What Happens to Asian-Americans when the test-taking ends? (Long read)

For any Asian-American, it is a must-read.

I think it was page 6 that had this.  Really resonated with me, and it may resonated with any other Asian-American at the workplace:
“So let’s say I go to meetings with you and I notice you never say anything. And I ask myself, ‘Hmm, I wonder why you’re not saying anything. Maybe it’s because you don’t know what we’re talking about. That would be a go...od reason for not saying anything. Or maybe it’s because you’re not even interested in the subject matter. Or maybe you think the conversation is beneath you.’ So here I’m thinking, because you never say anything at meetings, that you’re either dumb, you don’t care, or you’re arrogant. When maybe it’s because you were taught when you were growing up that when the boss is talking, what are you supposed to be doing? Listening.

damn kid. this article is way overdramatic. it aint that bad at all. Justifying ur 12k/yr because u don't want to play the "game." I'm no ivy league brainy but I'll never overanalyze life to death. Dude needs to get down or lay down. btw, I wish I would've worked harder on SAT's, school and all that to get into an Ivy League.  I aint gwapping like I should be.

damn kid. this article is way overdramatic. it aint that bad at all. Justifying ur 12k/yr because u don't want to play the "game." I'm no ivy league brainy but I'll never overanalyze life to death. Dude needs to get down or lay down. btw, I wish I would've worked harder on SAT's, school and all that to get into an Ivy League.  I aint gwapping like I should be.

Bookmarking for later...

Read the first page though and I'll say this.  As Asians spend more time in this country they'll increasingly assimilate to American culture and those stereotypes won't always hold true. Jews were once looked at like Asians were, great students, heard workers but social outcasts but a century now the stereotype of Jews are ***'s who wear Juicy Couture and carry Louis Vuitton purses.  American culture is like a drug and it will slowly rid any cultural group of its real ethnic identity.  For example, Italian-American are vastly different from Italians, cause there perspective of being Italian comes from living in America.  There are increasingly more Asians getting into fields than aren't considered Asian at all (pop music, acting etc.).

Bookmarking for later...

Read the first page though and I'll say this.  As Asians spend more time in this country they'll increasingly assimilate to American culture and those stereotypes won't always hold true. Jews were once looked at like Asians were, great students, heard workers but social outcasts but a century now the stereotype of Jews are ***'s who wear Juicy Couture and carry Louis Vuitton purses.  American culture is like a drug and it will slowly rid any cultural group of its real ethnic identity.  For example, Italian-American are vastly different from Italians, cause there perspective of being Italian comes from living in America.  There are increasingly more Asians getting into fields than aren't considered Asian at all (pop music, acting etc.).

Interesting article.
For those of you who can't read for 20 minutes straight and are TL;DRing, there is no shame in turning your eyes back to your TV and playing COD/watching Jersey Shore.

Interesting article.
For those of you who can't read for 20 minutes straight and are TL;DRing, there is no shame in turning your eyes back to your TV and playing COD/watching Jersey Shore.

Originally Posted by briannnnn

I think it was page 6 that had this.  Really resonated with me, and it may resonated with any other Asian-American at the workplace:
“So let’s say I go to meetings with you and I notice you never say anything. And I ask myself, ‘Hmm, I wonder why you’re not saying anything. Maybe it’s because you don’t know what we’re talking about. That would be a go...od reason for not saying anything. Or maybe it’s because you’re not even interested in the subject matter. Or maybe you think the conversation is beneath you.’ So here I’m thinking, because you never say anything at meetings, that you’re either dumb, you don’t care, or you’re arrogant. When maybe it’s because you were taught when you were growing up that when the boss is talking, what are you supposed to be doing? Listening.

Originally Posted by briannnnn

I don't know if its only me but in school I only conform to what others have to say. I think I was raised that way because growing up, my parents lectured me on not to talk back to anyone so I wouldn't get in trouble. :/

I don't know if its only me but in school I only conform to what others have to say. I think I was raised that way because growing up, my parents lectured me on not to talk back to anyone so I wouldn't get in trouble. :/

Basic cliffs:
Asians get into elite high schools and colleges.
White people still run the world with very few asians at the very top
They analyze saying the upbringing is causing that

Basic cliffs:
Asians get into elite high schools and colleges.
White people still run the world with very few asians at the very top
They analyze saying the upbringing is causing that

I haven't read the article but I would agree with the premise. Obviously its not limited to just Asians, but a descent portion of them (think back to that WSJ article about about an Asian mom raising her kids highly disciplined, ie. no sleepovers no BFs etc.). The simple fact is in western civilization the smartest, hardest working people aren't at the top. There are tons of smart people out there who can do complex work (financial modeling, anything in technology and engineering etc) but the people that advance have social, managerial, leadership and politics skills. The people that are just smart and work hard but bring little else to the table are put in a corner and do there work and are left alone. There's obviously a good medium but too often this seems to be ignored in this type of strict upbringing (obviously they are all not as strict), practicing the piano daily and playing until you get it right does teach you discipline and persistence but hanging out with friends playing sports etc teaches valuable skills as well.

I haven't read the article but I would agree with the premise. Obviously its not limited to just Asians, but a descent portion of them (think back to that WSJ article about about an Asian mom raising her kids highly disciplined, ie. no sleepovers no BFs etc.). The simple fact is in western civilization the smartest, hardest working people aren't at the top. There are tons of smart people out there who can do complex work (financial modeling, anything in technology and engineering etc) but the people that advance have social, managerial, leadership and politics skills. The people that are just smart and work hard but bring little else to the table are put in a corner and do there work and are left alone. There's obviously a good medium but too often this seems to be ignored in this type of strict upbringing (obviously they are all not as strict), practicing the piano daily and playing until you get it right does teach you discipline and persistence but hanging out with friends playing sports etc teaches valuable skills as well.

Back
Top Bottom