Whats your Major? Vol. Hard choice...

Accounting.... I'm surpirsed there is only one other accounting major in here....

Salary should help you make your decision, not make your decision....

Broadcast Journalism.....but I quite so Now I work with the Athletic Directors for a High School.....
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by chino905

Double Majored in Sociology and Business Management

How's that working for you right now? I was thinking about double majoring in Sociology or Econ, since im a Business major.

Originally Posted by lysolflow

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

Originally Posted by hometownhero25

Major: Journalism
Minor: Music Business

Free tickets to concerts and sometimes get to interview artists FTW
How is that FTW when you can't get a over a 30K salary?
Some people rather be happy than worry about money. People with your outlook are the downfall of America.
GET THAT LOGIC OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have an obligation to your family and your future family to provide the best life possible. Period. Your selfishness and your pride is the downfall of America.
You must meet the duty of bringing home as much bread as possible or else you will be labeled as "useless" by your own family.
As much as I do not like how capitalism runs america and life. You either adapt to society or die.

How is earning a BA degree in english going to make you happy when you won't be able to find a job? unable to get through a door? unable to find opportunities like other majors? Life is about exploiting your opportunities. You have this window called college. America allow you to create your own success, except you venture to an area which entails tremendous risk?

Read the recent Nytimes article; 24 and broke.

It is my duty as a 1st American generation to pay dividends to my parents struggle. To at least match their hardwork if not succeed further.

My mother came here as an immigrant and with my father was able to purchase 2 new york city houses with all the mortgage paid off. If I become a 30k salary earner, I'm failing my parents.
You Americans don't know what struggle is.

shut up, boy... dont nobody care bout you and yo struggles... lol...

we all about gettin money and being happy in here... and yo "my cundree is dee greadest" aass gonna come in here and hull everybody...

no disrespect to my immagrant fams, newly Amercanized fams, and folks w/ peoples that just got over here... but i had to get at this guy... lol...
Co-sign. This guy watch too much American gangster flix thinking life is all about money
laugh.gif

Double Major in Communication Studies & Sociology - im graduating this year, probably hold off grad school for at least 3 years though
Getting into Marketing & PR work though (what ive been doing for the past couple years with my time off)

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Majoring in Business hopefully minoring in Sports Management. I want to be an agent.
Stick with business. Sports Management is not what its cracked up to be. You have to work your way up to get to that level. Its a very gruelingprocess from the bottom to top and shows who's made for the industry and who isn't. There were a few SPM majors on NT. If you want info make a threadand ask. The answers might turn you off. You have to be on your grind. My school has one of the premier programs in the country and out of the majority thatare in the SPM program only a handful will actually be doing something sports related when its all said and done.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Majoring in Business hopefully minoring in Sports Management. I want to be an agent.
Stick with business. Sports Management is not what its cracked up to be. You have to work your way up to get to that level. Its a very grueling process from the bottom to top and shows who's made for the industry and who isn't. There were a few SPM majors on NT. If you want info make a thread and ask. The answers might turn you off. You have to be on your grind. My school has one of the premier programs in the country and out of the majority that are in the SPM program only a handful will actually be doing something sports related when its all said and done.
True, but minoring in it won't hurt him. Just know that if you want to make it in that field you have to get involved with one of the sportsteams at your university and network early.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Stick with business. Sports Management is not what its cracked up to be. You have to work your way up to get to that level. Its a very grueling process from the bottom to top and shows who's made for the industry and who isn't. There were a few SPM majors on NT. If you want info make a thread and ask. The answers might turn you off. You have to be on your grind. My school has one of the premier programs in the country and out of the majority that are in the SPM program only a handful will actually be doing something sports related when its all said and done.
True, but minoring in it won't hurt him. Just know that if you want to make it in that field you have to get involved with one of the sports teams at your university and network early.
True as well. I never discouraged him from pursuing SPM as a minor, I just wanted to let him know the real deal and how its not all Drew Rosenhauson ESPN. The sports industry is one in which you pay your dues before achieving true success. Networking is very important. If a speaker comes to your class,talk with them for a few minutes after class and exchange info. You might get an internship out of it if you keep tabs with him/her.

BS-- Molecular and Cell Biology
BA-- Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
BFA-- Studio Art, concentration: Illustration
Minor-- English

Why have I appropriated such an academic workload for myself? Well, simply stated-- the world is way too complex, and its inherent KNOWLEDGE is much tooprofound, to limit myself to just one school of thought, and one avenue of perception and understanding. Ideally, I would love to add math and some field ofengineering (simply because I'm becoming very curious of those fields) but my dad would honestly slit my throat if he found out I was planning on spendingmore time, than I already have, in academia...
laugh.gif

As I've stated before on matters relating to higher education-- colleges, universities, and other arenas of higher-level academia should only be reservedfor those individuals seeking KNOWLEDGE with the sole intent of bettering the entire human condition via a holistic apprehension of the natural workings of ourworld.

That said, I think people do themselves a great disservice by going to college and "majoring" in one field, and one field alone. We're alltransient tenants in this very dynamic world. So while here, why not aim to assimilate as much as possible before that final eviction. Just imagine the amountof KNOWLEDGE that could potentially be inherited by future generations, and the amount of "good" that could be done with that kind of KNOWLEDGE,which makes the betterment of the human condition precedent over everything else.

But who am I kiddin'. Giving the choice between KNOWLEDGE and money, people would pick the latter simply because we live in an American society, and quitepossible--a global society--where material possessions trump all. So as soon as most youngsters matriculate into college--what do most of 'em do--theyclamor for the "money" degrees; which interestingly enough, more often than not, will teach you to "follow"and perform repetitivealgorithms, instead of teaching you to "think", inquire, question, and challenge all that surrounds you.

Realtalk, a philosophy degree should hold so much more weight than a finance degree. But as previously mentioned, or rather, as previously alluded too--we livein a society where money, and those none-essentials it affords, talks. Therefore, in our very artificial society, an artificial degree like finance (hope Iaint ruffling any feathers) will always be more coveted than a real, and academically archaic and distinguished, degree like philosophy.

davidisgodly

You go on ahead and keep thinking money is everything. I guarantee you will be miserable in life with that mentality...
tired.gif

I'm not a business major, nor am in medicine, nor do I desire to practice law. I do not follow where the money is flowing. But I am realistic.

I'm where i'm suppose to be and what I want to be. Civil Engineering.

People will not agree with me. Nope, it's not a kind notion. But believe me I am not alone. Please read comments on nytimes.com on the 24 and no jobarticle I previously mentioned. 140+ comments.

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

Minor-- English

Why have I appropriated such an academic workload for myself? Well, simply stated-- the world is way too complex, and its inherent KNOWLEDGE is much too profound, to limit myself to just one school of thought, and one avenue of perception and understanding. Ideally, I would love to add math and some field of engineering (simply because I'm becoming very curious of those fields) but my dad would honestly slit my throat if he found out I was planning on spending more time, than I already have, in academia...
laugh.gif

As I've stated before on matters relating to higher education-- colleges, universities, and other arenas of higher-level academia should only be reserved for those individuals seeking KNOWLEDGE with the sole intent of bettering the entire human condition via a holistic apprehension of the natural workings of our world.

That said, I think people do themselves a great disservice by going to college and "majoring" in one field, and one field alone. We're all transient tenants in this very dynamic world. So while here, why not aim to assimilate as much as possible before that final eviction. Just imagine the amount of KNOWLEDGE that could potentially be inherited by future generations, and the amount of "good" that could be done with that kind of KNOWLEDGE, which makes the betterment of the human condition precedent over everything else.

But who am I kiddin'. Giving the choice between KNOWLEDGE and money, people would pick the latter simply because we live in an American society, and quite possible--a global society--where material possessions trump all. So as soon as most youngsters matriculate into college--what do most of 'em do--they clamor for the "money" degrees; which interestingly enough, more often than not, will teach you to "follow"and perform repetitive algorithms, instead of teaching you to "think", inquire, question, and challenge all that surrounds you.

Realtalk, a philosophy degree should hold so much more weight than a finance degree. But as previously mentioned, or rather, as previously alluded too--we live in a society where money, and those none-essentials it affords, talks. Therefore, in our very artificial society, an artificial degree like finance (hope I aint ruffling any feathers) will always be more coveted than a real, and academically archaic and distinguished, degree like philosophy.

davidisgodly

You go on ahead and keep thinking money is everything. I guarantee you will be miserable in life with that mentality...
tired.gif

pimp.gif
... Very well said brotha. Very well said.

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

Minor-- English

Why have I appropriated such an academic workload for myself? Well, simply stated-- the world is way too complex, and its inherent KNOWLEDGE is much too profound, to limit myself to just one school of thought, and one avenue of perception and understanding. Ideally, I would love to add math and some field of engineering (simply because I'm becoming very curious of those fields) but my dad would honestly slit my throat if he found out I was planning on spending more time, than I already have, in academia...
laugh.gif

As I've stated before on matters relating to higher education-- colleges, universities, and other arenas of higher-level academia should only be reserved for those individuals seeking KNOWLEDGE with the sole intent of bettering the entire human condition via a holistic apprehension of the natural workings of our world.

That said, I think people do themselves a great disservice by going to college and "majoring" in one field, and one field alone. We're all transient tenants in this very dynamic world. So while here, why not aim to assimilate as much as possible before that final eviction. Just imagine the amount of KNOWLEDGE that could potentially be inherited by future generations, and the amount of "good" that could be done with that kind of KNOWLEDGE, which makes the betterment of the human condition precedent over everything else.

But who am I kiddin'. Giving the choice between KNOWLEDGE and money, people would pick the latter simply because we live in an American society, and quite possible--a global society--where material possessions trump all. So as soon as most youngsters matriculate into college--what do most of 'em do--they clamor for the "money" degrees; which interestingly enough, more often than not, will teach you to "follow"and perform repetitive algorithms, instead of teaching you to "think", inquire, question, and challenge all that surrounds you.

Realtalk, a philosophy degree should hold so much more weight than a finance degree. But as previously mentioned, or rather, as previously alluded too--we live in a society where money, and those none-essentials it affords, talks. Therefore, in our very artificial society, an artificial degree like finance (hope I aint ruffling any feathers) will always be more coveted than a real, and academically archaic and distinguished, degree like philosophy.

pimp.gif
I agree completely.

^Care to weigh in cardizzle?

JohnnyRedStorm+Law-ò Yeah I'm aware it's a lot of work and networking. My aunt was one of the head secretaries at a huge agency in New York but thename escapes me right now, and she still has connections there. One of my good friends is a top basketball recruit. I have a lot of friends on the baseballteam at my school. Plus I'm in MD. I can just spend my days cruising the streets of PG County and pick up some of the best basketball recruits around lol.I know I'm gonna have to work my +%% off but I'm ready.

Back
Top Bottom