What's The Lowest Grade Level You'll Go Inside A Restaurant? I Feel Disgusted Now

Reading this thread has made it obvious to me that I don't eat out at restaurants that much. Can anyone school me on this letter grade deal? Does every restaurant have this displayed on a sign somewhere or something? From reading the OP's post, sounded like the letter grade was at at the actual place and not an online review?

Same happened here. Old high end Chinese food restaurant in the neighborhood with the most amazing Chinese food ever just got hit with the orange C. Seemed to be the death of it because it used to be packed but now all you see is tumbleweeds inside.. :smh:

Chinese restaurant by my crib got an F due to mental health issues of a worker in there. Never tried their food.

Reading this thread has made it obvious to me that I don't eat out at restaurants that much. Can anyone school me on this letter grade deal? Does every restaurant have this displayed on a sign somewhere or something? From reading the OP's post, sounded like the letter grade was at at the actual place and not an online review?

Health inspector grades, usually at the front window so that is can be visible by guests. Grades are pretty much based on food temperatures, storage, and cleanliness.

There is no D/F they will just shut you down. If you receive a C they give you a period to fix the problem or they will shut you down.

Yeah, i dont know how it is in our states but in New York A lot of restaurants have a paper on the front door with a grade on it. No matter what grade it is they have to display it. It can be an F and they have to put it up for people to see.

This is what it looks like

Last edited:
Health inspector grades, usually at the front window so that is can be visible by guests. Grades are pretty much based on food temperatures, storage, and cleanliness.
There is no D/F they will just shut you down. If you receive a C they give you a period to fix the problem or they will shut you down.

Yeah, i dont know how it is in our states but in New York A lot of restaurants have a paper on the front door with a grade on it. No matter what grade it is they have to display it. It can be an F and they have to put it up for people to see.
This is what it looks like

Thanks for the replies. That's interesting; I don't think I've ever seen or noticed any inspection grades. My mind is blown how oblivious I must have been at not ever noticing these signs (if they're at every restaurant universally). I've lived in Cali, Texas and Arizona if that matters.

You like C food. It's okay. Embrace it. Or ask to owner to clean it up if you guys have known each other.

I've never seen or noticed one prominently displayed either. It's still kind of a joke to me anyways because even if you totally fall and they find rat feces, bird feces, food too close to the bathroom, etc. they only shut you down for 24hrs. Then even if it is a clean restaurant, your server could be a total douche and **** with your food.

The tex-mex spot around my way closed last yr due to a failed inspection. One week later, same tex-mex, new name was open for business.

As for me, its usually A or nothing. However, my girl (who seems to be oblivious to many things concerning cleanliness :x) took me to a spanish spot with a B rating. The chicken was good though, but I won't be going back.

Come on now!  If its an A, then the chinese food is americanized and over priced.  You need that C for the extra flavoring.  B is borderline.  

not necessarily. i can see some lowkey spots that are A grade but keep them prices low. just a matter of knowing the spots i guess...easier said than done in chinatown, ny tho :x

never noticed that restaurants received grades, much less seen a big bold letter on a paper being displayed.

don't eem care. :lol: will continue eat wherever i think is good, but i'm pretty picky anyway so that keeps me away from a lot of things.

as long as the place doesn't look dirty or i don't find **** in my food, i'm good. 8)

never seen this and i'm a cook. my place did get inspected randomly last week. only point we lost was for not having caulking between a prep table and a wall.

Come on now!  If its an A, then the chinese food is americanized and over priced.  You need that C for the extra flavoring.  B is borderline.  

TRUTH :smokin dont care if its grimey but in 626 i LOOK for spots with B grades. A grade gets you panda express and all that fake orange chicken ****. B or C = AUTHENTIC chinese experience hahaha. they re-use the pots and pans so when you order one dish you get alll the mixed flavors of everything!

Not too long ago i ate at a taco bell with an "A" and the place looked clean snd the food tasted fresh. A couple weeks later i went to a taco bell with a "grade pending" (i was clearly desperate ) and ordered the samelast food....food tasted so stale. Veggies did not look fresh, everything just looked like it was left out for days and just heated up. Did not enjoy my food at all.

Needless to say I'm only messing with places with A grades. Theres no excuse for a place to have anything lower

if the place says grade pending, that means that the inspector already went and they either got a B or a C

if they got that, they have the option between showing that, or a grade pending.

the problem with alot of ethic restaurants is that, ethnic ingredients sometimes are purposely stored in ways that the health department sees wrong.

the Health department comes, as soon as you open and give you a grade, if you get an A, they come in the next 3-4 months, if you get an A again, they don't come back for 6 months, if you get an A again, i think its every 9 months, and then every once a year.

At my restaurant, they pay a private company to come in and act as if they were a grade inspector, they give us a list of every small detail, and then we fix it for when the real health department comes. funny thing is though, that the government inspectors are all nobodys, no real training.. except for maybe a couple small courses and are very biased.

i remember being manager at this small place, and when the inspector came.. we just talked about how alot of girls come and get drunk, and he barely checked and gave us an A.. the place where i am now.. has very high standards, and the inspectors we get always seem to try to find something wrong, even though we are very clean.

someone who really knows food, can see the quality of the food when its actually in front of their face.
i have been to places where they have an A, and when i get the food, i can tell if the lobster that they are giving me has been refrigerated at its correct temperature, just by smelling it.

Last edited:
If it is not an A im not eating there.

The other day we hit up my favorite Peruvian spot "Marios" Pull up, get out of the car, walk to the door and I see a "B" Im standing there disgusted and sad lol Walked back to the car, ended up eating somewhere else.

Last edited:
My cutoff is a B. The margin of error from an "A" to a "B" is minuscule.

I didn't go to my favorite sushi spot for over a year when they had a "C",until they went back to an "A".

Back
Top Bottom