Varejao to the Bobcats

laugh.gif
so he ended up getting less? and is staying with the cavs afterall?

^ya pretty much
laugh.gif

he turned down a 3-year 21 mill deal to accept a three-year deal for 17, just for a player option after two....

In my opinion, it's pretty obvious Varejao knows the Cavs will match, and is simply playing for the that one year after Gooden's contract expires. Drewbecomes a free agent after the '08 season, which allows Varejao to possibly assume starter PF minutes (at least he hopes) going in his contract year for'09.

Not a bad strategy, but certainly not worth all the nonsense he's caused the last three months.

roll.gif

Originally Posted by SenatorJeffSmith

I was listening to the radio earlier today and got the full scoop.

The Bobcats have no plans to have Varejao on the team. The offer sheet they tendered was done as a favor to AV's agent Dan Fegan. The Bobcats offer (from the Charlotte observer) was:
The Bobcats figure to be offering the mid-level exception, which represents a first-year salary of $5.36 million this season. A player signing for the mid-level must sign for a minimum of three years, but the player can get an opt-out, making him an unrestricted free agent after two seasons.
According to that same source the Cavs intend to match the offer. Apparently this was done to get AV in uniform. (My comment: ?).

Summary: Anderson Varejao and his agent Dan Fegan held out for 18 games for LESS MONEY
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I haven't seen this type of negotiating skills since George Costanza held out for LESS money to do a television program for NBC.

Frankly, the Bobcats or any other team can have Andy.

Where is Ididit? Is Fegan still a great agent?
roll.gif

Why is that a bad deal? He gets to be a free agent in two years instead of three years for slightly less money. The other route was becoming a free agentafter one year but making only 1.2 mil. I'd say it's not a bad move, not to mention if he sucks like everyone thinks he will, he still has an optionfor a third year.

Originally Posted by kobefan88

moral of the story, never listen to ididit
True story.

Dude hypes up all these potential NBA trades/signings/deals/news/info, and usually comes up short.
laugh.gif

This bum better be a bust this season.
laugh.gif
I've had so much trouble at the C spot in fantasy basketball, and I carried around dead weight by keeping himon my roster all the way through last week. Then I dropped him, and now he's going to play again?!

Tool.
laugh.gif

I see that NST picked him up in my league, the Midwest Division. No offense to you, NST, but I hope this dude fails at the NBA this year.
tongue.gif

Even though he got less money, I still don't think he's worth it.

I hate this guy... but I had to pick him up in my NT Fantasy league, he is trash but will probably give me more than Brian Skinner.

Varejao's labor strike ended without gettin' his *!@+.
laugh.gif

It's awkward for fans to welcome him with open arms after what he's done. There's gonna be mix emotion about this dude.

[h4]Give Ferry credit for Varejao victory[/h4]
By Johnny Ludden

Tuesday, Dec 4, 2007 7:55 pm EST

So Anderson Varejao gets his $17 million and a chance to prove he's worth more in two seasons, and the Cleveland Cavaliers get back their floppy-haired, frenetic forward at a below-market cost.

And, for that, even the Cavaliers' rivals should be thankful.

By staring down Varejao's stubborn agent, Dan Fegan, Cavs GM Danny Ferry struck a blow for front office officials everywhere. Ferry didn't just beat one of the league's toughest negotiators -- "Danny Ferry cleaned (Fegan's) clock," said one giddy rival agent -- he prevented Fegan from setting a precedent for other prospective holdout candidates.

Had Ferry caved to Fegan's contract demands, which, at one time, were said to average $10 million a season, future restricted free agents would have had considerably greater incentive to stage their own sit-and-wait campaigns.

"To an agent, this could have become the NFL," said a general manager of another NBA team, alluding to the NFL's propensity for enduring training-camp holdouts. "We could have lost all decorum to team building."

Cleveland officials were "pleasantly surprised" when they were notified Varejao had signed the Charlotte Bobcats' three-year offer sheet worth slightly more than $17 million. The Bobcats' offer contains an opt-out clause allowing Varejao to become a free agent after two seasons, one season earlier than the Cavs would have liked, but also one season later than Fegan initially sought in his negotiations with the team. More importantly, the offer is for less money annually than what the Cavs had offered. Charlotte didn't bother to structure the contract to include a large lump payment, further evidence even the Bobcats knew the Cavs planned to keep Varejao.

The Cavaliers intend to match the offer sheet not long after it hits their desk. They want Varejao in uniform as quickly as possible. He isn't going to fix all of their problems, but he'll certainly help.

The Cavs also aren't worried about the comments Varejao made last week when he claimed he no longer wanted to play for Cleveland, dismissing them as the type of rhetoric that sometimes surfaces during difficult negotiations. Even if Varejao is disgruntled, he still needs to play hard -- and continue to be a good teammate -- if he wants to eventually land the type of payday he feels he deserves.

For now, Varejao will take his $17 million and the Cavaliers will celebrate. So should nearly every other team.

Ferry didn't just beat one of the league's toughest negotiators -- "Danny Ferry cleaned (Fegan's) clock,"
laugh.gif

I know all of NT hates the guy, but realistically he went from getting paid like $900K to about 6 mil per season.....

I say he still came out pretty well.

yeah on the radio they said this was good for the cavs to not give in to his original offer. he wanted somewhere around 10 mil a year and his holding out ledto him getting about half that. the cavs organization is supposedly happy this will soon be over. i know he better perform though after all this or there willbe some serious boos coming from the Q.

If I were a fan at the Q, i would boo all day. This dude isnt worth what the cavs will pay. hes only worth his rookie contract. I hope all cavs fans get on hisbehind for being an inconsiderate female dog.

It would be nice if the cavs front office could fine them or something.

hes only worth his rookie contract.

Statistical evidence says you're wrong. You can stop pretending that Varejao is only worthy of a 2nd round, 30th pick rookie contract.

Damn, Demetrius Nichols waived AGAIN? Cavs had to do it to make room for Varejao. It was Nichols or Shannon Brown. One has a guaranteed contract.

one of the reasons i can't take the NBA's fantasy basketball show seriously..

they referred to dude as "the brazilian superstar anderson varejao"

seriously.. superstar?
laugh.gif

then they proceed to post his stats - turns out, his widely publicized 6 and 6 stats are ROUNDED UP.

dude's career averages are like 5.7 pts and 5.5 rebounds a game.. shooting 49% from the field and 57% from the line.

any money he gets is stolen money.

Is it really necessary to go through the long list of big men NBA draft picks that have been total busts, been paid, and cannot even carry the water forAnderson Varejao?
any money he gets is stolen money.

How can it not be stolen? It's not like the guy was effective or anything. He had nothing to do with Lebron emerging as the best player in the NBA.

Please stop pretending like Varejao isn't worth at least 5 mil per.

I've heard that Bobcats GM Rod Higgins asked for only one thing in exchange for presenting the offer sheet. Higgins said that MJ requested that AndersonVarejao and his family may never purchase air jordans----ever.

Back
Top Bottom