Vibram five finger shoes, whats ur take on them?

Originally Posted by bittersweet

Originally Posted by BlackStilettos

My friend has a pair and she got kicked out of the gym for wearing them. They are banned from most gyms, so keep that in mind. She swears they are the most comfortable shoes ever though because she has flat feet.
How could she get kicked out? What did they say?
They told her to leave because if a weight falls on her feet or she hurts her feet on one of the machines, they are liable. So...they kicked her out.

Never had a problem at the gym with these.

That's nice for you. Your gym =/= every gym. She's called 6 major gyms in my state, and they said these particular shoes are banned. Also, do a google search and you'll see that a lot of people discuss their banning on fitness message boards.
happy.gif
I'm not making it up.

Originally Posted by bittersweet

Originally Posted by BlackStilettos

My friend has a pair and she got kicked out of the gym for wearing them. They are banned from most gyms, so keep that in mind. She swears they are the most comfortable shoes ever though because she has flat feet.
How could she get kicked out? What did they say?
They told her to leave because if a weight falls on her feet or she hurts her feet on one of the machines, they are liable. So...they kicked her out.

Never had a problem at the gym with these.

That's nice for you. Your gym =/= every gym. She's called 6 major gyms in my state, and they said these particular shoes are banned. Also, do a google search and you'll see that a lot of people discuss their banning on fitness message boards.
happy.gif
I'm not making it up.

^That's just an idiotic policy

If I drop weights on my feet wearing normal sneakers...I'm still going to hurt myself.

^That's just an idiotic policy

If I drop weights on my feet wearing normal sneakers...I'm still going to hurt myself.

i wear mine to the gym all the time. they suck for basketball, mostly because im used to normal shoes with an elevated heel, so when i play in the vibrams i find myself making a conscious effort to jump on shots.

another thing, you can't just wear these things once in a while otherwise your feet will be killing you at the end of the day. you have to give some fairly consistent wear on hard surfaces to get used to the impact so your feet and your stride can adjust...trust me, you want no part of walking heel to toe in this thing. you will want to strike flat footed and toe off rather than heel, flat, toe off.

i wear mine to the gym all the time. they suck for basketball, mostly because im used to normal shoes with an elevated heel, so when i play in the vibrams i find myself making a conscious effort to jump on shots.

another thing, you can't just wear these things once in a while otherwise your feet will be killing you at the end of the day. you have to give some fairly consistent wear on hard surfaces to get used to the impact so your feet and your stride can adjust...trust me, you want no part of walking heel to toe in this thing. you will want to strike flat footed and toe off rather than heel, flat, toe off.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

Name like a sextoy.

yea they do lol

they are supposed to be good for ur feet, but i mean, it all depends on what they're good for and what you do; i'd never wear em. they say shoes that let your feet walk/run on the more natural side (as close as possible to barefoot) are the best for you but i think i'd take that nike free im seeing in FL
grin.gif
. nike's are cheaper neways.

HOWEVER, these five finger shoes should NOT be worn on the casual tip, as in with jeans or something. its foolish and you look absurd. if you're going out and not for the purpose of working out or wutever, leave these shoes at home. seriously. its really stupid to wear them casually
smh.gif
sick.gif
They're the same price (less on a few styles) than Frees. Casual tip eh? You still worrying about what others wear.
eyes.gif

The benefits>>>The stares

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

Name like a sextoy.

yea they do lol

they are supposed to be good for ur feet, but i mean, it all depends on what they're good for and what you do; i'd never wear em. they say shoes that let your feet walk/run on the more natural side (as close as possible to barefoot) are the best for you but i think i'd take that nike free im seeing in FL
grin.gif
. nike's are cheaper neways.

HOWEVER, these five finger shoes should NOT be worn on the casual tip, as in with jeans or something. its foolish and you look absurd. if you're going out and not for the purpose of working out or wutever, leave these shoes at home. seriously. its really stupid to wear them casually
smh.gif
sick.gif
They're the same price (less on a few styles) than Frees. Casual tip eh? You still worrying about what others wear.
eyes.gif

The benefits>>>The stares

I just purchased a pair a few days back for running and have only used them a couple of times. No complaints thus far, but the first run gave my feet quite the work out; they were sore for days! I got them in hopes they'll do something about my gait (I'm flat footed) and also strengthen my ankle muscles to lessen the chance of injury when I play ball.

I just purchased a pair a few days back for running and have only used them a couple of times. No complaints thus far, but the first run gave my feet quite the work out; they were sore for days! I got them in hopes they'll do something about my gait (I'm flat footed) and also strengthen my ankle muscles to lessen the chance of injury when I play ball.

Originally Posted by SenorDragon

Be careful wearing these for running at first just so you can get used to them with your legs and tendons. You don't want to overdo it and spend time recovering.

Originally Posted by SenorDragon

Be careful wearing these for running at first just so you can get used to them with your legs and tendons. You don't want to overdo it and spend time recovering.

my friend (and running buddy) wears these and swears by them.

i don't doubt they are effective... my problem is that i can't get over how they look. i admit it, i do care what other people think.

i don't doubt they are effective... my problem is that i can't get over how they look. i admit it, i do care what other people think.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Found that out the hard way unfortunately.
laugh.gif
First time I thought I would take it easy and do 2 miles, but not running in 2.5 years + these shoes = out of commission for about a week and a half. Probably going to start again doing 1 mile and have to work my way up to the 3-4 I used to do.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Found that out the hard way unfortunately.
laugh.gif
First time I thought I would take it easy and do 2 miles, but not running in 2.5 years + these shoes = out of commission for about a week and a half. Probably going to start again doing 1 mile and have to work my way up to the 3-4 I used to do.

hahah yeah they recommend you dont run over .5 miles with these the first time due to the calf soreness. I have them and i love them. I workout/run/sprint in them. My feet got used to them after awhile you have to ease into it and slowly increase the amount you run in them. I run/workout in them daily now though. Only new thing i found out is that my feet were really blistered after i ran on a track that has the rubber surface and not asphalt, seemed to grip my feet alot more i guess. But yes i like them lol

hahah yeah they recommend you dont run over .5 miles with these the first time due to the calf soreness. I have them and i love them. I workout/run/sprint in them. My feet got used to them after awhile you have to ease into it and slowly increase the amount you run in them. I run/workout in them daily now though. Only new thing i found out is that my feet were really blistered after i ran on a track that has the rubber surface and not asphalt, seemed to grip my feet alot more i guess. But yes i like them lol

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

ohwell.gif

Just pull the trigger dude. If you're running, there is NOTHING to worry about people looking at you. I can understand if people aren't ready for these on a casual level, but for performance, it's worth it to have in the rotation. Especially if your serious about seeing the benefits from barefoot running.

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

ohwell.gif

Just pull the trigger dude. If you're running, there is NOTHING to worry about people looking at you. I can understand if people aren't ready for these on a casual level, but for performance, it's worth it to have in the rotation. Especially if your serious about seeing the benefits from barefoot running.

^Agreed. If you're running in them, people aren't going to have a chance to sit there and look, ask questions, etc.

^Agreed. If you're running in them, people aren't going to have a chance to sit there and look, ask questions, etc.

first time i saw these on a dude about a year ago, i thought my eyes were deceiving me. lol

first time i saw these on a dude about a year ago, i thought my eyes were deceiving me. lol

Back
Top Bottom