• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
[COLOR=#red]Only way I mess with an M8 is if it's given to me for free and then I'd sell it anyway. I don't need high quality phone speakers because I use headphones, I prefer to be able to change my own battery and have a few spares. The camera is a gimmick...HTC needs to stop trying to massage a 4 MP sensor and quit the whole ultrapixel gimmick. The only leg HTC has to stand on is build quality...sorry I don't buy smartphones for build quality alone and even that isn't a direct science it's more opinion oriented.

[/COLOR]

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red]The phone feels great in my hand...no flex, no creaking noises when held firmly. When held firmly, the back feels dense which is amazing since in reality the back cover is thin.

I like the fact that it is water resistant. It's a feature that you don't need...UNTIL you need it, and yes I have accidental damage insurance, but without water resistance if my phone were submerged accidentally I'd have to keep it off for 24-48 hours, do the rice bowl technique and pray no damage is done. That's 24-48 hours of downtime, or I'd have to pay a deductible to get a replacement phone...with the S5 you just dry your phone off and use it...Great feature.

Now let's talk about the fingerprint sensor. All you hear on the interwebz is how bunk the S5 fingerprint sensor is. They say, "you have to swipe to use it unlike the iPhone 5s where you just place your finger on it.". Ok here's the brilliance behind the way Samsung implements it. In order to keep the small rectangular button Samsung had to do it that way. It saves space and allows for a thinner bezel. You can still do it one-handed by swiping your thumb long ways and it works great.

There's an app called LastPass that let's you store all your usernames and passwords and assign it to the fingerprint sensor....this allows for one swipe logins for all the websites that you use that require a login. Apple doesn't allow for that at the moment.

There is also a BUILT-IN privacy mode on the S5. You can hide all your pictures and files in privacy mode and it's also linked to the fingerprint sensor. This is great because this is baked into the UI and requires no apps.

The camera is killer...at least for a phone. Not only was the MP upped to 16MP...the sensor is larger and more advanced allowing for better lowlight. They added phase detection autofocus (used in high end DSLRs) which is very fast. Not many if any smartphones use phase detection, it's extremely fast focusing. HDR live preview allows you to see how HDR would enhance your shot. The S5 has one of the best cameras on a smartphone from both a hardware and software perspective.

The screen speaks for itself. Sure it's the same resolution as the S4 (1080p). But the tech has been refined and upgraded...it is %20 brighter than the S4 while draining the battery less. It is also less reflective which helps when using outdoors or in brightly lit indoor environments. Many people complain about Samsung's over-saturated screens, but you can adjust the display to more softer natural tones if you'd like.

Battery life is great so far but of course the battery and the phone are brand new which brings me to the point of replaceable batteries. No matter what battery capacity will get lower in time...there's no way around that. Once it gets to a point where I'm needing a recharge more often I'll get a new battery and use the older one as a backup. Can't do that with a sealed battery point blank. ALSO the battery saving mode on the galaxy will give up to 10 hours of phone and messaging ability with %10 left on the battery. That's excellent if you get caught in a tight situation.

I sat and waited as the new flagship phones were released, did the research, read and listened to a lot of the reviews and impressions, then tried them out for myself. Due to the features I listed above I went with Samantha. Notice very little of what I wrote was opinion...these are hard data talking points. If you are going to say phone A is better than phone B, please show me from an objective perspective.

[/COLOR]

Last edited:
So should i wait for one plus one to be more ready or just skip it?

Because I'm not jumping through no damb hoops for a phone ...

@elderwatsondiggs

You should work for Samsung bro :lol: but nah that's a good review, thanks for presenting facts instead of opinions.

What's your opinion on the G3? From everything I read it seems like its about even with the S5.

*Oh yeah and where the buttons aren't important to me. Have a g2, used to have a s3 so I'm good with both.

dambit

I'm sitting here like

can't decide :lol:

This dude made it seem like the greatest phone a do made :lol: :lol:. If I didn't know it had touch wiz I'd be sold. Touch wiz us the worst.

I wish the n5 has WiFi texting.... I have no service where I'm at.

Last edited:
TW ain't eem that bad b. Plus there are other launchers out there.

It's not the launcher so much as it is the interface tweaks (i.e. constantly being reminded where I can go to change default apps, system sounds, etc.)

This dude made it seem like the greatest phone a do made :lol: :lol:. If I didn't know it had touch wiz I'd be sold. Touch wiz us the worst.

Exact reason I returned the N5. Loved the phone, reception and lack of Wi-Fi calling/texting was a deal breaker.

my nexus 5 is doodoo tier now.. battery sucks, 16 gb is too little and I can't even update my apps cause I have no space,

waiting on that iphone 6 smh

Exact reason I returned the N5. Loved the phone, reception and lack of Wi-Fi calling/texting was a deal breaker.
I always thought it wouldn't be an issue cause I live in a metro area but now I'm on cause for the weekend and it's so spotty. Google dropped the ball on this one. Next nexus has to have it

@elderwatsondiggs

You should work for Samsung bro :lol: but nah that's a good review, thanks for presenting facts instead of opinions.

What's your opinion on the G3? From everything I read it seems like its about even with the S5.

*Oh yeah and where the buttons aren't important to me. Have a g2, used to have a s3 so I'm good with both.

[COLOR=#red]I like the G3 actually. I was actually looking for a reason not to buy the S5 and the G3 presented the best option for me to do so. The screen is gorgeous (QHD), it has a removable battery, and the camera is good too. The UI isn't as bad as people make it out to be. People are kind of schizophrenic about UI's...you'll see the same people saying they like the pure simple Google experience bag on another phone's UI being too plain and simple OR too bloated.

Why didn't I get the G3?? because I only buy one phone at a time and a few features of the S5 made the difference. LG and Samsung are both really good South Korean companies, heck they aren't just competing with smartphones, but they make some of the best washer and dryers, fridges, and TV's. S5 and the G3 can be considered 1A and 1B depending on what features fit you the best. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]Ok so here is my opinion...THERE IS NO PERFECT UI...Every single last UI can be summed up with this statement "If it just had this it would be perfect". It's all about tradeoffs...what tradeoff can you live with, which tradeoff can you not live with. If you answer those two questions honestly, then you will be able to find the best smartphone for you. [/COLOR]

Ok so here is my opinion...THERE IS NO PERFECT UI...Every single last UI can be summed up with this statement "If it just had this it would be perfect". It's all about tradeoffs...what tradeoff can you live with, which tradeoff can you not live with. If you answer those two questions honestly, then you will be able to find the best smartphone for you.
Dropping straight knowledge. Repped.

Looking back, it's kinda like the difference between iPhone and Android preferences, it's all about trade-offs. This is true of almost every modern consumer electronic.

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red]Marketing has an amazing effect on the psyche (read the DeBeers story about diamonds...considered one of the best marketing campaigns ever). With that being said the extra corny name Touchwhiz has probably caused more damage than the actually UI :lol: It's a name that just invites hate. A name like Titanium, or Obsidian would have been better. [/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom