What will it take for JB to bring you back: vol. 1st Gen.

If you are going to retro something, bring back the same exact shoe.  You would think it is harder to actually change molds for a shoe, but Jordan Brand insists on doing it and making their classics ugly.  Then they use cheaper materials.  They are going out of their way to give us crappy products.  The market isn't holding them accountable because people buy whatever, but I'm doing my part to let them know this is stupid business by not buying.  The Cool Grey XI's are probably my favorite shoe of all time, but what they're bringing out in December looks like the variants that came out back in the early 2000's.  I'd rather not own the shoe again than pay for what they're giving me.  Will it make a difference?  No, they'll still sell out, but I don't personally care.

As for new designs, bring some fresh talent in.  I haven't been excited about a new Jordan design since the XIV's.  The XX3's were a step in the right direction--and if they weren't, that would have been a problem--but that's it.  If new Lebrons and Kobes and general Nike basketball shoes can be hot, the new Jordans should be hot too--not atrocious like the recent ones.  The line brand is staying afloat using ugly cheap retros, and with the time growing between Jordan actually playing and the present, I'm sure it will die in the near future unless they start executing properly.

Originally Posted by ohdannyboy

Originally Posted by Anomaly

2. Put the Nike AIR back on the appropriate retros.  I have a pretty good idea why MJ puts the Jumpman on the back of the retros, and it revolves around his immense ego.  

jordan became an actual brand under nike in 1997, thus the reason to remove nike from a jordan shoe...same reason chuck taylor's don't have a nike logo even though they are a nike brand now

JB didn't start removing the "Nike Air" logo until 2001. So if they were still putting a nike on jordans after becoming their own brand then i dont see why cant they do it now. And JB was born through Nike. It wasn't just bought off like chuck taylors.

Originally Posted by ohdannyboy

Originally Posted by Anomaly

2. Put the Nike AIR back on the appropriate retros.  I have a pretty good idea why MJ puts the Jumpman on the back of the retros, and it revolves around his immense ego.  

jordan became an actual brand under nike in 1997, thus the reason to remove nike from a jordan shoe...same reason chuck taylor's don't have a nike logo even though they are a nike brand now

JB didn't start removing the "Nike Air" logo until 2001. So if they were still putting a nike on jordans after becoming their own brand then i dont see why cant they do it now. And JB was born through Nike. It wasn't just bought off like chuck taylors.

For me personally, I stopped buying because they lowered the quality but raised the prices.... now how the hell does that make any sense from a consumer's point of view

For me personally, I stopped buying because they lowered the quality but raised the prices.... now how the hell does that make any sense from a consumer's point of view

They were lost til the XXIII's. Those were a point in the right direction, top notch quality, design, and durability. Jb lost me after those...

They were lost til the XXIII's. Those were a point in the right direction, top notch quality, design, and durability. Jb lost me after those...

I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't care if the put Nike Air back on the shoes, as long as they are made right.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't care if the put Nike Air back on the shoes, as long as they are made right.

Not exactly but the things we love them for is the same things we hate them for. If they were to release Infrared VIs w/ "Nike Air' on the heel and 3m on the side, no one would care about the OGs and the people who currently own them would totally turn their back on the brand. It's kind of hard to give us what we want without pissing off the people that have been collecting since before most of these kids were born. I own a few pair of OGs including a pair of DS Columbia XIs. Those Silver Anniversary XIs aren't a threat to my OG value because of the lack of a Jumpman and the soles are clear instead of blue. But, this helps the people who want an all white pair of XI but aren't willing to pay a few hundred to get them. How would you feel if you just paid $900+ on a pair of OG Infrareds and walked into Footlocker and saw the EXACT same shoe for $150??? You don't see Upper Deck or Fleer printing a million Jordan rookie cards so everyone can have one 
laugh.gif
. Also, I'm tired of people complaining about them "ruining a classic". The retros were almost always different, even if it was just slightly. OG Infrareds has 3m on the side, retros (that everyone praises) didnt. OG Breads had a white trim around the patent, the retros didn't. OG Columbias had a blue sole, the retros were clear. We can go on and on. At the end of the day, retros are gonna differ. Hate them for making that decision but that's the only reason Jays are considered "collectibles".

Not exactly but the things we love them for is the same things we hate them for. If they were to release Infrared VIs w/ "Nike Air' on the heel and 3m on the side, no one would care about the OGs and the people who currently own them would totally turn their back on the brand. It's kind of hard to give us what we want without pissing off the people that have been collecting since before most of these kids were born. I own a few pair of OGs including a pair of DS Columbia XIs. Those Silver Anniversary XIs aren't a threat to my OG value because of the lack of a Jumpman and the soles are clear instead of blue. But, this helps the people who want an all white pair of XI but aren't willing to pay a few hundred to get them. How would you feel if you just paid $900+ on a pair of OG Infrareds and walked into Footlocker and saw the EXACT same shoe for $150??? You don't see Upper Deck or Fleer printing a million Jordan rookie cards so everyone can have one 
laugh.gif
. Also, I'm tired of people complaining about them "ruining a classic". The retros were almost always different, even if it was just slightly. OG Infrareds has 3m on the side, retros (that everyone praises) didnt. OG Breads had a white trim around the patent, the retros didn't. OG Columbias had a blue sole, the retros were clear. We can go on and on. At the end of the day, retros are gonna differ. Hate them for making that decision but that's the only reason Jays are considered "collectibles".

1999-2001 was such a great, golden era for Jordan retros. Reproduce an era like that and they will come back

1999-2001 was such a great, golden era for Jordan retros. Reproduce an era like that and they will come back

^I honestly thought that it would too man in '09. I figured 10 years later they would've realized the prime years and go back to the same formula.

^I honestly thought that it would too man in '09. I figured 10 years later they would've realized the prime years and go back to the same formula.

Obviously JB hasn't lost ANY customers. You're all here, posting the same old song. Buying the same shoes. At higher prices and lesser quality materials. Everything changes. Deal with it or get out of my way so I can buy my shoes.

And don't come in here with your urkel voices saying, "see guy, that's why JB pushes us around... cuz of guys like you.."

yada yada. I've been buying Jordans since 1992. Obviously some things have changed but I still love the nostalgic feeling and fact that I can still wear the shoes that I got to see Mike play in. All the memories. The 90's were GREAT.

Like I said, buy the shoes or get out of my way. There are PLENTY of people right behind you waiting to scoop up that size 11.

Obviously JB hasn't lost ANY customers. You're all here, posting the same old song. Buying the same shoes. At higher prices and lesser quality materials. Everything changes. Deal with it or get out of my way so I can buy my shoes.

And don't come in here with your urkel voices saying, "see guy, that's why JB pushes us around... cuz of guys like you.."

yada yada. I've been buying Jordans since 1992. Obviously some things have changed but I still love the nostalgic feeling and fact that I can still wear the shoes that I got to see Mike play in. All the memories. The 90's were GREAT.

Like I said, buy the shoes or get out of my way. There are PLENTY of people right behind you waiting to scoop up that size 11.

Originally Posted by GottaBdaShoes

With all the inventory that's sitting in stockrooms right now, it's a fact that JB has lost customers.  It all doesn't have to do with the quality of the shoes.
Lots of 1st gen customers have jobs now in which sneaker buying has slowed down, and even stopped.  There's also priorities that outweigh buying 12 pairs of the same sneaker in limited colorways.  So until JB changes gives these customers what they want, these customers lost customers will remain lost.
But for every one of the customers that I just mentioned, there is a customer like you that will buy anything that has a jumpman stamped on it no matter what.  But down the road, customers like yourself will grow tired of the JB formula and will also slow or stop their spending on Jordans.  Maybe this is when JB will start to produce some things that bring us back.

Originally Posted by GottaBdaShoes

With all the inventory that's sitting in stockrooms right now, it's a fact that JB has lost customers.  It all doesn't have to do with the quality of the shoes.
Lots of 1st gen customers have jobs now in which sneaker buying has slowed down, and even stopped.  There's also priorities that outweigh buying 12 pairs of the same sneaker in limited colorways.  So until JB changes gives these customers what they want, these customers lost customers will remain lost.
But for every one of the customers that I just mentioned, there is a customer like you that will buy anything that has a jumpman stamped on it no matter what.  But down the road, customers like yourself will grow tired of the JB formula and will also slow or stop their spending on Jordans.  Maybe this is when JB will start to produce some things that bring us back.

Back
Top Bottom