What are people thinking when naming their kids?

I have seen some names but in the last few weeks it's been a conversation around the office. Dealing with people with names like "Laprayshia"... How do the parents think kids can survive society with names like this? Should there be a buffer or overseer of crap like this?

Originally Posted by finnns2003

I have seen some names but in the last few weeks it's been a conversation around the office. Dealing with people with names like "Laprayshia"... How do the parents think kids can survive society with names like this? Should there be a buffer or overseer of crap like this?

I get what you are saying, but on the other hand; why should somebody have to conform and name their child emily or connor etc. you get what Im saying

Originally Posted by megatronjr

eek.gif

Inb4 Megatron

This thread is going to be basically about names black people (African Americans namely) give to their kids, isn't it?

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Originally Posted by blakep267

I get what you are saying, but on the other hand; why should somebody have to conform and name their child emily or connor etc. you get what Im saying

My thing is this.....
Since this thread really is about black people (obviously), and since unlike OP I'm not going to beat around the bush....

If you're not going to conform to those types of names (Mike, Chris, Mary, etc) then why conform to the religion? Like, your ancestors were basically FORCED to take surnames, the religion of your captors but you're just going to change your first name in order to not conform?

Really?

Really?........

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

Inb4 Megatron

This thread is going to be basically about names black people (African Americans namely) give to their kids, isn't it?

laugh.gif

Thank goodness my "African American" father gave me a non-ridiculous name.

Inb4 Megatron

laugh.gif

Thank goodness my "African American" father gave me a non-ridiculous name.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Nah, social norms will change.

My niece watches this cartoon called The Backyardigans Jungle Colors, and one of the main/lead character's name is Uniqua. As in a Janiqua/Unique collabo.

These social norms will change as generations grow up.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that a name should mean something. I believe you should name your child with meaning, importance. Alot of these names are just popping up because they are "creative" or something..
laugh.gif
@ black people (African American's namely)

Originally Posted by buggz05

Nah, social norms will change.

My niece watches this cartoon called The Backyardigans Jungle Colors, and one of the main/lead character's name is Uniqua. As in a Janiqua/Unique collabo.

These social norms will change as generations grow up.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that a name should mean something. I believe you should name your child with meaning, importance. Alot of these names are just popping up because they are "creative" or something..
laugh.gif
@ black people (African American's namely)
Jus sayin, cuz West Indians and black Hispanics (whatever) don't really do this, they generally have generic Christian names. 

Originally Posted by blakep267

My thing is this.....
Since this thread really is about black people (obviously), and since unlike OP I'm not going to beat around the bush....

If you're not going to conform to those types of names (Mike, Chris, Mary, etc) then why conform to the religion? Like, your ancestors were basically FORCED to take surnames, the religion of your captors but you're just going to change your first name in order to not conform?

Really?

Really?........

dude, what are you talking about? I didnt bring up religion at all, just that people should do what they feel and not conform in areas that they dont want to  

Originally Posted by oidreez

How did religion get brought into the conversation?
Thats what I wanted to know. Some people just take every chance they get to bash something

I knew an NBA player that named his daughter Lexus because that was the car he bought with his first NBA check, the car he always wanted...

My 3 month old sons name is Cove.
We get mixed reactions but I could care less.

There is a meaning to my wife and I behind it though.

It's not so much strange names that get me annoyed as it is normal names with stupid a** spellings. I know a girl with a son named Maicein, pronounced Mason. And another girl with a baby named Paitynn, pronounced Payton.

Pretty much just thinking about the hood.

I hear those names on a daily basis.
laugh.gif

Whether you have an African American father or not, I just find it interesting that people have more of a problem with difficult or unusual names from African Americans than they do when they are connected to ethnocentrism.

Originally Posted by hugebird

Whether you have an African American father or not, I just find it interesting that people have more of a problem with difficult or unusual names from African Americans than they do when they are connected to ethnocentrism.
I find it interesting that despite the known fact that employers sift these kinds of names out when resumes come in, people continue to name their kids names like what I put in the OP. Now I just dealt with a "Lakeecha". Like, really? Ignorant as hell. It's a damn joke.

It's one thing for a name to mean something. But to make crap like this up and not see a problem with it, well, society has another thing coming.

IT'S A NAME. PEOPLE CAN NAME THEIR KIDS WHATEVER THEY WANT, NOT WHAT EVERYONE ELSE THINKS IS A GOOD NAME. TOO MANY PEOPLE WITH THE SAME DAMN NAME ANYWAY.

MY REAL NAME IS ARCHIMEDES BY THE WAY.....

DAD HIT ME WITH THAT GREEK NAME FOR UNIQUENESS. BONUS THAT I ENDED UP BEING AN ENGINEER AND LOVING MATH AND PHILOSOPHY.
laugh.gif

WOMEN SEEM TO LOVE IT  
pimp.gif

RACIST THREAD IN DISQUISE
nerd.gif

Inb4 Megatron

The reach 
laugh.gif

Im with OP 

Back
Top Bottom