• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, duh. That argument is flawed though because of the amount of devices running the current software version and not the most up to date. The amount of iOS devices running 6.1.2 is far greater than devices running whatever the current version of Android is.

And considering there's 50 different versions of Android with bloat ware from each company, market share isn't surprising at all.
Apple will always have their products to their most updated iOS because they make both the hardware and software. The only androids you can expect to have most updated versions are the ones produced by Google. So unless its a Nexus, whenever Samsung or HTC or whoever do or don't update their phone has nothing to do with OSs in general but those particular phones.

Then why is Android as far as market share concerned relevant to discussions? Don't talk about Android smashing Apple when there's X amount of software versions out.

That's not directed at anyone in here, just relevant to the whole discussion across the Internet.

Android as an OS would be more powerful (to market share) if there were less versions across carriers and manufacturer platforms.

at this point,

HTC: has better and more useful camera FEATURES. better hardware design. better sound, better build quality, technically a better screen (but the difference wont be noticeable)

S4: bigger screen, better AND removable battery, supposedly better camera (yet to really be tested), possibly more cores for the cpu (which also isnt confirmed nor proven to have an effect...yet), and you can add a memory card

I dont mention touchwiz or sense because thats a personal preference really. much less, its android. you can make your phone look like whatever you want. The s4 needs more field testing to see this if the battery will be a big improvement or a slight nudge due to the bigger screen.

Also, the S4 is on 4.2 and the HTC one is on 4.1. If that matters to anybody.

I'ma ask this question again, does the One do the split-screen multi-tasking like the Note 2 and GS4?

Nope.
hope google implements like that for the next update.

Then why is Android as far as market share concerned relevant to discussions? Don't talk about Android smashing Apple when there's X amount of software versions out.

That's not directed at anyone in here, just relevant to the whole discussion across the Internet.

Android as an OS would be more powerful (to market share) if there were less versions across carriers and manufacturer platforms.

Its the same thing as Windows. XP had a crap load more share than Vista and 7 for the longest time with them being out. With 8 being so new, XP and 7 are still ahead of them. But when we its market share, its Windows collectively as one Operating system. Same thing, Android(or iOS), as one operating system.

If people wanna talk Phones, compare Samsung(Galaxy or w/e) to Apple(iPhone).
If people wanna talk OSs compare Google(Android) to Apple(iOS).

When talking about androids market share, why would you not mention all of android software versions out. Its honestly the only reason why they are winning. Its the same reason why window's PC overtook and passed Macsshare way back when. IBM Dell HP Compaq and idk how many damn companies were making PCs, while only Apple was making Macs.

Flagship Phones from Galaxy series (S 3, Note 2) to get new software features
In an interview with PC Mag, Samsung VP of Portfolio Planning, Nick DiCarlo revealed that most of software features found on the Galaxy S4 will make their way to the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note 2 via firmware updates.
Features like the S Translator, S Health, the new S Voice Drive and basically any new software that you can find in Samsung’s Galaxy S4 and isn’t dependent on the new hardware and sensors should be available to the rest of the company’s high-end devices soon.

Link

4g is a dog. it's not even faster than their 3g.

getting sick of sprint. i have 4g coverage but 4g doesnt load my phone takes like 30 secs to switch back to 3g. so i just turn 4g off :smh:
Probably where yall live. Depending on where im at the 4g speeds reach 30 mb I was like yikes. Then I drive down the street and im right back on 3g getting not even 4 mbs. :smh: sprint needs to step it up real talk.

Yeah it is where I live. But I live in the middle of a big city. No excuses for sprint when my roomate next to me is doing 25mb on tmobile.

Smartphones
Mar 15 AT 12:35 PM Taylor Wimberly 66 Comments[h2]This is the Motorola “X Phone”, and it’s going to level the playing field this summer[/h2]
inShare

Imagine a world where you buy your smartphone first and then pick your wireless carrier. Picture a fantasy land where you can customize your phone’s hardware to your liking, similar to how Dell or Lenovo lets you build a PC. You can laugh and say I’m full of it, but I’m here to tell you this could be reality sooner than you think.

According to several anonymous sources within Motorola, the “X Phone” project is real, and the first retail device will go on sale this summer. Our original source said the first “X Phone” product might ship in June, but another fact checker tells us the target date is the end of July.

We have also learned that one of the “X Phone” devices has already leaked out. Remember that unannounced Motorola phone  (pictured above and below) that appeared last week and was quickly dismissed as not the being the X Phone? Our source tells us the device is real, but it was an earlier prototype and the design has undergone some slight changes.

The first “X Phone” will feature a touch sensitive area on the back.

The back of the first “X Phone” is said to look mostly the same as the leaked prototype, but we have learned some additional details. The Motorola logo will act as touch sensitive button that allows you to launch commands. Motorola has included a similar feature on past phones (remember the Backflip?), but it sounds like Google has something special in store for this device.

Patent Bolt just spotted a patent application from Google that covers backside device touch controls. We don’t know what the mysterious back button on the “X Phone” will do, but I speculate it could be used enable a listening mode that allows you to issue voice commands. We already reported on the rumor that Motorola is working on a new human language system, and I have a feeling it will be integrated with this button.

Most people initially dismissed this unannounced Motorola device because it didn’t feature top-of-the-line internals, but you have to connect the dots to understand Google’s strategy for these new “X Phone” devices.

