When will we see an openly gay athlete in a major professional sport?

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

50964166.jpg

image002.jpg

laugh.gif
dude is not gay, dude ***!+% a 16 yr. old girl
roll.gif
He maybe a pedophile but he damn sure aint gay.

Originally Posted by THE GR8

brandonb2005 wrote:
I think the day is soon. I mean if you asked people in the 30's if we would ever see a black athlete in the MLB I'm sure they would have said no.
True, but black people were desting to play in the MLB... With it being a negro league and all. No matter the color of skin of somebody. If they are good they are going to get their shot. Wasn't Jackie Robinson the 1st black baseball player and the best in the league at the same time
nerd.gif
?

You pretty much contradicted your whole point. Cant the same be said for gays?

What if someone is the best and the league AND gay? Would it matter than? Like you said, if theyre good theyre gonna get their shot
nerd.gif

Contradicted my whole point? I think not buddy!

Being gay and a different race is a huge diffrence
roll.gif

You know with today's media... they will destroy someone, who is a superstar that is gay!

Will the gay person still play at a highlevel who happens to be a superstar? Yes, probably but the way america is run they will eventually be bashed andconstantly commented on by everyone from the media, commentators, and fans.

laugh.gif
at comparing being gay and a different race.

Originally Posted by dland24

To ever be accepted, its going to take a superstar coming out of the closet.
nah a superstar wouldn't cut it.

it'd take a mega star, like if jordan came out tomorrow, billions of males will have to make major life decisions.

if penny is actually gay
sick.gif
mad.gif

I grew up watching Penny
smh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
good 1. i wonder how many straight males would rock this jersey with pride.
And getting his own shoe lines. Air Zoom Gay.
THIS is why it is so hard for gay men to come out. Sports has stopped being a measure of athleticism and become a measure of masculinity. As muchas we like to think we are a more enlightened society we simply are NOT. I was a tri-sport athlete in high school (football, basketball, and track) And i quitfootball my last two years because i could NOT STAND being around such neanderthal-esque attitudes that had NOTHING to do with football. Guys posturing abouthow tough they are and how many chicks they could nail and anyone not like them was gay and less of a man. Most of the guys in here have no idea what being areal man is, becuase it has nothing to do with how tough you are, who you can beat up, or how many women you can have sex with.

I love sports. I really do, but some of the filth that goes along with it sickens me.

People say it's just a joke, that gay men shouldn't take it so hard. But look at the reception Amechi got when he came out. More people sympathizedwith Tim Hardaway's ignorant comments. It was ridiculous.

I could write forever about this, but i know most of it is falling upon deaf ears in this board with 75% of the comments made about who's wife you wouldhit it with or how gay Glen Davis is and how it disgusts you.

Most of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Homosexual people struggle everyday with these problems or intolerance, but ironically enough most of the men onhere are too busy trying to impress other men.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

We already had one.
Penny Hardaway.
He was living with Jaleel White.

indifferent.gif
two millionaires being roommates.
If that aint open, what is?
Luke Walton and Richard Jefferson were living together for quite awhile. They were "roommates" in college and lived together up untillast year i think.

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

We already had one.
Penny Hardaway.
He was living with Jaleel White.

indifferent.gif
two millionaires being roommates.
If that aint open, what is?
Luke Walton and Richard Jefferson were living together for quite awhile. They were "roommates" in college and lived together up until last year i think.

Everyone knows about RJ's tendencies...

There are times when I want to type stuff on NT that I get from my boys in the Pro's, but I know theytell me things in confidence that I will not repeat it, and I will not. But I will say that one of NT's sentimental favorites (NBA) was one of the dudesthat was mentioned. Actually a few more come to think of it.

I know there are some other dudes in S&T that has a few connecs with pro athletes, and sometimes I see them puttingout information told to them by their boys. In my opinion that aint right, but hey, that's just my opinion I guess.

Originally Posted by ZoomJay25

if penny is actually gay
sick.gif
mad.gif

I grew up watching Penny
smh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
THIS is why it is so hard for gay men to come out. Sports has stopped being a measure of athleticism and become a measure of masculinity. As much as we like to think we are a more enlightened society we simply are NOT. I was a tri-sport athlete in high school (football, basketball, and track) And i quit football my last two years because i could NOT STAND being around such neanderthal-esque attitudes that had NOTHING to do with football. Guys posturing about how tough they are and how many chicks they could nail and anyone not like them was gay and less of a man. Most of the guys in here have no idea what being a real man is, becuase it has nothing to do with how tough you are, who you can beat up, or how many women you can have sex with.

I love sports. I really do, but some of the filth that goes along with it sickens me.

People say it's just a joke, that gay men shouldn't take it so hard. But look at the reception Amechi got when he came out. More people sympathized with Tim Hardaway's ignorant comments. It was ridiculous.

I could write forever about this, but i know most of it is falling upon deaf ears in this board with 75% of the comments made about who's wife you would hit it with or how gay Glen Davis is and how it disgusts you.

Most of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Homosexual people struggle everyday with these problems or intolerance, but ironically enough most of the men on here are too busy trying to impress other men.
I'm guessing you're gay?

Originally Posted by brandonb2005

I think the day is soon. I mean if you asked people in the 30's if we would ever see a black athlete in the MLB I'm sure they would have said no.
True, but black people were desting to play in the MLB... With it being a negro league and all. No matter the color of skin of somebody. If they are good they are going to get their shot. Wasn't Jackie Robinson the 1st black baseball player and the best in the league at the same time
nerd.gif
?

I hate when people compare homosexuality to ethnic minorities

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by brandonb2005

nerd.gif
?
I hate when people compare homosexuality to ethnic minorities

I understand that there is a difference in the prejudice towards being black as it is an outward appaerance unlike being Gay. It's unhideable so the hatebased off skin color is on another level.

While I understand the roots of homophobia in the black community, it is still pretty ironic that a group who was banned from fully particpating in societyjust 40 years ago are now trying to curb other people's human rights and are saying many of the same thing's that were once said about them.

It'll happen soon enough IMO.

laugh.gif
at people saying the player would get blackballed. I find that hard to believe. A league wouldn't let that happen. The bad PR would be overwhelming

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

It'll happen soon enough IMO.

laugh.gif
at people saying the player would get blackballed. I find that hard to believe. A league wouldn't let that happen. The bad PR would be overwhelming
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Sorry, I'm kind of immature.

P Mac, players have been ostracized for "less"

I think it can happen,

Honestly, there are players rite now who are gay, and damn near openly gay, and basically all of their teammates, fam of teammates know it.
TRUST me.

I think there are many gay players in every sport. Here in houston there was a list, i don't know if it was real or not, but some names where believable.Like Cuttino Mobley, Steve Francis, She-mac, etc. Most of the time you hear rumors from groupies and different people that are always on the scene. If someonemajor actually came out and said it, of course there would be some public backlash. For the most part it might be positive for those in the rainbow community.It would mos def shake up a locker room. Team management, might look at it as bad press.

[table][tr][td][/td] [td]
Originally Posted by ZoomJay25

if penny is actually gay
sick.gif
mad.gif

I grew up watching Penny
smh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

THIS is why it is so hard for gay men to come out. Sports has stopped being a measure of athleticism and become a measure of masculinity. As much as we like to think we are a more enlightened society we simply are NOT. I was a tri-sport athlete in high school (football, basketball, and track) And i quit football my last two years because i could NOT STAND being around such neanderthal-esque attitudes that had NOTHING to do with football. Guys posturing about how tough they are and how many chicks they could nail and anyone not like them was gay and less of a man. Most of the guys in here have no idea what being a real man is, becuase it has nothing to do with how tough you are, who you can beat up, or how many women you can have sex with.

People say it's just a joke, that gay men shouldn't take it so hard. But look at the reception Amechi got when he came out. More people sympathized with Tim Hardaway's ignorant comments. It was ridiculous.

I could write forever about this, but i know most of it is falling upon deaf ears in this board with 75% of the comments made about who's wife you would hit it with or how gay Glen Davis is and how it disgusts you.

Most of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Homosexual people struggle everyday with these problems or intolerance, but ironically enough most of the men on here are too busy trying to impress other men.
I'm guessing you're gay?
[/td] [/tr][/table]

The obvious response.

And my answer is.... does it matter? You can assume what you want. My being gay or not does not make my post any less right.

All you want to be able to do it write it off because if i DO happen to be gay, then i'm just a whiney little girl.

But if i'm straight, then it scares you that it is possible for someone to step outside what society SAYS you should be, and actually be a decent humanbeing.

I'm pretty sure you'll remain a coward and think whatever gives you the excuse to keep being an ignorant bigot.

Back
Top Bottom