VEGAN/VEGETARIAN NTers WHAT DO YOU EAT?

I just wish I could memorize the names of the dishes. I'll be more attentive next time when I go out.

I just wish I could memorize the names of the dishes. I'll be more attentive next time when I go out.

As an alternate to vegan, what about sticking to unprocessed foods?

I just can't get myself to understand the ethical argument for cutting out meat completely. And ultimately the "eating healthier" argument boils down to a lack of self-control, regardless of whether you eat meat or not.

So the only argument I'm fine with is the religious/cultural/habit reason, but then again that's just for me. You do you.

That said, well-made vegetarian dishes are some of the best. It takes a little more effort and money but there is so much really good stuff you can eat that's vegan. Like Meth is saying, you just gotta plan ahead. Don't go walking around the airport or the school cafeteria thinking you can put together a satisfactory vegan meal. I know this from my experiences with Lent and how I usually give up in the first week.

I just can't get myself to understand the ethical argument for cutting out meat completely. And ultimately the "eating healthier" argument boils down to a lack of self-control, regardless of whether you eat meat or not.

So the only argument I'm fine with is the religious/cultural/habit reason, but then again that's just for me. You do you.

That said, well-made vegetarian dishes are some of the best. It takes a little more effort and money but there is so much really good stuff you can eat that's vegan. Like Meth is saying, you just gotta plan ahead. Don't go walking around the airport or the school cafeteria thinking you can put together a satisfactory vegan meal. I know this from my experiences with Lent and how I usually give up in the first week.

The point most people can take from this thread is that there are some really great meals that don't involve meat.

I was vegetarian for three years. It didn't effect my weight much at all, and I didn't feel like a different person. Most lifestyle changes aren't going to involve a meat vs. veggie showdown. If you're eating healthy you're incorporating protein and the rest of the food groups. Where you find that protein is up to you.

The point most people can take from this thread is that there are some really great meals that don't involve meat.

I was vegetarian for three years. It didn't effect my weight much at all, and I didn't feel like a different person. Most lifestyle changes aren't going to involve a meat vs. veggie showdown. If you're eating healthy you're incorporating protein and the rest of the food groups. Where you find that protein is up to you.

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

You are absolutely right, you can eat meat and be healthy. To be honest I was prolly a little healthier when I ate meat (I stuck to mostly seafood and lean poultry).
ohwell.gif
 I will tell you tho, if losing weight is your goal a vegetarian diet works wonders. I look borderline malnourished. My seventh day adventist friend said he's gonna start cooking for me once a month to help out.
laugh.gif

How can you understand a religious reason, but not an ethical one? I honestly don't trust this country's ability to raise and kill animals humanely. I'll refrain from getting into a philosophical argument tho, it all boils down to perspective. I'm in the minority, a predator who cares about the well-being of its prey. I guess I can see how people don't understand it and I don't judge.

You are absolutely right, you can eat meat and be healthy. To be honest I was prolly a little healthier when I ate meat (I stuck to mostly seafood and lean poultry).
ohwell.gif
 I will tell you tho, if losing weight is your goal a vegetarian diet works wonders. I look borderline malnourished. My seventh day adventist friend said he's gonna start cooking for me once a month to help out.
laugh.gif

How can you understand a religious reason, but not an ethical one? I honestly don't trust this country's ability to raise and kill animals humanely. I'll refrain from getting into a philosophical argument tho, it all boils down to perspective. I'm in the minority, a predator who cares about the well-being of its prey. I guess I can see how people don't understand it and I don't judge.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

I already look borderline malnourished so I don't wanna know what I'd look like without meat.
tired.gif

laugh.gif

As for the ethical reason, the part I don't understand is when people think it's wrong to eat meat period. Like even if they were lost in Alaska, they wouldn't catch and eat a salmon... It sounds like you're doing it because you don't want to support the way we raise and kill animals, not necessarily because you think eating another animal is inherently wrong. If so, I do understand, and I wish we had better ways of attaining meat (and less of a reliance on it in our typical diets so that it would be sustainable).

ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

I already look borderline malnourished so I don't wanna know what I'd look like without meat.
tired.gif

laugh.gif

As for the ethical reason, the part I don't understand is when people think it's wrong to eat meat period. Like even if they were lost in Alaska, they wouldn't catch and eat a salmon... It sounds like you're doing it because you don't want to support the way we raise and kill animals, not necessarily because you think eating another animal is inherently wrong. If so, I do understand, and I wish we had better ways of attaining meat (and less of a reliance on it in our typical diets so that it would be sustainable).

ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

tired.gif

laugh.gif

It can be hard to eat enough as a vegetarian and especially as a vegan because sources of food have a lower energy density. Coconut milk, nuts, and seeds are easy ways to fit in some calories. Make a smoothie if it's that hard to cook for you. Coconut milk, nut butter, fruits, etc.
It seems to me like many vegetarians/vegans don't agree with the way that most commercial farms produce the meat. Hormones, antibiotics, grain-fed animals, trapped inside buildings, etc. I wonder how many would feel the same way if they were buying from a more healthy source. Pastured, organic, grass-fed animal products are many times more healthy than commercially available animal products.

I agree with avoiding processed foods. I don't even enjoy processed foods like I used to. They're way too aggressive tasting most of the time. Too sweet, too sour, etc.

ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

tired.gif

laugh.gif

It can be hard to eat enough as a vegetarian and especially as a vegan because sources of food have a lower energy density. Coconut milk, nuts, and seeds are easy ways to fit in some calories. Make a smoothie if it's that hard to cook for you. Coconut milk, nut butter, fruits, etc.
It seems to me like many vegetarians/vegans don't agree with the way that most commercial farms produce the meat. Hormones, antibiotics, grain-fed animals, trapped inside buildings, etc. I wonder how many would feel the same way if they were buying from a more healthy source. Pastured, organic, grass-fed animal products are many times more healthy than commercially available animal products.

I agree with avoiding processed foods. I don't even enjoy processed foods like I used to. They're way too aggressive tasting most of the time. Too sweet, too sour, etc.

Back
Top Bottom