What wireless routers you guys using though?

alexgod

Banned
I've been using this old netgear router from 06 and its fine, but my house is too big and the signal kinda dies in the bedrooms.  so today i bought this new netgear dual band n600. its FASTER, but the range on it is trash
sick.gif

what are you guys in larger homes using? i want ot maintain my desktop speed, about 2.5mb down, which this n600 does, but with LONG range, at least 70 feet with walls,floors, etc

I've been using this old netgear router from 06 and its fine, but my house is too big and the signal kinda dies in the bedrooms.  so today i bought this new netgear dual band n600. its FASTER, but the range on it is trash
sick.gif

what are you guys in larger homes using? i want ot maintain my desktop speed, about 2.5mb down, which this n600 does, but with LONG range, at least 70 feet with walls,floors, etc

Used to have an old Belkin router that worked for awhile then would lose the signal easily.
Upgraded to an Airport Extreme and haven't looked back.

Used to have an old Belkin router that worked for awhile then would lose the signal easily.
Upgraded to an Airport Extreme and haven't looked back.

Netgear Simultaneous Dualband. I suggest that you look into a range extender.

Netgear Simultaneous Dualband. I suggest that you look into a range extender.

I'm a huge stickler for home networking after moving into a new house last year.

I still stand by the classic Linksys WRT54G, it has great range. And just so you know, the 5 GHz band on these dual band routers are much faster but have a shorter range than 2.4 GHz, through walls, etc.

I just bought the Linksys E4200, which is pretty expensive for a router, to try it out because I love Linksys products. File transfer is super fast when connected on on the 5 GHz band. I use it to transfer movie files to my NAS. I keep the 2.4 Ghz band Wireless-G only for older wifi stuff. I don't notice a difference in actual internet speeds when connected on wireless-G or N, we have pretty fast internet as it is.

We have a pretty large house, recently built so the walls barely allowed any signal to come through. The best option for you, which is what I did, is to run routers as wired access points. It helped that I put LAN ports in several rooms. This is the best way to maintain maximum speed, any other option and you're sacrificing some speed. If your house isn't wired, it's not too expensive or difficult to run it yourself. Right now, I have 2 WRT54G's downstairs and an E4200 upstairs, all with the same SSID and password so computers see it as one big network and switches automatically to whatever has the strongest signal (similar to colleges). You can go anywhere inside or outside our 9000 sq. ft. house and get no less than 3 out of 4 bars of signal. I felt pretty accomplished after doing all the research and troubleshooting.

I'm a huge stickler for home networking after moving into a new house last year.

I still stand by the classic Linksys WRT54G, it has great range. And just so you know, the 5 GHz band on these dual band routers are much faster but have a shorter range than 2.4 GHz, through walls, etc.

I just bought the Linksys E4200, which is pretty expensive for a router, to try it out because I love Linksys products. File transfer is super fast when connected on on the 5 GHz band. I use it to transfer movie files to my NAS. I keep the 2.4 Ghz band Wireless-G only for older wifi stuff. I don't notice a difference in actual internet speeds when connected on wireless-G or N, we have pretty fast internet as it is.

We have a pretty large house, recently built so the walls barely allowed any signal to come through. The best option for you, which is what I did, is to run routers as wired access points. It helped that I put LAN ports in several rooms. This is the best way to maintain maximum speed, any other option and you're sacrificing some speed. If your house isn't wired, it's not too expensive or difficult to run it yourself. Right now, I have 2 WRT54G's downstairs and an E4200 upstairs, all with the same SSID and password so computers see it as one big network and switches automatically to whatever has the strongest signal (similar to colleges). You can go anywhere inside or outside our 9000 sq. ft. house and get no less than 3 out of 4 bars of signal. I felt pretty accomplished after doing all the research and troubleshooting.

Bought myself a Linksys WRT600N dual-band router a few months ago to replace my old WRT160N. I thought there would be a significant range increase, but it's still doo-doo like my old N router.
indifferent.gif
Can't make the signal spread over the entire house (Through thick cement and re-bar).

Now trying to figure out how to make my old router a repeater... want to use CAT-5 cable to connect both so i have minimal bandwidth loss. Flashed both with DD-WRT... can't get the repeater to work.
30t6p3b.gif
Any ideas?

Bought myself a Linksys WRT600N dual-band router a few months ago to replace my old WRT160N. I thought there would be a significant range increase, but it's still doo-doo like my old N router.
indifferent.gif
Can't make the signal spread over the entire house (Through thick cement and re-bar).

Now trying to figure out how to make my old router a repeater... want to use CAT-5 cable to connect both so i have minimal bandwidth loss. Flashed both with DD-WRT... can't get the repeater to work.
30t6p3b.gif
Any ideas?

Im using this T-Mobile @ home router they gave me when i signed up for their service....but the phone part doesnt work, i just use it for the router, lol.

Its linksys if im not mistaken.

Im using this T-Mobile @ home router they gave me when i signed up for their service....but the phone part doesnt work, i just use it for the router, lol.

Its linksys if im not mistaken.

Originally Posted by djuzi05

i dont know if im willing spend money on all those access points right now. if all else fails then ill try that, though.

im about to try to put my router in the center of the house to see if i can get some good signal.
i looked up one of those linksys cisco routers and their range from what ive read is pretty good.

Originally Posted by djuzi05

i dont know if im willing spend money on all those access points right now. if all else fails then ill try that, though.

im about to try to put my router in the center of the house to see if i can get some good signal.
i looked up one of those linksys cisco routers and their range from what ive read is pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom