Whats the HARDEST position to play in ALL OF SPORTS???

For sure QB, and soccer/hockey goalie, would be insane.

and cornerback would be rediculously hard imo..

The catcher doesn't get the recognition as a quarterback in the NFL. Not once have I heard "I want to be a catcher in the majors when I grow up!"It's more like "I want to be a centerfielder" or "I want to be a 1st baseman". Who really wants to become a catcher? There's areason why players are hesitant to be catchers.

They have to call a game based on what the starting pitcher has on that given day. If the pitcher doesn't have his sinker working, he has to call the gamea bit differently. The catcher is the only player on the field that can see where everybody else is positioned. The catcher has to stay aware and relay signalsfor this defense to be positioned correctly. Also, the grueling punishment they take on a nightly basis. They are in a squat for 9 innings, 162 games a year.Not to mention, the foul tips they get to the helmet, chest protector, inner thigh, and so forth. Sometimes, they even get the head on collision of abaserunner trying to score by knocking the ball out. Mike Matheny had his career ended by a baserunner colliding into him on a play. It takes mental andphysical toughness to play that position.

quarterback and cornerbacks who play in schemes where they primarily play man coverage with little help over the top

Quarterbacks for sure....u have to make so many decisions and you just have to not get fazed by pressure. if you mess up on one play (even a handoff), youcould cost your team the game. if the o-line, WR, RB, etc. are playing well you have a better chance but it's still up to the QB to make it happen.

Cornerback like others have said-at least man to man, there are so few true "shutdown" corners for a reason

i actually think PG isn't as bad as it looks...

Originally Posted by TrillipinoTrapstar

Football - QB(you're responsible for the whole offense)
Basketball - PG (see QB)
Baseball - Pitcher (timing, location, and velocity of your throw matters)
Hockey - Goalie

Not every team relies on their PG to be responsible for the whole offense. It really just depends on the team and/or the individual player. So you havesomeone like Nash/C.Paul/Kidd... now those fits the description of being responsible for the whole offense. And then you have bums like Smush Parker... forwhat? To just inbound the ball and get the hell out of the way.
laugh.gif

Somy point is, I don't think its right to generalize that the PG position is the hardest position in Basketball. It just really depends on the team'soffensive style or on the PG's individual ability. Just my opinion though.
wink.gif

ya'll are sraight up ******ed if you think that being a hockey goalie is easy. It's by far the HARDEST position to play in hockey. It's not likeevery shot that you see with be uncontested. You have to fight to see through screens, deflections, and not to mention shots going 100 mph+. You all are quickto discredit something that you have no clue what you are talking about. You all don't take into account the balance, flexibility, and overall athleticismthat pro hockey goalies have. More often than not, hockey goalies are the most athletic players on the ice. If you take the time to actually watch a game, thenyou would know what I am talking about....

my vote goes to the QB though. There are so many nuances/responsibilities that go into the position which makes it the hardest IMO to play in all professionalsports. You have to read defenses which can change before every snap. You have to make quick decisions even before the ball is snapped.

Baseball catcher. It's hard to find a great one, and it's hard to be an everyday catcher. Crouching for 3 hours can be a pain. Plus you have to produceat the plate, which is probably the hardest thing in sports. Hitting a 90mph or faster pitch. Not to mention, you don't just catch a ball, you have toprotect the plate, understand situations and help the pitcher select the best pitch for that situation... and you have to deal with base runners and trying toget out of your crouching position and making a solid throw to beat that runner.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by adidas All Day I Dream About Shoes

I was being sarcastic...but honestly, I can't see how it is that hard...you have to cover 1 foot of space...
It's not hard at all.

As a matter of fact, I know of six professional goalies that live on my street alone.

Super, what the heck does that have anything to do with goalies being a tough position?
roll.gif

he was being sarcastic and saying it's soooo easy that anyone can do it. i nfact there are six living on his block alone. Sarcasm.
unless ofcourse he's from Quebec or Minnesota. In which case, I could see him being totally sincere with that statement.

It depends what your definition of "hard" is. Physically hard? Mentally hard? A lot of pressure on you?

But I can assure you that noone in any team sport runs as much as a soccer defender. They can run up to 8 miles per game.

NFL QB - insane amount of information to process in such a quick period of time

Catcher, easy. After that it's either Pitcher or Goalie (Soccer or Hockey). The catcher is basically responsible for the entire teams strategy. He has toknow every hitters tendencies, every defender on his team, and every pitcher on his team. He signals every pitch in the game. Not to mention that part where hesquats all game.

I think being a pitcher is very difficult. You have to be mentally tough. But i've never played QB or Hockey Goalie so I don't know what thosepositions are like

I coach both baseball and football. Many of you have made good points about the importance of a good catcher and I agree that it is important for the catcherto be a smart player. However, the manager signals every pitch to the catcher and the catcher relays the information to the pitcher. Yes, there are thosecatchers who are given the right to call the game on their own, but the vast majority of them are told by the coaches which pitch to call, where the pitch isto be thrown, and how they want the defense aligned. Watch a game sometime; before every pitch the catcher will look over into the dugout. It is because theyare in constant communication with the manager that so many of them become managers. It's like on-the-job training. The chief contribution a good catchermakes has been overlooked by all of you: He manages the pitcher, controls the pace of the pitcher, and goes to the mound to settle the pitcher down if thingsare going bad or the pitcher seems to have a flaw in his mental approach, sort of a sports psychologist on the field.

A QB also has the plays called for him, but he still has to go through his progression, under threat of being sacked and hurt, in a very short period of time.He is required to consistently make throws to moving targets who are being covered by people attempting to either prevent the pass from being completed orintercept the pass and score.

A catcher is always throwing to an undefended target without the threat that his throw might be intercepted and could potentially cost his team points. Mostoften, a catcher is called upon to throw a runner out at second and there are not many guys in baseball who are going to score on an overthrow to second.Typically, they advance to third and the score does not change. Additionally, whereas the QB has to remember dozens of plays, each receiver's andback's alignment and pattern, a catcher need only remember the types of pitches his current pitcher is able to throw. Most starting pitchers have about 3good pitches: A fastball, an off-speed pitch, and a pitch with movement (curve, splitter, slider). Some have a couple more, but the catcher has nowhere nearthe number of things to remember that a QB does.

Also, you cannot overstate the impact the threat of being bodily injured has on the difficulty of a given position. A catcher gets to perform his tasks freefrom the threat of anybody crashing into him to prevent him from executing his task (except at plays at the plate which are rare in comparison to how many runsare scored without a close play at the plate). Further, if your starting pitcher is dominating that day, a catcher might not make a single throw to second inthe course of the entire game. Even when a team does get a runner on, the number of stolen base attempts has greatly diminished in the last 15-20 years due tovast improvements in slide-step techniques employed by pitchers and the lack of emphasis on small ball on the part of managers.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

ya'll are sraight up ******ed if you think that being a hockey goalie is easy. It's by far the HARDEST position to play in hockey. It's not like every shot that you see with be uncontested. You have to fight to see through screens, deflections, and not to mention shots going 100 mph+. You all are quick to discredit something that you have no clue what you are talking about. You all don't take into account the balance, flexibility, and overall athleticism that pro hockey goalies have. More often than not, hockey goalies are the most athletic players on the ice. If you take the time to actually watch a game, then you would know what I am talking about....

my vote goes to the QB though. There are so many nuances/responsibilities that go into the position which makes it the hardest IMO to play in all professional sports. You have to read defenses which can change before every snap. You have to make quick decisions even before the ball is snapped.
truth. As a canadian (even you Americans from the north know whats up) playing hockey is like breathing up here no matter what race you are and trustme when i tell you a goalie is one of the hardest positions to play. hand/eye coordination, flexibility, preciseness, and the pressure of being that dude thatwins or looses the game...i know i know all sports have that so i agree with everyone haha

Bo55 - you're neglecting some important things about being a catcher... at the highest level of baseball, you not only have to do all the things involvedwith just catching pitches - but you've gotta be able to call a game, position fielders, AND you have to be able to hit at a high level too.

Offense AND defense... which other sport has such a position? None. Goalies in hockey and soccer have tough jobs, but that's their only job... theydon't have to move down to the other end of things and take shots later on, too.

And hitting a baseball is only like.. what, the hardest thing to do in sports by some people's account?

im actually amazed hockey goalie is getting some recognition. its def one hard position. catching in baseball is also ranks high. but in the end, i still thinkQB is the toughest.

playing bench is the hardest position...... you wanna b out there playing but at the same time you have to be the moral supporter which you know you hatecheering for them cause uw ant tehre spot

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Bo55 - you're neglecting some important things about being a catcher... at the highest level of baseball, you not only have to do all the things involved with just catching pitches - but you've gotta be able to call a game, position fielders, AND you have to be able to hit at a high level too.

Offense AND defense... which other sport has such a position? None. Goalies in hockey and soccer have tough jobs, but that's their only job... they don't have to move down to the other end of things and take shots later on, too.

And hitting a baseball is only like.. what, the hardest thing to do in sports by some people's account?

�See Rogerio Ceni, Amelia (Italy's second goal keeper, in his club's game (Livorno) against some other team), etc. etc.

edit: Some vid's

first amelia
pimp.gif

now ceni

P.S. I am not saying this is normal, but there are exceptions
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Bo55 - you're neglecting some important things about being a catcher... at the highest level of baseball, you not only have to do all the things involved with just catching pitches - but you've gotta be able to call a game, position fielders, AND you have to be able to hit at a high level too.

Offense AND defense... which other sport has such a position? None. Goalies in hockey and soccer have tough jobs, but that's their only job... they don't have to move down to the other end of things and take shots later on, too.

The manager dictates the pitch call and player alignment and the catcher relays them to the players, a fact I already addressed.

Also, allowances are often made for a catcher's inability to hit if he is defensively capable. Here is a comparison of catchers and position players interms of offensive ability:
[table][tr][td]Catchers (Top 3)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RK[/td] [td]PLAYER[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td] AB[/td] [td] R[/td] [td] H[/td] [td] 2B[/td] [td] 3B[/td] [td] HR[/td] [td] RBI[/td] [td] SB[/td] [td] CS[/td] [td] BB[/td] [td] SO[/td] [td] BA[/td] [td] OBP[/td] [td] SLG[/td] [td] OPS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]Russell Martin[/td] [td]LAD[/td] [td]540[/td] [td]87[/td] [td]158[/td] [td]32[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]87[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]67[/td] [td]89[/td] [td].293[/td] [td].374[/td] [td].469[/td] [td].843[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td]Bengie Molina[/td] [td]SFO[/td] [td]497[/td] [td]38[/td] [td]137[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]53[/td] [td].276[/td] [td].298[/td] [td].433[/td] [td].731[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]Brian McCann[/td] [td]ATL[/td] [td]504[/td] [td]51[/td] [td]136[/td] [td]38[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]18[/td] [td]92[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]35[/td] [td]74[/td] [td].270[/td] [td].320[/td] [td].452[/td] [td].772[/td] [/tr][/table]

All Positions
[table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]RK[/td] [td]PLAYER[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td] AB[/td] [td] R[/td] [td] H[/td] [td] 2B[/td] [td] 3B[/td] [td] HR[/td] [td] RBI[/td] [td] SB[/td] [td] CS[/td] [td] BB[/td] [td] SO[/td] [td] BA[/td] [td] OBP[/td] [td] SLG[/td] [td] OPS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]Matt Holliday[/td] [td]COL[/td] [td]636[/td] [td]120[/td] [td]216[/td] [td]50[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]36[/td] [td]137[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]63[/td] [td]126[/td] [td].340[/td] [td].405[/td] [td].607[/td] [td]1.012[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td]Chipper Jones[/td] [td]ATL[/td] [td]513[/td] [td]108[/td] [td]173[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]29[/td] [td]102[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]75[/td] [td].337[/td] [td].425[/td] [td].604[/td] [td]1.029[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]Chase Utley[/td] [td]PHI[/td] [td]530[/td] [td]104[/td] [td]176[/td] [td]48[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]22[/td] [td]103[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]50[/td] [td]89[/td] [td].332[/td] [td].410[/td] [td].566[/td] [td].976[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]Edgar Renteria[/td] [td]ATL[/td] [td]494[/td] [td]87[/td] [td]164[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]57[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]46[/td] [td]77[/td] [td].332[/td] [td].390[/td] [td].470[/td] [td].860[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]Hanley Ramirez[/td] [td]FLA[/td] [td]639[/td] [td]125[/td] [td]212[/td] [td]48[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]29[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]51[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]52[/td] [td]95[/td] [td].332[/td] [td].386[/td] [td].562[/td] [td].948[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td]Albert Pujols[/td] [td]STL[/td] [td]565[/td] [td]99[/td] [td]185[/td] [td]38[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]32[/td] [td]103[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]99[/td] [td]58[/td] [td].327[/td] [td].429[/td] [td].568[/td] [td].997[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]David Wright[/td] [td]NYM[/td] [td]604[/td] [td]113[/td] [td]196[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]107[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]94[/td] [td]115[/td] [td].325[/td] [td].416[/td] [td].546[/td] [td].963[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [td]Miguel Cabrera[/td] [td]FLA[/td] [td]588[/td] [td]91[/td] [td]188[/td] [td]38[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]119[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]127[/td] [td].320[/td] [td].401[/td] [td].565[/td] [td].965[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [td]Todd Helton[/td] [td]COL[/td] [td]557[/td] [td]86[/td] [td]178[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]91[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]116[/td] [td]74[/td] [td].320[/td] [td].434[/td] [td].494[/td] [td].928[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [td]Dmitri Young[/td] [td]WAS[/td] [td]460[/td] [td]57[/td] [td]147[/td] [td]38[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]74[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]44[/td] [td]74[/td] [td].320[/td] [td].378[/td] [td].491[/td] [td].869[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RK[/td] [td]PLAYER[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td] AB[/td] [td] R[/td] [td] H[/td] [td] 2B[/td] [td] 3B[/td] [td] HR[/td] [td] RBI[/td] [td] SB[/td] [td] CS[/td] [td] BB[/td] [td] SO[/td] [td] BA[/td] [td] OBP[/td] [td] SLG[/td] [td] OPS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [td]Derrek Lee[/td] [td]CHC[/td] [td]567[/td] [td]91[/td] [td]180[/td] [td]43[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]22[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]71[/td] [td]114[/td] [td].317[/td] [td].400[/td] [td].513[/td] [td].913[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [td]Aramis Ramirez[/td] [td]CHC[/td] [td]506[/td] [td]72[/td] [td]157[/td] [td]35[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]26[/td] [td]101[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]43[/td] [td]66[/td] [td].310[/td] [td].366[/td] [td].549[/td] [td].915[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [td]Aaron Rowand[/td] [td]PHI[/td] [td]612[/td] [td]105[/td] [td]189[/td] [td]45[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]27[/td] [td]89[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]47[/td] [td]119[/td] [td].309[/td] [td].374[/td] [td].515[/td] [td].889[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [td]Freddy Sanchez[/td] [td]PIT[/td] [td]602[/td] [td]77[/td] [td]183[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]32[/td] [td]76[/td] [td].304[/td] [td].343[/td] [td].442[/td] [td].784[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [td]Carlos Lee[/td] [td]HOU[/td] [td]627[/td] [td]93[/td] [td]190[/td] [td]43[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]32[/td] [td]119[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]53[/td] [td]63[/td] [td].303[/td] [td].354[/td] [td].528[/td] [td].882[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [td]Jeff Kent[/td] [td]LAD[/td] [td]494[/td] [td]78[/td] [td]149[/td] [td]36[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]20[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]57[/td] [td]61[/td] [td].302[/td] [td].375[/td] [td].500[/td] [td].875[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [td]Garrett Atkins[/td] [td]COL[/td] [td]605[/td] [td]83[/td] [td]182[/td] [td]35[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]111[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]67[/td] [td]96[/td] [td].301[/td] [td].367[/td] [td].486[/td] [td].853[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [td]Randy Winn[/td] [td]SFO[/td] [td]593[/td] [td]73[/td] [td]178[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]65[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]44[/td] [td]85[/td] [td].300[/td] [td].353[/td] [td].445[/td] [td].798[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [td]Alfonso Soriano[/td] [td]CHC[/td] [td]579[/td] [td]97[/td] [td]173[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]70[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]31[/td] [td]130[/td] [td].299[/td] [td].337[/td] [td].560[/td] [td].897[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [td]Jimmy Rollins[/td] [td]PHI[/td] [td]716[/td] [td]139[/td] [td]212[/td] [td]38[/td] [td]20[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]94[/td] [td]41[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]49[/td] [td]85[/td] [td].296[/td] [td].344[/td] [td].531[/td] [td].875[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RK[/td] [td]PLAYER[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td] AB[/td] [td] R[/td] [td] H[/td] [td] 2B[/td] [td] 3B[/td] [td] HR[/td] [td] RBI[/td] [td] SB[/td] [td] CS[/td] [td] BB[/td] [td] SO[/td] [td] BA[/td] [td] OBP[/td] [td] SLG[/td] [td] OPS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21[/td] [td]Jack Wilson[/td] [td]PIT[/td] [td]477[/td] [td]67[/td] [td]141[/td] [td]29[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]56[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]38[/td] [td]46[/td] [td].296[/td] [td].350[/td] [td].440[/td] [td].791[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [td]Corey Hart[/td] [td]MIL[/td] [td]505[/td] [td]86[/td] [td]149[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]23[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]36[/td] [td]99[/td] [td].295[/td] [td].353[/td] [td].539[/td] [td].892[/td] [/tr][tr][td]23[/td] [td]Orlando Hudson[/td] [td]ARI[/td] [td]517[/td] [td]69[/td] [td]152[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]63[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]70[/td] [td]87[/td] [td].294[/td] [td].376[/td] [td].441[/td] [td].817[/td] [/tr][tr][td]24[/td] [td]Juan Pierre[/td] [td]LAD[/td] [td]668[/td] [td]96[/td] [td]196[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]41[/td] [td]64[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]37[/td] [td].293[/td] [td].331[/td] [td].353[/td] [td].685[/td] [/tr][tr][td]25[/td] [td]Jeff Francoeur[/td] [td]ATL[/td] [td]642[/td] [td]84[/td] [td]188[/td] [td]40[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]105[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]129[/td] [td].293[/td] [td].338[/td] [td].444[/td] [td].782[/td] [/tr][tr][td]26[/td] [td]Mark DeRosa[/td] [td]CHC[/td] [td]502[/td] [td]64[/td] [td]147[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]72[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]58[/td] [td]93[/td] [td].293[/td] [td].371[/td] [td].420[/td] [td].792[/td] [/tr][tr][td]27[/td] [td]Russell Martin[/td] [td]LAD[/td] [td]540[/td] [td]87[/td] [td]158[/td] [td]32[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]87[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]67[/td] [td]89[/td] [td].293[/td] [td].374[/td] [td].469[/td] [td].843[/td] [/tr][tr][td]28[/td] [td]Brad Hawpe[/td] [td]COL[/td] [td]516[/td] [td]80[/td] [td]150[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]29[/td] [td]116[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]137[/td] [td].291[/td] [td].387[/td] [td].539[/td] [td].926[/td] [/tr][tr][td]29[/td] [td]Troy Tulowitzki[/td] [td]COL[/td] [td]609[/td] [td]104[/td] [td]177[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]99[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]57[/td] [td]130[/td] [td].291[/td] [td].359[/td] [td].479[/td] [td].838[/td] [/tr][tr][td]30[/td] [td]Ronnie Belliard[/td] [td]WAS[/td] [td]511[/td] [td]57[/td] [td]148[/td] [td]35[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]58[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]72[/td] [td].290[/td] [td].332[/td] [td].427[/td] [td].759[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RK[/td] [td]PLAYER[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td] AB[/td] [td] R[/td] [td] H[/td] [td] 2B[/td] [td] 3B[/td] [td] HR[/td] [td] RBI[/td] [td] SB[/td] [td] CS[/td] [td] BB[/td] [td] SO[/td] [td] BA[/td] [td] OBP[/td] [td] SLG[/td] [td] OPS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]31[/td] [td]Edwin Encarnacion[/td] [td]CIN[/td] [td]502[/td] [td]66[/td] [td]145[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]16[/td] [td]76[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]39[/td] [td]86[/td] [td].289[/td] [td].356[/td] [td].438[/td] [td].794[/td] [/tr][tr][td]32[/td] [td]Prince Fielder[/td] [td]MIL[/td] [td]573[/td] [td]109[/td] [td]165[/td] [td]35[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]50[/td] [td]119[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]90[/td] [td]121[/td] [td].288[/td] [td].395[/td] [td].618[/td] [td]1.013[/td] [/tr][tr][td]33[/td] [td]Brandon Phillips[/td] [td]CIN[/td] [td]650[/td] [td]107[/td] [td]187[/td] [td]26[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]94[/td] [td]32[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]109[/td] [td].288[/td] [td].331[/td] [td].485[/td] [td].816[/td] [/tr][tr][td]34[/td] [td]Mark Loretta[/td] [td]HOU[/td] [td]460[/td] [td]52[/td] [td]132[/td] [td]23[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]41[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]44[/td] [td]41[/td] [td].287[/td] [td].352[/td] [td].372[/td] [td].724[/td] [/tr][tr][td]35[/td] [td]Eric Byrnes[/td] [td]ARI[/td] [td]626[/td] [td]103[/td] [td]179[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]83[/td] [td]50[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]57[/td] [td]98[/td] [td].286[/td] [td].353[/td] [td].460[/td] [td].813[/td] [/tr][tr][td]36[/td] [td]Andre Ethier[/td] [td]LAD[/td] [td]447[/td] [td]50[/td] [td]127[/td] [td]32[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]64[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]46[/td] [td]68[/td] [td].284[/td] [td].350[/td] [td].452[/td] [td].802[/td] [/tr][tr][td]37[/td] [td]Adrian Gonzalez[/td] [td]SDG[/td] [td]646[/td] [td]101[/td] [td]182[/td] [td]46[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]100[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]65[/td] [td]140[/td] [td].282[/td] [td].347[/td] [td].502[/td] [td].849[/td] [/tr][tr][td]38[/td] [td]Shane Victorino[/td] [td]PHI[/td] [td]456[/td] [td]78[/td] [td]128[/td] [td]23[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]46[/td] [td]37[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]37[/td] [td]62[/td] [td].281[/td] [td].347[/td] [td].423[/td] [td].770[/td] [/tr][tr][td]39[/td] [td]Jose Reyes[/td] [td]NYM[/td] [td]681[/td] [td]119[/td] [td]191[/td] [td]36[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]57[/td] [td]78[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]77[/td] [td]78[/td] [td].280[/td] [td].354[/td] [td].421[/td] [td].775[/td] [/tr][tr][td]40[/td] [td]Lance Berkman[/td] [td]HOU[/td] [td]561[/td] [td]95[/td] [td]156[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]102[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]94[/td] [td]125[/td] [td].278[/td] [td].386[/td] [td].510[/td] [td].896[/td] [/tr][/table]
Russell Martin is the only catcher to appear in the Top 40 hitters for average, while Molina is 46th and McCann 52nd. Offensive ability, for catchers, isclearly secondary.

In addition, catchers do not play every day due to having to squat for long periods of time. While I will allow this adds to the difficulty of the position, italso diminishes their value because you cannot count on their contributions in every game.

Back
Top Bottom