What was your starting salary after college?

They said "we'll offer you 40k, how does that sound?"

I said "that works for me"

They emailed me mine. I was expecting somewhere in the 50s because that's what some previous offers were around 40s-50s, when I saw it was in the 60s I just took it without making a counter offer or asking about a signing bonus. I don't think many companies do signing bonuses though

:lol:

I remember one of my first jobs, I tried negotiating thinking I was doing it.

Killed the interview, they said when can you start? I said tomorrow.

Then I said... "I don't want to start at minimum wage though, atleast $9, you won't regret it!"

They giggled and was like "That's good to know, our base hourly rate is $10.25"

I was like :wow: kthxbai.
:lol: :rofl:

if you don't mind me asking but what do you do?
that looks like some sort of banking... Or consulting.

Last edited:
Graduated with B.S in Marketing last fall. Currently self-employed and actively trading, made 95k during my senior year.

:lol:

I remember one of my first jobs, I tried negotiating thinking I was doing it.

Killed the interview, they said when can you start? I said tomorrow.

Then I said... "I don't want to start at minimum wage though, atleast $9, you won't regret it!"

They giggled and was like "That's good to know, our base hourly rate is $10.25"

I was like :wow: kthxbai.
:lol: :rofl:

Dead *** serious homie! That was a lot bread for a 17 year old.

Last edited:
Just got a possible offer today for $15/hr (New Zealand currency) for a 6 month web development internship which is the industry I want to be in.

Should I negotiate at all or just accept it? I hate my job right now and it's doing nothing for me in terms of the industry I want a career in. I'm 22 and ready to take that low salary and gain as much experience as I can, but still not quite sure what to do at the moment.

Advice ?
Most of the temp contractor jobs fall into two categories: 1. Jobs to get a project done and 2. Jobs that lead to another job. Sometimes they are one in the same, sometimes not. If its the first category, they want to pay as little as possible to get the best value they can. Negotiating won't work if you are doing simple Dev work, because anybody can do that. You can feel free to ask for $17/hr, but if someone will do it for $16/hr, you are out of the equation.

It depends on the company, but a lot of organizations create those temp contractor jobs to take advantage. They want the aptitude and skill set required to do work of a certain pay grade, but they simply don't have to adhere because of the plethora of freelancers and new grads who will accept 30k when they should really be making 50 or 60.

Take it if you want it, but 1. Your performance will be based purely on results 2. You will almost definitely be getting underpaid for the services you render 3. If they do not have clearly defined expectations, you will quickly find yourself doing the work of others. 4. If they aren't planning on offering you a position afterwards, you will be treated poorly and you will be let go as soon as you speak up.

Last edited:
Most of the temp contractor jobs fall into two categories: 1. Jobs to get a project done and 2. Jobs that lead to another job. Sometimes they are one in the same, sometimes not. If its the first category, they want to pay as little as possible to get the best value they can. Negotiating won't work if you are doing simple Dev work, because anybody can do that. You can feel free to ask for $17/hr, but if someone will do it for $16/hr, you are out of the equation.

It depends on the company, but a lot of organizations create those temp contractor jobs to take advantage. They want the aptitude and skill set required to do work of a certain pay grade, but they simply don't have to adhere because of the plethora of freelancers and new grads who will accept 30k when they should really be making 50 or 60.

Take it if you want it, but 1. Your performance will be based purely on results 2. You will almost definitely be getting underpaid for the services you render 3. If they do not have clearly defined expectations, you will quickly find yourself doing the work of others. 4. If they aren't planning on offering you a position afterwards, you will be treated poorly and you will be let go as soon as you speak up.

Its an internship not a contracting job. @ai3mac1 Don't negotiate the salary if you don't have any professional experience to back it up. Alot of internships are a set salary, based off of the companies budget. I'd say take it, remember you have to start somewhere. Goodluck

Threads like this , you just have to take it with a grain of salt because half the dudes in here are lying .

Threads like this , you just have to take it with a grain of salt because half the dudes in here are lying .

:lol: this

And the fact that geographic location does play a role.

For example, I work at a Big 4 and my starting salary of $45K is peanuts compared to someone starting in NYC probably making $55K+, its all relative to the cost of living in the area though.

Hopefully they're not lying about the professions they are in.

You at least get a general idea of the type of career paths you can go after

:lol: this

And the fact that geographic location does play a role.

For example, I work at a Big 4 and my starting salary of $45K is peanuts compared to someone starting in NYC probably making $55K+, its all relative to the cost of living in the area though.
45? You in Florida?

NY/Cali tax & audit are usually in the high 50s/low 60s, at worst, in year 1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom