What kind of dude was the kid Griffey off the baseball field?

He was pretty reserved. He shied away from the public for the most part.

He was as laid back as a superstar could get.

He was pretty reserved. He shied away from the public for the most part.

He was as laid back as a superstar could get.

it wasn't all roses and sunshine. griff had a little bit of an ego problem, but you rarely hear about it. he had some issues with seattle media and threw a few tantrums here and there but all of that has been overshadowed by his legacy. i guess if he had won championships people might have looked for a reason to dislike him, but since he was generally putting up his numbers on lousy teams, people had no reason to hate.

trust me, he's a top 3 favorite athlete of all time for me, but dude definitely had some **** moments in the league.

it wasn't all roses and sunshine. griff had a little bit of an ego problem, but you rarely hear about it. he had some issues with seattle media and threw a few tantrums here and there but all of that has been overshadowed by his legacy. i guess if he had won championships people might have looked for a reason to dislike him, but since he was generally putting up his numbers on lousy teams, people had no reason to hate.

trust me, he's a top 3 favorite athlete of all time for me, but dude definitely had some **** moments in the league.

My friends mom actually HATES Ken Griffey, she booed him at every game (He actually remembers/recongizes her) because of an incident about 10 years back when she caught one of his homers and she wanted him to sign it but he refused and instead offered to give her a few bats for the ball (It was a significant homer if I remember correctly) but she refused, she still has the ball and HATES, and i mean HATES him..

I love him though NH

My friends mom actually HATES Ken Griffey, she booed him at every game (He actually remembers/recongizes her) because of an incident about 10 years back when she caught one of his homers and she wanted him to sign it but he refused and instead offered to give her a few bats for the ball (It was a significant homer if I remember correctly) but she refused, she still has the ball and HATES, and i mean HATES him..

I love him though NH

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

Originally Posted by eight2one

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

woulda been the goat if he didnt get injured

frown.gif
he woulda been...sweetest swing ever
The goat?
roll.gif
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
if not, then who
indifferent.gif
You clearly know nothing about baseball. Babe Ruth? Barry Bonds? Ted Williams? Willie Mays? C'mon now, at no point in Jr's life was he even better than Albert Pujols. Huge stretch to think he would have been considered better than any on these players and quite a few others had he remained healthy. Had he remained healthy his career would have more resembled Hank Aaron, and trust me, no one considers him the GOAT. Homers and highlight-reel catches aren't everything.
Co-sign. Add Stan Musial, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, and even Mike Schmidt.

Griffey had a sweet swing and hit a lot of home runs, but he wasn't close to being a complete enough hitter to be in the GOAT conservation. During his first stint in Seattle (his prime years), he had a .380 on-base percentage... above average but nowhere near elite. He also struck out more often.  And for somebody with amazing athleticism in the field, Griffey didn't steal that many bases.

frown.gif
The goat?
roll.gif
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
if not, then who
indifferent.gif
You clearly know nothing about baseball. Babe Ruth? Barry Bonds? Ted Williams? Willie Mays? C'mon now, at no point in Jr's life was he even better than Albert Pujols. Huge stretch to think he would have been considered better than any on these players and quite a few others had he remained healthy. Had he remained healthy his career would have more resembled Hank Aaron, and trust me, no one considers him the GOAT. Homers and highlight-reel catches aren't everything.
Co-sign. Add Stan Musial, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, and even Mike Schmidt.

Griffey had a sweet swing and hit a lot of home runs, but he wasn't close to being a complete enough hitter to be in the GOAT conservation. During his first stint in Seattle (his prime years), he had a .380 on-base percentage... above average but nowhere near elite. He also struck out more often.  And for somebody with amazing athleticism in the field, Griffey didn't steal that many bases.

Originally Posted by ll JSNTRN ll

I love him though NH
?
laugh.gif

I love him though NH
?
laugh.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

I love him though NH
To each his own, but it sounds like she doesn't understand the negotiation process after a significant homerun is hit.

I love him though NH
To each his own, but it sounds like she doesn't understand the negotiation process after a significant homerun is hit.

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

frown.gif
The goat?
roll.gif
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
if not, then who
indifferent.gif

Sums up my thoughts. IDK about Schmidt though, I think Griffey could have been considered greater than him if he continued on his career ark instead of getting injured. But yeah, agreed on everything else. Might have thown in some of the older era guys too though Cobb, Hornsby, etc.

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

frown.gif
The goat?
roll.gif
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
if not, then who
indifferent.gif

Sums up my thoughts. IDK about Schmidt though, I think Griffey could have been considered greater than him if he continued on his career ark instead of getting injured. But yeah, agreed on everything else. Might have thown in some of the older era guys too though Cobb, Hornsby, etc.

^when i said it i meant in our lifetime, i mean i know dudes like ruth, joe d, mzys are greats

i dont see how u can put bonds on your list

Spoiler [+]
here come the bay area dudes to his defense

^when i said it i meant in our lifetime, i mean i know dudes like ruth, joe d, mzys are greats

Spoiler [+]

Spoiler [+]
Well when you said GOAT, I assumed you meant "greatest of all time" not GOOLT. In any case he's still would not have been better than Pujols or Bonds. Not sure if serious on Bonds, one of the greatest hitters AND outfielders of all time. Regarding Bonds IMO steroids turned him from "just" a future hall of famer into someone basically in God mode. Not sure how much steroids helped him in the outfield or to have a career OBP of .444. Besides every player is relative to his era. Should we discount older generations of baseball players because they used greenies? Or because there were no black or hispanic players? Or because the pitching mound had different elevations? What about in basketball, should we discount every athlete before 1980 because there was no 3 pt shot? Most players were using steroids so the field was even. Everything is relative.

Back
Top Bottom