Google is not focused on specs or software gimmicks (like Samsung) for their upcoming products. Instead they want to produce an ultra-affordable mobile device that connects to a bunch of wearable accessories they plan to release later this year. Google Glass and Google Watch are two examples of these accessories, and we are told more are in the works.

And when I say “ultra-affordable” mobile device, I’m talking a starting retail price of $199 or less. Google and Motorola will sell smartphones for the same prices that people are willing to pay for today’s flagships, but these devices won’t be tied to a two year contract.

To the average consumer I’m sure this whole rumor sounds a little far-fetched, but that is what Google and Motorola are banking on. As I said yesterday, people will flip out when they realize they can purchase a customized device, with the latest software, without carrier crapware or contracts, and it’s sold at an affordable price.

Dell revolutionized the PC industry with its direct-sales model and its “build-to-order” approach to manufacturing, and now Google will attempt to do the same with smartphones.

Yeah it is where I live. But I live in the middle of a big city. No excuses for sprint when my roomate next to me is doing 25mb on tmobile.

Well damn I plan on leaving Sprint for T-mobile.

like ninja said a ways back. tmobile is bulletproof in a big city. i left them for sprints unlimited data. now i'm stuck paying more for *** speeds. i'm gonna cop a pre paid plan with 5gb of 4g and i'm straight. only time i had bad service with tmobile is some smaller cities in florida.

Left sprint, full bars on wimax, was getting 3 down .34 up to go to at&t for these speeds..........(plus i get 25% off of the family share plan with my job.............YEEEE)

HTC One review up from gizmodo

http://gizmodo.com/5990716/htc-one-review-the-beauty-is-a-beast

Should I Buy It?

While the jury will remain out until we get our hands on U.S. devices, at this point, all signs point to yes. It's simply one of the most exciting pieces of hardware we've seen in a long time, including the Galaxy S IV. As of this moment, the HTC One is looking like the best Android phone you'll be able to buy for the foreseeable future.

The One will be released on all of the major U.S. wireless carriers, probably in April. No word on pricing or specific dates yet.

Last edited:
So....then what's all the hype about the One? Because it looks nice :lol:

That's all they have well that and the camera but nobody who cares that much about the quality of a photo relies solely on a smartphone. It's still an HTC that probably won't ever be updated without root access and a cooked rom.

dudes must be clutz if their arguement is to hating non plastic devices is because it will break. LOL. If I`m paying over 100 for something It needs to feel premium. I notice every year every review states the Galaxy doesnt feel like a premium device. the One could be God like once a root comes out where you can install a vanilla rom.

So....then what's all the hype about the One? Because it looks nice
laugh.gif
That's all they have well that and the camera but nobody who cares that much about the quality of a photo relies solely on a smartphone. It's still an HTC that probably won't ever be updated without root access and a cooked rom.
QFT. HTC has nice designs but functionality, customization/rooting, unlocking bootloaders prevents it from catching up to Samsung...

Sense is not a skin that attracts basic users and with a locked bootloader is not a phone that will attract hardcore flashers

Not sure why people are bashing on the s4...

Better processor, 13mp camera, 2gb ram, 5 inch 1080p screen?

If Apple had these upgrades it would be considered incremental

Not sure what else people want in a phone 

I'm happy with my N4 but I don't know if this 16 GB is gonna cut it in the long run... aDownloader + Pirate Bay Browser = Clutch

Might look into the One or S4 later this year if the funds are right

QFT. HTC has nice designs but functionality, customization/rooting, unlocking bootloaders prevents it from catching up to Samsung...
Sense is not a skin that attracts basic users and with a locked bootloader is not a phone that will attract hardcore flashers

Not sure why people are bashing on the s4...
Better processor, 13mp camera, 2gb ram, 5 inch 1080p screen?
If Apple had these upgrades it would be considered incremental
Not sure what else people want in a phone 

lol I think it was established dudes are crying because it looks like the gs3, and Samsung done went holly wood. The device has all the standard hardware specs for 2013 which is way more than you would ever need with how OS is now optimized where a dual core phone will run smooth for a while.

^^^^ right! which means, if we're honest, 8 cores cant be utilized yet. its like a bugatti in a neighborhood. nice to look at at, sounds great...but cant be used to its own potential. people r bashing the s4 because again, honestly, there was too much hype that the product didnt deliver. ignoring the worst corniest keynote of all time...the only real changes were 1)bigger screen 2)bigger battery 3)better camera 4)better processor. when iphone does this (much to samsung's ridicule btw) its called an incremental update. now samsung does it and its supposed to be "the next big thing?" people dont respect that. if youre going to bash other companies and products denouncing incremental upgrades....know that you cant turn around and do the same thing. you praise innovation but dont innovate? not good for hype

I prefer HTC hardware design but their Sense UI is garbage plus they slow as hell with updates. If HTC releases a Note competitor I may give it a try but knowing HTC they will skimp on the battery. 
laugh.gif

"Google is not focused on specs or software gimmicks (like Samsung) for their upcoming products."

finally someone with the foresight to break the mold. phones will change. they will become merely one of many devices that connect together and to the cloud. when you get a new phone (or other device) all you'll have to do is log in to your Google account and the rest is done.

meanwhile Samsung is busy trying to beat apple on a soon-to-be-irrelevant business model.

not that I'm happy about Google controlling the world but at least they're trying something new while Samsung and HTC fight over how many cores they can fit in their $800 device that shatters if you sneeze on it. hardware will matter less and less.

/rant

Back
Top Bottom