them Ryan Anderson, who's developed into the best player involved from that trade.
I know, but that trade changed the dynamics of that team & also allowed for them to make all the trades they made afterwards. Instead of letting those contracts expire, they tried to fix the team on the fly. Granted, they thought they could win now. However, in the end, that wasn't the case.

If I'm them now, I keep Dwight and hope to lure a disgruntled player w/ their cap space in 13-14. I'd even take a chance on Joe Johnson if the Hawks try to blow it up w/ Hedo's expiring deal.

I know, but that trade changed the dynamics of that team & also allowed for them to make all the trades they made afterwards. Instead of letting those contracts expire, they tried to fix the team on the fly. Granted, they thought they could win now. However, in the end, that wasn't the case.

If I'm them now, I keep Dwight and hope to lure a disgruntled player w/ their cap space in 13-14. I'd even take a chance on Joe Johnson if the Hawks try to blow it up w/ Hedo's expiring deal.
Touche.

They'll probably have to let Anderson walk for them to preserve any cap space going forward. Chris Duhon, Glen Davis, Jason and Quentin Richardson on the books in 2013-14.
laugh.gif

Touche.

They'll probably have to let Anderson walk for them to preserve any cap space going forward. Chris Duhon, Glen Davis, Jason and Quentin Richardson on the books in 2013-14.
laugh.gif
Honestly, if they can find someone to buy high on Anderson, I'd take that in a flash. S&T him if possible.

Originally Posted by gopowergoh

I think they should have given that finals team another shot. Maybe retool but not change things as drastically as they did.

I thought they had a nice team

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Not firing Otis and SVG last year.

Nelson should've been moved for a better 2nd option a while ago too. Bringing back Hedo made no sense.

Completely agree.
Also agree with not bringing back Gortat being a bad move.
AND also agree that trading Ryan now while his stock is high would be a boss move.

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

They brought Jameer Nelson back for the finals....

I agree with all that was mentioned here btwSkip was in a groove those playoffs and bringing back Nelson was our downfall.TMAC wanted to be traded anyways, that year.

So much truth in this thread smh. It's not even one of those deals where just cause we see it didn't work out now we can say it was bad, but even when they made all these moves it didn't make any sense.

Terrible acquisition after terrible acquisition. They made a bunch of desperation moves to keep Dwight happy and none of them worked out. GMing is a patient mans game.
Basically what everyone before me has said. Its amazing that they screwed it up this much

To be fair, it's not as if Orlando had OKC's talent and then totally dismantled the team and now they're in last place in the East.

They've still been pretty successful despite all these bad moves. I think people gave that Finals team way too much credit. Their formula was/is not reliable enough to make deep playoff runs and contend for a title every year. Remember, KG got hurt and wasn't playing when the Magic beat Boston and that was certainly a factor. And as much as people hated on Rashard, he was their 2nd leading scorer with 19 a game on nearly 40% 3pt shooting during those playoffs. Plus the whole team was just in sync and playing great basketball at the time. I also remember some people on here overrating Courtney Lee a whole lot. He was solid on that team in his role, but it's not like he's turned into that great of a player.

I place most of the blame on Otis, but I do understand the difficulty in trying to get back to the Finals and the pressures to do something. A more patient and smarter GM should have been looking ahead and managing his cap space better.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Not firing Otis and SVG last year.

Nelson should've been moved for a better 2nd option a while ago too. .

...yet ive said tese things for 3 years now and got flamed.

..told yall.

Originally Posted by sensaciondelbloque

I agree with all that was mentioned here btw Skip was in a groove those playoffs and bringing back Nelson was our downfall. TMAC wanted to be traded anyways, that year.

oh.

....yeah, said that too.

...ORL should have shipped Nelson out as soon as his shoulder healed. his market value was through the roof at that time. but of couse, i have no idea what im talking about
eyes.gif

Giving away Lee and Gortat for no reason. They had no other young prospects step up.

....dudes on here were to dumb to understand choosing Skip over Nelson doesnt mean Skip is better than Nelson at all. just that a Skip style type player was a better fit. it didnt have to be SKIP per say, just that Nelson was doing too much as a #2 option.

...and frankly, with all the pure shooters you've had on that squad over the years Nelson should have never been even the #2 option to begin with.

oh and, from 2009: http://niketalk.com/topic/154127/Does-Alston--Orlando--Cleveland-vol--Kenny-Smith--Chuck-said?page=3

You probably got "flamed" more because you're incredibly abrasive and annoying on here..

Bully for you.. congrats on "being right" and let's not forget you were the innovative genius who started "damb".. you're just on fire these days.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

You probably got "flamed" more because you're incredibly abrasive and annoying on here..

....go back and read the thread. there was NOTHING abrasive about what i initially said. 

...its funny though. you say something against the grain and those that dont agree are the ones to get foul first.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Bully for you.. congrats on "being right" and let's not forget you were the innovative genius who started "damb".. you're just on fire these days.

...thanks.
happy.gif

Trading Bass for Big Baby was another fail. Basically every move they've made besides getting Ryan Anderson was a fail. Drafting Orton was a low-key fail as well, just nobody barely remembers they even drafted the dude. I'd have to look back to see who they could have gotten but I'm positive they could have drafted somebody else that could have been making atleast a little of an impact. They should really utilize Earl Clark more too. Does anybody even remember they traded Ariza for Brian Cook and Maurice Evans?

im a magic fan so ill give u a quick rundown....first of all Otis being around is all that is really wrong smh

-but also giving up a promising young player in Courtney Lee for Vince Carter( the team hasn't been able to fill the 2 guard spot since then, we did get Ryan anderson though...but he might not even really sign wit us

-trading gortat for hedo and rashard Lewis for arenas
-wasting and getting no value out of any draft picks since Courtney lee
-trading bass for big baby

somehow the team manages to bring in worse talent around Dwight every year

Originally Posted by sensaciondelbloque

I agree with all that was mentioned here btw Skip was in a groove those playoffs and bringing back Nelson was our downfall. TMAC wanted to be traded anyways, that year.      

I'll never understand why they did this.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by frshstunna

im a magic fan so ill give u a quick rundown....first of all Otis being around is all that is really wrong smh

-but also giving up a promising young player in Courtney Lee for Vince Carter( the team hasn't been able to fill the 2 guard spot since then, we did get Ryan anderson though...but he might not even really sign wit us

-trading gortat for hedo and rashard Lewis for arenas
-wasting and getting no value out of any draft picks since Courtney lee
-trading bass for big baby

somehow the team manages to bring in worse talent around Dwight every year
Boston is winning for that one bass>>>>>>>>>>>>>>big baby

Really though....does nobody remember they traded Trevor Ariza to the Lakers for Brian Cook and Maurice Evans back in the 07-08 season? That's an underrated part of where it went wrong for them. Every good team needs that stretch athletic forward that can defend the other team's best perimeter player. If the Magic had him instead of the Lakers in the Finals in 2009 they might have beat the Lakers. Ariza had a great series, and playoffs overall...and Kobe destroyed the Magic for 30+ every game. Ariza would have done a better job than anybody on the Magic could have at defending Kobe. Dwight might have had a ring right now, and who knows how different things might have been for him and the Magic after that.

looks like dwight is done for season.

if your the owner, is it time to blow this thing up or still cater to an uncommitted dwight and hopes he stay?

fire stan?
new gm?
beg dwight and ask what he wants?
trade dwight and rebuild?

Originally Posted by DMan14

looks like dwight is done for season.

if your the owner, is it time to blow this thing up or still cater to an uncommitted dwight and hopes he stay?

fire stan?
new gm?
beg dwight and ask what he wants?
[color= rgb(0, 255, 0)]trade dwight and rebuild?[/color]
Should've done it earlier.

Back
Top Bottom