What's the point in carrying cash?

What happened?
nerd.gif
Someone I knew for years got a hold of my credit card info. He owned a store that I would visit and use my card at. Slowly siphoned out a lot of money over a few months. At the time I wasn't checking my statements (stupid, naive, I know) so I didn't notice for a minute.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I know people who were stuck in NO during Hurricane Katrina and they got out quicker because they had cash.

I know that's a bit extreme, but when disaster strikes, that card will likely get you nowhere.

So I keeps a stack on me.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I know people who were stuck in NO during Hurricane Katrina and they got out quicker because they had cash.

I know that's a bit extreme, but when disaster strikes, that card will likely get you nowhere.

So I keeps a stack on me.
that's real

For those not using a credit card, what's your interest rate on your car payments? Mortgage? It's gotta be much higher than a normal person who has credit history.

Kinda grown man doesn't carry any cash? Hop in a quick cab, quick round of drinks at the bar before being seated, a small tip here or there, grab a bite at the food stand/truck, last call and you just dropped in for one, etc. Cash is convenient.

For those not using a credit card, what's your interest rate on your car payments? Mortgage? It's gotta be much higher than a normal person who has credit history.

Lol wut!?!?!

Cash for everyday use. Keep at least 50 on me at all times.

Debit card is always with me for unexpected things 50 won't cover.

Credit card for large purchases and shopping. Credit card stays in the safe until I need it.

Last edited:
Helps me budget better. The cash I got is all I got felt for the month after paying the bills, saving and sending my mom money. I know I can blow what's left on whatever I want.

And then you got: tipping, to pay for haircuts, to give to homeless people.

Not true. Mine is actually lower than some with great credit history. But for the most part if you're using CASH that means you're probably paying everything in full or close to it.

C.R.E.A.M. :pimp:

Last edited:
I actually converted from using 95% card to using cash only. Every week when I get paid, I withdraw a certain amount I'm allowed to spend and try not to go over. My spending was getting out of control and using straight cash was the only way to curb the spending. (And it actually works) With that said, I only carry $20-40 at a time so I don't blow everything at once lol.

The only time I regret not liking cash is them late nights and the taco truck posted on the corner before you get home, but no cash = no tacos

Not true. Mine is actually lower than some with great credit history. But for the most part if you're using CASH that means you're probably paying everything in full or close to it.

If you're paying in full then evidently you don't have a car payment or mortgage right.

If your whip cost 25,000 and you put down 15,000, how high is the interest rate on that last 10,000 for a person with no credit history? Vs the dude who puts down $5,000 and his credit score is 780, what's his interest rate?

Car paid for in cash, and mortgage below current market rates.

I used to use a credit card for everything. Then once I heard the studies about using cash, decided to give it a try. First switched from credit to debit (spend 7% less w/ debit vs. credit), then from debit to cash primarily. Still use the card for gas & online purchases but everything else is cash. I've saved at least $1000/yr. just in purchase behavior modification and still get back $300/yr. in rewards from gas.

When I was younger I paid everything in debit or CC. Now, I usually pay in cash. Many customers pay in cash in my line of business(nothing illegal) so I always have cash on me. Only time I use debit is when I don't have enough money on me or buying crap on the web.

you guys remember when shoegeek paid for his new Scion in cash years ago :lol: :smokin

I tend to be more loose with cash 
mean.gif

That's why I hate carrying it.. I feel like when I see I spend it for no damb reason.

I like using cash because its easier to keep track of my money like that.

When I use my debit card at restaurants I often forget how much tip I left.

Also in most cases returns can be a pain in the *** if they processed the transactions as credit. Might be cases I need the money back immediately to make the purchase somewhere else.

Also fraud sucks when it happens on your debit card. It some cases if the merchant charges your personal account hundreds of dollars you might be out the money for days until your bank figures it out. In many cases leaving your account overdrawn.

If you're paying in full then evidently you don't have a car payment or mortgage right.

If your whip cost 25,000 and you put down 15,000, how high is the interest rate on that last 10,000 for a person with no credit history? Vs the dude who puts down $5,000 and his credit score is 780, what's his interest rate?

The more money you put down on a car, especially a new one, the more generous the dealers and banks become when trying to find you the lowest rate possible. I can only speak from my experiences though.

My first car had an interest rate of 1.75% and I had no credit history. Paid the majority of it in cash upfront, drove off the lot with the car and no co-signer. I had 18 months to pay the remaining balance or my rate would've jumped up to about 7% after that timeframe. I paid it off in about 8 months and ever since then I've no problems getting any car I want along with the lowest rate possible if I choose not to pay in full.

Last edited:
Chase sapphire preferred member checking in.

Instant respect when you hand the unsuspecting cashier a metal card.

Hate carrying cash because I hate getting spare change back. Racking up points on your debit/CC >

not carrying cash is ideal when youre in familiar areas/restaruants/shops.

i tend to carry cash when i travel though.

citi bank member here, they have citi bank atms at 7-11's ( which are everywhere) dont gotta worry about atm fees or finding my bank in an unknown are. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom